Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Show Gilead (especially as shown by both Waterfords) is even worse than book Gilead because Fred and Serena keep showing you brief flashes of humanity underneath all the terrible. Fred's apparent legitimate concern for the environment is part of that.

This show is so manipulative but it works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat, another episode that was a home run. Great cinematography again and the Nick backstory was great. They're definitely making me believe they'll be able to pull off season 2 since it will have to be basically 100% new material.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't mind smoking dat WMD with Michael Caine while the world ends. That's the politest apocalypse ever.

Lum_ posted:

Luke is Your Average Nice Guy

Nice people don't cheat on their partner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For all the praise Moss has gotten (deservedly) for Mad Men and Top of the Lake, she's on a completely other level here. If not for Patriot and Twin Peaks Reloaded, it would be my favorite show of the year easily.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy gently caress that episode :stare:

I legit cried at the end of the bridge scene. Jesus this show is loving amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a testament to the writing and acting on offer that they've managed to humanize Aunt Lydia so much. And Janine is best handmaid, god drat her whole side plot has been amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Different strokes, I reckon. Every Tuesday I stay up super late until Hulu puts it up, I watch it before I watch Fargo and this week even before I caught up on American Gods or Better Call Saul.

If it weren't for Patriot, this would be the best show of the year so far, easy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They haven't shown video in the tv show but the way the meeting with the Mexicans went makes it clear the whole toxic environment thing is very real.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was probably more like a daycare situation. Keeping the girls specifically away from books and whatnot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That finale was goddamn amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

Was that where the book ends minus the epilogue or did they cut out a chunk for season 2?

Pretty much. season 2 should be more or less entirely new material. The slight difference is that in the book, Nick flat out claims to be in Mayday, rather than just saying "Trust me".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure if they actually had been compelled to kill Janine I would have started crying and never, ever stopped.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BattyKiara posted:

What happens to wives when commanders die? Is there a special institution for venerable widows? Where they are expected to pray around the clock like nuns?

Game of Thrones doesn't start back until next month :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Why is this show set a few years from now using songs that we would recognize" has seriously got to be the most :goonsay: complaint. Like, I get why people don't like the song choices (especially Jay Reatard) but what I don't get is why those who don't like it are trying to imply that it's somehow objectively bad. A lot of us liked the needle drops.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When poo poo hit the fan, nobody bothered to invade or claim Canada, so they came out smelling of roses.

Nobody expects Canada!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ardennes posted:

I assume at least some of the military was demobilized "legally" by government during the months while the country was limbo. Otherwise, I guess the reason Alaska and Hawaii stayed loyal was because there was such a high concentration of military forces in both states versus the local population. Also, I guess the Pacific Fleet also maybe have simply refused to go along with what was happening on the mainland.

I'm relatively sure the Pacific Fleet was in fact specifically mentioned, yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If your argument against something is predicated on the assumption that the people making the show think the people watching the show are stupid, you might want to rethink how you came to that conclusion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If your criticism is that something isn't subtle, it really hurts your argument if you miss the point of the allegedly unsubtle thing, don't you think?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This isn't my favorite show - it's not even my favorite show this year (that would be Patriot)

You sound like you think I was coming off as a dick, and I'm not meaning to. I'm just trying to get you both to think a bit harder about what you're saying. It's much more rewarding to figure things out for yourself!

For starters, only one song was used in a way that was arguably about "empowerment" - it's pretty odd to base the entire argument against the song choices on that one incident. "Waiting For Something" is not a happy song.

precision fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Aunt Lydia was one of the best parts of the show. The tiny glimpses of humanity she gives you only make it so much worse.

Think I'll rewatch the whole thing tomorrow since my entire town is going to be gridlocked by the eclipse.

• Locked thread