Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't necessary imo. It's not like the NFL where salaries keep increasing because the league is making more money. If someone doesn't want to gut their team they should manage it better.

I mean if salaries increase then a cap increase every year or two isn't a big deal. But I see your point since contracts aren't involved as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

You guys thought about increasing cap space by 5% or so yearly to keep guys from having to gut their teams but still keep things from getting outrageous?

Doesn't make sense for cap space to grow. The issue he had is that their league only requires you to be cap compliant at season start, so he went out and made a bunch of acquisitions that pushed him over the limit, and now he has to manage that. That's not a bad thing from my perspective.

re: moving Brown; I think if you're getting JGordon back in that deal, it's an okay move. Evans is still probably a top 5 WR dynasty asset, and if your league is undervaluing him, you'd probably rather have him + some other assets than Brown and nothing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

Doesn't make sense for cap space to grow. The issue he had is that their league only requires you to be cap compliant at season start, so he went out and made a bunch of acquisitions that pushed him over the limit, and now he has to manage that. That's not a bad thing from my perspective.

re: moving Brown; I think if you're getting JGordon back in that deal, it's an okay move. Evans is still probably a top 5 WR dynasty asset, and if your league is undervaluing him, you'd probably rather have him + some other assets than Brown and nothing.

I agree, but I also think Brown can win me my league this year. Evans, not so much.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Anyone wanna help me pick 7 keepers?
0.5 PPR, defensive scoring is roughly on par with offense (as in, given equal positional scarcity/player exceptional-ness, a defense position is as good as offense for keeping).

I'm really torn over whether to try and make room for Luck. Myles Garrett probably isn't worth a keep but I want to love him enough to justify that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wasn't Garrett a beast when he was healthy? I don't play in an IDP league but I thought I remembered reading something about how he was looking like a good use of the high draft pick.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Anyone wanna help me pick 7 keepers?
0.5 PPR, defensive scoring is roughly on par with offense (as in, given equal positional scarcity/player exceptional-ness, a defense position is as good as offense for keeping).

I'm really torn over whether to try and make room for Luck. Myles Garrett probably isn't worth a keep but I want to love him enough to justify that.

What picks do you have in the draft (or is it auction based)?

I'd actually drop Cooper & Watkins since you have Nuk & Arob.

I'd keep:
CMC
Nuk
Mack
Mosley
Marshall or Garrett (depending on scoring settings) or Cooper/Watkins
Ansah
Arob

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Poque posted:

Wasn't Garrett a beast when he was healthy? I don't play in an IDP league but I thought I remembered reading something about how he was looking like a good use of the high draft pick.

He did look really good when healthy, and DL is more top heavy than LB, from what I've seen (this is my second year doing IDP so I'm still getting a feel for it).

Alfalfa posted:

What picks do you have in the draft (or is it auction based)?

I'd actually drop Cooper & Watkins since you have Nuk & Arob.

I'd keep:
CMC
Nuk
Mack
Mosley
Marshall or Garrett (depending on scoring settings) or Cooper/Watkins
Ansah
Arob

I have #11 overall (then 27, then 43). With only 7 keepers and so many roster slots apiece there will definitely be some premium talent available in the early rounds, though there is gonna be a two-team expansion draft before the real draft. Should make things interesting. Curious why Ansah is worth a keep? He wasn't even on my radar tbh, had some pretty forgettable games but maybe I'm over-remembering those.
You make a good point, might not be worth keeping so many WR but on the other hand, I'd prob rather keep the top flight talent and look to make a trade?

(For the time being I've de-selected Watkins and made Garrett a keep, which I feel good about, so thanks both of ya).

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Pancakes by Mail posted:

He did look really good when healthy, and DL is more top heavy than LB, from what I've seen (this is my second year doing IDP so I'm still getting a feel for it).

I have #11 overall (then 27, then 43). With only 7 keepers and so many roster slots apiece there will definitely be some premium talent available in the early rounds, though there is gonna be a two-team expansion draft before the real draft. Should make things interesting. Curious why Ansah is worth a keep? He wasn't even on my radar tbh, had some pretty forgettable games but maybe I'm over-remembering those.
You make a good point, might not be worth keeping so many WR but on the other hand, I'd prob rather keep the top flight talent and look to make a trade?

(For the time being I've de-selected Watkins and made Garrett a keep, which I feel good about, so thanks both of ya).

Don’t keep Ansah. I forgot how good Zettel was lining up on the other side last season.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I'm bored. Combine needs to hurry up to maybe breathe a little life into this thread.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

Hope you guys don’t mind me still shamelessly asking for dynasty advice in here.

