Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The bears decided that safe picks were for suckers

Everyone in this draft class is gonna crash and burn or be really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

thrilla in vanilla posted:

From my admittedly brief research, it seems like the worst dude on the Titans is taylor lewan? And he just seems like more of a stupid frat douche than anything else.

I think threatening to rape a girl who reported your teammate for sexual assault is worse than "stupid frat douche."

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Who among us hasn't threatened to rape somebody. Honor code

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

So that's a yes

Lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

R.D. Mangles posted:

YOU MANIACS! GOD drat YOU! GOD drat YOU TO HELL!

Already a better GM than Ryan Grigson

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I think the Vikings had a solid, but not great draft:

RD2(9) :: HB Dalvin Cook, Florida State - The Vikings moved up to take Dalvin Cook, who is a top 15 talent that was pushed down due to some major red flags. As a player he's a great fit for Shurmur's offense, is an explosive runner who can score anywhere on the field, and is a threat in the passing game. I think he can be a really good player, but he's a player that could attract a lot of negative attention.
RD3(6) :: OC Pat Elflein, Ohio State - He's my favorite pick from the draft. Able to play both guard and center at a high level and should be an instant starter. Somewhat athletically limited, but very good and feisty.
RD4(3) :: DT Jaleel Johnson, Iowa - DT depth has been an issue for a long time and with Sharrif Floyd's career in jeopardy and Tom Johnson coming off of an achilles tear, it was important for the Vikings to add another tackle to the rotation. Johnson is a good pass rusher, who can't hold up against the run too well. He'll be a rotational player at first, but could develop into a bigger role with coaching and weight training.
RD4(14) :: LB Ben Gedeon, Michigan - This pick still makes no sense to me. 2-down linebacker, with very good short area quickness and special teams ability. Basically drafted as a replacement for Audie Cole, but I can't see him being anything more than a backup in this scheme. Seems more like a 6th rounder than a 4th round prospect.
RD5(27) :: WR Rodney Adams, South Florida - Poor man's Patterson. Good returner, ball control issues, not a great route runner, but good after the catch.
RD5(37) :: RG Danny Isidora, Miami - Developmental RG. Good pulling ability, needs to add bulk, but could develop into a good backup or replacement level starter.
RD6(17) :: TE/WR Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech - Intriguing player. Can line up all over the field. TE who is basically an oversized receiver, big target, can bring down contested balls, and freak athlete. Doesn't play to his athleticism, double catches at times, and does better in traffic than when wide open. If he develops, he could be a really interesting piece of the offense.
RD7(1) :: WR Stacy Coley, Miami - Another slot and returner player. Has work ethic questions. They do need depth at WR, but not sure why they took him when they drafted a similar player in Rodney Adams. Would have been better off drafting a kicker here.
RD7(2) :: DE Ifeadi Odenigbo, Northwestern - They always grab a developmental pass rusher late. A bit undersized, not great against the run, but is generates a lot of pressure as a pass rusher. I personally would have left DE until next year, but they could have made worse picks.
RD7(14) :: LB Elijah Lee, Kansas State - Perfect scheme fit. 3-down OLB with good coverage ability. Makes a lot more sense to me than Gedeon.
RD7(27) :: CB Jack Tocho, NC State- Not really familar with him. Seems to be a developmental outside CB who excels in press man. Would have liked to see them grab a slot corner like Myrick with one of their earlier picks.

As for Spielman, I think he got way too cute this year. Traded down a few times too many and missed out on some good players to accumulate late round picks that I am not sure were spent wisely. He was aggressive early, then went into stockpiling mode. Just kind of a weird draft and after the 2nd day they want quantity over quality.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I didn't mind the Vikings going for quantity over quality but poo poo, Rick, how bout you get some tackles and see if any of them can hang. Clemmings is still the top backup and he frankly hasn't shown anything to merit hope for a turnaround.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad the Vikings were able to fill their "RB who beat up helpless victims" quotient ;)

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I said in the GDT that I was looking to land our Franchise Kicker yesterday, and looks like we did!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Derek Barnett - Whatever.
Sidney Jones - A+++ would draft again.
Rasul Douglas - Good because I'm a WVU fan.
Mack Hollins - Whatever
Donnel Pumphrey - gently caress this pick.
Shelton Gibson - Go WVU. Too bad he drops balls all day.
Nate Gerry - Practice squad who cares.
Elijah Qualls - Practice squad who cares.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It always seems like a good idea to grab the guys with top end talent who fall due to injury. They're good, you just have to wait a little bit to use them. At least that's what I've always thought, yet I can't think of a single player who missed their rookie year due to injury then went on to be a top end guy. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu has done nothing. I know Beckham missed a couple weeks his rookie year but he was healthy through training camp and got some good snaps before he came on. Can anyone think of someone who missed most of their rookie season to injury than went on to be great for the rest of their career?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

At least that's what I've always thought, yet I can't think of a single player who missed their rookie year due to injury then went on to be a top end guy.

