Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gobias Ind. posted:

Don't get me wrong, AA has value and think he could be a solid mid-late round pick this year.

Just calling him an RB2 last year based on 6 quarters of play seems a little disingenuous.

I was going off memory. I could swear he played more. That's what I get for not checking before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

I like the faith Detroit showed in their RBs in the offseason. Invested in their offensive line in free agency but didn't bring any serious RB competition. Definitely puts me in the mind that Abdullah was ready to make a jump last year and Detroit knew it before his season was derailed by injury. They've left a lot of opportunity there for him.

I feel the same way, but I clearly remember seeing more than I did. The little I saw of him must have made a strong impression, because I thought he was bad his rookie year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Melvin Gordon! Though I wouldn't think you're dumb if you have Freeman or McCoy there, they're a reasonable tier for me. Then Howard, Ajayi, probably Demarco in the next tier.

Do you really have Melvin Gordon as your 4th RB? Wasn't he very touchdown dependent last season, with a low YPC?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'll have to investigate further. I only saw a little of him, but what I saw was meh. Certainly not enough to form a staunch opinion. Having said that, lol Melvin Gordon.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

:siren: BSOHL ALERT :siren:

Fat Rob.

Not a high bar when the only other shape you were was round.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It kind of is. It might not get there in a linear way, but historically speaking, his targets are more likely to go down than up in a vacuum.

The key point is this is not a vacuum and I don't think anyone has ever accused Teemu of being objective regarding drafting tight ends early.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

LF is 99% going #1. The owner of #1 is a scumbag who convinced someone he was going with MCaff with 1.1 so that they'd trade for his (formerly my) 1.3 so he could be lying but I would be ok with Davis or LF. He managed to get Evans for 1.3, White and Enuwa which was the real steal.

And yeah depending on what AP does it could be a very even trade but it's more likely he won't have a great year.

Sounds like dude plays fantasy football the way it is meant to be played. :D

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

He's walked back the offer (which to be fair he did say he wasn't 100% on and that it was just an idea) so I think he realized he was about to trade for Carlos Hyde and CJA and what a bad idea that was.

Yeah, it was an insta-mash trade before he realized what he was doing. You took too long.

Adams is not very efficient, but for fantasy, efficiency is not as important as opportunity.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Sure, but being actually good at football makes the guy more likely to keep getting opportunity.

I'm more saying his role is very clearly defined. He's just good enough to keep getting those opportunities. Gone are the days when Green Bay drafted a superstar receiver every mid round. He's the number two receiver for Rodgers, which makes up for his inefficiency. These are judgements that have to be made on a case by case basis. In this case, his opportunities make up for his issues.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think a lack of Brock will make Miller a guy who can outperform his ADP.

I need to see what Gurley does this preseason, but I think his performance last season is not entirely on him. Wasn't he getting blown up in the backfield all year?

I also think Cooper is a guy who could outperform his draft spot. He's entering his third season and it is way too early to say he has reached his ceiling. I think the expectations for him coming up have caused a weirdly inverse effect where because he didn't meet those lofty goals right away, his upside is now being undervalued.

Michael Thomas is rated way too high. It assumes Brees will not start to regress, which is not a given.

Doug Martin is way too high for a guy missing multiple games.

I am curious just how much that list changes during training camp, because I hate a lot of thuse projections after the first round.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Forever_Peace posted:

Ground Control was not particularly kind to Doug Martin, Gordon, and Gurley in 2016.

This is not in any way intended as a prediction (if they get volume and/or touchdowns they will be fantasy startable), but it does make me nervous at their ADP.

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't ground control show Gurley getting hit way earlier than everyone else?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I only referenced ground control, because I did not watch any Rams games. If I wanted to watch bad football, I had the Bears. I might have to go back. Can you get a 2016 game pass?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm going to try to not poo poo this thread up with don't draft Vikings but

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty high on Stefon Diggs.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I hope it's as a matchup-based WR3 in a 3WR+Flex league because that's all that offense can support through the air.

