Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sure that's cool. I wasn't even bothering to try to recruit until maybe early August because that's when goons start really paying attention to fantasy football again.

Sataere posted:

Beer, this is what I was talking about.

Thanks! Yeah feel free to link them if you want Beer, although they are gonna get changed periodically as the league votes for rules changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Looks like Perine is getting a pretty good bump in Waldman's Post draft Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I can see a pretty big hype train for him by the time training camp is over.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

drizzle posted:

Looks like Perine is getting a pretty good bump in Waldman's Post draft Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I can see a pretty big hype train for him by the time training camp is over.

I think he was always gonna be a bottom of the first / top of the second guy in dynasty. Or do they have him higher?

This is my first year trying to break down the draft / dynasty. It's gonna be interesting how my projections rank against the experts.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Don't want to give too much away or anything but he's fifth overall in his rankings now

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drizzle posted:

Don't want to give too much away or anything but he's fifth overall in his rankings now

That's awful

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

drizzle posted:

So your saying that I should forward his rankings to all my friends in my dynasty league? Because that's what I am hearing.

Fifth overall is insane. I'm not convinced he's the fifth best running back.

Just curious, big could you post his top ten overall from last year? I was perusing through his website, and I am intrigued, big not sure I agree with his methodology.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Sure

Elliott
Treadwell
Coleman
Dixon
Henry
Goff
Thomas
Shepard
Doctson
Carroo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

drizzle posted:

Sure

Elliott
Treadwell
Coleman
Dixon
Henry
Goff
Thomas
Shepard
Doctson
Carroo

Interesting. That is very different from a lot of the projections I saw. I can't fault him too much. He liked Treadwell as much as I did.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sataere posted:

Interesting. That is very different from a lot of the projections I saw. I can't fault him too much. He liked Treadwell as much as I did.

I feel like any ball-carrying NFL player named Treadwell gets an automatic ADP boost just from the name.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

Eh, looks contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. Goff wasn't going that high even in 2 QB leagues, and would be curious why he had Doctson so low, when I think he was the one out of the consensus top 3 WRs that most people agreed should be there (Treadwell definitely the one that consensus worried about most). Just kinda worried it's throwing contrarian takes out and then getting credit for the ones that hit, like how I want to say "but credit to him for having Henry higher than most, dude looks awesome."

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Wow, lot of news today.
- Bills did not pick up Watkin's 5th year option.
- Jamaal Charles signed with the Broncos for no guaranteed money ($1mil base, $2.5mil incentives) and will miss most of the offseason activities (he'll be fighting for a roster spot).
- 49ers cut a bunch of wide receivers but none of them were Bruce Ellington, who is already injured again (sigh).
- Rumors of interest in Blount from Lions and Giants.
- Bears signed Bradley Sowell, literally the worst left tackle in football last year.
- Current Jets quarterback roster consists of Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty, and the coach (Todd Bowles) just said that all three will split 1st-team snaps. Race to the bottom wooooooo!

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Eh, looks contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. Goff wasn't going that high even in 2 QB leagues, and would be curious why he had Doctson so low, when I think he was the one out of the consensus top 3 WRs that most people agreed should be there (Treadwell definitely the one that consensus worried about most). Just kinda worried it's throwing contrarian takes out and then getting credit for the ones that hit, like how I want to say "but credit to him for having Henry higher than most, dude looks awesome."

Could be, or it could be his actual opinion. He does a two to three page write up on the top fifty or so players at each position and includes the 1000 or so pages of his film notes so it's not like he's throwing out rankings without justification like most sites.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drizzle posted:

Could be, or it could be his actual opinion. He does a two to three page write up on the top fifty or so players at each position and includes the 1000 or so pages of his film notes so it's not like he's throwing out rankings without justification like most sites.

Ah ok, that's a ton of work, so will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

drizzle posted:

Sure

Elliott
Treadwell
Coleman
Dixon
Henry
Goff
Thomas
Shepard
Doctson
Carroo

Treadwell #2 rookie, don't trust a word this guy says he's clearly a moron who couldn't find his own rear end in a top hat squatting over a mirror

Forever_Peace posted:

- Jamaal Charles signed with the Broncos for no guaranteed money ($1mil base, $2.5mil incentives) and will miss most of the offseason activities (he'll be fighting for a roster spot).

avast ye charles truthers look upon this and despair

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 3, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Sataere posted:

Treadwell is another in a long line of lovely Vikings WRs who can't run routes or catch passes. And also the Vikings are bad. This team has never once in its existence known how to evaluate WR talent and the two best WRs in their history they got for pennies on the dollar specifically because no one else wanted them.

Treadwell is going to be like a better Mike Williams, his ceiling is like fuckin Braylon Edwards. Don't loving trust this team and their lovely QBs that wouldn't make Treadwell worth anything anyway

e: before anyone tries to pull some "but teddy.." poo poo, he was going to be like the next Jeff Garcia, Treadwell was not worth owning by anyone but the most WR hungry dynasty owners

e2: This is a team that threw away a 1st round pick so that they can miss the playoffs while Sam loving Bradford was throwing passes to the feet of Adam loving Thelein. I wouldn't trust the Minnesota Vikings to find the holes on a bowling ball, let anyone competently manage a football team or evaluate talent

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 3, 2017

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Decided to see if it was time to take teemu off ignore for the new season.

