Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I just joined a new Dynasty league and decided to punt/draft for youth for the first time and it was a blast.

Normally I try to draft BPA for dynasty startups and I've been ending up like the Bengals (in the playoffs and out quickly) so my draft positions have consistently been poo poo. You can obviously get hits at 1.08-1.12 (hello Michael Thomas!) but I really want a piece of the upper tier of RBs coming out next year, so this time all my players (save one or two) are aged 25 or under and I have 6 1st round picks in 2018 and 2 in 2019. I likely ended up "losing" some of the trades I made to get those 1sts but honestly this is one of the few teams I have where I have the players I want and I am happy, regardless of how this season ends up.

---

Now to you all I have to ask: I define "tanking" as not even bothering to put in the best lineup week by week (which I plan on at least putting in that much effort!), however I've been accused of tanking in this league because I valued some positions lower than I probably should have. Case in point: this is a superflex league and my QBs are Trubisky, Watson, Brissett, Boykin, Kaaya (limit 5). The rest of my team looks like:

12 team 1PPR 1.5TE w/KR+PR yards, QB/2RB/3WR/TE/SFlex/2DB/2DL/2LB
Trubisky, Watson, etc.
Zeke, Abdullah, bunch of dart throws
Cooks, Tyreek Hill, Fuller, Tyler Lockett, Stills, Tyler Boyd, bunch of dart throws
OJ Howard, Bucky Hodges, Jesse James
Byron Jones, Hargreaves III, Eli Apple
Leonard Williams, Shaq Lawson
Darron Lee, Reuben Foster, Jatavis Brown, other IDP dart throws
6* 2018 1sts, 2* 2019 1sts

I'm not going to post all the trades I did as this is getting long enough, but just looking at that roster, would you cry "tanking!"? I mean I went a little hard on the "build on youth" thing but I didn't think it was egregious. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Thanks for the advice all. I figure I'll be holding the 1sts until next offseason, let them build in value leading up to the 2018 draft and get rid of a few then. I'm hoping the 2018 class of QBs shows up so I can build some QB depth there, or if it doesn't pan out I'll try to trade for a QB midseason (say if Mariota or Luck get hurt again I'll try to buy low).

My WRs I was a bit stuck on... my 2nd pick was Hopkins who I flipped for 2 rookie 1sts and a couple startup picks, that was sort of the trade that started this madness. Not sure that was a wise trade but we'll see. I'm hoping Lockett and Hill give decent points considering it's a PR/KR league but I agree my depth right now isn't there for anything really. I'll be scouring the waivers this year in this league to try and pick up guys early, either for depth or to trade high for future picks or other dart throws.

I'm holding onto Zeke right now just because his value has taken a hit over him possibly getting punished by the NFL. I'm not sure I want to trade him though as he seems like he could be a solid cornerstone around which I can build this team. I know the thinking is I should build around young stud WRs as cornerstones but the only one I like there (youth-wise) is OBJ (I think the first half of last year was a peak for Evans, not a new normal) and his owner LOVES him and would ask for an arm and a leg.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

I tend to agree with the line of thinking that "if a player underperforms in his rookie year, that doesn't necessarily mean he's a JAG" but the Giants are a special case due to their limited use of RBs. If I can get Perkins after say round 7, I'd probably do it. I want him to be my second RB on my bench if possible. I do not want him to be my RB2 or RB3 if I can help it.

I actually just took a look and the Giants have a rough schedule this season... almost every opponent has a good to great offense or good to great (run) defense so I really don't think he has a great ceiling this year unless he goes off like Freeman. He's most likely a better dynasty prospect than redraft.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Latavius Murray / Dalvin Cook
Jeremy Hill / Gio Bernard / Joe Mixon
Rob Kelley / Samaje Perine
Carlos Hyde / Joe Williams
Paul Perkins / Wayne Gallman
Ty Montgomery / Jamal Williams or Aaron Jones
Mark Ingram or AP / Alvin Kamara
Ware / Hunt
Add Stewart / Christian McCaffrey
Add Miller / D'Onta Foreman
Add Doug Martin or Jacquizz Rodgers / Jeremy McNichols
Add Matt Forte or Bilal Powell / Elijah McGuire
Add Lynch or Washington or Richard / Elijah Hood
Add Bell / James Conner
Add Blount (maybe Mathews?) or Smallwood / Pumphery

"Will naturally be starter by Week 6" Tier
Cook > Murray
CMC > Stewart (maybe? depends on usage)

"Requires an injury to be starter" Tier (best -> worst order)
Bernard > Mixon > Hill
Kelley > Perine
Hyde > Williams
Ingram > Kamara
Ware > Hunt
Miller > Foreman
Martin >= Rodgers > McNichols
TyMont > Jones >= Williams
Blount > Smallwood > Pumphery
Bell >>> Conner

