Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sataere posted:

But Crowder wasn't drafted. :shrug:

Did you mean Diggs?

I have no idea why i thought Crowder got drafted, wow. Anyways i think i would've taken Fitzy regardless, consistency at the spot at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

VietCampo posted:

I have no idea why i thought Crowder got drafted, wow. Anyways i think i would've taken Fitzy regardless, consistency at the spot at least.

After Diggs, my next two receivers lined up were Fitz and Crowder, so I can't fault your thought process.

I think you guys were sleeping on Diggs. He's gonna have a big year.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
5.10 Emmanuel Sanders
One of them "reliable vet with solid floor" picks. I thought he was a solid value at the bottom of the fifth and I felt like I needed a guy like him after swinging for the fences with a few of my picks so far.

6.03 Matt Ryan
Getting Ryan as the 7th QB off the board felt like great value to me. I know he doesn't have Shanahan as his OC any more but Ryan still has a ton of weapons in that offense and ought to know what to do with them. I think he still has a decent chance to repeat as a Top 3 QB. Could wait longer at QB but sixth round felt like a good time to make a move like this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
6.05 - Mark Ingram

Surprised he lasted this long. While AP is a threat, he's also old and not known for being part of the passing game. I also considered CJ Anderson here, but I don't like the situation in Denver. I also considered a WR or TE but prefer the value in RB.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6.07 #67 Latavius Murray
I dunno. He was fine in Oakland and capable of taking the same lead back role in Minnesota, a team with a lingering question mark at QB. I had a hard time picking between a handful of tempting RBs here.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
6.08 - Adrian Peterson

Welp, let's see what happens!

Leperflesh posted:

I had a hard time picking between a handful of tempting RBs here.

Same

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
6.09 Martavis Bryant
If he's sober, he is a solid bet to win the #2 slot in a top 5 offense. There is a lot of risk, but my other choice was Corey Davis, and I think there's risk there, too

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

At this point, it's all risk. :v:

I'm very curious how the last five rounds are gonna play out. As it stands, I am not sure how I will fill out this roster. This poo poo is gonna be interesting.

EDIT: Also, surprised Brandon Marshall lasted this long.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 14, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Previous history suggests the last five rounds will have a lot of kickers and DSTs.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
drat, i was hoping Henry would make it to me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

VietCampo posted:

drat, i was hoping Henry would make it to me.

We all were.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sataere posted:

We all were.

Now someone snipe Zach Ertz, he will be worth it I swear.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Feels weird doubling up on TE, but I feel like it's worth it in the format.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Veritek83 posted:

Feels weird doubling up on TE, but I feel like it's worth it in the format.

Only if you're right.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
7.05 - Jimmy Graham

Instead of just sitting here thinking of the best way to summarize a CBS Sports article I found on Rotoworld,

"Rotoworld posted:

Speaking at the Pro Bowl, Graham confirmed his return from a torn patellar tendon was as arduous as possible, but that he's long since turned the corner, as evidenced by his excellent season. "Everything's in the rear view," he said. "So imagine how I played this year. I mean, I barely practiced ... just to be ready for the games." Graham tapered as the year wore on, but averaged a career-best 14.2 yards per catch. His 923 yards were his most since 2013. Although he's now on the wrong side of 30, Graham should remain a TE1 for 2017.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

yeah thanks for kinda forcing me to take a TE there Veritek where I would otherwise maybe not have haha

Delanie Walker is cool and good though and him and Mariota should keep improving that connection

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
7.07 Big Ben

In a normal league, I'd take Mariota or Cousins before him. In a best ball, I can hopefully survive his crappy road game performances by pairing him with another decent QB. There's also some risk that he might fall off the cliff like Eli has.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

7.06 #78 Mike Williams, LAC

A first round WR pick who will be targeted by Phillip Rivers. Still a risk, obviously... but the upside potential is there, and from the seventh round all I'm really looking for is upside potential. But I made my pick yesterday morning, and if I'd known there was gonna be a run on tight ends I might have grabbed one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
7.08 - CJ Anderson

Not sure how he fell this far, but I'm definitely not complaining. Last year he actually did fairly well in the weeks he played, working as a RB2 before getting hurt. Now the question becomes whether or not he's healthier than Jamaal Charles, and whether or not Denver's emphasis on the passing game will make him worthless. Tons of risk but tons of upside makes it a logical pick around this point in the draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

7.08 - CJ Anderson

Not sure how he fell this far, but I'm definitely not complaining. Last year he actually did fairly well in the weeks he played, working as a RB2 before getting hurt. Now the question becomes whether or not he's healthier than Jamaal Charles, and whether or not Denver's emphasis on the passing game will make him worthless. Tons of risk but tons of upside makes it a logical pick around this point in the draft.

