Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

RisqueBarber posted:

I hope you're right but I think Dak will have an RG3 kind of second year
What worries you about Dak? Dallas' system offers a lot of stability and protection for him so I'm not real worried about regression. Plus he didn't destroy his knee like RG3 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Lol, I forgot I had autodrwft set up . Oh well, I can still discuss who I could have picked

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DeMarco and Jay were my next two RB choices, in that order, so good jorb dudes

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lol, I forgot I had autodrwft set up . Oh well, I can still discuss who I could have picked

You still can. Most of us post a backdrop on who we picked and why. It's half the fun.

Also, for those of you not posting about your picks, you are doing it wrong.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

took Spencer Ware with my 2nd pick, everything looks like a crapshoot already

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sataere posted:

Also, for those of you not posting about your picks, you are doing it wrong.

You right, sorry

1.05 - Antonio Brown

Certifiable stud. I don't usually like to go WR in the first round, but AB has proven himself to be elite for the last 4 years. Also as others have mentioned there's a long dropoff between elite and boom/bust RBs right now and I'd rather go with a sure thing* when I'm that high up in the draft order.
*as sure a thing as we can get in this stupid sports betting game

2.08 - DeMarco Murray

I HATE getting left behind on RBs because I'm historically pretty bad at picking the correct 2nd tier and boom/bust guys that end up panning out. So I decided I'd definitely grab a RB in round two and DeMarco had the best track record + current situation of anybody available at this particular 2.08.

I mean I'm not exactly doing any weird science just yet but Sataere is right, half the fun is in the sharing.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tiptoes posted:

What worries you about Dak? Dallas' system offers a lot of stability and protection for him so I'm not real worried about regression. Plus he didn't destroy his knee like RG3 did.

I think he'll be given more to do and the Cowboys have a tough schedule. First 5 games are:

Vs. Giants
@Broncos
@Cardinals
vs. Rams (trash)
vs. Packers.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
1.04 Le'veon Bell
With the top 2 RBs ofF the board, he was my highest ranked player. Antonio Brown was a cloooooose second, but because we could start 3 RBs and because I know a top tier RB won't make it back to me, I'm going bell.

2.09 Jay Ajayi
Whoa, a top tier RB did make it back to me. With best ball, i figure that Ajayi's inconsistency won't hurt as much. Plus there are just no great WRs left on the board

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 11, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
3.04 A little shocked both Fournette and GRonk made it back to me. In a vacuum, I'd prefer Fournette. But I already have 2 RBs and I'm pretty good at developing talent at that position. So Gronk it is. This is my favorite pick so far.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I will admit to secretly hoping Gronk would fall to me. He's one of my favorite types of draft picks in the third or fourth round. Guh who dominates, but missed a season due to injury, so his value plummets.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah what the hell, I'll take a shot on

3.05 - Leonard Fournette

Partially because of the endorsement in this thread, partially because he's the highest ranked RB available ADP-wise right now, and partially because he could make a real impact in Jacksonville where there's not much competition for the spot. I typically don't like taking rookies this early in the draft, and now I'm seeing he has a history of injuries? But I'm willing to take some risks in a slow draft best ball situation, and despite infamously knowing very little about incoming draft classes, I actually do recognize this guy's name so that's got to mean something.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think third round is an acceptable spot to take rookies. Taking Zeke in the first last year was nuts, despite the results.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
1.12 LeSean McCoy

101 carries 577 and 8 TD's. No those are not McCoy's stats, those are the stats of the now departed Mike Gillislee. McCoy himself was able to put up a respectable 1,267 yards and 13 TD's with a 5.41 average, good for top 5 in yards and TD's scored even with Gillislee taking 8 TD's. When Healthy McCoy is a bonafide top 5 RB and only missed one game last season and with the departure of Gillislee i don't expect his rushing totals to fall off at all.

With Bell, DJ, Zeke, and Gordon gone early my choices here came down to McCoy, Howard, or Freeman with Howard getting drafted right before me and deciding to go with McCoy due to his consistency and the presence of Coleman still in ATL and the loss of Shanahan contributing to the uncertainty.