Willis McGahee was pretty good? Not great I guess, but he's the first guy that springs to mind, I'm sure there are others.

e: duh, not really draft related but solely for this part:

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Can anyone think of someone who missed most of their rookie season to injury than went on to be great for the rest of their career?

Travis Kelce is doing pretty well.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 30, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It always seems like a good idea to grab the guys with top end talent who fall due to injury. They're good, you just have to wait a little bit to use them. At least that's what I've always thought, yet I can't think of a single player who missed their rookie year due to injury then went on to be a top end guy. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu has done nothing. I know Beckham missed a couple weeks his rookie year but he was healthy through training camp and got some good snaps before he came on. Can anyone think of someone who missed most of their rookie season to injury than went on to be great for the rest of their career?

In recent memory, Keenan Allen has been good if you exclude the important fact he can't stay on the field. Then again, he did play most of his first season and it was his best.

It's strange because there are a lot of articles that describe that as being a good strategy but they seldom have any examples. Then you have cases like the 49ers where it has been a disastrous strategy.

If I had to guess, because developing these players into NFL talent is already not assured, the process of recovering from injury is an interference that sets players back at the most crucial period of that transition. There's also the fact that the players whose injuries you hear about typically have more severe injuries from which they may not fully recover.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 30, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been following college ball as well as I used to... how did the Packers do, aside from the no-brainer Kevin King pick we all knew was gonna happen? I don't know who the rest of these dudes are.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fenrir posted:

I haven't been following college ball as well as I used to... how did the Packers do, aside from the no-brainer Kevin King pick we all knew was gonna happen? I don't know who the rest of these dudes are.

Pretty much everyone handing out draft grades thus far has given the Packers an 'A' rating if not flat out saying top 5-10 over all quality drafts this year (for the most part there are outliers of course). So, take that however you want to.
If you combine that with the fact that the Bears and Lions got some pretty crappy reviews of their drafts all around as well, it seems to bode pretty well at least divisionally for the Pack. So...yay?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not sure why anyone is trying to project what drafts were good. Outside of the top 10 everything is a coinflip as to whether the player will be in the league in 2 years.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sceptical about whether either of the two pass-rushers we drafted in the third or fourth will actually produce. I don't think Ross is a great scheme fit, and Mixon is Mixon, but I feel like we did really well in the later rounds.

If you added the two drafted players from last year who never even got to play a preseason snap it seems like the team will be better in all three phases. The team will live or die based on their ability to find a line that works, though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not sure why anyone is trying to project what drafts were good. Outside of the top 10 everything is a coinflip as to whether the player will be in the league in 2 years.

It's fun and the last nuggets of football content we can consume for the next three months, but I hear your point.

Almost every post-first round pick gets around a B+ for filling a need, but questions on how the talent will translate to the pro level. The consensus lovely picks, though, usually end up staying lovely.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Pretty excited about the Raiders safety they drafted in the second round specifically to counter Gronk

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

fsif posted:

It's fun and the last nuggets of football content we can consume for the next three months, but I hear your point.

Almost every post-first round pick gets around a B+ for filling a need, but questions on how the talent will translate to the pro level. The consensus lovely picks, though, usually end up staying lovely.

Sorry I was in a buzzkill mood, I actually agree with you.

I want the Eagles to get one or two good seasons out of Pumphrey, a little tiny man that no one can see squeezing through traffic like Simba in the wildebeest would be hilarious.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

One year after the whitest, gooniest draft ever, the Lions picked two late-round defensive ends and no O-linemen whatsoever. Shameful.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CharlestheHammer posted:

So that's a yes

Lol

The fact that you don't agree about my opinions on polygraphs means that you agree with them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blitz7x posted:

Pretty excited about the Raiders safety they drafted in the second round specifically to counter Gronk

Sure that should go well

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fenrir posted:

1/3rds of the draft won't make it out of camp, most likely, because the Packers drafted two WRs and three RBs and the offense is already stacked. Malachi Dupre looks like he might stick around, Yancey probably won't, one of Janis/Davis is probably gone. One of the three RBs we took will probably end up our main bruiser with Monty spelling him.

The defensive picks seem good - not only do they fill a need, they're also significantly larger and faster than the usual players we draft. Also we drafted Vince Biegel out of Wisconsin and I'm sure he's selling dozens of jerseys already.

