Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Zaodai posted:

And 50 additional genders for the character creator.

Good one dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Space Bat posted:

has any kickstarter open world MMO actually released at this point?

I think TUG has been playable in some form at some point?

Muxik
Jan 24, 2015
As a side note I've just realized how prophetic the name "Ashes of Creation" is for this project.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I feel like they should probably hire a software engineer or two:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I feel like the guy listed as their Senior Artist is actually them trying to sneak concept art for one of the characters past us. Fake sounding Bacon name, dwarven hair...

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Space Bat posted:

has any kickstarter open world MMO actually released at this point?

Linkrealms is pretty close to release
http://store.steampowered.com/app/402450/Linkrealms/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Gotta put your money where your mouth is sometimes :^)

is your mouth wrapped around a burning dumpster

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

http://forums.linkrealms.com/topic/5588/time-to-say-goodbye

Its actually dead RIP

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm blown away that the people who failed to make EQ Next are kickstarting another game. The project that sold $100 "early access passes" and "allowed" the community to compete in monthly events where they literally designed art assets for use in the main game, for free. The project that went dead quiet for years before being sold to a russian investment firm with ties to the mob, still selling those early access kits all the while. The project that kept selling those kits right up until the day they literally announced it was never coming out.

The fact that this isn't a Transverse-level failure is testament to exactly how desperate mmo fans have become.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
It's a good sign when you casually drop in one sentence how the AI in your game is so smart it will learn from its mistakes so every encounter will be different every time as unremarkable a bullet point as whether it's tab or free target based combat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The odds that this will pay off are very slim! Back out while you still can!

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

The head of this company, Steven Sharif, made most of his money from MLM Mangosteen sales. The name of the company is Xango LLC.

https://twitter.com/stevensharif?lang=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ygS1k2WQo

Then he realized there's way more money selling videos portraying theoretical sandbox MMOs promising all features anyone could want.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
$40,000 to go

Chris Roberts posted:

WOW!

Thanks to everyone backed us over these past 24 hours. We had our biggest day outside of the announcement day. Kickstarter alone brought in $155,270, hitting 30% of its goal in just 24 hours from when we launched! Remember that the more we raise the more content I can pack in from the outset and louder message we send to the world that Space Sims are very much alive.

Rabbi posted:

The head of this company, Steven Sharif, made most of his money from MLM Mangosteen sales. The name of the company is Xango LLC.

Then he realized there's way more money selling videos portraying theoretical sandbox MMOs promising all features anyone could want.

Jesus Christ. This guy is a hustler. Started working when he was 18. Went into real estate at 24, retired at 28 then stared doing this. This doesn't turn me off tbh, he stands to make a lot more from a project being completed than running off with the money. Basically this is another kingdoms of amalur except run by a businessman instead of a guy who got a bunch of money from baseball and it's a MMO from the start rather than being turned into a singleplayer RPG from the beginning.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 2, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd be surprised if it ends up half as playable as Star Citizen.

And yes, I realize exactly what I'm saying.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm blown away that the people who failed to make EQ Next are kickstarting another game. The project that sold $100 "early access passes" and "allowed" the community to compete in monthly events where they literally designed art assets for use in the main game, for free. The project that went dead quiet for years before being sold to a russian investment firm with ties to the mob, still selling those early access kits all the while. The project that kept selling those kits right up until the day they literally announced it was never coming out.

The fact that this isn't a Transverse-level failure is testament to exactly how desperate mmo fans have become.

Renova Group, who bought SOE, are most famous for using ex-spetznas mercenaries to perform an armed takeover of a canadian oil well in siberia.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Hit $750,000 funding goal at 9:00PST
11 hours. drat. That's 7x more than Star Citizen's first day.

Stretch goal time

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 2, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rabbi posted:

Hit $750,000 funding goal at 9:00PST
11 hours. drat. That's 7x more than Star Citizen's first day.

