Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last one for tonight: it's our lord and master, Beer4TheBeerGod and his team, Oh God What Happened To my Eye. He currently sits at fourth place in the league, 26 points behind his wife.

Leperflesh posted:

Oh God What Happened To my Eye?/Beer4TheBeerGod

QBs: B+
Brees is always great, right? Well, he's getting old, but hasn't shown any sign of falling off a cliff yet, and he still has weapons. Stafford is a great second QB choice, he's still in his prime and has shown that even without Megatron he can turn in good weeks. Together they're a reasonable QB roster... but I would have liked to see a third man here, as a safety net. Even a guy like an Alex Smith, not guaranteed to finish the season, would provide a floor that is probably there at least for bye weeks 5 and 7.

A-
Yup. Two of Stafford's contributed games have been for 17 points, which is respectable and has been Beer's floor at the position so far. Neither of these guys are in Tom Brady/Carson Wentz sort of territory, but together they're making for a nice combo. I'd still like to see a third QB, perhaps instead of the seventh WR pick, but QB is the team's strongest point so it's hard to knock it much.

quote:

RBs: B+
Carols Hyde is still fantastic. The niners are still rebuilding, but I like him on a Kyle Shanahabanana offense even better than last year. Mark Ingram is still the man in New Orleans: ok maybe AP takes some of his work, but maybe not. No-Longer-Quite-As-Fat Lacy in Seattle is another reasonable choice... he'll play. And C.J. Anderson should "regress upwards" in Denver, assuming he stays healthy. So there's a core of decently good players here all of whom at least have the opportunity to shine, although none of them are guarantees. Backing them up is C-mike, who is now a Colt, and Terrance West, probably still getting a solid share of the Ravens' runs. I'm OK with them too, as fifth ans sixth picks, and I'm OK with going six deep given the lack of a sure thing 100% can't lose RB on the roster. I'll knock the crew down a tiny bit due to two bye week overlaps, the most important in week 5 when both CJ and Ingram are off, while Hyde's 49ers play the Colts and Lacy's Seahawks play the the Rams; reasonable matchups for both men, so it should be OK. But mostly I'm not totally in love with these RBs due to the minor question marks among even the top four guys.

B-
I over-rated Fat Lacy and CJ, and West's share has been small. C-Mike died before the start of the season, which is unfortunate, but he was not going to be a critical piece anyway. meanwhile, Ingram and Hyde are both having fine years, albeit not world-destroying; so the top three guys here are sustaining a decent season at RB.

But there are cracks. CJ's 4 points in week 3 wound up being part of the starting roster, and Carlos Hyde's usage may be threatened by Breida getting increasing work and the overall suckitude of the niners. The Broncos also suck rear end this year, and CJ's numbers since the bye have been middling to garbage. He hasn't scored a touchdown since week 2, either. Basically those minor question marks I mentioned have turned out to matter, so while this team can continue to count on decent points from three good running backs, it has little to no depth behind them and is at significant risk if any of them get hurt.

quote:

WRs: A-
Amari Cooper, Demaryius Thomas, and Mike Evans all on the same team? Holy moly. I love it. And those three guys don't share bye weeks, so this is a WR crew that can dominate just from its top three guys. Backing them up are some good options with Quincy Enunwa and Devin Funchess, although they both share the week 11 bye with Evans. I'm knocking this crew though with the in my opinion completely unnecessary seventh WR with John Ross, a rookie Bengal. OK, he's a first round pick, yes. But he's also coming off shoulder surgery, and it's not like he's going to eclipse AJ Green or Brandon LaFell in his rookie year. On a normal fantasy team, I'd like him as a stash: in dynasty I'd love him. But set against the superstar top three, I actually have to knock down this grade slightly for the pick. This guy should have been a third QB or D/ST.

B+
Knocking this crew a bit because what I forgot about was that the Broncos don't have a quarterback worth poo poo. Also Amari Cooper had a terrible start to the season, but he seems to be back, maybe, unless that whole game against the Chiefs was just a fluke. Which maybe it was, because the man still has a severe case of the dropsies, even in that game. We'll see. Plus Mike Evans is not dominating the top of the WR chart like he was supposed to. OK you know what? This world-destroying three-man wrecking crew is actually severely underwhelming this year, gently caress! But I have a hard time blaming Beer too much for not knowing this would be the case: definitely downgrading DT due to the QB situation was in order, but Coop and Evans have no such excuses.