He fell because I hate CJ Anderson. It's purely irrational on my part.

Kelvin Benjamin may be fat, but he's still a good receiver. At the very least, he should get me a few big games. I just felt he had the highest floor and ceiling of the receivers left.

Marcus Mariota is a pick I am unsure about. He was the last guy available in my tier and I was worried about another run at quarterbacks before my next pick. Frankly, I am worried I lost some value here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
8.05 - Eddie Lacy

Going on a major RB run during the middle of the draft. At this point I'm just hoping one or two of them sticks.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

7.10 Desean Jackson
An excellent complement to Mike Evans in TB, I think he's in for another solid season. Always good in best ball, I think he'll be a more reliable option in redraft leagues this year as well.

8.03 Martellus Bennett
He may have gone later but I like this spot, grabbing him as the 9th TE off the board. I'm imagining all those DFS lineups with Jared Cook in last season's playoffs, only this time it's Black Unicorn and it's even better.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bennett has the potential to be a great value at tight end. But since he's a tight end, he could just be a pile of trash.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

8.07 #91 David Njoku
Almost everyone has a tight end now except me, so I guess I better grab one huh? Well OK I'll take this first round rookie draft pick guy on the Browns!

In all seriousness though, the Browns got rid of Barnidge so they're all in on this guy being their pass-catching outlet for whoever the hell is the QB in Cleveland. Which might be Brock Osweiler, concievably, a man who loved to dump the ball off to his safety blanket tight ends all last season.

Maybe this will be a bust pick, I dunno, but gently caress it I don't really want zach ertz so it's this guy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

How often do rookie tight ends contribute in their first season? I feel like that number has to be low.

Although I love all three first round rookie tight ends to be exceptions to the rule.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
8.08 - Dak Prescott

The way I see it, a best ball format means having a high producer at every position is important, and that definitely shouldn't exclude QB play. I'll have 5-6 RBs, 5-6 WRs...more likely to get lucky with some lower round picks there. But with QB, if I try to have one stud (which Cam is iffy as I've admitted) and that's it, I'm going to be sunk if something happens. So I'm investing in another potential starter QB somewhat early in the draft as insurance at that position.

That being said, I honestly don't know much about Dak except that he was a rookie last year, won the starting QB job over Romo, and the Cowboys looked really good during regular season. That combined with his relative ADP, and I dunno...he must be doing something right. Welcome to the team Dak.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm.

I decided to do some cool analysis to answer this question. So, here is every tight end drafted in the first or second round, 2006-2016:

pre:
year	round	name			team		school		games 	catches/yards/TDs	Notes
2016	2	Hunter Henry		Chargers	Arkansas	15	36/478/8		TE1 Antonio Gates was injured part of 2016
2015	2	Maxx Williams		Ravens		Minnesota	14	32/268/1		Injured, IR oct 2016
2014	1	Eric Ebron		Lions		North Carolina	13	25/248/1
2014	2	Austin Seferian-Jenkins	Buccaneers	Washington	9	21/221/2		injured, IR dec 2014
2014	2	Jace Amaro		Jets		Texas Tech	14	38/345/2		
2014	2	Troy Niklas		Cardinals	Notre Dame	7	3/38/0			blocking TE
2013	1	Tyler Eifert		Bengals		Notre Dame	15	39/445/2
2013	2	Zach Ertz		Eagles		Stanford	16	36/469/4
2013	2	Gavin Escobar		Cowboys		San Diego State	16	9/134/2			was supposed to be a catching TE
2013	2	Vance McDonald		49ers		Rice		15	8/119/0			TE2 behind Vernon Davis
2012	2	Coby Fleener		Colts		Stanford	12	26/281/2		
2011	2	Kyle Rudolph		Vikings		Notre Dame	15	26/249/3		recovering from hammy, thrown to by Christian Ponder
2011	2	Lance Kendricks		Rams		Wisconsin	15	28/352/0		rams
2010	1	Jermaine Gresham	Bengals		Oklahoma	15	52/471/4		franchise record catches by rookie TE
2010	2	Rob Gronkowski		Patriots	Arizona		16	42/546/10		lol
2009	1	Brandon Pettigrew	Lions		Oklahoma State	11	31/352/2		Injured, IR Dec 1st 2009
2009	2	Richard Quinn		Broncos		North Carolina	15	0/0/0			never actually played any of these games
2008	1	Dustin Keller		Jets		Purdue		16	48/535/3		Brett Favre
2008	2	John Carlson		Seahawks	Notre Dame	16	55/627/5		Seahawks had many WR injuries this year
2008	2	Fred Davis		Redskins	USC		11	3/27/0			Barely played, was a fuckup
2008	2	Martellus Bennett	Cowboys		Texas A&M	16	20/283/4		Played behind Jason Witten
2007	1	Greg Olsen		Bears		Miami (FL)	14	39/391/2		injured knee, missed first two games
2007	2	Zach Miller		Raiders		Arizona State	16	44/444/3		No, the other Zach Miller, not the one still playing
2006	1	Vernon Davis		49ers		Maryland	10	20/265/3		Injured Sept 06, fractured fibula, returned Nov 19
2006	1	Marcedes Lewis		Jaguars		UCLA		15	13/126/1		Blocked more than catches, but was drafted to catch. Lol jags
2006	2	Joe Klopfenstein	Rams		Colorado	16	20/226/1		lol rams
2006	2	Anthony Fasano		Cowboys		Notre Dame	16	14/126/0		Primarily blocked, behind TE Jason Witten
I would say that first and second round TE draft picks frequently make a meaningful contribution. My gut feel is that they bust no more often than other 1st and 2nd round rookies bust.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

timp posted:

8.08 - Dak Prescott

The way I see it, a best ball format means having a high producer at every position is important, and that definitely shouldn't exclude QB play. I'll have 5-6 RBs, 5-6 WRs...more likely to get lucky with some lower round picks there. But with QB, if I try to have one stud (which Cam is iffy as I've admitted) and that's it, I'm going to be sunk if something happens. So I'm investing in another potential starter QB somewhat early in the draft as insurance at that position.

That being said, I honestly don't know much about Dak except that he was a rookie last year, won the starting QB job over Romo, and the Cowboys looked really good during regular season. That combined with his relative ADP, and I dunno...he must be doing something right. Welcome to the team Dak.

I debated getting Dak, but went with Feast Mode instead. I will likely regret this decision. For me the biggest concern was a sophomore slump.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I debated getting Dak, but went with Feast Mode instead. I will likely regret this decision. For me the biggest concern was a sophomore slump.

Same. I'm just not that high on him. I feel his ceiling is lower than a lot of QBs in that same tier and I worry his floor could drop out from under him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was surprised he fell this far, actually. I agree with taking matty ice ahead of him, but I would have taken Prescott over Mariota, and maybe Cousins.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I was surprised he fell this far, actually. I agree with taking matty ice ahead of him, but I would have taken Prescott over Mariota, and maybe Cousins.

Since I took Mariota over him, I think you are wrong. :colbert:

Whoever drafted Jordan Matthews, come in here and defend your pick so we can mock you for taking Jordan Matthews.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
8. something OJ Howard

I am also not thrilled about having a rookie as my TE1, but he's apparently the best TE prospect in 10 years so I'll just go with it. I will add a veteran later.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Since I took Mariota over him, I think you are wrong. :colbert:

Whoever drafted Jordan Matthews, come in here and defend your pick so we can mock you for taking Jordan Matthews.

I did.

Carson Wentz is going to improve, there will be attention on Jeffries. Matthews feels like a safe bet for 800+ yards and a few weeks with a td or two. I don't like John Brown, that new charger guy, Cobb, Ross, Marquis, Meredith, nor Thielen, but I think I needed a 4th wr because that's my weak spot. So Matthews felt right. Feel free to tear me apart, constructively, that's why we do these early exercises

I almost picked DeAngelo Williams because i have LeVeon. I was really close, then I did some googling and found out that Williams is no longer a steeler.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Jordan Matthews as your WR4 is an excellent pick, actually. He's young, healthy, and is just as likely as anyone to give you two big games this year, which is all you could ask for in best ball format from your WR4.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

I did.

