Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just started watching this. I read the first, I dunno, chapter or two of the book a decade ago, and I'm familiar with Margaret Atwood, so I have​ a little bit of an idea what to expect.

But, holy poo poo they aren't allowed to read. That makes sense, but I didn't predict it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's rough seeing Elizabeth Moss in this role. Not because she's bad. The opposite. I spent all of Mad Men hoping for her to find happiness, and this is the next role I see her in. It's like back to square one against the patriarchy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It depends

It's important to remember that the setting is not "post apocalyptic". There is a perfectly functional societ and government.

If by 3/4 of the way there, someone means "of the events that need to happen to set this in motion, 3/4 have happened", yeah, that's pretty wrong.

On the other hand, if someone means "most of the additudes, ideologies and strategies portrayed here already exist" then, yeah, that's completely right.

The things that don't exist in the US right now certainly exist other places in the world.

And also, revolution and cultural cleansings can happen pretty quickly.

The loving tinderbox that the world would turn into if people were afraid there would be no more babies. If it suddenly came out that birth control had doomed humanity, pro choice people would be lynched in the streets.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Chechnya is putting homosexuals in death camps right now.

Reeducation camps have always been a thing. Putting "delinquent women" in religious reeducation camps that double as 'job placement' programs doesn't sound that far fetched.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Le Saboteur posted:

The one thing I find totally unbelievable is how quickly they make the modern world fall in this show. Goes from like 0 to religious militia they've never heard of once locking women out of their jobs. I know why they do it because of a lack of time it's just really weird how they chose to do it.

I agree that it's stretching it. But maybe we can assume that the religion already existed at the time of the flash backs, and was just more fringe.

The whole kind of reminds me of the rise of ISIL/ISIS

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think the realism of how the world got from the world we know to how it is isn't really important. She could have set it farther in the future if she wanted it to be more realistic, but it's better to have characters that remember what it was like "before".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, sure. Could it literally haopen to us the way it happened im the show? No. Should people be constantly vigilant that this sort of thing could be happening? Yes.

3 months ago, I never would have expected that I would have to worry about mainstream white supremacists and neonazis in the United States. Like, these were ideologies that were still very much alive, but they didn't have mainstream acceptance, and now they do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

If anything the theme of the times is democracy slowly being chipped away by the rise of right-wing (or something far-right) authoritarianism. Yeah, Gilead is maybe still unbelievable in our current times, but it isn't like everything is really going so well at the moment either.

I guess post-apocalyptic dystopias if anything feel safer because 1. they are worlds that are so different and 2. they probably aren't going to happen. As you said, political dystopias already happen in our world.

That said, I don't think Gilead would actually be that sustainable in the long-term because its economy seems pretty much non-existent, and it seems generally technophobic. Hell, I bet it's birthrate is probably much lower than other countries that actually tried to use science/medicine to address the issue. They only a handful of kids being born already, and the most advanced piece of medical equipment they had during the birthing scene was a stool with a hole in it.

(Also, the only educated people that can use their skills at that point are a handful of men connected to the regime.)

Hell, even North Korea tries to invest in R&D even if it is mostly for missiles and nukes.

I think this is also pretty interesting. It kind of mirrors the way that right wing rejection of science is loving us over right now. They abolished higher education and sent "all the university professors to the colonies". Literally staking their future on the principle that their ignorance is as good as lieberal education.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I saw a headline that said Margaret Atwood wrote new content for the series. I don't know the extent of that or if it matters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, part of the premise is that there have been fertility issues for awhile. So a giant civil war with very few children would actually result in a giant drop in population.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We also know that a bunch of people tried to escape to Canada.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

I think that post means that you're being shown a single city under control of a particular regime but without a clear sense of how far its control extends beyond or of how many people live there, or how stable that control is. It's like how ISIS can run a city and if you happen to be in that city, it doesn't really matter what the bigger picture is. The story's built out of 20th-century revolutions like in Cambodia or Iran. It doesn't have to be a totalitarian state or a superpower to kill everyone with glasses or start doing fgm.

yeah, this. I don't think we're supposed to expect that every city in america looks like what we're shown. Just that this one does.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But the part of society we're seeing isn't analogous to a city, even if it geographically used to be one. We're seeing the estates of the super rich, their nearby academy, and their local market. This is not a place that is near peasents. It's not an urban center.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't think so.

What you're saying, essentially, is that what they're showing you is an aberration: that this is not what things are like. But... what would the point of that be?

No, the point is to show you how things are. They show you the essence of this world (that it's extremely mysoginistic and that women are under some pretty brutal control) through a character who is not special, but rather living what many characters are living.

The themes and the world aren't really interesting if we're meant to assume that somewhere not too far there's a bunch of poor people living lives indistinguishable from Pre-Gilead ones.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

But I guess I'm starting to understand your problem with the setting. Like if you literally believe that the setting you're suppose to believe in is a population density of like 50 people per city and not that we are seeing a small section of an elite neighborhood.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Part of it is just about storytelling. The story that is being told in this, and most post-apocalyptic stories, is about how people living in a situation. The story of how things got that way is a fundamentally different story.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The thing is though, they shouldn't remember what it was like when the world was "normal", because their normal wouldn't have been the same as ours to begin with.
But my point is that you can tell a more powerful story when characters can relate back to our world, regardless of how realistic it is. It's why almost all dystopian or post-apocalyptic stories have either fish our of water time travelers or characters who discover or have access to recorded history of the past.

quote:

That's one example of a recurring problem with this show, which is that it seems to expect the audience to already agree with it. Like, they don't explain her actions there, because there's this unspoken understanding that we all know why she's doing that.
...but they do go out of their way to set it up in the scene they all have point at the one girl and blame her. We see Offred not wanting to do it, and then the headmistress notices her hesitation and comes over and is like "what, you don't think she did anything wrong? you don't think sin is bad?" and Offred starts to participate. It's like, a direct explanation and foreshadowing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna confess that I stopped after episode 2. It was really good, but I don't know if I can watch this. I heard about what happens in episode 3, and I don't know if I can handle watching it. I'm sure I will eventually, it's just... too much right now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys.

So we are pretty much left to guess since right wing nutter takeover occurred? Probably something like 3-5 years earlier?

We can kind of guess based on the age of her kid in the flashbacks and the fact that she says her kid would be 8 in episode 2. But obviously there's a lot of wiggle room with actor ages.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's dumb. Not everyone is going to have read it just because it's been around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I only even knew the book existed from it being on my parent's bookshelf, and hearing its title come up occasionally when people talk about dystopian fiction. I had no idea it had been adapted into films until reading the op of this thread. I knew that it was considered somewhat important, but I'd only read like a chapter or two of it. It was published 2 years before I was born. I've read probably more than the average person, but wouldn't consider myself an avid reader.

That idea that the average television viewer has a read a 30+ year old book because they watch a tv show is... unrealistic.

• Locked thread