Meanwhile, the poo poo I said about the other guys stands. Funchess has outscored DT and is a good fine pick, plus with Kelvin Benjamin gone, he may get a small uptick in targets in Carolina. Quincy Enunwa might have been good if he hadn't died, but he died before the start of the season. Kenny Britt got hurt and missed two games, but has only really shown up in one game against the colts this year and basically he sucks and is at best an end-of-the-bench guy you hope to contribute once or twice a year (and he's done that for two weeks, actually).

John Ross hurt his knee early in the season, and is just now coming back; he got zero catches on one target last week. Will he wind up being helpful near the playoffs? Who knows. I can't really judge whether I was right or wrong about him in my first analysis, yet. This goes to what I was saying earlier, though: this could have been a QB3, or a third D/ST, or a seventh RB, but I'm not entirely sure right now which of those would have been the best use. The jury is still out.

quote:

TEs: B
Kyle Rudolph is a fine pick. Jesse James is a fine backup guy to take. Except, woops, same bye week! So I guess Gerald Everett exists to fill in week 9; the Rams play the Giants that week. But Everett is a rookie, a Ram, and did I mention he's a rookie? I can't credit this pick as being worthwhile, not even in round 17. C.J. Fiedorowicz and Charles Clay were both still available, among others.

B-
C.J Fiedorowicz died, so that would have been a big mistake, huh? And Charles Clay (on Risquebarber's team) has 46 points on the season and is hurt, so.. yeah, he'd have been a better choice than Gerald Everett, but not by a vast difference. Still, Kyle Rudolph has played every game with no byes or injuries and has only put up 57 fantasy points at his position; he's just not the kind of TE1 you want in this format. His two best games are 13 points against the Bears and 11 against the Browns; the Vikings do not face either again this season. Meanwhile, 19 of Jesse James' points came in week 1; since then, he's been an underwhelming option, despite starting for Beer four more times.

I've mentioned it before for other teams, but: in this format, taking two good tight ends isn't a waste, because they'll score in your FLEX on their good games and not cost you much on their bad games. This team has one OK TE and two not very good ones. Beer should have invested a higher pick for his first TE, maybe.

quote:

D/STs: C
The rams and the chargers? Two middle of the pack defenses that have not recently stood out, and the Rams D/ST has the added problem of maybe being on the field more than they should unless the new coaches can create substantial improvement on the Rams' O. With a third middle-of-the-pack D/ST, this would be an alright crew worthy of a B grade: with a really good D/ST, it could have earned an A. But this is a low-effort afterthought couple of picks, and they're not going to contribute to a run at a win for the season.

B+
I was wrong, significantly. The Rams have been great! 129 on the season is a very nice showing, and the Chargers' 114 supplies a highly useable alternative option for the best ball format to grab.

Even so, the floor here has been 9 points from the Chargers in week 3, when the Rams put up just 8; and Beer had to settle for 10-point contributions in weeks 2 and 4, and 11 in week 8. A third D/ST would likely contribute points a few times over the year, maybe improve some of those down-week results.

quote:

OVERALL GRADE: B+
I feel like this team was nearly great. It's got a crazy-good core of WRs and a star QB, plus a decent selection of other good players. But I think Beer overly discounted D/STs, miscalculated with Gerald Everett and John Ross, and is missing important insurance at QB, D/ST, and maybe TE. A solid top-six team that needs to dodge any bad luck at two or three positions to contend for the championship.

B
I think my analysis here was pretty good. The WR core turned out to just be good, not crazy-good, and the QBs turned out to both be very good; but the rest of my comments stand up. Beer is not likely to climb higher than third place, though, unless the top two teams suffer injuries at key positions. John Ross could explode onto the scene and be the savior of this team, but that's a super long shot. Otherwise, I see no real potential for a breakout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, so, another weeks' results are in. But, I wanted to be comparing all the teams on the same basis, so I took the screenshots of each team all at once and I'm going to try to focus on where the remaining three teams were at before this weekend.

Next up is Coronaball and his team Mitchell Tribooooooo, currently in second place overall!

Leperflesh posted:

Mitchell Trbibooooo.../Coronaball

QBs: B-
Big Ben is a solid, reliable QB1 pick, and Andy Dalton is a great pick for #2. Where my eyebrows are raising painfully is the DeShone Kizer selection. He's officially behind Cody Kessler, and ahead of Brock Lobstweiler, but it's June. Who the gently caress knows? As a safe backup he's obviously totally inappropriate, so I have to view him instead as an upside gamble. But... really, what's the big upside? Suppose he wins the starting job by week 1. Now what? It's still the cleveland browns! This team needs a lot of work, it's not just a winning team waiting for the right rookie quarterback to drive it to the playoffs. With a guaranteed-starting backup behind Roethlisberger and Dalton, I'd give it an A. With a low-upside gamble, it's a B-.

