Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Why is Gypsy always loving around with buckets and poo poo? And do we ever see cambot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Do the new ones have the funny guy or Joel?

Petr
Joel's the producer and a writer but doesn't voice anyone or act. The guys they got in are funny enough.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Macnult

Waiting for the MST3k where they watch vine compilations

deep dish peat moss

I didn't like it and stopped watching after 4 episodes. They tried to force a joke after every line of dialog and the whole thing feels cramped, and most of the jokes are throwaway pop culture or videogame references/attempts to appeal to the youth (this is more of a systematic Netflix problem though, they did the same thing to Bill Nye). The original MST3k had very subdued humor that didn't require any outside knowledge of any pulp culture media beyond the movie they were watching and was full of the love of the production crew, the new one feels more like it was designed by focus group with specific callouts to various hip young audiences.

google THIS

Macnult posted:

Waiting for the MST3k where they watch vine compilations

doing the skits halfway through each one is going to be challenging

fuck. marry. t-rex

I watched some and laughed at stuff

fuck. marry. t-rex

The call of wilderness episode is Hella bad

alnilam

deep dish peat moss posted:

I didn't like it and stopped watching after 4 episodes. They tried to force a joke after every line of dialog and the whole thing feels cramped, and most of the jokes are throwaway pop culture or videogame references/attempts to appeal to the youth (this is more of a systematic Netflix problem though, they did the same thing to Bill Nye). The original MST3k had very subdued humor that didn't require any outside knowledge of any pulp culture media beyond the movie they were watching and was full of the love of the production crew, the new one feels more like it was designed by focus group with specific callouts to various hip young audiences.

that is only partially true, i mean the original had more pop culture jokes than you might remember. just off the top of my head , i can remember frequent jokes about popular music (like singing a few lines of a well-known song that make for a funny joke about what's happening in the movie), famous actors, famous/classic movies and tv shows, i even remember my mom explaining jokes i didn't get because they were about howdy doody time or things like that that were before my time

i'm a big nerd so i even have the old mst3k book and episode guide and they have a goofy list (with explanations) of their 50 most obscure references so i even have actual citations from a real life book that there did indeed used to be refs that needed outside knowledge

that being said it does feel like they've gone from (to make up some numberS) maybe a 25/75 mix of pop culture / non-outside knoweldge-requiring, to maybe 50/50, and your criticism is at leats partially true imo.

i've only seen the first ep of the new one and i liked it but not qutei as much as the old one, but enough taht i'll watch more

ty manifisto

precision

by VideoGames
it's uneven but Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 and 2 are two of the best episodes of MS theater three kay

lol at the notion that old episodes didn't have as much pop culture stuff, i think it's just that they used to reference way more obscure stuff itt

----------------

alnilam

JackBadass posted:

not gonna fall for this trap but nice try :hehe:

i think both mike and joel are funny

also the new guy jonah is dece he seem sfunny so far

ty manifisto

deep dish peat moss

alnilam posted:

that is only partially true, i mean the original had more pop culture jokes than you might remember. just off the top of my head , i can remember frequent jokes about popular music (like singing a few lines of a well-known song that make for a funny joke about what's happening in the movie), famous actors, famous/classic movies and tv shows, i even remember my mom explaining jokes i didn't get because they were about howdy doody time or things like that that were before my time

i'm a big nerd so i even have the old mst3k book and episode guide and they have a goofy list (with explanations) of their 50 most obscure references so i even have actual citations from a real life book that there did indeed used to be refs that needed outside knowledge

that being said it does feel like they've gone from (to make up some numberS) maybe a 25/75 mix of pop culture / non-outside knoweldge-requiring, to maybe 50/50, and your criticism is at leats partially true imo.

i've only seen the first ep of the new one and i liked it but not qutei as much as the old one, but enough taht i'll watch more

That's true I guess I just don't identify with the kids these days and what vibeo gains they're playing or the UTubes and... what is it, dab music? I guess I always saw the original as classic/timeless references to icons of cinema and things but that's because they were my icons of cinema and things.

precision

by VideoGames
the new crow is goo

----------------

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I watched like 15 minutes and the jokes seemed too rapid fire for me and it made me cry :(

vanisher

Gross Dude posted:

I watched like 15 minutes and the jokes seemed too rapid fire for me and it made me cry :(

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Robot Made of Meat

I've been a huge MST fan/nerd since forever, and I was very concerned about the new show. Due to RL conflicts, I was only able to watch episode 1101 tonight.

The new actors and framework are a bit difficult to take in all at once, but overall it's not a big problem. I'll agree that sometimes they seemed like they were forcing jokes just to fill time, but that wasn't a huge issue either. As to the claims that they're pandering to hipsters or current pop culture, I was very happy to find that that's not at all true. I'm old and crusty and I have no idea what kids these days are into, but there were many good riffs regarding stuff from the 70s, 80s, and beyond.

Only one episode in, but I'm finding myself much relieved, and hopeful for what's to come.

Throughout the viewing, I was definitely aware that Joel and Co. had spent a LOT of money, much of which seemed . . unnecessary. The hallway sequence is amazing, and uses technology not possible on the old show. However, no matter how cool the concept, the CGI was choppy and sub-par. Besides, a huge part of the charm of the old show was the cheap, cheesy, hand-built vibe of it all.

The bridge of the SOL looked . . . like mediocre CGI with little imagination behind it.

And come on. Three puppeteers each for Tom Servo and Crow? A cast/crew list that rivaled The Ten Commandments? It's hardly what we came to know and love all those many years ago.

Maybe next time, Joel will ask me, and we can get things done right!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

joke_explainer

I loved it and I've seen it all at this point. My only complaint is they occasionally got the timing off on like a few notable locations. They had that happen in the original series as well, but yeah, it's a fairly minor quibble. The old series was very joke-dense too. Rewatching old eps of MST3K, you realize there was dozens of jokes that just flew right over your head. It was a very formative show for me and massively influences my idea of humor and I feel like they've done a good remake and I'm satisfied with all the characters and the writing in general. I think my fav ep is either Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 for the jokes or Cry Wilderness for absolute insanity of that horrible, horrible movie. BANG!

Anyway, I assume it'll totally get renewed at this point. Looking forward to more next year!

Robot Made of Meat posted:

The hallway sequence is amazing, and uses technology not possible on the old show. However, no matter how cool the concept, the CGI was choppy and sub-par. Besides, a huge part of the charm of the old show was the cheap, cheesy, hand-built vibe of it all.

The bridge of the SOL looked . . . like mediocre CGI with little imagination behind it.

The bridge is a practical set.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-58ed84d8/turbine/la-et-hc-on-the-set-mystery-science-theater-30-012/900/900x506

The doors are stop motion by the miniatures team afaik. There's a lot of obvious CGI in the show open and such but they use practical effects and actual sets in a lot of stuff.

Majuju

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
the first episode really didn't work for me but I want to support Elliott Kalan so maybe I will give these Wizards episodes a try.

I understand why they'd just recast the voices for the bots, but I find it extremely jarring, they should have just made new bots.

google THIS

crow is close, but jonah sounds more like tom servo than tom servo does.

the episodes I've seen so far have some up and downs, but there are definitely some very funny moments. I do feel like they're not writing very good material for parts where the movies are excruciatingly boring/badly paced. old mst3k would pick a good theme and develop on it to make even rolling end credits funny, in some cases creating some of the most epic and memorable moments on the show. the new cast seems to get reduced to trying to riff on onscreen minutiae ("oh wow, another rock?")

deep dish peat moss

It's like if you always hung out with your friends as kids to riff on bad movies but then they all moved away one summer, and now you're an adult and you found out some of your coworkers like to riff on bad movies too so you go join them one night but it's just not the same.

The REAL Goobusters
i never watched old mst3k and thought it was ok. not amazing just kinda good, some good jokes every now and then i had a few laughs some chuckes u know

Petr
Nobody has answered my question about the loving buckets yet. I just prob lost my health insurance or whatever and I just wanna know about the buckets

----------------

joke_explainer

Petr posted:

Nobody has answered my question about the loving buckets yet. I just prob lost my health insurance or whatever and I just wanna know about the buckets

They were filling them with your health insurance.

No, the buckets are a total macguffin set up by the show creator. It gave him an excuse to put the excellent voice actor for Gypsy in awkwardly twice an episode rather than have her for longer and upset those who might feel jostled by any upset to the original form. In an interview he's said she's delivering the payload, and picking it up, and the only other detail he said was "It's not the payload from Overwatch.", and that they'd explain it later, but like, no way, he is not going to explain it. It is totally just a way to put her in the theater briefly.

Robot Made of Meat

OK, I clearly haven't read up on this as much as j_e, and there's a big thing puzzling me.

Kinga? Why Kinga? In episode 901, we learned that all of the women in the Forrester family are named after gemstones.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I liked it. The ending is a decent cliffhanger and the new bots are funny. Good riffs, they grow into it. Made me dig out my old fan club newsletters from the nineties and re-read them. It fits with the Joel years best, which is crazy but also cool.