"No" tier
Perkins > Gallman
Forte/Powell > McGuire
Lynch > * (but really Lynch > Washington >= Richard > Hood)

Amergin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 12, 2017

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

My tight takes on tight ends

The season TE1-TE12 will be:
1. Gronk
2. Kelce
3. Doyle
4. Eifert
5. Ertz
6. Henry
7. Fleener
8. Graham
9. Rudolph
10. Howard
11. Reed
12. Witten

Other hot takes
Fournette will be the most productive rookie RB however in PPR he will be an RB2
Corey Davis, Zay Jones and Mike Williams will all be WR3s but will still be the most productive rookie WRs.
The Bengals offense will be a hot mess but Bernard will be a solid RB2 and will be healthy for the season.
Abdullah, Lynch and Gurley will be RB1s. AP will average ~50 yrds/gm at ~3.2 YPC and have < 8 TDs, ending up as a fringe RB2.
Torrey Smith will outproduce Jeffery.
Enunwa and Diggs will be WR2s, Landry will outperform both.
TY Hilton will get injured, Moncrief won't step up but Jack Doyle will.
Martavis Bryant will be an WR3 but have three weeks where he blows up. And he will be on your bench for two of those three weeks.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if Cook, Ebron or Bennett end up in there somewhere.

Maybe take Reed and Eifert out due to injuries and two out of those three in there. I'm not sure Cook is going to get used that much though, they have plenty of weapons on that offense.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

Delanie Walker should be in there unless there's something I don't know

I have a feeling with the additions of Decker and Davis and their shift to a run-based offense, Walker's usage will dip. Say going from 65/800/7 (188 in 1PPR) to 50/700/4 (144 total) which is about what Ebron got last year as TE14.

As a reference, 2016's top 12 TEs in 1PPR were:
1. Kelce 229
2. Rudolph 210
3. Olsen 209
4. Graham 192
5. Walker 188
6. Ertz 185
7. Bennett 171
8. Brate 170
9. Pitta 170
10. Reed 168
11. Witten 153
12. Gates 148

I think Olsen, Walker, Brate, Pitta and Gates drop out of this list by the end of this year. Bennett I'm on the fence on.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Tiptoes posted:

I don't agree that GB is a big downgrade for Bennett. He'll be the best TE Rodgers has had since Jermichael Finley and even though Jared Cook's full season numbers are bad, if you watched the playoffs and saw how much Rodgers leaned on Cook (18/229/2 in 3 games with two games over 10+ targets), I think you would be excited to see Bennett in GB.

The problem is GB TE use seems to split, so for this season you'll have Bennett and Richard Rodgers (maybe Lance Kendricks?) splitting looks without much consistency. And you still have TyMont, Jordy and Adams to fight with for receptions.

But you're right that he's the best TE that team has seen in a while, so maybe he can take the position and run with it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Tiptoes posted:

Eh Richard Rodgers was a complete nonfactor when Jared Cook was in the lineup. Averaged 2 targets and 15 yards a game. He's a serviceable blocking TE2 but I don't expect him to split looks.

Here are some stats (tgts/rec/yds/tds) for the top two GB TEs (by # targets) since 2012 according to PFR:
2016:
Jared Cook 51/30/377/1
Richard Rodgers 47/30/271/2

2015:
Richard Rodgers 85/58/510/8
Andrew Quarless 5/4/31/0

2014:
Andrew Quarless 46/29/323/3
Richard Rodgers 30/20/225/2

2013:
Andrew Quarless 53/32/312/2
Jermichael Finley 34/25/300/3

2012:
Jermichael Finley 87/61/667/2
DJ Williams 15/7/57/0

So they might go all in on Bennett or they might split with R. Rodgers. Meaning Bennett could have a ceiling of ~ 60/800/8 (so top 5-10 TE) but he could also end up 30/400/3ish.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

To try and make amends for continuing/enabling TE-chat, can I try and bring up a different stupid topic: Dynasty QB chat

Watson is going mid-1st round in 2QB rookie drafts, back end of 1st in superflex drafts. I drafted him in my superflex startup but I held my nose doing it and did it late. I just don't get the fantasy love for him... Am I missing something here? He's coming from one of the simplest college offenses with some huge crutches (Clemson defense, offensive weapons) to one of the more complex offenses, not a great O-line, not great weapons except Hopkins. I just don't see him succeeding there... not even talking short term, I don't see him being viable even in a year or two. He'll get injured and broken before he can become the next Wilson IMHO.

Then it's Mahomes and Kizer in the 2nd round who I can see being valued alright there, and Trubisky in the "oh gently caress I should probably take a QB" rounds (3/4), yet I personally could see Trubisky being worth a 2nd. And other guys like Beathard and Kaaya are undrafted but should be worth fliers depending on bench size I'd think.

