Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Surely THIS time they will get their MMO out the door! :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I registered (did not give a red cent though) to show support for a few of the ideas. If it ever releases with (1) individualized crafting, (2) semi-hidden quests (node system) I'd be very pleased. If not, maybe someone in the far, far future will make a real mmo with those 2 items.

Plus I like getting email from software companies. They start sounding desperate at the 11 month stage.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
lol, i can't wait to hear how this time.... they're actually going to do crowdfunding right and that this will be a success.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Republicanus posted:

I registered (did not give a red cent though) to show support for a few of the ideas. If it ever releases with (1) individualized crafting, (2) semi-hidden quests (node system) I'd be very pleased. If not, maybe someone in the far, far future will make a real mmo with those 2 items.

Plus I like getting email from software companies. They start sounding desperate at the 11 month stage.

here's an idea (circa 1995)

build a loving product then sell it

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 4, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FireWhizzle posted:

here's an idea (circa 1995)

build a loving product then sell it

The product they built is hope, which is pretty cheap because it has no resource costs.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Some guy on their Reddit who works with UE4 said that they purchased stock art to use for their pitches.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A Bard's Tale, an Ashes of Creation Story. Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtz-De83-Ys

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 4, 2017

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

What the gently caress is this? Some guy rambling in an accent that US whales can barely understand. How are you going to harvest whale blubber when you can't even sing it's song?

e: Holy poo poo this is a fanfic for a fic that doesn't exist. I had to replay the intro 5 times before understanding this.

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 4, 2017

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mirificus posted:

lol, people are already writing fan fiction for a madeup game that is going to inevitably fail. We are truly living in the best timeline friends.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
All of the fanboys on their forums are now calling people conspiracy theorists for asking about their coding team.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raylen posted:

All of the fanboys on their forums are now calling people conspiracy theorists for asking about their coding team.

Even if they presumably have some kind of coders lined up, the fact that the ~*artists*~ don't have anybody high profile enough or that they give enough of a poo poo about to mention in the kickstarter is pretty telling about their thought process. In general, never trust an artist for poo poo, they're the least logic minded people on earth.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Before the fun starts in this trainwreck I'd like to request that no one puts together any dossiers on staff or whales.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Even if they presumably have some kind of coders lined up, the fact that the ~*artists*~ don't have anybody high profile enough or that they give enough of a poo poo about to mention in the kickstarter is pretty telling about their thought process. In general, never trust an artist for poo poo, they're the least logic minded people on earth.

Nah, they'd rather just strawman their fanboyism into brilliant quotes like this:

quote:

These clowns need to get back to sleuthing chemtrails, black helicopters, and Hillary’s Pizza Shop pedo rings

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ah yes, Planetside 2. The game where if you turned your graphics settings down, you could scale vertical walls because the bigger polys had bigger hitboxes than a flat wall. And the stealth wouldn't render so you could see the cloaking class. Until that was unfair, so instead you just flat out couldn't see the cloaking class because the shimmer wouldn't render. And that had pretty awful netcode.

Faith restored.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

Pillbug
They said they're hiring more programmers in the coming month though! :smug:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Raylen posted:

They said they're hiring more programmers in the coming month though! :smug:

"NDA Alpha starting in Q4 2017"

Kickstarter FAQ posted:

What do the different alpha and beta phases mean?

We’ll be doing continual testing of our game until launch, alpha and beta are included in this plan. Alpha 1 will be our very first “closed” test, followed by Alpha 2, Beta 1 and Beta 2. They will take place in that order, but exact dates of each test aren’t available at this time. Alpha 2 will remain active in a persistent state till launch, then will become our Public Test Server. (If you have a key from our weekly drawings, those keys give access to our weekend NDA Alpha starting in Q4 2017)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios/faqs

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You would think with having a dedicated scam artist on staff he'd have warned them to at least lie about having talked to programmers about all their promises first. Amateurs.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I for one cannot wait to play a generic tank or generic plate dps in this game that doesn't exist :toot:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
we have two whole programmers for a genre that often demands dozens/hundreds

also isn't "list all the projects our staff left/were fired from" what Wildstar did all the time

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

Pillbug

Good Dumplings posted:

we have two whole programmers for a genre that often demands dozens/hundreds

also isn't "list all the projects our staff left/were fired from" what Wildstar did all the time

Trust us, we're hiring the people we need to make this game! And you better support the devs because if you ask questions about their lack of programmers, we'll call you a conspiracy theorist!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raylen posted:

Trust us, we're hiring the people we need to make this game! And you better support the devs because if you ask questions about their lack of programmers, we'll call you a conspiracy theorist!