To refresh your memory, the league is a 25 man dynasty salary cap league. Starting roster is 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX. $250 salary cap, with salaries increasing by $1 or 10% each year (whichever is higher). I’m way over the cap and need to cut payroll.

My Team
QB
J. Goff - 3
B. Bortles - 2
C. Keenum - 2
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
C. Anderson - 11
O. Darkwa - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
C. Carson - 2
J. Conner - 3
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
A. Cooper - 31
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
TE
T. Kelce - 21
H. Henry - 3

2018 TOTAL SALARY - $342

I was offered Ebron($2) and Funchess($2) for Cooper($31) and CJ Anderson($11). Thoughts? It looks good to me, and it would shave $38 off my salary. I also receive two cost controlled young players with bright futures.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

I was offered Ebron($2) and Funchess($2) for Cooper($31) and CJ Anderson($11). Thoughts? It looks good to me, and it would shave $38 off my salary. I also receive two cost controlled young players with bright futures.

I'd be very tempted. I've been down on Ebron, but the second half of last season, he looked different to me. I can't tell if it's because of a looming contract with him though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would love that trade. It's hard to know WTF is going on with Oakland and how Gruden will influence things, meanwhile you're getting a ton of value.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That trade is giving away a ton of talent and you may regret it if Cooper finally learns how to get open in the red zone. BUT if you're looking to shed salary it's really good. This is from a guy who hates CJA and Cooper, too.

Also I love Ebron again this year:

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

From a skill standpoint, you lose the trade. I think Cooper rebounds and is better than funchess. I have no faith in CJA or ebron. How close to cap compliant does this move make you?

This probably doesn't really impact your starting roster, does it? Or I guess Cooper may be a starter for you?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

He won’t take Evans?

I’m holding Cooper

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917961/article/jon-gruden-amari-cooper-will-be-offensive-focal-point

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

From a skill standpoint, you lose the trade. I think Cooper rebounds and is better than funchess. I have no faith in CJA or ebron. How close to cap compliant does this move make you?

This probably doesn't really impact your starting roster, does it? Or I guess Cooper may be a starter for you?

My current salary is $342, and I need to get below $250 before the draft. Even more if I want to draft any rookies. This would drop my current salary from $342 to $304.

Here are my recievers:

A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
A. Cooper - 31
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2

I'm probably going to have to trade or cut Evans as well, so it would leave me with Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins as my WR1/WR2, with Thomas, Anderson, Jeffery, Crabtree, Benjamin, Westbrook, Robinson, White, & Mitchell to play in the 3 flex spots depending on matchups. Needless to say, I have the best receiving core in the league, by a mile.

I saw that, and I will counter with Evans first, but his $55 salary is a killer, no one wants to take that on.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 1, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeah if you can move Evans instead it's even better.

I don't know what to make of Cooper.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know what to make of Cooper.

I'd love to keep him another year and see how he does under Gruden, especially with the recent comment that he will be the focal point of the offense.

BUT

He costs me $31, which hurts, and he was the focal point of the offense last year too, and he played like poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

I'd love to keep him another year and see how he does under Gruden, especially with the recent comment that he will be the focal point of the offense.

BUT

He costs me $31, which hurts, and he was the focal point of the offense last year too, and he played like poo poo.

Yeah it's a huge risk. You're also insanely stacked at WR so it's hard to really know what to do. Can you trade players for draft picks?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's a huge risk. You're also insanely stacked at WR so it's hard to really know what to do. Can you trade players for draft picks?

I could, yes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

I could, yes.

Given how stacked you are I would look at moving folks like Evans for picks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given how stacked you are I would look at moving folks like Evans for picks.

There isn't really anyone in his league that can absorb Evans, going by his post from earlier. It's probably one of the worst contracts in the league right now :shrug:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 1, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

My current salary is $342, and I need to get below $250 before the draft. Even more if I want to draft any rookies. This would drop my current salary from $342 to $304.

Here are my recievers:

A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
A. Cooper - 31
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2

I'm probably going to have to trade or cut Evans as well, so it would leave me with Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins as my WR1/WR2, with Thomas, Anderson, Jeffery, Crabtree, Benjamin, Westbrook, Robinson, White, & Mitchell to play in the 3 flex spots depending on matchups. Needless to say, I have the best receiving core in the league, by a mile.

I saw that, and I will counter with Evans first, but his $55 salary is a killer, no one wants to take that on.

