Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Just saw he was Mayock's #5 RB. Could be interesting, but I have to imagine they're still going to be really pass-heavy in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rotopass doesn't have a discount code this year, right?

Was wondering the same thing. Worried i might have to listen to a Bachelorette podcast to find out.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Wow. I gotta think he lands and plays somewhere right? He's not that old/broken, is he?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Keeper rules for 12 man league just got nailed down and I've got a decision. Full PPR, QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/DST, 8 bench spots. We keep two players at the same round in which they were acquired the previous year. If they weren't drafted last year, they count as a 10th round pick. I finished 2nd overall, so I'm drafting in the 11th spot in the snake draft. After weeding out the obvious non-keeper candidates, I'm down to:

quote:

D Johnson, Ari RB 1st
J Nelson, GB WR 2nd
J Edelman, NE WR 4th
L Fitzgerald, Ari WR 5th
T Montgomery, GB WR, RB 10th
J Crowder, Wsh WR 10th

I think keeping David Johnson for 1.11 is obvious, but I'm torn as to my second. Both Montgomery and Crowder seem like steals in the 10th. I should be able to get Nelson at 2.2 if I want him there, so probably not worth keeping him. Edelman and Fitzgerald are in similar positions, in that I think they'll probably go in that general range, so I think this really comes down to Montgomery or Crowder in the 10th.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Remember that Keeper rules mean that the early rounds will be far more depleted than usual; Jordy Nelson likely won't be there in the second. That said I'm a big fan of drafting on value. Johnson is absolutely an obvious pick and even the 10 spots is significant value. As for your second, here are the consensus ADP from FantasyPros and where you would be drafting them:

Nelson: 12.5 [11]
Edelman: 49.5 [38]
Fitzgerald: 53.5 [59]
Montgomery: 49.5 [110]
Crowder: 65 [110]

So by ADP Montgomery is your best bet. Plus if he's still a RB/WR then that could be fantastic.

Yeah, remembered I could just do math on this using Fantasy Pros right after I posted.

Going to plan on Johnson and Montgomery barring a major shakeup in Green Bay during training camp.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Every time I hear Bloom say Cecil is on assignment and won't be on the podcast that episode, I smile.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I am definitely pushing my reasonable number of leagues, but I'd be down for a Goon Fish Bowl

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

http://scottfishbowl.com/2017/rules-playoffs.php

the sheer scale of it all means there aren't any head to head matchups

Scott Fish Bowl posted:

The SFB Main Event Playoff Tournament!!!

If you haven't played before, you are probably confused on how this 720 team thing works!!!
Each Conference has 60 teams. 30 will make the playoffs.
The team with the best record, THEN the team with the most points in each division will receive a bye (10 teams).
After that there will be 20 wild card teams that play week 13. These teams will be the top 10 records in the conference regardless of division THEN the top 10 point scoring teams in the conference regardless of division.
Playoffs will run during NFL weeks 13-16.
Weeks 13,14, and 15 are conference play.
Week 16 is the final between teams from all 12 conferences.

While a massive SA Bowl with multiple divisions would be cool, I'm more interested in a 10-14 team league with SFB rosters & scoring.

Scott Fish Bowl posted:

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex (can flex 1 QB) - (11 Total)
Bench: 11 players
Waivers: $100 Blind Bidding

Scoring
Scoring is fractional (meaning 4 yards rushing = .4 points, 1 yard passing = .04 points, etc)

Passing:
6 point passing TD,
1 point for 25 yards passing (.04/per),
1 point per 2 point conversions

Rushing:
5 point rushing TD (first down is another pt)
1 point for 10 yards rushing (.1/per),
2 points for 2 point conversions
1 points per 1st down

Receiving:
5 point receiving TD (first down is another pt)
1 point for 10 yards receiving (.1/per),
2 points for 2 point conversions,
1 points per 1st down
TE: Extra 1.5 point per first down

Returns:
6 point for any return TD
6 points if your player recovers a ball in the endzone for a TD

Seems like this makes for some really interesting positional balance.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

PM sent

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I feel like the Perkins hype train is really getting going and I'm legitimately curious to see how it plays out. The line is just so bad, but the receiving corps is such a threat.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Schefter says "growing sense" that Elliott's gonna get suspend for a couple of games. Grab your McFadden shares now, I guess?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20039505

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Spoeank posted:

The first 5-10 minutes of Chris Harris' podcast today is the must he's huffed his farts of all time holy FUCKIN poo poo

man, I listened to the previous one (w/ Denny Carter) and wasn't quite so full of hate for Harris, but I just listened to this and the hate is back in full force

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

Cody Latimer pepper-sprayed after slapping a bouncer at a strip club in Dayton, Ohio because he was refused entry after failing to meet the dress code. Latimer was attending the strip club with his uncle (who was knocked out in the altercation).