Bad line, bad offensive coaching staff until proven otherwise, bad quarterback. Murray is probably the only guy in that offense worth starting weekly and I wouldn't be surprised if that were based mainly on reps and lack of competition unless this is the year that noted SPARQ darling Jerrick McKinnon can be good enough at football that he can avoid being benched in favor of Matt fuckin Asiata

I didn't say I could justify the thought. But I'm not talking a guy with my first four picks. I think he's a guy who can slip to round six or seven and maybe be a high end WR2 by seasons end.

I just think he has a high floor/high ceiling for a mid round pick, because my gut thinks he's going to seriously outperform his ADP.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Matt Kalil and Andre Smith are Not Very Good and Phil Loadholdt is okay (but not really in pass protection because he has the footwork of Frankenstein's monster) so I doubt their health really makes that line any better :)

What might've made that line better would've been using a 1st round pick on a lineman instead of trading it for Sam fuckin Bradford

I think this post operates under the assumption that bad is as bad as it gets. Those guys were bad, but their back ups were like staring into the abyss and only being able to see your mother being sodomized by Chthulu.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If Travis Kelce scores 250+ points in full PPR* I will buy the next 10 people who tell me I'm an idiot an av cert

*at least, let's say, 12 games of Alex Smith, but if they actually get a QB that can throw a seam route for 4 games, that could totally gently caress this prediction but oh well, I'm willing to take that risk v:shobon:v

Idiot.

Daddy needs a new avatar No whammy. No whammy. poo poo, his QB is Alex Smith, a whammy made flesh.

I go back and forth on positional scarcity. It is a wonderful concept I'm theory, but it requires you to be correct about positions with the most volitility year to year.

The problem with having an overall draft strategy is that sticking to a plan in the middle of a draft where everyone around you is doing their own thing is dumb.

My strategy is take the guy who is going to get the most points relative to what is available at his position and the other positions I need to fill in my lineup. That is the only logical draft strategy. Everything else is just over thinking it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I still can't get one of my friend leagues to consider FAAB, because they feel it's too much work. It's insane, because once people try it, you can't go back.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Inspector_666 posted:

How the gently caress do people play any fantasy sport without waivers? You're massively tilting the league in favor of people who are constantly at a desk/on their phone checking transactions.

FAAB I can live without, but everybody dropping to FA immediately? Dumb.

Maybe you can live it out, but is it a life worth living?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think the more accurate picture would be Homer Simpson with a crayon in his brain.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Cecil Lammey: "I'm really big on CJ Anderson this year. This is his year."

Also Cecil Lammey:
https://twitter.com/CecilLammey/status/661049619405602816

CJ Anderson: Who's Cecil Lammey?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Might be a stupid question but does anyone know of a ranking list of all positions together INCLUDING IDP? I can find IDP rankings and offense rankings, but no clue how they compare, so no idea if say, Luke Keuchly is worth taking over Lesean McCoy, etc.

This is my first year doing a full keeper league and IDP (same league!) so I really don't want to gently caress it up.

Here's the IDP settings, I actually don't know if these are fairly normal or what? (Offense stats are all standard, 0 PPR).

The email draft (first time I'm doing that too, isn't this fun?) just started and I'm picking at 1.01, unexpectedly, so now I'm borderline flailing around. A 14 man, IDP-included keeper league is basically the league I've wanted to play in for YEARS, so I don't want to blow it now that I'm in the show.

Look over the free agents and figure out the overall top scorers from last year. Then figure out where the IDP players compare to the offensive players and value them that way. It's really the easiest way to effectively determine values.

IDP rankings vary significantly depending on scoring settings and there is tons of variance year to year, so it's important you do the legwork if you are going to maximize your value.

Looking at that, I think a guy like Khalil Mack should provide tremendous positional value. He's been elite and I'm not sure we've seen his best yet.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Pancakes by Mail posted:

This is hugely helpful, appreciate the tips. League is doing 2 each of DL, LB, DB and 1 LB/DB/DL flex position. Comparison example using the league's settings: last year Khalil Mack got roughly the same # of fantasy points as Melvin Gordon, so the IDPs can definitely contribute, but I'll probably start targeting them in the 3rd round or so depending on how things go. Trading picks is allowed, so I'm shopping around 1st overall and seeing what I can get for it without moving down too far. Thanks again fellas.