Historical Wizards

Mother of all nitpicks here it's not Minnesotan enough

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

alnilam

I thought they were from michigan

joke_explainer

Robot Made of Meat posted:

OK, I clearly haven't read up on this as much as j_e, and there's a big thing puzzling me.

Kinga? Why Kinga? In episode 901, we learned that all of the women in the Forrester family are named after gemstones.

Continuity isn't really the shows strong suit.

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

Continuity isn't really the shows strong suit.

are you saying we should repeat to ourselves 'it's just a show, i should really just relax'?

Scaly Haylie

Historical Wizards posted:

actually the "m" stands for mystery

Petr
Not reading that spoiler, I don't want to ruin the intricate plot this show has spent so long carefully crafting

----------------

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I laughed a bunch at 1101, it was good. Reptilicus was amazingly bad. I remember two jokes that were distinctly 21st century, a twitter feed joke and an ipad joke.

I like that Tom servo flies and that cambot shows up

[Doctor places hat on top of filing cabinet]
Cambot: Now you're Mr. Filing Cabinet!

Historical Wizards

JackBadass posted:

Joel is producer I think, but Trace is not involved

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Peanut Butler

only watched the first few episodes, and mostly it feels like the cast hasn't really gelled and I haven't memorized a third set of Servo/Crow voices yet
can't get the Monster Song out of my head, the sketches are fun and good- I missed those parts a lot watching Rifftrax

I do hope they get the opportunity to do this long enough to build the kind of working relationships Joel and Mike built among their casts, imo Felicia and Patton are fukken killing it tho

definitely watching the rest, just pacing 'em for when I can time it to ~11:30pm once a week or so

Historical Wizards posted:

if u have watched seasons 3-10 then these spoilers about the states the gizmonics mook is from are safe, its kinda telling
joel: Wisconsin and Minnesota
mike: Illinois and Wisconsin
jonah: Hawaii and Cali but Los Angeles specifically
he's way more West Coast than Midwestern and yeah that shows for sure and taking some adjustment

Petr
joel kills crow

----------------

joke_explainer

Jonah is definitely not midwestern, but there's still some clear minnesota influences coming down from on high. Tom does several Prince jokes throughout the new season for one. there's prolly some others. but yeah, not quite thoroughbred north midwest anymore. I don't mind it though, Jonah is definitely fine by me. After the Joel / Mike wars during some of my first foruming ever, it was a relief to see nobody get really up in arms about him. If you guys don't know, during the MST3K original run, when Joel left and Mike Nelson (who was a writer for the show during that period and appeared on the show several times before his ascendancy to test subject), the various fan forums were loving lit up with arguments about how loving horrible Mike was, or later how Mike was the better host (or at least he had won the hearts of those that were still watching).

The History of MST3k posted:

By late winter, the Joel vs. Mike strife had subsided, not because one side or the other had "won," but because of a growing consensus to simply forbid the topic. "No Joel vs. Mike discussions" became General Order Number One in MST3K forums all over the internet. As forum leaders began trying to impose this rule in each community, two new opposing factions emerged: In essence, the communities were now divided between those who valued the community more than the issue, and those who felt the issue was more important than the community.

As tempers cooled and combatants wearied, Mike partisans and those neutral on the issue succeeded in making common cause with Joel fans who were, despite their feelings, anxious to salvage what was left of their shattered communities. Opposing them was an odd confederation of hard-line Joel partisans (still determined to criticize the series at every opportunity) joined by outspoken libertarians and free speech proponents (who simply resented any abridgement of their rights to do as they liked in any forum), and a gaggle of self-described trouble-makers (who enjoyed provoking arguments and who did not wish to see an end to their fun). By spring, increasing pressure from the former group caused the latter group to throw up its hands and depart the communities.

The new communities that emerged from the terrible struggle were made up largely of those who had been on the Mike side of the argument, mixed with a smattering of Joel loyalists who were willing to bite their tongues in order to enjoy the pleasures of the community. Now at peace, the forums began to again gain new participants, equaling and then far surpassing the number of those that had departed.

quote:

Q: I thought Mike did a great job, and Joel was great, too. Do people seriously argue about which one was better?
A: It doesn't happen much anymore, but immediately after Mike took over in the fall of 1993, and continuing for about a year, the Great Joel vs Mike Flamewar roared out of control everywhere in MSTie cyberspace. The enduring legacy of that time is that bringing up the issue in public forums is something of a taboo.

joke_explainer

My first ever forums drama was absolutely a Joel vs Mike flamewar.

Petr
jesus gently caress look at all those nerd words

----------------

Petr
that sounds almost as bad as the D&D thread 5e vs 4e stuff (but of course, not as bad)

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

still not as controversial as the Steve-Joe War of 2002

• Locked thread