I mean QB is tough because of longevity, and there are plenty of young guys out there now who are performing well, but there's also plenty of older QBs who will be gone in the next few years (Big Ben, Eli, Brady, possibly Rivers, Brees, Palmer). I was expecting QBs to be valued higher overall even with the weak class, but maybe it's because next year's class looks to be much better...? Or maybe people are holding onto their Jimmy Gs and Paxton Lynchs and hoping for the best?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Teemu Pokemon posted:

65-80 catches is like 650-950 yards and 6-9(+ with Rodgers??) scores when comparing Bennett's career numbers, and those Packers TE stats show that their TEs will see ~95 targets, and if they have a legit TE1, he can expect like 85% of that target share. What about Bennett's talent, quarterback, or complementary weapons, make you think he can't turn 75 targets (75% of 90 total TE targets) into 157 points (60 catches for 670 yards and 5 TDs, aka his average the last 5 years with 4 of those getting the ball from Eli and Cutler), which would've made him TE11 last year. Obviously matching Kelce's numbers is hyperbole unless the Packers actually really do use the TE (lol) but at whatever he's going, I'll take a TE10 floor over spending a top-60 pick on a TE 105 out of 100 times especially when Alex Smith is throwing one of them the ball capping his ceiling from locked and loaded TE1 to "just another good TE you will draft too high at the expense of the rest of your team" goddamn I thought we weren't talking about this

Oooor you can wait until like round 11 to pick up your TE and let all your fantasy dreams get Doyled again.

EDIT: Also I'm all in on Tyreek Hill (in dynasty... what's his redraft ADP?)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Just draft Cole Beasley IMHO.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

I have a feeling that Woodhead isn't going to last 5 weeks and Buck Allen will make a comeback.

Or...
Bobby Rainey?

Or...
Terrance West new RB1?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Booker out 6-8 weeks due to a wrist injury.

So I guess that RB set is now
CJ Anderson / Charles
De'Angelo Henderson
pit of despair?

I have a feeling Broncos will sign Rashad Jennings midseason.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

I hate every running back this year except David Johnson and LeVeon Bell and I guess Lesean McCoy?

What do other people think of the position this year?

I have no idea who to even touch, which backfields are radioactive, which rookies might be good. Why are people drafting Christian McCaffery? Like in the NFL, not just in Fantasy.

I just don't understand anything this year when it comes to RBs and I've got no confidence drafting them this year.

I like:
Abdullah
Ajayi
Gordon
Howard
Crowell
Murray

But I like them all like a half round to full round later than their current ADP.

Or you can just go ham on WRs and grab the likes of Quizz+Doug Martin, Gillislee, Dalvin Cook, Duke Johnson (PPR), Terrance West in the middle/later rounds and just use them + Waiver Wire Warriors for your RBs.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Lagarrette Blount in redraft though TOOT TOOT!

Is Blount the back to own though? I was thinking Smallwood might end up being the back to own since Blount's success outside of NE seems limited, he's old, and he seems locked into a short yardage power back role.

So yeah he'll give you some 1 or even 2 TD games but I'm thinking his per-game average will be like 14/30/0.5 or something.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

In a vacuum, pick three, rest of season (.5 ppr):

I like the top three myself. I don't trust Kamara's usage in that team with so many weapons and I don't trust Golladay. Duke and Davis could be neck-and-neck but I still think Davis wins out.

Question for you all:
in a 1PPR young-but-playoff-ready dynasty team, do you give Tarik Cohen to get Brandon Marshall? Pretty standard 2RB/2WR/2FLEX
I'm leaning "no" as I just traded for Howard, but I do have a bevy of good RBs (Gurley, Howard, CJA, Ingram+AP, Riddick and Sims) while I'm thin at WR (Thomas, Landry, Tyreek, Kupp, Rishard + Jordan Matthews).

I just don't know if I trust Marshall this year or for much longer.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Pain of Mind posted:

Who is a better grab for the rest of the year between Chris Carson and Javorious Allen? Leaning Carson but kind of scared of Rawls coming back and stealing carries.

PPR? Buck Allen
Non-PPR? Close... I'd still say Buck Allen because the Seahawks O-line is atrocious.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

4/pTD -2 int 1QB league, in the playoffs

Right now I have Alex Smith and Dak. Jimmy G and Derek Carr are both available and look to have decent week 14/15 matchups (Jimmy @Hous, vs. TEN and Carr @KC, vs. DAL). Would you drop either Smith or Dak to pick up Jimmy G or Carr?

Dak FWIW has @NYG and @OAK for weeks 14/15 but these offenses are just breaking down.

EDIT: I have no FAAB left so I could just throw claims out there just to see. Likely won't get them anyway.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Diqnol posted:

Raise your hand if you made finals

Made it in one league
Out of seven. :negative: Rough, rough year
(To be fair I made playoffs in 5/7 with one of the other two being a punt on a dynasty team)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

"Lesson from 2017: Draft Rookie RBs Early"

• Locked thread