Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone who thinks the world couldn't turn into this show virtually overnight is incredibly naive.

This show should not be so entertaining considering how utterly bleak it is. Good to see Rory doing some heavy acting. God drat episode 3.

Have they intimated whether this follows the novel closely? There's already several big deviations and I think they're heading for a very major deviation (which most of you can probably guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Elizabeth Moss might have had some say in the musical choices, Jay Reatard is the exact kind of stuff she's into.

The Simple Minds needle drop was absolutely fantastic. Part of why this show is so devastating is that it keeps having moments of humor or hope before reminding you that everything is terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, we aren't really been shown a "totality" situation. They have total control over this small area the show takes place in, but we already know there are rebels and whatever is going on in Alaska.

You have to keep in mind that the flashbacks don't take place in our world - in the flashbacks, the fertility rate has been dropping steadily for a long time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The food in the supermarket could easily be read to have been produced elsewhere and stolen with the new authority simply printing new labels for the cans. And yeah, it's implied that most of New England just went to Canada, and I think that was even before the "cops just slaughtering protestors" scene.

e: you know just once we could have a thread without devolving into the argument of tactical realism

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Strahovski is the real surprise, she was a highlight of noted bad show Chuck (well, it had two good seasons) but "range" was not something I'd seen from her yet, and she is doing very well here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ardennes posted:

I mean in all honesty we (the West) are already sliding in a more authoritarian direction as it is, what would it take for to push us over the edge?

If the police started literally just murdering protestors I feel comfortable in estimating that half the adult population of America would want to just run the gently caress away as fast as possible. Especially if they thought it was isolated to big cities or whatever and they could just run to Kansas or Colorado.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, to be sure, I would watch the gently caress out of a "prequel season" if for some reason they decided to do that. I'm just saying I don't need to see it to believe (enough) in the premise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whalesteak posted:

I'm not sure if I wish the show were more dense (a la Children of Men) or slowed down more.

I mean, I get where you're coming from - it's something that I thought as well, especially since it's the biggest deviation from the source material so far (making it seem "closer")

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't recall if this is a point in the book, but the show definitely gave me the vibe that the fertility rate dropping has been gradually turning the world (more) misogynist. Birth rate down, average dumbass is gonna think "well obviously something must be wrong with the women because nothing's wrong with me!"

Anyone know if the new episode goes up at midnight or sometime tomorrow? I have never been so eager to see more horrible dread.

Also, side note, kinda interesting timing for Hulu to debut this show and Harlots at the exact same time (first episode of that show is good, second is pretty bad, doubt I'll keep watching despite lots of good actresses on offer)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh yeah episode 4 is not letting up. Holy poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't tell if the Doctor she saw was serious or it was another trap for June.

I think that was the point, that she couldn't tell either. It seemed like she really wanted to trust the doctor but knew it could be a trap, 1984-style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I was not expecting an entire Jay Reatard song at the end of an episode. That was pretty cool.

Yeah that was great. Elizabeth Moss is a big indie rock fan so I'm thinking that was her choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

This is basically a Black Mirror episode stretched in a full season. Lots of unnecessary filler here, especially in the hat department.

The wrongest of wrongthink. Send this one to the Colonies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This episode had the biggest diversions from the book yet, and now I can see how they're going with at least one more season. They've been careful to set things up to be ambiguous; it was pretty obvious that Nick was an Eye, but I think it's fairly likely he's a double agent for Mayday. And now they're even laying it out that Mrs. Waterhouse could end up more on the side of the rebels.

Having The Commander turn out to be a nihilistic pragmatist was also pretty interesting. He seems to know that only a tiny number of women prefer their lives now ("it's better than getting hosed behind a dumpster" is not a ringing endorsement) but doesn't seem to be in a position to act on that. I hope that soon they go into what his actual role in the government is.

e: oh yeah and it was a really touching moment to see that Offglen's new mistress is completely sympathetic to her and seems to genuinely care about her

precision fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 11, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are you referring to the one with Nick or the one with the Commander? Either way, I agree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The moment when they both started enjoying it, I was sure Mrs. Waterhouse was going to flip out and try to kill one or both of them.

edit: and this post could refer to either scene as well, actually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the only technological purge seems to be burning books so that women can't read.

I got a slight chuckle out of the "it's all over the Internet" line, mostly because it gives the viewer hope - this little hosed up place is Not The Whole World.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I imagine season 1 will end where the book does (sans epilogue) and season 2 will be about June joining Mayday, with the probable reveal that Nick is definitely a double agent, and even possibly including some help from Mrs. Waterford

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

It loving perplexes me how a Scientologist is the main character.

Oh jesus, they got Elizabeth Moss too? At this point it's loving well documented that the CoS is wildly abusive and terrible, what the gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

So I gotta ask, does the story have some cathartic moments to keep it from being 100% depressing or is it a slog through the depths of humanity all the way through? I don't need to see Offred pick up a gun and start mowing down every man she sees(though I wouldn't be opposed to it either) but a few good moments would be enough to get me through the series.

The novel ends on a hopeful, but ambiguous, note. Then there's an epilogue that is unambiguously "good" (the regime we see in the show only lasts like 10 years)

e: oh, but to answer your actual question, yeah there are a lot of things coming up that aren't just "pure misery"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

She was raised with a Captain's hat.

