Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I AM IN oh my god I am in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey people PM or let me know your e-mail if you want to use MFL.

Otherwise I guess we could do it via the forum.

my user name at gee mail dot com
or just look at last year's slow draft I and II

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

collusion

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

this year I will not be tricked into drafting jared goff

last year I drafted marshawn lynch on the basis he wasn't really retired. I was right goddamnit!

Just looking at last year's roster, god, what was I thinking with some of those pick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

isn't it literally a best ball league tho?

I'm open to either one but I guess for me, the deeper the better because it will force me to evaluate rookies and UDFAs and dudes who got traded in the off season etc. etc. and that's the reason we're drafting in May right

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

already voted hoss

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I put my team name in as "Anvil of Crom" but it's showing up in all caps. How did you other guys get your team names into initial caps?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Varg posted:

that's just how MFL displays your name in the standings

ohhh, it's just telling me which one is my team, how... helpful

VietCampo posted:

We are gonna be randomizing the draft order right?

check out the draft page, it's already randomized.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drafting haushka before Beer can get his grubby mitts on him again

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the draft thing only shows 16 rounds, are we doing 20 or 16 this is important to my first round draft strategy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK it's just MFL's amazing website design in action

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

At the very top of the UI, click Reports > Rules > League Scoring

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

Sorry everyone, I was at a wedding.

Took OBJ then an hour later forgot the giants picked up Brandon Marshall. Hope it works out.

I think teams will be forced to cover b-marsh which should benefit obj.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was kind of torn. I got Julio in the first round so I felt I needed one of the clear RB1s left on the chart. Lamar got hurt a bit last year and still managed decent numbers, and the Texans QB situation is still pretty unclear. They drafted a rookie RB who should be good to go, but I can't see them not leaning heavily on Miller at least for this year, because what are the odds this new guy is a zeke right out the gate?

I'm still not sure I grabbed the right guy, but of the top 5 RBs remaining that I want, I'm not sure any of them will still be there at my next pick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My problem is I've drafted Lamar Miller onto a lot of teams over the last three years and I'm not confident that I can still be objective about him. I've had this problem with fantasy in the past, I get locked onto particular players.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DeMarco and Jay were my next two RB choices, in that order, so good jorb dudes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3.06 pick 30 A A Ron Rod Gers

I'm usually not taking the first QB off the board, but I think mid 3rd round is fine for Rodgers. He's getting older and maybe has some injury risk, but I think he's a safer pick than the other QB options as far as safe throws and plenty of yards. I had planned to take Gronk or a good WR but the WR with the highest ADP left right now is Watkins and I'm worried about his foot.

I dunno. Maybe this is a big mistake. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

4.07 #43 Michael Crabtree

Technically a WR2 behind Amari Cooper, but I've been paying attention. Crabs gets a lot of TD looks (last year he scored 9 to cooper's 4), he's the go-to guy while Cooper draws heavier coverage, and of the WRs left he's one of the few busting 1000 yards and 7+ TDs last year. All of his stats rose from 2015 to 2016, which is a very good sign for a veteran, and the Raiders in general are on an upswing. In best ball format I'm less concerned about injury potential and I don't see any of the other WRs on the roster cutting into his targets much.

I wanted DT here, it was obviously not going to fall to me, and looking through the next ten or so WRs in ADP, Crabtree stood out. One or two other 1k+ yard scoring WRs there but their various situations make me uneasy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trading picks sounds cool but uh, are you gonna get an expanded roster size or are you effectively giving up your final pick/gaining an extra final-round pick?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I mean you could just do a 2:2 swap by trading (say) a 5th and a 24th for a 7th and a 9th. But I totally understand if Beer doesn't want to manually deal with trades and I have no idea if a free MFL will let you do pick trades anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When the draft is over, there is nothing whatsoever to do except watch your points accumulate every week. There's no FA, no trades, no choosing starters, no management at all.