B
Yup. Dalton came out sucking to start the season, and Roethlisberger has not been setting the world on fire either, but between the two of them you have a solid if not especially exciting QB crew. Dalton did score a big game in week 4, but otherwise Coronaball has been getting a pretty consistent 12 to 18 points most weeks. Way better than nothing, but the big games that propel you to a championship are lacking.

Kizer actually put up a contributing 19 points in week 1, and his 27 points week 3 against the Colts were great too, but he's seen the bench and may find it again, with three games of five points or fewer. Still, as long as both Dalton and Big Ben are healthy, that's kind of OK. It's not quite as low-upside as I thought, so I'm upgrading this position to a solid B.

quote:

RBs: C+
I'll say right off the bat, a lot of folks think Melvin Gordon is undervalued, and I agree. He's a star RB and I expect more big scores out of him again this year. So he's a great anchor to an RB crew. LeGarrette Blount is another solid choice; we haven't seen exactly how he'll be used in Philly, but he'll surely get used. And finally, Ty Montgomery is a big deal guy, if he's rated as both a WR and RB again this year. Otherwise, he's maybe the lead back in probably a committee in Green Bay, which still holds value, but not as much. Unfortunately, this is the point that this seven-man RB crew falls off a goddamn cliff. Rex Burkhead and Jaquizz Rodgers are at best RB3s in a committee, and at worst, glued to the bench for significant portions of the season. And Marlon Mack and Christian McCaffrey are rookies, albeit very different ones. McCaffrey at least has a shot at a lead role, although the Panthers are very unlikely to turn him into a bellcow his rookie year; the best you can say for Mack is that he's probably going to make the team. Put it all together and what we have here is two really solid guys, one decent dude, and too many gambles, question marks, and fourth stringers. Gordon and Burkhead share a bye week, as do Rodgers/McCaffrey/Mack, but since Mack and Rodgers may be bench warmers, I can discount the week 11 issue.

A-
Well, Coronaball and I were right about Melvin Gordon; he's leading this team in points with 131, and that includes two fantastic games of 30 points each. Then again, he's also had two non-starting low weeks of 2.5 and 3.5 points, so the floor is really really low. Blount is getting used in Philly, although the acquisition of Jay Ajayi this week is troubling for his rest-of-season prospects (he earned just three fantasy points in week 9). And, Ty has been on and off, starting the season strong with 16 and 25 points in weeks 1 and 2, but injured week 5 and failing to break 5 points since week 4 as the rookie James has apparently eaten his lunch ticket. I think I was also pretty much right with Jacquizz, too.

But Coronaball gets a big upgrade because CMcC has turned out to be a critical passing-down piece of the Carolina offense, breaking into double-digit points in three (now four, including week 9) matches and providing a floor of 6 points. He has started five (now six) times and rates to continue to contribute RB2 points for the rest of the season. While the Jacquizz pick yielded just a single start in week 2 (for 12 points) and will probably give nothing more this season unless Doug Martin gets hurt... Rex Burkhead has been hurt and missed four games, but could be situationally useful with two 10+ point games this season. And Marlon Mack has also been hurt missing two games, but has contributed three starts with surprising scores of 8, 12.5, and 26 points, as the Colts seem to be working him into drives on a regular basis.

So yeah, between Gordon, CMcC, Blount, and T-Mont, there's a core set of RBs that are keeping this team afloat. And Burkhead and Mack are both capable of contributing occasional good scores. Not bad!

quote:

WRs: B+
I don't hate these guys. Hill, Crowder, and Hopkins are all excellent receivers who are only held back by their situations - specifically, their quarterbacks. I think on balance, Crowder is the most reliable among them, and then Hill, while Nuk may or may not have a passer who can get the ball into his vicinity. I'm OK with the questions there, because there's three other good to middling choices on this roster; Taylor Gabriel has a role, albeit not a leading one, in Atlanta. Similarly, Marvin Jones I think is secure in the #2 role in Detroit. Paul Richardson is the outsider - I think he makes the team, but he's not guaranteed a significant role. Taken together I think this is a solid WR set, with no wasted picks. Maybe add Ty Montgomery to the list. My first real criticism then is that I don't see any of them as superstars - there's no Antonio Brown/Julio Jones/Mark Evans kind of guy who is likely to throw up several huge games a year. And secondly, there's two shared bye weeks - week 5 and 7 - that add a little risk.