Leah Remini's Scientology documentary almost made me physically ill, which is saying something since I've been aware of their awfulness since the mid-90s hurricane of crazy that prompted the CoS to successfully use Interpol to get the identity of everyone that had used anon.penet.fi

http://www.spaink.net/cos/rnewman/anon/penet.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I went to a super progressive middle school in "the nice part of New Jersey" (seriously, it's gorgeous, up in the north where all the mountains are) and so in freaking 8th grade we were assigned 1984 to read. That poo poo will gently caress up a 13 year old kid man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
loving hell, that was the best (and hardest to watch) episode yet. Just... gently caress. And that ending speech, Moss has got to be a lock for some awards here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BigglesSWE posted:

The ending really got me thinking: what other solutions do states around the world make up to fix the birth rates?

If fertility was as low as it is in the show, ie literal possible death of the human race, I think a very popular solution would end up being "give any woman who has a child a ton of money and status". Even without looming death, humans generally want to have kids, so you would end up with a culture where any couple who has a child becomes a celebrity and probably they all get their own reality show or get book deals etc.

edit: I'm not saying this is a good solution or a good thing, just what it seems like our current society would do, or at least, our pre-Trump society

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was strongly implied that Mexico was far worse off radiation and environment wise, and therefore really desperate (not one baby in SIX YEARS). Meanwhile Gilead are having enough babies to casually trot out the 20 they've had just in the past year alone. Compound that with the fact that we can assume every place in the world with morality and working internet will have nothing to do with Gilead and I think it's obvious we're supposed to assume Mexico is turbofucked and Gilead is merely hosed once a month.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way they've changed Mrs. Waterford's backstory makes me even more suspicious she's going to end up helping June.

Did Janine ever get her tray of desserts? :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think there has been even one single minute of padding so far. This show is phenomenal. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress, did you both not understand why June would want to have sex ,enjoyable, rock your world sex. What the gently caress is wrong with both of you.

Yeah this show is one of the very few where every single sex scene is necessary and in service to the plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The sex scene with Nick I found really emotionally titillating, in a good way. It takes acting chops to sell emotional transitions during simulated sex. Again, give Moss even more awards, please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nick is definitely a very good looking person

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Huh. Well at the time we were watching I checked this with my partner (who is a heterosexual woman to my knowledge) and she agreed he was repulsive, but no accounting for taste I guess

Yeah, people have very different tastes. I've dated literal models who said I was very attractive, and I've had gross people tell me I'm ugly. I just meant that I (as a pansexual dude) think Nick is attractive (in, like, an objective sense, since he's not my type) and I suspect he's "supposed" to scan as "dark/handsome". I'm just guessing at intent from context, obviously plenty of people will think he's ugly (plenty of people think Moss is ugly, as pointed out) but in the show's mind, I do think Nick is supposed to be attractive. Hope that makes sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's just the way Strahovski is playing her in these scenes, especially the flashbacks. She seems like someone who keeps thinking "Ah poo poo, I helped make this happen, and I may have made a terrible mistake".

Since we're getting season 2 and they're not really padding the story out, giving her a redemption arc seems plausible, especially if they go beyond the events of the novel (which, let's face it, they kind of have to at this pace).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's actually what I meant yeah, I wasn't quite clear enough with regards to my speculative time line.

Also my phone tried to autocorrect speculative to "speculum".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Text can tell us about a character's depth. Film and television can show us that depth, if the actor is good at nonverbal communication (which all good actors are). It is indeed kind of ridiculous to even compare them (but NOT ridiculous because one is better than the other)

It's also a common mistake to equate quantity of information vs. quality (note that in my opinion neither is necessarily good or bad). Look at the scene where Moss realizes she can manipulate Fred, in this latest episode. A book would have told us what she was thinking, and that's fine, but being able to tell by looking is more satisfying (IN MY OPINION).

There is also a thing called Non-Verbal Learning Disability, which is similar to a kind of autism (BEING AUTISTIC OR HAVING AUTISTIC-LIKE SYMPTOMS IS NOT A BAD THING), and which makes it very hard for a person to pick up on any of that stuff. But just because you ("you" here means "someone") don't pick up on it doesn't mean nobody does.

precision fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

You must have autism if you do not agree with my opinions and prefer books to the clearly superior televison format. There's simply no other explanation for someone not sharing my objectively correct opinions.

My wife has Non-Verbal Learning Disability, that's why I know about it. Not everything is a personal attack man. When a person posts "you", they are usually using the general "you", not the specific "you".

But it is a real thing that some people simply do not easily - or at all - perceive nonverbal communication. And if you think I was insulting anyone by mentioning it, that's on you - I was just saying that people are very different and reality is far more subjective than most think, and that it is legitimately possible to find it very hard to pick up on nonverbal stuff. My wife didn't understand the scene with Moss where her face went through all those emotions; she had to ask me why I thought it was so well done.

I edited my original post to hopefully be less hostile, even though it was never hostile and the only person I was actually responding to was TomViolence.

edit2: "Tom Violence" is a good song

precision fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man that was so good. And another great song at the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would be totally okay with it if season 2 has this show become a spy thriller about June and Lucas infiltrating/taking down Gilead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, the South is intensely matriarchal and would never go for Gilead's poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadulus posted:

I'm from the south and yeah it's poo poo but lol come on man.

The South is one of the few places in America where the incidence of reported domestic abuse is almost split equally between men and women. Southern women are not to be hosed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gilead is derived from Abrahamic religion in exactly the same way that ISIS is derived from Islam. I don't think it's meant to really be a big point that they quote the Bible; that is to say, the show (and the novel, to a lesser extent) isn't interested in throwing shade on Christianity. It's simply that Christianity is one of the few ways to make it feel "closer" than something like, say, Children of Men where the only scene that made me feel "oh, this is 15 minutes into the future" was the scene of getting baked with Michael Caine.

• Locked thread