There's no matchups, either. You just accumulate points all season and whoever has the most at the end, wins.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Same. Kelce was my next choice after Crabtree so I didn't really have hope he'd fall to my next pick, but now Jordan "brain damage" Reed is gone too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

5.06 #54 Derek Carr

OK, this is probably a reach. But I looked over the RB and WR choices that project as 5th rounders and didn't feel like any of them were worth more than the ones that project 6-7th round. I've also already got aaron rodgers, so taking my second QB in the 5th seems wrong? But. I'm sold on Carr, I think the Raiders are going to take a deep dive into the playoffs, and I actually think there's about to be a significant run on QBs (I made this pick before Cam Newton was taken, which solidifies my prediction). I don't want any part of Cam, he's taken too many hits and K-Benj is fat and out of shape and I think Carolina is in decline (sorry timp). I also don't feel like Luck is a safe QB pick either, that team just is too dysfunctional. Wilson has traditionally gotten a lot of points by using his feet, but I think he's transitioning, the team is transitioning, and I prefer a guy like Carr who is young and on an upswing over a guy like Wilson. Wilson is probably safer, but I've already got Rodgers as a safe guy: I think Carr is more likely to pitch a 4+-TD 300+ yard game multiple times a season, and in best ball, that's the high upside you want for your second QB.

I originally was gonna take a tight end here, but only if Kelce or Reed were still available.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6.07 #67 Latavius Murray
I dunno. He was fine in Oakland and capable of taking the same lead back role in Minnesota, a team with a lingering question mark at QB. I had a hard time picking between a handful of tempting RBs here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Previous history suggests the last five rounds will have a lot of kickers and DSTs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

7.06 #78 Mike Williams, LAC

A first round WR pick who will be targeted by Phillip Rivers. Still a risk, obviously... but the upside potential is there, and from the seventh round all I'm really looking for is upside potential. But I made my pick yesterday morning, and if I'd known there was gonna be a run on tight ends I might have grabbed one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

8.07 #91 David Njoku
Almost everyone has a tight end now except me, so I guess I better grab one huh? Well OK I'll take this first round rookie draft pick guy on the Browns!

In all seriousness though, the Browns got rid of Barnidge so they're all in on this guy being their pass-catching outlet for whoever the hell is the QB in Cleveland. Which might be Brock Osweiler, concievably, a man who loved to dump the ball off to his safety blanket tight ends all last season.

Maybe this will be a bust pick, I dunno, but gently caress it I don't really want zach ertz so it's this guy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm.

I decided to do some cool analysis to answer this question. So, here is every tight end drafted in the first or second round, 2006-2016:

pre:
year	round	name			team		school		games 	catches/yards/TDs	Notes
2016	2	Hunter Henry		Chargers	Arkansas	15	36/478/8		TE1 Antonio Gates was injured part of 2016
2015	2	Maxx Williams		Ravens		Minnesota	14	32/268/1		Injured, IR oct 2016
2014	1	Eric Ebron		Lions		North Carolina	13	25/248/1
2014	2	Austin Seferian-Jenkins	Buccaneers	Washington	9	21/221/2		injured, IR dec 2014
2014	2	Jace Amaro		Jets		Texas Tech	14	38/345/2		
2014	2	Troy Niklas		Cardinals	Notre Dame	7	3/38/0			blocking TE
2013	1	Tyler Eifert		Bengals		Notre Dame	15	39/445/2
2013	2	Zach Ertz		Eagles		Stanford	16	36/469/4
2013	2	Gavin Escobar		Cowboys		San Diego State	16	9/134/2			was supposed to be a catching TE
2013	2	Vance McDonald		49ers		Rice		15	8/119/0			TE2 behind Vernon Davis
2012	2	Coby Fleener		Colts		Stanford	12	26/281/2		
2011	2	Kyle Rudolph		Vikings		Notre Dame	15	26/249/3		recovering from hammy, thrown to by Christian Ponder
2011	2	Lance Kendricks		Rams		Wisconsin	15	28/352/0		rams
2010	1	Jermaine Gresham	Bengals		Oklahoma	15	52/471/4		franchise record catches by rookie TE
2010	2	Rob Gronkowski		Patriots	Arizona		16	42/546/10		lol
2009	1	Brandon Pettigrew	Lions		Oklahoma State	11	31/352/2		Injured, IR Dec 1st 2009
2009	2	Richard Quinn		Broncos		North Carolina	15	0/0/0			never actually played any of these games
2008	1	Dustin Keller		Jets		Purdue		16	48/535/3		Brett Favre
2008	2	John Carlson		Seahawks	Notre Dame	16	55/627/5		Seahawks had many WR injuries this year
2008	2	Fred Davis		Redskins	USC		11	3/27/0			Barely played, was a fuckup
2008	2	Martellus Bennett	Cowboys		Texas A&M	16	20/283/4		Played behind Jason Witten
2007	1	Greg Olsen		Bears		Miami (FL)	14	39/391/2		injured knee, missed first two games
2007	2	Zach Miller		Raiders		Arizona State	16	44/444/3		No, the other Zach Miller, not the one still playing
2006	1	Vernon Davis		49ers		Maryland	10	20/265/3		Injured Sept 06, fractured fibula, returned Nov 19
2006	1	Marcedes Lewis		Jaguars		UCLA		15	13/126/1		Blocked more than catches, but was drafted to catch. Lol jags
2006	2	Joe Klopfenstein	Rams		Colorado	16	20/226/1		lol rams
2006	2	Anthony Fasano		Cowboys		Notre Dame	16	14/126/0		Primarily blocked, behind TE Jason Witten
I would say that first and second round TE draft picks frequently make a meaningful contribution. My gut feel is that they bust no more often than other 1st and 2nd round rookies bust.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was surprised he fell this far, actually. I agree with taking matty ice ahead of him, but I would have taken Prescott over Mariota, and maybe Cousins.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Jordan Matthews as your WR4 is an excellent pick, actually. He's young, healthy, and is just as likely as anyone to give you two big games this year, which is all you could ask for in best ball format from your WR4.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tiptoes posted:

I would disagree with your conclusion. Only three guys exceeded 500 yards (Gronk, Keller, Carlson) and only three exceeded 4 TDs (Henry, Gronk, Carlson). You might get a spike week from a rookie here or there but what's Njoku's realistic ceiling in year 1? Like 400 yards and a couple TDs? It's not that guys are busts as rookies; TE is just one of the harder offensive positions to make an immediate impact. Even Gronk looks pretty human aside from his Gronk-ian rate of scoring TDs. They need to stand out as reliable red zone weapons to be fantasy relevant. OJ Howard MIGHT do that; he's the best TE to come out in years and landed with the best QB of the bunch. Still wouldn't take him in the top 10 rounds though. And I'm highly doubtful that Njoku or Evan Engram will make impacts as fantasy players even though I think both can turn in solid rookie campaigns from just a regular football perspective.

Jordan Matthews will turn out to be a fine pick.

After he's traded to the Ravens.

I think you and I might have different expectations for how a TE outside of the top five guys in the league can be anticipated to perform.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I'm sort of coming around to my TE pick was bad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

9.06 #102 Randall Cobb

I don't actually like Randy Cobb. He sometimes is good though and so he's my WR4.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Martin was near the top of my next pick list, yeah. I think he has three more games to sit out, but pocket hamster is gonna be fine after that I assume. I also had some hope for Gore falling to me. He's hella old, but old man Gore just keeps chugging.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

10.07 #115 Rob Kelley

Basically,

Tiptoes posted:

[I don't put any stock in Rob Kelley's status as the incumbent. He's a former UDFA they got lucky with but nothing more than an average talent really. They seem pretty high on Perine right away so I believe the starting job will be his easily. Which should translate to some nice volume on an above-average offense.

I disagree, but not strongly. I think there's at least a chance Rob Kelley keeps his job, or at worst, slips to #2 and still gets regular usage. Maybe Perine will blow everyone away, but... yeah, most guys turn out not to be Ezekiel Elliot.

Meanwhile, Kelley averaged 4.2 YPC last year, his rookie season... that's better than just an "average talent" in my book. And a fourth round RB is insurance, not selling the farm for a guaranteed starter.

All that said: I had Gore, Martin, and Powell all higher on my list for my next RB pick, and I'm not as sure of Kelley as I'd like to be. But he's my RB3 behind Lamar Miller and Latavius Murray, so if I get even just like two or three good games this year out of him, that's fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hah, I was sooo close to taking jamaal charles instead of rob kelley. High risk... but my god, the upside potential

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sataere posted:

I was eyeing Charles too. I feel like he still has some gas left in the tank.

I had him on a team last year and it was ridiculous. During the pre-season he was supposed to be ready for week 1. Then on week one he was nearly there, just another week or two... and again and again, all loving goddamn season. So everyone is gunshy. He should still have gas in the tank... but jesus, going through that will sure put you off a player.

Tenth round is amazing if he plays at all, but I decided I already had risk at RB, I just needed a safer pick.

Charles could be a league-busting winner though, he really could.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

11.06 #126 Jack Doyle, TE IND

He was good for 585 yards and 5 TDs as the TE2. Now he's the TE1. I call that usable upside and maybe a safe floor, since my first TE is such a risky rookie etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If someone had sniped Doyle, Ebron was my next pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tyrell is a great pick here. He was at the top of my autodraft list. J-stew was on it too, although not at the top... I think eleventh round is about right for him.

• Locked thread