There's a video.

I feel like there's a lot to unpack here.

cue Cecil Lammey telling us that this is the year Latimer breaks out (of jail)

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 16, 2017

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

RCarr posted:

You would HAVE to do an auction startup draft in order to do a salary cap league, correct? Would it be possible to do a startup snake draft and convert player values into salary($$) amounts? That's basically what I'm trying to figure out.

If we just do a regular draft with no salary cap, what's the best way to keep a great team from being dominant forever? Make it so you can only keep a player for X amount of years? That seems like it kind of just makes it a glorified keeper league, rather than a true dynasty league.

It seems like salary cap is absolutely the way to go for a dynasty league, but you can't really do that unless you do an auction draft. All my friends don't want to do an auction draft :(

In the SAS Dynasty League we have equal numbers of 1, 3 and 5 year contracts that we assign to drafted players. When contracts run out we have options for franchising them or they get dropped back into the FA pool for each season's FA draft.

e: thread lays it out better than I do https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825100&pagenumber=1

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 1, 2017

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm also concerned about the very real possibility that Washington's offense might fall apart. This is probably just me as a Redskins fan, but we can't have nice things and it wouldn't surprise me to see the whole thing collapse.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's worried about this.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

The receivers are a pretty huge question mark. I could easily see Pryor-Doctson-Crowder-Reed be one of the best groups in football, but could just easily see a season where every receiver is pedestrian and Reed isn't playing for a dozen games.

Yeah, it really could go either way with regard to the receiving corps. Plus it's totally unclear to me whether losing McVay as play-caller is a huge deal or if it's nothing. That first preseason game gave me no confidence that it's nothing.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

a key thing with IR slots is making sure everyone understands how they work- is a player eligible only if they're on the actual NFL IR? What if they're just out? If someone loses eligibility do they immediately get pushed back to your roster? Make sure you have all of that figured out and shared with the league beforehand.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

The piece of really great auction advice I've seen is to be aware that overpayment is most likely to occur when the number of bidders is high. It's a good reason not to start the bidding for studs at absurd steals: it encourages more people to get involved in bidding for that player. I like to start the bidding high enough that there's only room for one or two people to raise before the value seems fair. In eBay auctions, low starting prices often result in higher ultimate prices as people get invested in not losing the bid.

Anecdotally, I've found that players at the end of tiers tend to go for a lot as folks get afraid of missing out. I often try to get my guys before the tier runs out, or if the value isn't there, double up on the next tier down.

Also anecdotally, I've seen early QBs go petty cheap sometimes. People are so ingrained on waiting for QB, they get nervous dropping a good chunk for a QB as their first player.

I like the description of tier pricing as "u-shaped." Heard it described that way in a couple of places (Living the Stream, IIRC).

Basically the first guy and the last guy nominated from a given positional tier will have higher prices than the guys in the middle- people will bid up the first guy up (since he's opening up a new tier) and the last guy (so as to not lose out on that tier) but the second or third guys will probably go for slight discounts as everyone tells themselves "oh, I can grab so-and-so next in the same tier, I won't engage in a bidding war now."

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Hey guys, the ISO:FT beer league is looking for 2-4 more players to join us for season 4! The basic premise is that instead of traditional dues, every person pledges a box of a minimum $50 worth of local craft beer. At the end of the season, everyone ships their boxes to the winners. If you've never done beer trading or anything that's shouldn't be a problem, there is plenty of time before you'll actually need to ship and we can show you the ropes.

As far as league settings, it's pretty standard .5 PPR QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM or check out the thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830042

This sounds great. Posted over there.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yes. Bell has been sitting out for training camp, and history has shown that has a negative impact on their performance

Specifically, isn't there a higher risk of soft tissue/conditioning-related injury during the season?

The longer the holdout continues, the more interested I get in grabbing James Conner late in drafts.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

rip Kareem Hunt's job security

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

i'm v. v. pleased to be wrong.

Andy Reid is good and nice, he knows that one fumble isn't who Kareem really is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

Only real surprise in usage for the Pats rbs yesterday was White running between the tackles on passing down situations in a way that normally would have been Lewis' job. They may be trusting him as a runner more than they used to, and he did look up to the task. Not really fantasy relevant other than reinforcing that Dions value probably hinges on an injury to White but it's cool to see Whites game continue to evolve. Would have been easy for him to stay Theo Riddick.

I was thinking the same thing. I have the feeling that with a better game script, White could have a really nice night. As it was if that TD had counted he'd have been in the mid to high teens in PPR.

• Locked thread