Make the trade then or see if he will do Evans straight up. If the Cooper trade goes through then cut DT, Jeffery, Benjamin, White, & Mitchell. That gets you to $250. Then look to trade Evans after cuts are made to someone who has space.

What is 1st round rookie salary?

I'd cut those guys because you can probably get them back cheaper in FA once/if you have space. I'd much rather keep Nuk, Brown, Evans and gamble on a small roster (especially if you have an IR spot that discounts salary).

I'd make that trade and those cuts then you have plenty of time and still one of the biggest dynasty assets to use for picks or trades the rest of the off-season.

The worst thing that can happen is you end up cutting Evans later because no one wants him and get him back in the FA pool with enough cap room to draft and bid on any of those guys.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 1, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think Evans is untradable. $55 this year, $61 next year, $67 the following year, etc. I’m probably going have to cut him at some point. Probably before the upcoming draft. No one is going to dismantle half their team to make space for the most expensive WR in the league who’s coming off a disappointing season.

Alfalfa posted:

Make the trade then. Then cut DT, Jeffery, Benjamin, White, & Mitchell. That gets you to $250. Then look to trade Evans after cuts are made to someone who has space. What is 1st round rookie salary?

Id rather keep all those manageable contracts, and cut Evans. First round rookie salary varies between $16-$20 depending on how early the pick is in the round.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

Id rather keep all those manageable contracts, and cut Evans. First round rookie salary varies between $16-$20 depending on how early the pick is in the round.

Which is still a possibility later.

I'd keep shopping Evans especially after cuts. Worse thing that can happen later is you do end up having to cut him when then you can get those guys back for even cheaper since I imagine all these over blown contracts this year, everyone is going to be very shiesty in their spending.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think this thread has it best. See if you can counter with Evans. If he doesn't bite, trade Cooper and then cut Evans at some point.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I feel like the only person here who doesn't want anything to do with Mike Evans

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Poque posted:

I feel like the only person here who doesn't want anything to do with Mike Evans

Never touching him again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

You are not

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Poque posted:

Yeah. I've got him on my dynasty team and I'm really worried. I feel like all of his value has come from ridiculous volume but that he's not actually a top-10 NFL wide receiver talentwise, and that the Bucs are not going to keep trying to run their entire offense based on feeding him the ball constantly.

That doesn't mean he's worthless, and just refusing to touch him ever is an over-reaction. But, if anyone else in your league is willing to pay him as a top-5 WR, let them take that risk, in my opinion.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'd take him at the right price. More than AB is definitely not that price.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Evans in the second or third is a no brainer. He is still great. It's just whether Jameis can get it done.

I wouldn't take him in the first, but I wouldn't take him last year at his price. If I'm taking someone in the first, I generally need at least two seasons of elite production.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I almost wonder about trading AB for a ransom.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Again, the salary makes it hard. I shopped him around and couldn't get any great offers. I think the best offer I got was Josh Gordon($2), DeVante Parker($10), and a 2nd round pick.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If he can flip Evans for Cooper in that deal, I would definitely consider it. I love AB84, but regression is coming soon. His value will never be as high as it is right now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Again, the salary makes it hard. I shopped him around and couldn't get any great offers. I think the best offer I got was Josh Gordon($2), DeVante Parker($10), and a 2nd round pick.

Did you counter at all? I think changing that pick to a first, plus another player could be worthwhile.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Did you counter at all? I think changing that pick to a first, plus another player could be worthwhile.

I countered with Clement, Collins, Gordon, and second rounder. Which he declined.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

I countered with Clement, Collins, Gordon, and second rounder. Which he declined.

Oh well. Even though I just said his value will never be higher, if he starts off strong, you should be able to trade him mid-season for a monster haul. People will be less worried about his contract if they are going for a playoff push.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was the clear favorite to win last year (My total points scored was like 300 better than second place), but lost in the semi's due to AB and Burkhead getting hurt (I lost by a tenth of a point even after losing those 2). I'm definitely the clear favorite again this year and that $1,000 winnings would go a long way, so I'm inclined to keep AB rather than trade him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

I was the clear favorite to win last year (My total points scored was like 300 better than second place), but lost in the semi's due to AB and Burkhead getting hurt (I lost by a tenth of a point even after losing those 2). I'm definitely the clear favorite again this year and that $1,000 winnings would go a long way, so I'm inclined to keep AB rather than trade him.

Also a solid move. My biggest failing in dynasty is trying to get younger and cost controlled players. Sometimes to the detriment of my long term success.

• Locked thread