Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Waiting on RisqueBarber.

I was at least hoping for people to get through their first round before instituting a 24 hour pick clock. If I don't see anything before 8PM EST tomorrow I'll force a pick and move on.

:cmon:

Sorry everyone, I was at a wedding.

Took OBJ then an hour later forgot the giants picked up Brandon Marshall. Hope it works out.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tiptoes posted:

1.10 Dez Bryant
2.03 Devonta Freeman

Even after his injuries, I doubt I'll be dropping Dez any in my rankings. He's just too good at finding the end zone and ought to get fed in year 2 of the Dak Prescott Era.

I hope you're right but I think Dak will have an RG3 kind of second year

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tiptoes posted:

What worries you about Dak? Dallas' system offers a lot of stability and protection for him so I'm not real worried about regression. Plus he didn't destroy his knee like RG3 did.

I think he'll be given more to do and the Cowboys have a tough schedule. First 5 games are:

Vs. Giants
@Broncos
@Cardinals
vs. Rams (trash)
vs. Packers.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'd like to trade my 51st pick (5.03). I'm asking for a 7th and a 9th. Any takers?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'll do it, I need to stock up on these mid round WRs.
I've got pick 4 so you'd get back to back picks in 7 and 9

Sounds good. Beer?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Glad I got Kelce in the 4th. I actually think he'll be better than Gronk this year and be the #1 TE

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

RisqueBarber you're up.

Picked

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

Powell in the 8th seems like a steal.

My running backs are Todd Gurley and Bilal Powell

:tif:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I HAVE A JOB

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

e. Also, lol at the four of you who still only have one QB

Drafting a second QB? I remember my first draft.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

This is Best Ball, not a normal league. If you only draft one QB, you'll get zero points on his bye week and you'd better hope he scores great every other week.

But it's an interesting approach! There's always tradeoffs, maybe you'll make up the difference with a deeper bench at other positions. :)

*drafts QB*

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

DICKS DICKS DICKS etc./Risquebarber

QBs: D+
Hoo boy. Andy Luck is a lottery ticket at this point, right? Once the golden boy who was going to save the world, we've now seen that Luck is no guarantee; he has tons of potential, but the Colts are often bad and sometimes terrible, and Luck is coming off shoulder surgery. As a QB1 he's a gamble, basically, and Risquebarber has backed him up with not one but two rookies: Patrick Mahomes, a man who Kansas City can afford to develop for at least a full year behind Alex Smith if they want (and they probably want)... and Deshaun Watson, who Texas might well decide to develop for a full year behind Tom Savage. Either of these guys has a shot at starting, and both are on teams where if they do start, they could score some points... but it's just as likely that neither one starts, and that makes this three increasinly dangerous gambles at QB slots. To me that's the worst sin: spending three draft slots on QBs and not winding up with a single solid backup guy who can give the team a safe floor.

RBs: C
Here is a team with no certain RB1. The best guy of the bunch is Todd Gurley, a man on a rebuilding team with new coaching who maybe could be great, but maybe he's just merely good. Bilal Powell is supposedly eclipsing ageing Matt Forte, and he's shown he's got the chops to do it, but while Forte hangs on, Powell can't hope to put together a 1000 yard season. He gets some upside from passing work, but loses it to the tendency to use Forte (or maybe someon else) for goal-line work. Next up is Theo Riddick, coming off wrist surgeries to probably just back up Ameer Abdullah, with Matt Asiata now a Lion possibly for goal line work. I mean, maybe? But probably Riddick is still a RB2 this year with little TD potential and unlikely to break 500 yards. C.J. Prosise will get some touches in Seattle, but that situation is shaping up to be a comittee and Thomas Rawls is too good for Prosise to really steal all of his carries. I think we're looking at a hot hand thing there. Finally we have Devontae booker, who probably shouldn't even be owned unless you're convinced Jamaal Charles is actually done (which maybe he is, yeah), and rookie D'Onta Foreman, who could well beat out Alfred Blue for the RB2 job in Texas, but that's not guaranteed and that's second fiddle to Lamar Miller. There's only one overlap at bye week and it's not an important one (Riddick and Foreman), so I think what we have here are some high-upside gambles with Powell and Gurley, some low-upside gambles with Prosise and Riddick, and some longshots with Foreman and Booker. There's no safe pick in the bunch, and that's not a good way to spend all six of your RB picks. I would have liked to see a solid safe RB1 choice mixed in with all the backups and risky plays.

WRs: B
Seven WRs including OBJ and Brandin Cooks as solid WR1 and 2 choices. Cooks is a Patriot now but he should still be featured. Corey Coleman and Tyler Lockett should both be solid, if unreliable, WR2 guys who will have a few big score weeks. Josh Doctson lost his rookie year to recovering from injury, but there's lots of upside potential there if he's as good as his draft spot suggested. Then there's a couple of rookies, Corey Davis and JuJu Smith-Schuster. Davis may be the WR2 in Tennesee, unless Tajae Sharpe or Rishard Matthews are, so his actual role isn't clear yet but there's a chance he shines. Smith-Schuster has maybe just as tough competition but a better WR, but he's basically the same deal: maybe he'll be the slot guy or maybe Eli Rogers beats him and he is a benchwarmer. All told though I like this set of WRs with one drawback; two have week 8 byes, and three week 9; and there's seven of them, while RB, QB, and D/ST are all weak.

TEs: B
Travis Kelce is as sure of a thing at TE as you can get; even better than Gronk in terms of injury risk vs. on-field potential. Charles Clay is a perfectly good TE2 to own, and taking a third TE just in case is a good idea for this oft-injured position. Adam Shaheen is a rookie in Chicago, though, and behind both Zach Miller and Dion Sims. He just hasn't got the lottery ticket potential given his situation, so why spend the slot? I'd give Risquebarber an A if he'd grabbed a veteran option like a Will Tye or even an Antonio Gates instead: worse, Risque drafted Shaheen before Clay, in the 19th round.

D/STs: C
The cardinals are a very good defense. But there's only the one D/ST on this team, which is... not good. It'll be a zero on week 8, and there will surely be other poor showings, and the free slot was used, presumably, on one of the several redundant not-great RBs, the extra lottery ticket QB, or the extra rookie third string Chicago tight end.

OVERALL GRADE: C
This is a team that has weaknesses sufficient to overcome its strengths. If Risquebarber is lucky, he could crack the top six, but in my judgement he's got zero chance at a win. The strongest spots are at WR and TE, but a weak QB corps and a missing D/ST sabotages the team, and the lackluster RB set is unlikely to boost the team into contention.

This is great. I feel the same about my team. I didn't know we needed two defenses until was too late. I understand slow draft now.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

timp posted:

Boy I did a really bad job on this one

Same. I drafted Patrick Mahomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

My team, Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks, is on a tear with Gurley and Deshaun

• Locked thread