Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I thought that we did, but it wasn't until way late in the book(?) It's been a while since I read it.

I really like the show, my daughter and I are 2 episodes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I've read the book... but only relatively recently. Because I'm not from the U.S and we don't get assigned this book in school and it isn't commonly talked about (I've never seen it on shelves, I randomly came across the kindle version and read it on a whim). If the show had come out a year earlier I would have appreciated spoiler tags.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
The dim lights and little use of technology is more for the whole "return to traditional values" thing I think. In the book they have a tv in the Waterford's house, though it's rarely used.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

BattyKiara posted:

I'm surprised the wives are allowed relatively modern clothes. I would think they would be bundled up like all the other women. For some reason it seems out of place that the wives are allowed to walk around without any kind of headdress. Wouldn't they too be bound by the new modesty laws?

I suppose that's where the line was drawn. The wives are not expected to be "empty vessels waiting to be filled" (a line I just caught in my reread), devoid of personality and desires like the Handmaids are.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

precision posted:

Pretty much. season 2 should be more or less entirely new material. The slight difference is that in the book, Nick flat out claims to be in Mayday, rather than just saying "Trust me".

One other minor difference is I don't think they did a test, so June only had the "feeling" she was pregnant (that's if I'm remembering correctly). And I can't remember if she'd told Nick. I felt a lot more positive about her trusting him in the show.

• Locked thread