It's not just about points to, but percentages of points. Figure out weekly averages and tier that poo poo. You'll most likely find there is a ton of depth to be found at linebacker and receiver and plan around maximizing your value.

How do the keeper settings work? This will be crucial to figuring out a plan.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Really good point about positional scarcity re: IDP vs offense players. I'm trying to cobble a tier list together.
In the meantime I traded the guy picking at 14th (in a 14 man league) my first overall for his first, third and fifth rounder in this year's draft, the first draft of a keeper league, so one of us got robbed. Not sure exactly who yet but I feel good about it, best year to have lots of picks in a keeper's gotta be the first year, right?

Thanks again for the tips y'all

It really depends on your keeper rules.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The keeper rules do matter. How many keepers for you keep. What Is the cost of keepers? If it costs him an additional round to keep someone, thereby keeping him from keeping Zeke next year, trading down is nice. The fact is, we don't have enough information to really evaluate the trade.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It also is going to be hard to judge fully until we see who ends up on the board at 1.14

Honestly, I think there's plenty of value I would like at 14. I got Jordy at 14 in the first slow draft. My issue is in valuing picks for this year and future years. If you can keep Zeke forever, I would be very hard pressed to give up that first overall pick, even for the additional picks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It's more of a dynasty set up than keeper set up. Because of that, I think it's a good trade. He gets two extra picks of the first 60 players. That's significant.

Having said that, either go full dynasty or fix the keeper rules. Otherwise, you'll have some real long term issues.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Veritek83 posted:

I am definitely pushing my reasonable number of leagues, but I'd be down for a Goon Fish Bowl

Same

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Ya boy just got offered $150 to put 500 words on cbs digital's scout.com about the fantasy football prospects of the jacksonville jaguars

Gonna go hang out with prisco now

Bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort Marquise Lee bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort bort.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Some bad picks so far. Cooper is a no brainer pick in that spot. With your next two picks, don't convince yourself you have to go running back. Wide receivers have a longer shelf life and guys like TY Hilton, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson or Michael Thomas are all better value than most of the running backs that will be available.

I don't believe in Melvin Gordon. I think Ajayi, Fournette or Howard would be nice RBs in the second, but I would take all of the receivers listed above before them in a heartbeat.

If you're the same dude from before, I'd also consider Mack there over an RB, although I would hope he slips to the third. I suspect mist people are going to try filling their offensive slots first, so trying to get top tier IDP players in the fifth and beyond should be a viable strategy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think you guys are undervaluing Cooper a lot. He's a third year receiver who absolutely hasn't hit his ceiling. You are talking about a dynasty piece that you can have for the next ten years whose floor appears to be low end WR1/ high end WR2.

Moreover, you are dismissing the fact that because of his age and the fact that Nelson is consistently undervalued in normal drafts, there's a very good chance he'll be available in the second.

There are so many things going for Cooper in that offense, his age and even if he's not quite as good as Nelson is right now, the drop off is not so drastic that you are really hurting your short term value.

It's important to maximize your value per round. Drafting a player over 30 in the first is irresponsible because there are enough younger players who are top tier talents that you are sacrificing your future team needlessly.

It's not an either / or situation where you are sacrificing winning now by taking Cooper. You can easily win this year with him AND be competitive long term. The same is not true with Nelson.

Basically, Leperflesh is wrong! :colbert: I still respect your opinions on everything else

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Cervixalot posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should invest in young players with proven production in the early rounds with room to maintain/grow their value, and spend mid-late round capital on undervalued veterans while the rest of the league takes shots on low odds rookies/fliers.

This sums it up perfectly.

Also note, this is coming from a guy who thinks Jordy is 1st round value in standard leagues. I just don't draft him there because for some odd reason, most people don't have him rated that high.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

I just watched all his targets in the red zone, Cooper has a red zone problem. He keeps getting bodied up in the end zone and gets manhandled or pushed out of bounds

My Source:

My Notes:
New Orleans - 1st & goal from the 2 - sideline, couldn't get toes down

Atlanta - 2nd & goal - bad pass, bracketed coverage

San Diego - 3rd & goal - sideline, couldn't get toes down

San Diego - 1st & goal - sideline, couldn't get toes down

San Diego - 1st & goal - DPI

KC - catch for 11 yards, 1st down, couldn't shake open field tackle

Jax - 2nd & goal - uncatchable pass, bodied up by Cyprien

TB - 1st & goal - extremely good catch, bodied by Hargreaves

Den - 2 DPI I didn't bother watching

Den - 2nd & 10 - supposed to be catch & run, went nowhere

HOU - 1st & 10 - release valve for Carr, double covered, no chance to score

CAR - 1st & 10 - Carr double pumped, Cooper tackled on catch

CAR - 3rd & goal - couldnt shake end zone coverage

KC2 - DPI I didn't bother watching

SD2 - 2nd & 8 - dropped an easy one, this was just bad

Indy - 1st & goal - bodied up at the one

So what's the conclusion, Mr. CBS Fancypants? Overrated or underrated?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Exactly. This is what I'm taking huge issue with:

Amari Cooper has a couple 1000 yard seasons with 4-5 TDs. That's not at all remarkable to me and I've seen nothing - having watched almost all the Raiders games the last two years - nothing to suggest Cooper is on the verge of a breakout season. If you don't like Nelson, fine, but why would you take him over any of the several other young WRs with 1000 yard season potential on teams that hand a lot of TDs out to other targets?

I think Amari Cooper is a solid second round WR pick in any format. He's not going to be the next superstar WR.

This is fair, but then pick TY Hilton or Allen Robinson or whoever is in their mid twenties that you like better. I just happen to have Cooper higher than those two. Young mid twenties receivers are crucial to starting up a dynasty league if you care about your long term equity of assets.

You won't find a bigger Jordy fan than me. He ends up on half my rosters every year. But for a dynasty/keeper start up, first round is too early. The argument is about long term value and by picking Jordy here, you are giving up a ton. If he's available in the second, I draft him in a heartbeat.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, I also think youth is overrated in dynasty, but that's also an unpopular opinion so sure: go with Hilton I guess. I don't know as much about him and a-rob as I do about Cooper.

I actually agree with this. However, in the first couple rounds, you don't have to sacrifice much to have both. In dynasty, it's about both short term AND long term value. I think Jordy is as good as any receiver in football, but I don't know for how much longer. Hell, at 32, this might be the year where all of us who thought we were getting a steal in the 2nd round end up realizing we bought a year too late.

I would make a stock market diversified portfolio analogy here, but I just realized my stock portfolio is a combination of Powerball and scratch off lottery tickets. Perhaps I should not be giving any type of advice. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Papes posted:

People are way overreacting to an outlier rb season last year. I dunno how many leagues I'll do this year but I'll be going zero rb in all of them.

Are you going zero RB if you pick in the top three?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

check out my bold new strategy

draft good players

at good value

check mate zeroRBailures

My strategy is to draft good fantasy players. Which is way more optimal than just good players. :smug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Papes posted:

Why would you not do an auction draft in the year 2017?

But to answer your question, no. I would draft a top 3 rb and immediately try to trade them after the draft.

Who knows. Most of my leagues are auction. I was just making the point that a battle plan is only good until the first shots are fired! :black101:

Forever_Peace posted:

:hf: gimma all dem Kenny Britts and Bilal Powells.

Why yes I'll just go ahead and help myself to some Emmanuel Sanders thanks for asking.

I'll see you Bilal Powell and raise you Jonathan Stewart.

Wanna go old school? Give me your aging Joey Galloways. The last few years of his career, you could spend your last pick on him and get a WR2 who'd get all the garbage points.

Although to be fair to Sanders, he's not the bad football player affecting his numbers.

Forever_Peace posted:

True story Eddie Lacy is the single solitary player I have on literally every dynasty team.

Also of note. Forever Peace drafted all his dynasty teams from Golden Corral.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

They don't like my kind

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

To the Donald?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Just lol if multiple cbs fantasy guys dont follow you on Twitter :smug:

Look at Spoeank trying to get followers.

• Locked thread