A
Well, I liked all these guys, and I shouldn't have: Taylor Gabriel is getting consistent targets in several games, but he's only getting short yardage plays with few yards and only one touchdown on the season. He's a low point for the team. Jamison Crowder has also had a few games with decent points (8 points in week 3, and 17.5 last week against the Cowboys in which he drew 13 targets) but has only been a starter twice, including a nasty 3-point contribution week 7.
On the other hand, the rest of these guys have been good to superb. DeAndre Hopkins' value drops with the quarterback change in Houston, but he still put up 17 points this week on 6 catches for 86 yards and a touchdown, so he's clearly still a valuable player. Tyreek HIll has has three big games (now four, with a touchdown in week 9) but rates to get plenty of work rest-of-season with Kansas City using him in both rushing and passing plays. He has some sweet matchups coming up after the week 10 bye, too. And Marvin Jones is getting plenty of attention from Matt Stafford in a nicely running Detroit offense, especially since week 6. He had three touchdowns going into the week 7 bye, and got two more tonight. Finally, Paul Richardson has been surprisingly useful, as Seattle has shifted to a pass-first offense due to their terrible situation at RB: he has five touchdowns on the season and that includes a bye week. He's started every week (except this week, he's a NS for week 9) and looks to continue to be a useful contributor.

All told this is a great WR crew. substantially responsible for putting this team into second place.

quote:

TEs: C+
Eric Ebron is not a great leading TE. He's OK, but I don't think his role is such that he turns in big games much during the season. The backups here are the big problem, though. Jared Cook is possibly fine, since he tends to have two big games each year, but the rest of the time he is a garbage man and I think the Raiders might not put up with that. And OJ Howard is a bigger gamble: he's a first round TE pick, and expected to both block and catch, but cameron brate could definitely keep his starting role and in any case as previously discussed, rookie TEs rarely do much in fantasy. Overall my problem here is spending three picks at TE but not winding up with reliable points at the position.

B+
Ebron is indeed not great as a leading TE. He has one touchdown on the season, contributing 12.5 points in week 2, and has otherwise been useless. However, Jared Cook despite retaining his career-long case of butterfingers is getting so much usage in Oakland that he's become a valuable and useful fantasy piece. He has started every week this year except week 2 for Coronaball, and with a standout 126 yards on eight catches this week in Miami there's no sign that's going to change. Even O.J. Howard was not a totally wasted pick: Cameron Brate is indeed still The Man in Tampa Bay, but the Bucs have been running out 2- and even 3-TE sets, and Howard has three touchdowns including two in week 7 and one against the giants week 4, two weeks in which he made starts for Coronaball.

There is no huge TE1 on this team in the realm of Ertz, Kelce, Engram, or Gronk; but there's two respectable guys and a third occasional contributor, and that's pretty good.

quote:

D/STs: D+
The broncos are great. But where's the second D/ST? This is a guaranteed goosegg week 5, and no D/ST consistently performs, period. Not even the vaunted Broncos. Given how good Denver is, a second pick of even a middling D/ST would have pushed this from a D to a B+ or A- kind of grade, but without it, it's just a real big problem.

D.
Yeah all of the above is still totally correct. The Broncos have been putting up very good numbers, but zero on their bye week 5 and a low of 8 points week 3. A second D/ST instead of Jacquizz or Taylor Gabriel would have greatly uprated the team at this position and could be the one weakness that keeps this team out of first place.

OVERALL GRADE: B-
Roethlisburger, Melvin Gordon, and three good WRs aren't enough to put a fantasy team into contention. They're good, and there's some quality backups particularly at WR, but there are too many poor picks on this team for it to really shine. DeShone Kizer and Marlon Mack are just errors, OJ Howard and Paul Richardson are gambles unlikely to pay off, there are a few too many bye week duplicates, and D/ST is a serious problem. This team is pretty much a textbook "will finish in the middle of the pack" roster, with very little chance at a top three finish, albeit no disastrous choices that should plunge it to the bottom either.
[/quote]

A-
I underestimated the RB, WR, and TE crews on this team. This is a championship contender, with only significant weakness at D/ST and a minor weakness of a lack of a clear superstar at QB. Marlon Mack was not an error, DeShone Kizer may work out to have not been a completely wasted pick, both OJ Howard and Paul Richardson worked out as gambles, and the team has squeezed through the weeks 5, 7, and 9 byes without too much damage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here we have Vietcampo's Vietcongos, who are now in 8th place.

