Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Yay! I've been freelancing for maybe 8 years as a web designer and developer myself - it's been interesting but has had a lot of challenges. There's a lot of advice out there that glorifies the lifestyle of grinding away nonstop and rising to any challenge like a boss because that's just what motivated self-starters do - I wish I learned earlier that there's nothing glamorous about that. Freelancing is a just another way of being employed, and part of any employment situation is making sure that you're working within your scope, not being exploited, and being paid fairly for your output. I might be projecting a little here, but I do see plenty of situations in /r/freelancing and other places where someone's killing themselves after over-promising or being too agreeable just to get a contract.

Another thing is maintaining your skill set can be tricky if all of your time is being taken up grinding out the usual projects. Right now I'm kinda left in the dust because I missed the boat on JS frameworks and I'm just catching up now, I was too busy getting new contracts and maintaining old ones. At my other long time part-time gig for a large organization I can tell HR or leadership that I'm interested in making moves, and they'll either funnel me into a mentor situation or have me take on more tasks until I'm ready to join a team that's moving forward as the industry progresses. Freelancing you won't have that comfort - you have to adapt on your own time, and a lot of that's going to be unpaid.

I have plenty more to say but I'm already sounding grouchy :P I actually love it and it's a lot of fun if you're the type of person who likes the challenge.

quote:

HAVE A CONTRACT!

Yeah this too x1000, it doesn't matter if your first gigs are working for a friend or whatever. Just follow Kedo's advice and get the boilerplate if it seems like too much hassle. You'll thank yourself later when a dispute inevitably arises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread