Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In my dynasty league I've got a classic "BPA vs Need" decision I may have to make at 1.3 of the rookie draft. I have a very good group of WRs and a good QB, but my RB situation is atrocious since neither Jones nor Furgeson seem to be panning out. The same guy has 1.1 and 1.2 and he's all but announced he's going RB/RB, so one of Fournette/Mixon/McCaffery and Corey Davis will be available at my pick.

If it's Fournette I've got no problem passing over Davis, but if it's Mixon or McCaffrey it gives me heartburn. I just think that Davis is a substantially better player who will be better long term. The issue if if I pass up on him I'll be stuck in round 2 drafting whoever falls to 2.5. I could get lucky and get Perine or Foreman, but they could easily be taken (RB talent is concentrated in this league; at least 7 teams have a real need for an RB) and have no legit options left.

So my question is, with the team below (which isn't in 'win now' mode but I think should be competitive with a good RB) would you pass over Davis for either Mixon (forget about character issues) or McCaffrey? The league is .5 ppr, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), with a 19 player roster.

Team:
QB: Russell Wilson, Eli Manning
WR: Odell Beckham Jr, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Jamison Crowder, Josh Doctson, Devin Funchess, Tajae Sharpe, Kamar Aiken
TE: Tyler Eifert, Austin Hooper
RB: Carlos Hyde, Adrian Peterson, Paul Perkins, Terrance West, Bilal Powell, Matt Jones, Josh Furgeson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I had to argue long and hard in our dynasty to have the draft in late July (some wanted around now and a couple wanted pre-NFL draft) and also to make the drop date to get to the right number of players for the draft (with players dropped being draftable) not be the morning of the draft. There are crazies out there.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Is drafting Joe Williams with 2.1 insane? He's crawling up mock drafts and seems to be going in the mid-2nd now in a lot of places. I've got 2.1 and 3.8.

He's still a solid step behind Perine, Hunt and Kamara in my estimation but if the TEs stay on the board those guys could all be gone by 2.1. At that point the board will have some mixture of Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Chris Godwin, Foreman, Mack and Gallman. I don't really like any of those RBs (the position I'll need if I get to draft Davis in the first like it's looking) that much and I do like Williams. Do I just say gently caress it to draft position and take him?

The ideal situation would be a trade back and then still getting him, but mocks are all over the place and I don't know what the "safe" level to trade back to is. I don't even know if there is one. Somebody else might have Joe fever like me.

edit: I've got Hyde also if that changes anything. A week ago I was planning on trading up to 3.1 and (over)drafting him there but now everybody is onto it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah Kamara is on everyone's radar. If Ingram gets traded he'll shoot up a little bit but he's late 1st early 2nd already. Williams was a guy people were getting in the mid to late 3rd a couple weeks ago which was very good value but now that's getting corrected and he's going about where he should (mid 2nd, after Hunt/Kamara/Perine, around the same as Foreman.)

If you don't want to take Davis with the 1.1 then you can pretty safely trade back as far as 1.4 and get a top tier guy. Any further and there's a drop off though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I think that while in general Davis is the 1.1 there are a lot of situations where it makes more sense to take Fournette there. I wouldn't fault anyone for doing it. I think MCaff or Mixon are bigger risks so I wouldn't take either over Davis unless the roster situation (or league scoring) were really extreme but LF is different to me.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sataere posted:

Mitch Trubisky is going to be the greatest quarterback in Bears history.

Yeah that's what benne said

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm joining my first salary cap league and I can find quite a bit of advice on them in general but there's one wrinkle in the (for now proposed) rules that is throwing a wrench in my planning for the start up auction. They're talking about going by total contract value instead of just regular bidding. So for example, if I bid $10 for 2 years on a guy and someone else offered $6 for 4 years they would win.

I don't really like this, but if that's how it goes down are there any articles/podcasts/etc that deal with specifically that set up? I don't know if I'm just googling the wrong thing but I can't find anything. My gut feeling is that to get anybody good you're going to have to throw four year contracts at them, and the idea of throwing a four year contract at a RB (besides one or two top top tier guys) sounds awful. I'll probably have to resign myself to not getting any big names for the first couple years and hopefully being able to trade people who made stupid contracts in the next couple years. A long time to wait though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In Dynasty I was able to trade AP + 1.3 for 1.2 + 3.2. I think I won the gently caress out of that trade. Corey Davis get over here.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

RVProfootballer posted:

Fournette went 1? You might've been able to get slightly more for AP from a believer and I don't think you murdered the other owner, but I would have done this too.

LF is 99% going #1. The owner of #1 is a scumbag who convinced someone he was going with MCaff with 1.1 so that they'd trade for his (formerly my) 1.3 so he could be lying but I would be ok with Davis or LF. He managed to get Evans for 1.3, White and Enuwa which was the real steal.

And yeah depending on what AP does it could be a very even trade but it's more likely he won't have a great year.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sataere posted:

Sounds like dude plays fantasy football the way it is meant to be played. :D

Yeah it's 100% on the guy who believed him but he's going to run out of trade partners real quick.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I need a sanity check here. I just got an offer (dynasty, 2 RB 2 WR 3 Flex) of Davante Adams plus Gore plus 2.5 for Hyde and CJA. This would leave me with the following RBs: Gore, Perkins, Powell, Burkhead, West, Sproles. My WRs though would be: OBJ, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Adams, Crowder, Funchess, Aiken, Sharpe.

I feel like the value is definitely there for the trade, but the situation it leaves me in isn't good. I've always heard to draft value and trade for need, does that rule this out even though I really like the value?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, Hyde is more the piece I'm sad about losing than CJA, but he's the piece that the other owner wants too so I doubt the trade goes down without him involved.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
He's walked back the offer (which to be fair he did say he wasn't 100% on and that it was just an idea) so I think he realized he was about to trade for Carlos Hyde and CJA and what a bad idea that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Only had one guy I wanted to cut in dynasty but had enough picks in the first three rounds (1.2, 2.1, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7) that I would have to cut two. Someone put Willie Snead on the block because they don't understand what rebuilding actually is and I offered 3.7/3.2, thinking he'd laugh the offer off. He countered 3.1/3.2. I would've snap accepted but I was a little busy at work so I waited 5 minutes and he threw in 5.1. I told him I didn't want to stay awake past the third round and offered to swap my 2.1 for 1.12 instead (we are probably both targeting RBs there. To my disbelief he accepted. So I gave 2.1, 3.1 and 3.2 to get Willie Snead and 1.12. All damned day.

• Locked thread