Leperflesh posted:

Vietcongos/Vietcampo

QBs: B
Kirk Cousins is fine as a QB1 pick; maybe not the absolute top tier, but he's doing very well, and barring a sudden change in contract negotiations, in a prove-it year. As a backup QB, Tyrod Taylor is just OK; he has upside, perhaps, but is unlikely to suddenly shine bright. The lack of a third QB is a minor problem, though; week 5, Vietcampo is stuck with Taylor vs. the Bengals, and week 6, Cousins vs. the 49ers... so that's one not great matchup and one great matchup, probably. I'd still have liked to see either a better QB2, or a third guy, or both.

B
Cousins put up 29 against the niners, while Taylor put up just 10 against the Bengals. I think they're both performing approximately as expected: Taylor has contributed on four weeks, with a low of that 10 point match, while Cousins has contributed five times, with a floor of 11 points against the rams week 2. Cousins has also provided three weeks of over 25 points, while Taylor has done so once. All told their a fine couple of QBs to own in this format, but as I said before, a third QB would be nice to have.

quote:

RBs: C
Shady is a great anchor for an RB corps, but the rest of this crew ranges from an OK guy in a RBBC (James White) to a high-upside gamble (Marshawn Lynch) to a bunch of low-upside gambles (all the rest). Williams can be seen as a McCoy handcuff, I guess. Woodhead is a career backup who will presumably do the same with the Ravens, or maybe earn a regular rotational spot... so another RBBC. And Donnell Pumphrey is a rookie who will likely make the team, but could wind up doing nothing but special teams. All told I'm really worried about this roster; at best, it's two regular performers and two acceptable but lower-usage backups. At worst, it's one solid guy and a lot of bad weeks.

D?
Here's another RB crew so beat up I struggle to evaluate it. Pumphrey and Woodhead have both spent their seasons on IR: maybe one or both would have been useful? On the other hand, Jonathan Williams did not make the final roster for Buffalo, James White is a Patriot RB so his season floor has been 2.5 even while he's put up three 10+ point games, and even discounting his recent suspension Marshawn Lynch leads a competent three-man RB crew which limits his opportunities. He has three 10+ point games on the season, and that's including this week's stomping of Miami in which he scored two touchdowns.

Because of these huge gaps on the roster, even Lynch's 0.0 points vs the Chiefs week 7 had to count as a starter. So did his 1.0 points at the broncos week 4, and his 1.5 at the redskins week 3. Yikes.

The one bright spot is of course Shady McCoy, who has had a bad game this week but otherwise has piled up some nice points, including five 10+ point games (two of those were for 26 points each). His rest-of-season matchups are mostly favorable, too.

So, this probably was a C crew of RBs at the draft, which falls to a D due to injury, and a terrible choice with Jonathan Williams.

quote:

There's a lot of solid picks here. I like Adams, Pryor, Thomas, and Fitz as veteran high-performers who should perform highly again this year. Mike Wallace and Marquise Lee also have opportunities, which make them good WR4-5 picks. I'm not too sure about the Zay Jones pick, but only because I don't know him; he's a rookie 2nd round pick in Buffalo, so he has opportunity, but is unlikely to be a superstar rookie; if Watkins' foot doesn't get better, he could be a huge bargain pick though, so that's cool. What knocks this crew down is the lack of a clear superstar top-five kind of guy, added to some problems with bye weeks. Week 8 in particular is a gamble, and there are two guys out week 5 as well. Still, this is a satisfying set of WRs with no weak spots.

B+
Every wide receiver on this roster is healthy and contributing, and that's a net positive for the team. Larry Fitzgerald is the high scorer, although that may change under a Drew Stanton captainship; Davante Adams also has a bad QB now, which seems to be limiting his value too. Before this weekend I'd have called Zay Jones a bust, but he got his first touchdown (and a minor knee injury) this weekend so maybe he'll wind up contributing. Michael Thomas was an excellent pick: he doesn't have the most spectacular YTD points, but he's getting volume: at least 6 targets, and usually 8 or more, every single week. His upside has been limited by only having two touchdowns on the season, but with 10+ points in all but two weeks, he's a great guy to own. And Marquise Lee also has been a good value, as a 15th round pick providing a steady stream of startable points, including (through week 9) three scores of 10+.

Terrelle Pryor has disappointed, though. He had one touchdown week 4, but has otherwise put up a lot of dud weeks, usually scoring two to four points. Not great, given his draft position (first in the fourth round). And Mike Wallace's two or three good games are balanced by one bad and four terrible ones, plus a missed game from injury in week 8.