There's some speculation that Eliot Wolf had much more of a hand in this offseason's free agency and drafting, which is why it seems so uncharacteristic of Ted's usual approach.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 30, 2017

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Blitz7x posted:

I wanted Obi for that very reason.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

I'm glad the Vikings were able to fill their "RB who beat up helpless victims" quotient ;)

Please don't talk about the Gators and Hurricanes itt.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm joining a sunday afternoon book club

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I wanted Obi for that very reason.

I kind of want to see a couple of seasons before I go that far but I sure as poo poo wouldn't argue.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chokes McGee posted:

I kind of want to see a couple of seasons before I go that far but I sure as poo poo wouldn't argue.

Obviously just drafting him isn't crossing Gronks name off the list, but he has the build and athleticism that the Raiders don't currently have.

After the amount of yards that tight ends gouged the Raiders for last year I'm shocked the Raiders only took two safeties

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm honestly not sure why Ted took Yancey in the fifth. He has the physical measurables that every single other Packers WR he's drafted (excluding Cobb, who fell to the Packers and got snapped up as BPA) has had, but his career at Purdue was pedestrian and he has the dropsies. Seems like he could have been picked up later on in the draft.

That's pretty much the only Packers pick in this draft that I'm not at least neutral on.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's some speculation that Eliot Wolf had much more of a hand in this offseason's free agency and drafting, which is why it seems so uncharacteristic of Ted's usual approach.

I am, so far, very much pleased with how this whole thing is panning out.
If this goes Ron Wolf -> Ted Thompson -> Eliot Wolf as the string of Packers GMs from 1991 to 20?? I am so far very, very ok with all of this.

edit: Or if Eliot goes to SF and was behind them loving the Bears, I'm also ok with that too. Sorry Bears.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 30, 2017

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

I didn't mind the Vikings going for quantity over quality but poo poo, Rick, how bout you get some tackles and see if any of them can hang. Clemmings is still the top backup and he frankly hasn't shown anything to merit hope for a turnaround.

Supposedly, they were going to take Antonio Garcia, but New England traded ahead of them to take him. That being said, I agree that they needed to address tackle depth, because having Clemmings as the next man up is still an issue. Next year's OT class is supposed to be much better, but with so many teams needed OT help and the unpredictability of the draft, that is hardly something they can rely on. I do think that their interior OL depth is starting to get better, so there is some progress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chokes McGee posted:

The fact that you don't agree about my opinions on polygraphs means that you agree with them

What.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What's a great draft? Getting 3 first year starters?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Basically.

If you can get 2-3 immediate starters, a couple of developmental backup types, and some camp bodies, it's a good draft.

anything after the third is total guesswork.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Basically.

If you can get 2-3 immediate starters, a couple of developmental backup types, and some camp bodies, it's a good draft.

anything after the third is total guesswork.

That's what I thought. I'm kinda curious because the Patriots look a shitload stronger but may have sacrificed long term potential. I'm not sure how to analyze their off-season since they traded all those picks, but they said they only had roughly 50-75 players as draftable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's what I thought. I'm kinda curious because the Patriots look a shitload stronger but may have sacrificed long term potential. I'm not sure how to analyze their off-season since they traded all those picks, but they said they only had roughly 50-75 players as draftable.

In the world the rest of us inhabit, the Patriots should be sacrificing long term viability for short term success, based on the age of their hall of fame quarterback. It doesn't matter if they're trading future pieces.

In the world the Patriots inhabit, they just drafted a bunch of hall of famers in the 4th round, everyone is going to play for free, and oh I don't know Tom Brady will start another 10 seasons.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Sorry I was in a buzzkill mood [...]

Traipse into other threads and poo poo on them.
In this thread, hope springs annually.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I didn't expect world shaking poo poo with the Packers being at 29 and I figured Ted would trade out of the first round, he's done that before.

SKULL.GIF posted:

1/3rds of the draft won't make it out of camp, most likely, because the Packers drafted two WRs and three RBs and the offense is already stacked. Malachi Dupre looks like he might stick around, Yancey probably won't, one of Janis/Davis is probably gone. One of the three RBs we took will probably end up our main bruiser with Monty spelling him.

The defensive picks seem good - not only do they fill a need, they're also significantly larger and faster than the usual players we draft. Also we drafted Vince Biegel out of Wisconsin and I'm sure he's selling dozens of jerseys already.

Right, when I saw 3 RBs I knew right away that they're gonna shake that tree until something decent falls out and toss the rest. I was happy with the Kevin King pick and also the trade down when the guys realized he'd probably still be there at the top of the 2nd. Might as well get him and an extra pick to throw a dart and see if it lands. Not sure what to think about the late round WRs but if even one pans out it's a win. It wouldn't be the first time one became a legit starter with the Pack.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Hope he can play middle linebacker because someone has to. It's in the rules.

• Locked thread