Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Renewed for S2. I'm curious as to where they'll go given the brevity of the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I don't have a problem with using contemporary music but I laughed out loud at that scene. The show can show the soul crushing despair that comes with compromising yourself in a hopeless situation but then they undermine that with really overt "rebellious badass girl power" moments? It's just weird and weakens the significance of the scenes that actually hit.

I'd expect this show to be heavy handed but the overuse of slow motion and other framing devices that basically yell "PAY ATTENTION HERE VIEWER" suggests that they don't really have any faith in the audience to figure things out on their own, so everything has to be oversold (I think a lot of current prestige TV does this, FWIW).

The producers are probably weeping with gratitude that Trump won, this show will run as long as he's in office.

Yeah, this show is very good, but easily my least favorite part is the showrunners' weakness for musically underscored, heavy-handed "empowering" mic-drop moments that simply don't fit the overall tone.

I get that it can't be completely, unrelentingly bleak, Offred should be able to take some modest measure of satisfaction in her little subversions of the Gilead regime, but for chrissakes, do it with some loving subtlety next season.

• Locked thread