So I like my original assessment, even if I was not spot on for every player. It's a decent crew, with three solid performers, some useful backups, one or two slight misses, one big miss with Zay Jones, and no 100+ point star anchoring the team that would push this up to an A, especially given seven roster spots were spent here.

quote:

Eifert and Fleener are perfectly fine guys to own at tight end. They both have solid records, remain in good situations, and have few question marks. Highly questionable is the pick of Jake Butt as a third guy, though: amusing name aside, he's very unlikely to matter, and he shares a bye week with Fleener to boot. I'm OK with taking a third TE, and even OK with a flyer, but Butt is coming off of surgery and not even guaranteed to make the team. Virgil Green isn't even owned, and no surprise given his performance in recent years, so why would you want the guy three spots behind him on the roster chart? Grab a third QB or a D/ST not on week 10 bye instead.

D
Ooops. Eifert got hurt and played only weeks 1 and 2, not looking particularly useful as Andy Dalton shat his pants to start the season, before going out on IR. Jake Butt will not play this season. And Coby Fleener has bizarrely been super frustrating: after a promising start with touchdowns weeks 1 and 2, he has yet to two 2 catches in a game. I don't know what the gently caress happened in New Orleans, he's just... not getting targeted. Maybe he kicked Drew Brees' dog or something.

At any rate, Fleener turned out to be a bad pick, there's no way around that, even if I had no idea he would be: and the terribleness of picking Butt as the third TE is highlighted by the fact that this team desperately needed a startable third TE to slot in, just in case one of the other guys got hurt, which happened. TEs are an often-injured position, it's just the nature of the job, and that's why you roster three useful ones.

quote:

Neither the Eagles nor the Ravens have an overwhelming D/ST, and they share a week 10 bye. If you're just taking middle-road fill-in D/STs, doubling up on the bye is a serious mistake. Even without that, there's not much of a chance of more than two or three big games all year from these two, although at least you're unlikely to get negative scores much.

A-
I was wrong. The Eagles have been great, and the Ravens are second-best in the league, behind only the eagles after week 9, and only just barely. Taking two week 10 D/STs with no third was still a mistake, enough to knock this down to an A-, but otherwise this was a crazy-good couple of D/ST picks, taken in the 17th and 18th rounds of a 20-round draft, so not especially over-drafted either.

quote:

OVERALL GRADE: B-
An underwhelming team destined to finish in the middle of the pack. There are some strong players at WR and QB, and the TE position is reasonably covered, but weaknesses at RB and D/ST are problems. I feel like with the exception of Pumphrey and Butt, this was more of a "take safe guys" kind of team; I'd rather see two or three high-upside gambles instead of low-upside joke picks.

B-
A big upgrade in my assessment of the D/STs, but downgrades at a couple of other positions, reinforces my judgement that this team was destined for an underwhelming finish somewhere in the middle. It needed one or two big stars, one or two high-upside gambles that would pay off, maybe some better luck on injuries, and definitely a really good solid RB2 behind Shady.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last one: Varg's Zeke's Freekz, sitting in ninth place after week 9:

Leperflesh posted:

Zeke's Freeks/Varg

QBs: A-
Manning and Rivers are solid if not amazing choices at QB; both are likely to have a few bad games, but both are capable of a few big games too. Siemian is exactly the kind of guy I like to see as a third QB option: he's the favorite in Denver, albeit a gamble, because he could lose his job to Paxton Lynch potentially, but if he does keep that job, he's surrounded by talent and great coaches who could have him playing big games by the end of the season. And if he isn't the guy, well, Manning and Rivers by themselves are a reasonably safe floor.

B-
All of the above wound up being basically true, except that maybe Manning sucks now, and Rivers isn't having his best year either, and Siemian has lost his job. Still, with three QBs breaking 100 points by week 8, Varg has been getting a decent weekly floor almost every week, and there's been an upside for a few big games. Manning got 27 in week 4 at the Bucs, and 26 the week before at the Eagles. Rivers has two 20+ point games, and nothing less than 9; his two contributed starts have been for 22 and 15 points. And Siemian had four starts for Zeke's Freekz, including two above 20 points.