Stretch goal time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSr6ZG2UcU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

lalaland posted:

$402,945
pledged of $750,000 goal

this is actually going to happen lol

They think 750k will cover their promises? Fuckin lol.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Not at all, its close to 900k now. Will we have another Star Citizen on our hands here? :v:

Truthfully. I hope not, I hope these guys actually make something. They seem much further ahead than Star citizen is with their current spotlight videos

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/68n6rt/ashes_of_creation_a_sandbox_mmo_which_focuses_on/dh0fyqv/

The dude who created the game seems to have ties to Xango, a pretty shady pyramid scheme business. Maybe I'm too conspiratorial about this, but I think this is worth a read guys.

Midig fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 2, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stevefin posted:

Not at all, its close to 900k now. Will we have another Star Citizen on our hands here? :v:

Truthfully. I hope not, I hope these guys actually make something. They seem much further ahead than Star citizen is with their current spotlight videos

And Star Citizen has playable portions of the game too. I think they both run into the issue where technology just isn't going to support what they want to do on a large scale. But hey, maybe everything shakes out and we get a fun game. If that happens, then I've got no problem giving them subscription money when it comes out. So it works out for me that all these other people have already backed it. :smugdog:

Those stretch goals, while not worldbreaking, do seem at least fairly reasonable for the amount of extra money being tacked on. Not a bunch of extra classes or systems. We get some minigames and fancier mounts. Seems like something they could actually implement.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Midig posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/68n6rt/ashes_of_creation_a_sandbox_mmo_which_focuses_on/dh0fyqv/

The dude who created the game seems to have ties to Xango, a pretty shady pyramid scheme businuess. Maybe I'm too conspiratorial about this, but I think this is worth a read guys.

Star citizen attracted the pros to the game. Supplement scams are out and MMOs are the new hot thing baby

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

...you don't though, that's why this is a kickstarter. you can literally wait for it to get funded and play for free instead of dropping $400 on Hellgate London 4.

why did you do this, spending Star Citizen-style doesn't do anything in games that exist never mind crowdfunded ones

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am in awe that they managed to out-scam star citizen but drat here we are. Congrats on your $400 literal pyramid scheme buy in OP!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I really hope I'm wrong on this. My /r/patientgamers bias is probably flooding. I want a good western MMO as much as the next guy.

Midig fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 2, 2017

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Comrayn posted:

I am in awe that they managed to out-scam star citizen but drat here we are. Congrats on your $400 literal pyramid scheme buy in OP!

Outscam star citizen? Nah this poo poo is peanuts compared to the 5 year 140 million us dollar scam that our Lord Christ Roberts is pulling off

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

lalaland posted:

Outscam star citizen? Nah this poo poo is peanuts compared to the 5 year 140 million us dollar scam that our Lord Christ Roberts is pulling off

Oh for sure. I meant more in terms of how blatant it is. Give it time though because with a veteran scammer at the helm these guys have potential.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how is anyone dumb enough to back this

just how

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

TheAgent posted:

how is anyone dumb enough to back this

just how

apparently our brains stall the gently caress out when it looks like there's nothing else on the horizon, and then we get hyper-attached to whatever is there no matter how dogshit it is

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm backing because pantheon and shroud of the avatar and star citizen and all those other kickstarted mmos have really worked out great, please let me spend a few hundred bucks on noted ex-game devs from acclaimed and released game everquest next

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yall are loving morons

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

I'm backing because pantheon and shroud of the avatar and star citizen and all those other kickstarted mmos have really worked out great, please let me spend a few hundred bucks on noted ex-game devs from acclaimed and released game everquest next

Didn't you hear? Pantheon is becoming more of a thing.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Pryce posted:

According to the staff list on the KS, their studio has 5 artist/animators, 4 designers, 0 engineers.

Cool.

Great way to have a ton of cool art and no game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lemon King posted:

Great way to have a ton of cool art and no game.

Its exactly the lineup you need for a good kickstarter though

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Programmers just get in the way of your artistic vision.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

it says in the OP it'll be a subscription based mmo so I will probly buy the collector's edition box and take time off from work to hit max lvl before like, you plebs

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If this by some miracle actually makes it to a proper release it will in no way resemble what they promised in the Kickstarter and that's a fact.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I've already incorporated the subscription fee into my monthly budget so I will not have to hold back on important commodities come release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

I've already incorporated the subscription fee into my monthly budget so I will not have to hold back on important commodities come release

If you got the $400 pledge with the lifetime subscription you wouldn't have to worry about that.