Carson Wentz is going to improve, there will be attention on Jeffries. Matthews feels like a safe bet for 800+ yards and a few weeks with a td or two. I don't like John Brown, that new charger guy, Cobb, Ross, Marquis, Meredith, nor Thielen, but I think I needed a 4th wr because that's my weak spot. So Matthews felt right. Feel free to tear me apart, constructively, that's why we do these early exercises

I almost picked DeAngelo Williams because i have LeVeon. I was really close, then I did some googling and found out that Williams is no longer a steeler.

On the one hand, you present a very sound argument. On the other hand, lol Jordan Matthews.

The pick is fine at this point. I just hate Jordan Matthews

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I would say that first and second round TE draft picks frequently make a meaningful contribution. My gut feel is that they bust no more often than other 1st and 2nd round rookies bust.
I would disagree with your conclusion. Only three guys exceeded 500 yards (Gronk, Keller, Carlson) and only three exceeded 4 TDs (Henry, Gronk, Carlson). You might get a spike week from a rookie here or there but what's Njoku's realistic ceiling in year 1? Like 400 yards and a couple TDs? It's not that guys are busts as rookies; TE is just one of the harder offensive positions to make an immediate impact. Even Gronk looks pretty human aside from his Gronk-ian rate of scoring TDs. They need to stand out as reliable red zone weapons to be fantasy relevant. OJ Howard MIGHT do that; he's the best TE to come out in years and landed with the best QB of the bunch. Still wouldn't take him in the top 10 rounds though. And I'm highly doubtful that Njoku or Evan Engram will make impacts as fantasy players even though I think both can turn in solid rookie campaigns from just a regular football perspective.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I did.

Jordan Matthews will turn out to be a fine pick.

After he's traded to the Ravens.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tiptoes posted:

I would disagree with your conclusion. Only three guys exceeded 500 yards (Gronk, Keller, Carlson) and only three exceeded 4 TDs (Henry, Gronk, Carlson). You might get a spike week from a rookie here or there but what's Njoku's realistic ceiling in year 1? Like 400 yards and a couple TDs? It's not that guys are busts as rookies; TE is just one of the harder offensive positions to make an immediate impact. Even Gronk looks pretty human aside from his Gronk-ian rate of scoring TDs. They need to stand out as reliable red zone weapons to be fantasy relevant. OJ Howard MIGHT do that; he's the best TE to come out in years and landed with the best QB of the bunch. Still wouldn't take him in the top 10 rounds though. And I'm highly doubtful that Njoku or Evan Engram will make impacts as fantasy players even though I think both can turn in solid rookie campaigns from just a regular football perspective.

Jordan Matthews will turn out to be a fine pick.

After he's traded to the Ravens.

I think you and I might have different expectations for how a TE outside of the top five guys in the league can be anticipated to perform.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think you and I might have different expectations for how a TE outside of the top five guys in the league can be anticipated to perform.
What about the Top 15 TEs? Cause I mean a 57/552/4 line would be a great rookie line for Njoku. But then that was only TE15 in PPR last year (TE18 in standard). So I just don't see the upside there.

I feel MFL ranked the rookies way too high relative to the non-elite veterans. There's still a sizable gulf between those tiers and I think the "shiny new toy"-ism of the rookies can lead someone into a trap.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tiptoes posted:

I feel MFL ranked the rookies way too high relative to the non-elite veterans. There's still a sizable gulf between those tiers and I think the "shiny new toy"-ism of the rookies can lead someone into a trap.

yeee. although, I didn't know that they had actual rankings, I've just been sorting by ADP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

yeee. although, I didn't know that they had actual rankings, I've just been sorting by ADP
Actually I think I misspoke. I was thinking of the ADP sorting; yeah those aren't rankings. Guess I just thought "someone had to have ordered these guys this way cause there's no way three rookies should be going this high."

Seriously there are like ten names left that I would still take over Evan Engram at this point. And Jason Witten is even lower than Adam Shaheen and Tyler Higbee for gently caress's sake!

• Locked thread