What Varg doesn't have is a top star QB, and with Siemien out, he's losing his backup. The outlook rest-of-season is not great for Manning, either, with all his best targets dead. I think what you want in QBs is a top star kind of guy, a good solid QB2 who can provide multiple starts with good games, and then a third guy who is either a low-floor fill-in for your byes and/or disasters befalling your good guys, OR, a high-upside lottery ticket. Rivers isn't that first guy, Manning sort of is the second, and Siemian isn't the third any more.

quote:

RBs: B+
This feels like "Zeke Elliot, plus some guys" to me, and that's not ideal. Obviously Zeke is tremendous, although some argue he's due to regress a bit in his second year. What's worrying is identifying a clear, solid RB2. Arguably that's supposed to be Mike Gillislee, but realistically he's in an RBBC with James White and Dion Lewis. And maybe Bolden or Burkhead. I expect Gillislee to have a few standout games, but I can't credit a new england RB as being an all-season starter. Ware, Duke Johnson, and Vereen are all likely to see the field, but very unlikely to win a bellcow role or even in Vereen and Johnson's cases be the starter. Johnson is behind Crowell, Ware is just ahead of West, and Vereen is a passing-down guy behind Paul Perkins. Joe Williams rounds out the pack as a dark horse candidate: the buzz is that Shanahan demanded him, but I see Hyde as impossible to bench and Hightower as a proven quality RB2/3 kind of guy, so more likely Williams is in development for next year (Hyde will be a free agent) rather than an immediate slot into first team play. OK for the RB6.

C-
Well. Zeke is of course Zeke! But there's a suspension looming over his head, so at any time Zeke could disappear for six games. In this format it's not like you need him for playoffs, but this team desperately needs Zeke's production.
I was right about Gillislee. He had 22 points in week 1! And hasn't broken 5 points since week 2. Yuck. Never own a Pats RB. Duke Johnson has actually been the better back on the season, with three scores of 15+ points, although he's Questionable coming out of the bye and might miss time. Regardless, he's in a committee and is a Brown, so his upside is limited.
Shane Vereen is indeed getting some carries, but has never broken 10 points and mostly turns in weeks in the 0 to 2.5 range... 2.5 has been his ceiling since week 3. Yuck.

And that's it. Spencer Ware is missing the season from injury, and as we now know, was never going to gain or keep the lead job. And Joe Williams also died pre-season, but was never going to break or keep even RB3, even with Tim Hightower not making the team, because Hyde is good and Breida is a good RB2.

All told, a C is kind of a high grade for this crew, and it's only that high because of Zeke. If he manages to completely avoid his suspension this year, Varg will turn in a C-level of RB points, because the rest of his still-playing guys range from barely OK to mediocre to near-worthless. Gillislee was only a 9th round pick, and Duke Johnson was a 13th round pick, so they're fine for where they were had... but Spencer Ware was a 2nd round pick, and that's gross. Even if he'd not been hurt that was a severe overdraft. Joe Williams should not have been owned, even as a 12th round pick. Hell, even as a 19th round pick.

quote:

Another solid but unspectacular set of players who can be relied upon not to suck as a group, but lacking one big superstar to drive big wins. Thielen, Arob, Edelman, and Beasley are all solid proven performers on teams where they should be heavily utilized. Brandon Marshall is now a Giant, which might be good for him, but he's in a crowded receiving corps with no certainty as to how he'll be used. I don't mind him but I think his upside potential is limited. The guys who seem like they don't belong are Eric Decker, whose situation is very unclear on a new team - he'll compete with Rishard Matthews, Corey Davis, Tajae Sharpe, Taywan Taylor, Harry Douglas maybe, Delanie Walker, and DeMarco Murray for targets. That's OK for a late round flyer pick, but Varg took Decker in the fifth round, and I think that's a reach. Consider WRs that went soon after included Emmanuel Sanders, Tyreek Hill, Larry Fitzgerald, and Corey Coleman. The other guy is Rams third-round pick Cooper Kupp, who is slated to be the slot receiver on that offense, being thrown to by Jared Goff probably. A gamble, but OK for a 19th round pick! The three week 8 and two week 9 bye weeks are a minor problem.

[Incomplete]
With Edelman, Marshall, and A-Rob all dead, it's impossible to look at this WR crew fairly. Decker hasn't been worth his fifth round pick, but Kupp was a decent grab, with three 10+ point weeks contributed so far. Adam Thielen has four, and has been an every-week starter with a floor of 6.5 (three times): quite good for an 11th round pick. B-Marsh submitted four complete games before he died, and those were 1.5, 1.5, 10, and 7 points respectively, and that's not good enough for a 6th round pick. If he'd not been injured when Odell went down, maybe those numbers would have ticked up, but you don't get credit for having a guy who might benefit if another guy gets hurt, that's true of every player on every team to some degree.

So I think my B+ grade was probably too high, but maybe not, because Edelman and A-Rob feel like very solid picks to me, Thielen has been great, and there's some good depth players with Kupp and maybe Beasley. We'll never know for sure.

quote:

Delanie Walker is really quite good, albeit not a top five guy, and Julius Thomas ought to do better this year and serve as a reasonable TE2. I think a third TE instead of the superfluous sventh WR would have been a better choice.