If you can't trust someone who defrauds people out of their money based on their fear of dying, who can you trust? I think at the very least this kickstarter has earned them our unconditional blind trust. We owe it to them.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Ah yes, Planetside 2. The game where if you turned your graphics settings down, you could scale vertical walls because the bigger polys had bigger hitboxes than a flat wall.

Wait what the gently caress?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alexander DeLarge posted:

As a connoisseur of MMOs you should be familiar with the concept of "spaghetti code" at this point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you turned down your video settings far enough, the walls went from being smooth, solid surfaces to jagged looking stacks of tiny, tiny polygons. Despite this being a rendering change, the hitbox of the walls would actually change to match the render so you could repeatedly jump up the series of very small ledges to scale a wall that a person playing on higher settings would not be able to climb.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 4, 2017

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

I'm gonna have to touch the poop for a brief sec and agree with MMO:HMO:Alexander: OP of Bad MMO Threads.

PS2 engine dev took years and they did a loving phenomenal job. Just look at the sheer scale that SHOOTER MMO operates on. This was good and they should be commended for it. I commended them with my wallet and several rounds of gameplay through the Snuggles GOKU goonjerk.

That said they still haven't announced any network engi's writing a believable MMO scale solution for UE4.

Also they kinda hosed themselves not making a prototype first lmao. The idea of making a game starts with the ability to make a game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
planetside 2 netcode was run on hopes, dreams, and black magic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
planetside 2 is still my favorite game even though I have no interest in playing it again

lots of great memories

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zaodai posted:

If you turned down your video settings far enough, the walls went from being smooth, solid surfaces to jagged looking stacks of tiny, tiny polygons. Despite this being a rendering change, the hitbox of the walls would actually change to match the render so you could repeatedly jump up the series of very small ledges to scale a wall that a person playing on higher settings would not be able to climb.
Reminds me of early WoW, before they added sliding to slopes - you could walk across them with the right angle and jump up higher in places.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
All I want is EverQuest 3, is that too much to ask for?

Lmao of course it is.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Planetside 2 has amazing netcode. It's literally a diamond nestled in poo poo. :iiapa:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

joshtothemaxx posted:

All I want is EverQuest 3, is that too much to ask for?

Lmao of course it is.

Isn't that Pantheon? They just got a third round of external funding.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

it seems they picked the correct name for this title

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
what was the name of that "dark adult lovecraft inspired" fantasy MMO? I remember they were selling houses. Does that exist still?
How about Chronicles as Elysium or whatever? Does that game exist in any way>??
this one though, it's gonna be epic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Somebody already took my loving name (not Node) so gently caress this game.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006
I can't wait to play an mmo whose Creative Director is known to give such stirring inspirational speeches

https://youtu.be/BQQmahflej8

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lol it just keeps happening.

futile
May 18, 2009

tatersyum posted:

I can't wait to play an mmo whose Creative Director is known to give such stirring inspirational speeches

https://youtu.be/BQQmahflej8

Holy

gently caress

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe watching prospective MMOs implode is the true evolution of the MMO experience.
1) You get to engage in grand fantasy.
2) The idea of achieving goal satisfaftion is always pushed out into the indeterminable future.
3) The pleasure gained from seeing your fellow players (financial backers) fail.
4) Sense of community in the shared experience.
5) F2P model for most, with Pay-to-win for those needing a heightened sense of emotional turmoil.

It's truly a wonderful time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Cithen posted:

Maybe watching prospective MMOs implode is the true evolution of the MMO experience.
1) You get to engage in grand fantasy.
2) The idea of achieving goal satisfaftion is always pushed out into the indeterminable future.
3) The pleasure gained from seeing your fellow players (financial backers) fail.
4) Sense of community in the shared experience.
5) F2P model for most, with Pay-to-win for those needing a heightened sense of emotional turmoil.

It's truly a wonderful time to be alive.

This is deep