Nope.

Holding out hope for next year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Treadwell is another in a long line of lovely Vikings WRs who can't run routes or catch passes. And also the Vikings are bad. This team has never once in its existence known how to evaluate WR talent and the two best WRs in their history they got for pennies on the dollar specifically because no one else wanted them.

Treadwell is going to be like a better Mike Williams, his ceiling is like fuckin Braylon Edwards. Don't loving trust this team and their lovely QBs that wouldn't make Treadwell worth anything anyway

e: before anyone tries to pull some "but teddy.." poo poo, he was going to be like the next Jeff Garcia, Treadwell was not worth owning by anyone but the most WR hungry dynasty owners

e2: This is a team that threw away a 1st round pick so that they can miss the playoffs while Sam loving Bradford was throwing passes to the feet of Adam loving Thelein. I wouldn't trust the Minnesota Vikings to find the holes on a bowling ball, let anyone competently manage a football team or evaluate talent

To be fair, that was the list going into dynasty draft last year. A lot of people, myself included, liked Treadwell. Of course, I'm an idiot, so maybe you are right.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

Decided to see if it was time to take teemu off ignore for the new season.

Nope.

Holding out hope for next year.

lol drat

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If my TE posts weren't enough indication, hate sustains me

Sataere posted:

To be fair, that was the list going into dynasty draft last year. A lot of people, myself included, liked Treadwell. Of course, I'm an idiot, so maybe you are right.

I thought that was just straight up rookie rankings for players in 2016, so then I'll admittedly dial back that vitriol from 11 to like 8.5

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If my TE posts weren't enough indication, hate sustains me

I thought that was just straight up rookie rankings for players in 2016, so then I'll admittedly dial back that vitriol from 11 to like 8.5

It was still a bad list. Dixon over Henry was absurd and Goff in the top ten was dumb.

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm not sure I buy the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian school of thought. If anything, it shows his willingness to look at things objectively and not let consensus sway him, which I respect.

I don't think draft and fantasy evaluations should be encouraged to follow the consensus, because they are all very wrong all the time. If he was contrary to a guy whose rankings were spot on 90% of the time, it'd be one thing. But nobody is that good. Being right 50% of the time probably makes you some combination of Einstein and Nostradamus.

I think the flaw is his rankings seem to be based solely on scouting, which is a bad way to evaluate players in fantasy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I guess the Jets and Bears are pretty good teams to stream defenses against (and avoid taking players from). Who else?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Last year was just a tough rookie class. When rookie drafts were going on, everybody agreed that Zeke, Shepard, Henry, Boyd, and Thomas should be taken early/mid 1st (which seems correct), and pretty much nobody was on Hunter Henry, Dak, Hill, Hooper, or Kelley.

Most of the accuracy differences boil down to how much you liked Howard (who is good) and Booker (who is not).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evaluating rookies pre-pre-season is a total crapshoot. Even the best NFL teams can't do it reliably. A huge percentage of first round NFL draft picks are busts and another huge chunk stay in the NFL but wind up clearly not having been worth a first round pick. If someone is ranking rookies before they've even seen pre-season games, and they manage to get even like 30% right, they're doing fantastically in my opinion.

From a fantasy perspective, everything is a huge gamble, most of your team should be veterans. In Dynasty you have to grab some rookies just for the chance that you get a Zeke or a David Johnson but just assume you won't, and play accordingly.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I guess the Jets and Bears are pretty good teams to stream defenses against (and avoid taking players from). Who else?

Probably the Vikings if the teams playing those guys aren't available. I'm anticipating a lot of unders for their games this year

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I'm not sure I buy the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian school of thought. If anything, it shows his willingness to look at things objectively and not let consensus sway him, which I respect.

When you say you don't buy the school of thought, you just mean in this instance, right? Not that no one does it?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Judging a class of rookies after one year is really stupid guys

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drizzle posted:

Judging a class of rookies after one year is really stupid guys

If you're not playing a keeper/dynasty league, rookie ratings only matter for one year... or really just until the draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

When you say you don't buy the school of thought, you just mean in this instance, right? Not that no one does it?

I don't believe in Santa Claus, I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy and i dont believe in Skip Bayless! :colbert:

Yeah, in this instance.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

It's May - dynasty talk time my friends. Normies don't start showing up in this thread for another month or two. Slow draft and MFL chat will be upon us soon.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Alright, dynasty trade time.

Superflex, 1 PPR, 12 team, 1 QB / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 QWRT / 3 WRT.

Ezekiel Elliott vs pick 4, 6, and 11

Probably looking at Mixon/Cook at 4, Mixon/Cook/Williams/Watson at 6, and Ross/Mahomes/some scrub lower tier RB at 11. Doesn't feel enough for Zeke, does it?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 4, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Zeke feels like he starts with 2 top-five picks in this particular draft.