B-
Delanie Walker has a season floor of 3 points against the Colts, and a ceiling of 14 in week 2 at the Jags. That's just OK, not a top five guy. Julius Thomas has been mostly crap, with a huge game this week suggesting maybe he'll stop being crap.

There's no third guy, though, and as we've seen before, with FLEX spots in best ball, a third TE is not wasted as long as he can occasionally put up points, and is thus just as useful as a seventh WR for providing occasional scores in addition to being a backup if someone gets hurt.

It's been a weird year for tight ends anyway, and Tannehill was healthy when Orange Julius was drafted, so I don't want to knock Varg much; compared to the problems at RB and WR, his tight ends are fine.

quote:

The steelers are a middle of the pack defense, and the dolphins are significantly further down in the pack. If you're going to only take two D/STs, I think you're obliged to take a really good one as your top pick; relying on the steelers and dolphins is not a great plan.

B-
The Steelers have actually been a great pick this year, and despite being a garbage team with a garbage QB playing garbage football, the Dolphins have also been occasionally useful, particularly a 28-point outing against the Titans in week 5. They have three other 10+ point weeks, so they're contributing.

But as I have said for many other teams, a third D/ST would have helped. If you're just going to take two, I think you want a better team than the Dolphins as your second pick. Varg took him second-to-last in the draft in round 20, so... yeah, whatever. The Steelers at the end of the 18th round were a better value.

quote:

OVERALL GRADE: B
This is a good team. But I just don't love it at any position. None of the positions are horribly weak, but none of them impress me as league-leading either. I expect this team to finish well, but it'll need a fair bit of luck to break the top three, and with some bad luck it could be a bottom-six finisher. Overall it's too safe, lacking in high-upside lottery tickets, and relying too much on Zeke Elliot to carry the day.

C
This is a mediocre team. Partly because of a critical and unlucky slew of injuries at RB and WR, but also because of a lack of clear stars at QB and WR, poor choices with Vereen, Ware, and Siemian, an underwhelming TE crew, and a lack of depth at TE and D/ST. If Zeke stays in play, I doubt this team finishes last, but it has no hope of breaking the top six. :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, that was interesting. I hope anyone else found it useful in some way. Let me know if I accidentally skipped a team or something, and I'm interested in hearing any counter-arguments to my ideas, too.

Oh and I want to congratulate Beer's Wife for grabbing the #1 spot this weekend! She's only five points ahead of Mitchell TrubiBOOOOOOOOOOOO but still. Considering how hard I panned her team to start the season, it's impressive to me.

e. Oh and one more thing:

89 posted:

Dooo meeeee.

My RBs are garbage.

You don't even have a team in this league, silly

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 8, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This league only goes through Week 16, so, we're done!

Final standings: https://www51.myfantasyleague.com/2017/standings?L=60657

Here's the final scoring, along with my preseason and midseason grades, just for my own curiosity:
pre:
League Standings
Franchise 								PF 	Avg PF	Initial grade	Midseason grade
Mitchell TrubiBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 					2190.5 	136.9	B-		A-
Beer's wife 								2185.5 	136.6	C		B+/A-
OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO MY EYE?! OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO MY EYE?! 	2008.5 	125.5	B+		B
Dream of Crabtree-Fournett-cation 					1974.0 	123.4	A		B-
VietCongos VietCongos 							1959.5 	122.5	B-		B-
Anvil of Crom Anvil of Crom 						1957.0 	122.3	B		C+
fantasy fartball 							1875.0 	117.2	C		B-
Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks...  	1869.0 	116.8	C		C-
Not Forums User Wayne Gretzky Not Forums User Wayne Gretzky 		1764.5 	110.3	C		C
The Glennophant Man The Glennophant Man 				1759.0 	109.9	A-		B?
Zeke's Freekz Zeke's Freekz 						1725.0 	107.8	B		C
Corn Elder Thing Corn Elder Thing 					1678.5 	104.9	A-		C+
I mean, goddamn. A five point difference between the top two teams after sixteen weeks is impressive! Especially given the 177 point dropoff from second to third place. That was quite the finish!

We can also see here that my grading is garbage and worthless. Especially my initial grading. Also why didn't I give anyone a D? Bleh.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This was a cool read, LF. Sorry i didn't see it until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
So basically I won this on Hopkins insane catch. That's pretty cool!

• Locked thread