Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Lemme in this bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also let's not all forget that it's loving May right now. Everything is unclear.

The first round will surely solidify as we get closer to when real drafts typically happen. That being said, your guesses now are probably just as valid as those guesses. heyooooooo

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sataere posted:

Also, for those of you not posting about your picks, you are doing it wrong.

You right, sorry

1.05 - Antonio Brown

Certifiable stud. I don't usually like to go WR in the first round, but AB has proven himself to be elite for the last 4 years. Also as others have mentioned there's a long dropoff between elite and boom/bust RBs right now and I'd rather go with a sure thing* when I'm that high up in the draft order.
*as sure a thing as we can get in this stupid sports betting game

2.08 - DeMarco Murray

I HATE getting left behind on RBs because I'm historically pretty bad at picking the correct 2nd tier and boom/bust guys that end up panning out. So I decided I'd definitely grab a RB in round two and DeMarco had the best track record + current situation of anybody available at this particular 2.08.

I mean I'm not exactly doing any weird science just yet but Sataere is right, half the fun is in the sharing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah what the hell, I'll take a shot on

3.05 - Leonard Fournette

Partially because of the endorsement in this thread, partially because he's the highest ranked RB available ADP-wise right now, and partially because he could make a real impact in Jacksonville where there's not much competition for the spot. I typically don't like taking rookies this early in the draft, and now I'm seeing he has a history of injuries? But I'm willing to take some risks in a slow draft best ball situation, and despite infamously knowing very little about incoming draft classes, I actually do recognize this guy's name so that's got to mean something.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sataere posted:

Mr. Not Wayne Gretzky taking his time. :v:

Oops! My B, thanks for the nudge. That turnaround really snuck up on me.

4.08 - Golden Tate
Definitely getting into the real guesswork rounds for RBs and WRs. Tate is an undeniable first look for Matt Stafford and he's got a very decent track record in Detroit.

5.05 - Cam Newton
What can I say. I'm a Panthers fan and I definitely let that affect my pick. I mean don't get me wrong...2015 league MVP, tons of rushing yards and rushing TDs, freakish talent, blah blah blah...he's good of course. But he's probably more of a risk than he's worth in fantasy this year, especially coming straight into the season recovering from shoulder surgery. I just can't help myself.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
6.08 - Adrian Peterson

Welp, let's see what happens!

Leperflesh posted:

I had a hard time picking between a handful of tempting RBs here.

Same

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
7.05 - Jimmy Graham

Instead of just sitting here thinking of the best way to summarize a CBS Sports article I found on Rotoworld,

"Rotoworld posted:

Speaking at the Pro Bowl, Graham confirmed his return from a torn patellar tendon was as arduous as possible, but that he's long since turned the corner, as evidenced by his excellent season. "Everything's in the rear view," he said. "So imagine how I played this year. I mean, I barely practiced ... just to be ready for the games." Graham tapered as the year wore on, but averaged a career-best 14.2 yards per catch. His 923 yards were his most since 2013. Although he's now on the wrong side of 30, Graham should remain a TE1 for 2017.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
8.08 - Dak Prescott

The way I see it, a best ball format means having a high producer at every position is important, and that definitely shouldn't exclude QB play. I'll have 5-6 RBs, 5-6 WRs...more likely to get lucky with some lower round picks there. But with QB, if I try to have one stud (which Cam is iffy as I've admitted) and that's it, I'm going to be sunk if something happens. So I'm investing in another potential starter QB somewhat early in the draft as insurance at that position.

That being said, I honestly don't know much about Dak except that he was a rookie last year, won the starting QB job over Romo, and the Cowboys looked really good during regular season. That combined with his relative ADP, and I dunno...he must be doing something right. Welcome to the team Dak.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
9.05 - Meredith Cameron
Honestly don't remember hearing about this guy last year. Wasn't he a rookie who started to emerge late last season? A little roto-research led me to choose him out of the available options.

10.08 - Jamaal Charles
I feel like I'm at the point with my roster where it's time to start scouting out interesting boom/bust candidates in hopes that 1 or 2 will pan out. I was pretty surprised to scroll down the draft list to see that Jamaal Charles was still available, so yeah! Now I have Jimmy Graham and Jamaal Charles on my team. 2013 timp would be losing his mind right now

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tiptoes posted:

I try to take these slow drafts as seriously as possible but I'm far more interested in the process than the end result. It is literally impossible for me to care enough to draft multiple kickers. I just can't do it.

I used to feel the same way

Then I won one of these one year :getin:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

please don't hate me :ohdear:

Yeah, I almost gave you a heads up before you got to my team so you'd know, but Trubisky was an auto pick that I didn't get to in time. That would have probably been a 3rd DST or possibly a WR if there was one on the board that I liked.

But I agree that this team is very boom/bust. That strategy has won me one of these slow drafts before, and what the hell, it's do or die, right? Nothing to lose so I might as well go big. Especially since it's so early. I tend to replace legit research and predictions with wild brand name recognition in these stages.

And lastly, in regards to your grades and overall analysis, I'll simply leave you with my favorite response to any FF criticism: We'll just have to wait and see, now won't we? :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Boy I did a really bad job on this one

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

I (Anvil of Crom) bounce between fantastic and horrible weeks. Top score week 2, bottom scores weeks 3 and 4. Stop getting injured you bastards :argh:

I've mostly been down this season, but a couple weeks ago I was the points leader like, out of nowhere. The Best Ball aspect really does change everything about how you need to think about assembling a team, and nevermind the fact that we all drafted like 4 months before the season started.

Had a bit of fun browsing through this page today: https://www51.myfantasyleague.com/2017/weekly?L=60657&W=6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Hah, I just did that yesterday myself. Was thinking of doing a mid-season writeup based on the preseason writeups I did, see how well I predicted success etc.
Would anyone care about that?

Yeah I'd be into it!

• Locked thread