Personally, I wouldn't trade him unless it started at 1.01 and 1.02 this year and went from there.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Alright, dynasty trade time.

Superflex, 1 PPR, 12 team, 1 QB / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 QWRT / 3 WRT.

Ezekiel Elliott vs pick 4, 6, and 11

Probably looking at Mixon/Cook at 4, Mixon/Cook/Williams/Watson at 6, and Ross/Mahomes/some scrub lower tier RB at 11. Doesn't feel enough for Zeke, does it?

Zeke is too good to trade, unless you get a boatload of talent and I don't think draft capital is enough. I mean, 4, 6 and 11 could be nice, but you are essentially trading a top five dynasty piece over the next five years for three lottery picks.

And this is coming from someone who likes this first round a lot.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cool, thanks for the input. I tried to get him to do his 2018 1st instead of 1.11, but no luck. His QBs are rough (Flacco, Palmer, Savage), so even though he was runner up last year, chances are that 2018 1st would be more middle of the pack.

I just almost always try to trade assets when they're realistically unable to increase in value, or at least very unlikely to do so. So far this off season I've moved several shares of Mike Evans, one David Johnson, and one Beckham. People seem to attach a premium to getting the best player in a deal and have a crazy recency bias/impatience, so I try to take advantage. Maybe will regret it, but I think it's a sound general strategy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Cool, thanks for the input. I tried to get him to do his 2018 1st instead of 1.11, but no luck. His QBs are rough (Flacco, Palmer, Savage), so even though he was runner up last year, chances are that 2018 1st would be more middle of the pack.

I just almost always try to trade assets when they're realistically unable to increase in value, or at least very unlikely to do so. So far this off season I've moved several shares of Mike Evans, one David Johnson, and one Beckham. People seem to attach a premium to getting the best player in a deal and have a crazy recency bias/impatience, so I try to take advantage. Maybe will regret it, but I think it's a sound general strategy.

It's a great strategy. I adhere to it also. But you need to do it in a way that makes you stronger long term and minimizes risk.

What does your current roster look like?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

It's a great strategy. I adhere to it also. But you need to do it in a way that makes you stronger long term and minimizes risk.

What does your current roster look like?

Winston / Prescott / Tyrod

Elliott / Ware / Powell / Rawls

Julio / Jordy / Moncrief / Tate / Tyrell Williams / Mike Wallace / Decker / Marvin Jones

Graham / Ebron

Good IDPs that I won't list because there's a ton of them

Pick 1.03 this year, someone else's probable mid 2018 1st, no other picks of note either year

Basically feel like depth at RB will be critical for me this year. Pick 3 should get me someone good, but don't think I can pass on Corey Davis if Fournette and McCaffrey go 1 and 2. So 4 and 6 being two of Mixon/Cook/Watson is pretty appealing. Just isn't getting enough back for Zeke, as Mixon and Cook could also easily not beat out Hill/Gio/Murray/McKinnon as clear cut workhorses and Watson is probably going to be a massive disappointment.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I remember saying a month ago Fournette would be the number one and it seemed everyone was favoring Cook. Glad to see I was on point with that. :v:

I agree with your top three currently, but I also think this is a great year to trade down if you can swing it. Cook and Mixon could easily end up being top picks at RB in this draft and Williams and Ross are strong first picks at WR. I think this draft lacks a Zeke, but last year felt like the drop off after four was huge. This year, I think the top nine all have great upside.

I think any trade you make should also net you an RB or TE upgrade alongside picks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cook's combine and draft day slip have spooked a lot of people, maybe too much. Williams I hate the landing spot, and some were already souring a little on him as a prospect (want to say his vertical and arm length were pretty poor?). It was such a weird real NFL draft with that top 9 too.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

DON'T 👏 DRAFT 👏 TIGHT 👏 ENDS 👏

Dwayne Allen, late round. A sure bet for whenever you play me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Cook's combine and draft day slip have spooked a lot of people, maybe too much. Williams I hate the landing spot, and some were already souring a little on him as a prospect (want to say his vertical and arm length were pretty poor?). It was such a weird real NFL draft with that top 9 too.

Yeah, I haven't started really looking at stuff in detail yet. I have spent the last two months just taking notes on what to look for, trying to figure out a solid methodology for valuing players.

The problem is, I don't think it's a one month project. I have so many variables I want to play around with that it is all very daunting. It's been about 6 years since I've nerded out this hard over fantasy sports.

I think Ross and Mixob have some serious questions too. The opportunities are absolutely there for a lot of production with a great draft. This feels like a very deep rookie class. I'm very happy that I have the 1.01, 2.01, 2.04 and 2.06 this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://nesn.com/2017/05/this-espn-fantasy-football-scoring-change-could-greatly-affect-your-league/

ESPN is no longer going to count touchdowns given up by the offense against your DST.

• Locked thread