2.01 Michael Thomas

Honestly this pick came down to Jordy Nelson and Thomas for me, don't get me wrong i'm a huge Jordy fan. But i slightly favored Thomas as him AND Brandin Cooks both finished as top 10 WR's last season and with the departure of Cooks, i'm banking for Thomas to push for top 5 status this year in one of the most pass happy offenses in the league, Ted Ginn is no Cooks. Meanwhile Jordy did finish last season with the most receiving TD's and top 10 in yards, but in the meantime that Packers receiving core has managed to get more crowded with the addition of Bennett. Basically i'm banking on Thomas finishing higher than Jordy.

Sataere posted:

I think third round is an acceptable spot to take rookies. Taking Zeke in the first last year was nuts, despite the results.

haha yeah in the first slow draft last year i took Zeke like 7th overall and ended up averaging the most points per week due to him and Melvin Gordon just straight carrying my otherwise subpar team.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 9, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Thank you for letting me have Jordy. I like Thomas, but I don't think he is in Jordy's class. :D

And I get that drafting Zeke worked for you. It's just too risky for my first. Rookies just burn you more often than not.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Sataere posted:

Taking Zeke in the first last year was based on correctly evaluating his talent and ideal landing spot. That isn't the case with all highly drafted RBs and it's definitely worlds apart from being on the Jags. I like Fournette's talent, but joining a dysfunctional offense led by Blake Bortles and Doug Marrone gives me a lot of concerns about Fournette's value as a rookie. Third round ADP seems too risky for me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It's a fair point. I liked Zeke last year, I just didn't like his ADP. The problem with evaluating rookies in fantasy is there are do many factors we don't know. Dumb coaching can really get in the way of talent, because "rookies gotta earn it" or some such bullshit.

My concerns weren't talent related, but opportunity. Jordan Howard is a perfect example of this. His numbers last year should've been way better, but bad coaching limited his opportunities.

But I tend to be more risk-averse with my first pick.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sataere posted:

Thank you for letting me have Jordy. I like Thomas, but I don't think he is in Jordy's class. :D

And I get that drafting Zeke worked for you. It's just too risky for my first. Rookies just burn you more often than not.

Yea no doubt Jordy is great, for me it just boiled down to the potential for increased production from last season.

Jordy
97 rec 1257 yards and 14 TD's

Thomas
92 rec 1137 yards and 9 TD's

Thing that made me favor Thomas slightly was Cooks leaving with his 78 rec 1173 yards and 8 TD's stat line. NO will still be a pass happy team and those yards and TD's have to go somewhere between Thomas, Snead, Ginn, and whoever the hell they have at TE. Honestly i considered taking both back2back haha, but figured i should grab a top 5 RB while i still could.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm glad you didn't, because I am not sure I would've grabbed McCoy and you made a very compelling argument for him. I used to love McCoy, but I have been down on him the past couple of years. I think I am seriously undervaluing him. I can't wait to check this out further.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sataere posted:

I'm glad you didn't, because I am not sure I would've grabbed McCoy and you made a very compelling argument for him. I used to love McCoy, but I have been down on him the past couple of years. I think I am seriously undervaluing him. I can't wait to check this out further.

Yea i'm hit or miss on McCoy, his knock is his durability, but he only missed a game last season and the Bills still have a somewhat decent Oline? (haven't really followed them since end of the season) Should also remain a run first offense with the way their receiving core looks.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 10, 2017

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Sataere posted:

It's a fair point. I liked Zeke last year, I just didn't like his ADP. The problem with evaluating rookies in fantasy is there are do many factors we don't know. Dumb coaching can really get in the way of talent, because "rookies gotta earn it" or some such bullshit.

My concerns weren't talent related, but opportunity. Jordan Howard is a perfect example of this. His numbers last year should've been way better, but bad coaching limited his opportunities.

But I tend to be more risk-averse with my first pick.
Oh wow I completely spaced that you were the one to take Howard in the first. What's your case for him being a first rounder this year? That offense is completely barren aside from Howard and the idea of taking an RB on a team with one of the lowest projected win totals for 2017 seems incredibly risky to me.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
1.01- David Johnson- He and LeVeon Bell are essentially the only two RBs I'll draft in the first in .5 PPR or PPR. Gave the slight edge to DJ as he's got the better injury/suspension track record.

2.12- Doug Baldwin- Of the remaining WRs at this point, Baldwin's coming off of two back to back 1000 yard seasons. While there's potential for a drop off after signing a big extension, I wouldn't be shocked if he splits the TD difference between his '15 and '16 seasons and puts up another top 10 performance.

3.01- Alshon Jeffery- Change of scenery and some offensive stability will hopefully make for a bounceback season for Jeffery in Philly. I feel like he's going to have some monster market share in a forgettable receiving corps.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Veritek83 posted:

1.01- David Johnson- He and LeVeon Bell are essentially the only two RBs I'll draft in the first in .5 PPR or PPR. Gave the slight edge to DJ as he's got the better injury/suspension track record.

I'm not sure there's 10 WR's i'd take over Zeke even in PPR leagues.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 10, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

Oh wow I completely spaced that you were the one to take Howard in the first. What's your case for him being a first rounder this year? That offense is completely barren aside from Howard and the idea of taking an RB on a team with one of the lowest projected win totals for 2017 seems incredibly risky to me.

I am a Bears fan. :v:

Truth be told, the Bears offensive problems were coaching related, not talent related. They have an underrated run blocking offensive line and were middle of the pack in offensive yards. Their problems came from one of the worst time of possession and turnover ratios in the league, coupled with a league high players on IR.

Sitton, Whitehair and Long might be one of the most talented interior lines in football. Massie sucks at pass protection, but he run blocks well.

And in regards to Howard himself, compare his numbers to Zeke. He did as much as Elliott on a per touch basis and didn't have the talent Elliott had around him. His only problem waa his coaches took to long to give him more opportunities.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3.06 pick 30 A A Ron Rod Gers

I'm usually not taking the first QB off the board, but I think mid 3rd round is fine for Rodgers. He's getting older and maybe has some injury risk, but I think he's a safer pick than the other QB options as far as safe throws and plenty of yards. I had planned to take Gronk or a good WR but the WR with the highest ADP left right now is Watkins and I'm worried about his foot.

I dunno. Maybe this is a big mistake. :shrug:

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I was impressed by Howard last season, he seemed like the only offensive weapon that was actually putting in work most of the season. I was worried about his TD rate though, he had 6 rushing TD's last season with 3 of them coming in one game. I didn't follow the Bears games much besides checking out Howard here and there but if the Bears continue to have problems getting to the redzone and scoring position, that's a huge knock for taking Howard in the 1st, i personally had him early 2nd and probably would've taken him or Freeman if McCoy was taken.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

3.06 pick 30 A A Ron Rod Gers

I'm usually not taking the first QB off the board, but I think mid 3rd round is fine for Rodgers. He's getting older and maybe has some injury risk, but I think he's a safer pick than the other QB options as far as safe throws and plenty of yards. I had planned to take Gronk or a good WR but the WR with the highest ADP left right now is Watkins and I'm worried about his foot.

I dunno. Maybe this is a big mistake. :shrug:

Maybe, maybe not. I think that is a reasonable spot for him. It is certainly the safest pick.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I want to hear about the Spencer Ware pick . I get it, it's just that he's just had so little press this offseason I'm clamoring to see some opinions & stats

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

VietCampo posted:

I'm not sure there's 10 WR's i'd take over Zeke even in PPR leagues.

totally fair- my distaste for him is largely irrational

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
2.06 DeAndre Hopkins - They say Deshaun Watson is a one-read QB, hopefully that one read is to his big rear end receiver that goes and gets it as good as anybody.

3.07 Christian McCaffrey - Even if he gets vultured by Stewart on the regular, with the 0.5 PPR and a couple punt return TD he should be worth a pick in this round. I think he's a high-floor rookie given the players around him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
3.08 - Carlos Hyde

Depending on who you talk to this is either a steal or a disaster. I think it's a decent value. Shanahan really didn't make any major picks this offseason, and he has a history of making RBs perform extremely well. Given the other choices in this region I like his upside.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm excited. MFL's adp rankings really bury a lot of good guys, so I'm betting one will fall to me, 15 picks from now.

I also pay wayyyyy too much attention during the offseason, it's nice to have a chance to use all that knowledge that will be in the collective FF consciousness three months from now

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 10, 2017

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I want to hear about the Spencer Ware pick . I get it, it's just that he's just had so little press this offseason I'm clamoring to see some opinions & stats

He just kinda felt like a safer pick to me than other WRs/RBs going around that spot / I like his situation more than other RBs around there, even Ajayi haha. I almost took Gurley but I think he's still gonna have it rough too. Ware only had 5 TDs last year, I like his chances to improve that.

Took Allen Robinson at 3.02 cause I think the Jags will figure their poo poo out enough to stop him from having another bad year.

Varg fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 10, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

3.08 - Carlos Hyde

Depending on who you talk to this is either a steal or a disaster. I think it's a decent value. Shanahan really didn't make any major picks this offseason, and he has a history of making RBs perform extremely well. Given the other choices in this region I like his upside.

He was my next pick for this same reason. It's about the right spot for him.

Varg posted:

Took Allen Robinson at 3.02 cause I think the Jags will figure their poo poo out enough to stop him from having another bad year.

He was pretty decent the second half of last year, so it's good value.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Jarvis Landry is in a contract year and is consistently a PPR machine. I liked Davante Adams a bit more here, but I don't like having multiple receivers from the same team if I can help it.

Not sure if I reached here, but I didn't think he'd come back to me at five and I like him a lot this season. Cleveland invested heavily in their offensive line and I don't think he has a lot of competition at the position.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Some great picks around the turn. Adams and Landry and Pryor are steals, and Crowell is criminally underrated in a thirsty rb year

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
3.12 Davante Adams

I passed on grabbing Jordy Nelson at the end of the 1st but i'm happy with grabbing Davante Adams here 2 rounds later. He has cemented himself as the WR2 to Jordy's WR1 in Green Bay and looked great all last season finishing just shy of the top 10 by 1 point. I don't expect him to improve upon his touchdowns of 12 but he definitely has the potential to break 1000 yards for the first time with another season under his belt. He's a high end WR2 in one of the best offenses in the league.

4.01 Terrelle Pryor

Now according to MFL's adp Pryor shouldn't be off the board until another round and a half, but honestly i don't think that's close to right. Pryor could end up being a great option to break the top 15 this season or even the top 10. With the loss of DeSean Jackson and Garcon, Pryor has gone from one receiving core void of receiving talent to another with the exception of the frequently injured Jordan Reed and Crowder. Washington should remain a fairly pass happy team and that bodes wonders for Pryor.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 10, 2017

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I like Pryor's situation on paper... but I still get a bad feeling about him. His game logs don't seem too concerning aside from 3/4 TDs basically coming in the first month. But Cleveland's evaluation of him dropped considerably by the end of the year. There was talk in early October that Pryor was one of their rare few untouchables in trade talks but then the offseason comes and they basically pegged Pryor and Kenny Britt as roughly the same value. Struck me as weird. Also weird was the ire he was drawing from cornerbacks around the league, like he was talking poo poo a lot more than others. Makes me think there's an ego issue there, the "thinks he's better than he actually is" kind. I'm worried about the risk of him not meshing well with a new coaching staff.

As for my picks...

3.10 Sammy Watkins
A risky pick in the third but easier to swallow in bestball formats. I would've taken Keenan Allen if he had fallen one more pick. I normally like to avoid receivers with foot issues but I wasn't entirely sold on any of the other top guys available here. A healthy Watkins can dominate and play against the best cornerbacks in the league. He can put together some truly explosive days so I just need to build on my depth to help protect against any setbacks he might incur.

4.03 Joe Mixon
Joe Mixon is a bad person but goddamn did he land in an ideal spot. Immediately relegates Jeremy Hill to backup/tradebait and he's great on passing downs too so I don't expect a pure committee with Gio either. I think he'll be one of the offensive focal points on the Bengals and the top rookie RB. RB1 upside.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Four picks left until mine, two guys I really want left
Don't pick my guys
Don't pick my guys
Don't pick my guys
Don't pick my guys

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 11, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
4.05 - Demaryius Thomas

Why yes, I will gladly take last year's WR15 in the fourth round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

4.05 - Demaryius Thomas

Why yes, I will gladly take last year's WR15 in the fourth round.

I SAID DON'T PICK MY GUYS!!!

one guy left, three picks before me...
Don't take my guy
Don't take my guy
Don't take my guy

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread