Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I was surprised he fell this far, actually. I agree with taking matty ice ahead of him, but I would have taken Prescott over Mariota, and maybe Cousins.

Since I took Mariota over him, I think you are wrong. :colbert:

Whoever drafted Jordan Matthews, come in here and defend your pick so we can mock you for taking Jordan Matthews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

I did.

Carson Wentz is going to improve, there will be attention on Jeffries. Matthews feels like a safe bet for 800+ yards and a few weeks with a td or two. I don't like John Brown, that new charger guy, Cobb, Ross, Marquis, Meredith, nor Thielen, but I think I needed a 4th wr because that's my weak spot. So Matthews felt right. Feel free to tear me apart, constructively, that's why we do these early exercises

I almost picked DeAngelo Williams because i have LeVeon. I was really close, then I did some googling and found out that Williams is no longer a steeler.

On the one hand, you present a very sound argument. On the other hand, lol Jordan Matthews.

The pick is fine at this point. I just hate Jordan Matthews

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I'm sort of coming around to my TE pick was bad.

I understand your argument regarding best ball. But the problem is it's still way too early and there was better value.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RisqueBarber posted:

My running backs are Todd Gurley and Bilal Powell

:tif:

You're up again. :)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

coronaball posted:

9.07 Blount

Well I drafted him like 80 spots above his ADP, but I think today's news validates that. He should have most/all the early down and goal line work in PHI with little to no competition. He probably won't be what he was with the Pats, but he should still be an RB2.

Yeah, if that signing happened before any of our picks, he ends up on our team. Happy signing day!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Doug Martin was incredible value, even with the suspension. There is no real competition he's facing on that roster.

John Brown is also underrated in my opinion. He's really good and his season was derailed by health issues out of his control last year. But there is no way he would've fallen this far in last year's draft and I think he's poised to make the leap we all expected him to make last year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Martin was near the top of my next pick list, yeah. I think he has three more games to sit out, but pocket hamster is gonna be fine after that I assume. I also had some hope for Gore falling to me. He's hella old, but old man Gore just keeps chugging.

Gore is a guy I will keep drafting regardless of age until he proves me wrong. I just missed him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

VietCampo posted:

Man i had Martin ready to be picked and in swoops Sataere.

Though i'm not too mad about grabbing Woodhead, he's getting pretty old and coming off a major injury, but with Dixon's suspension, i'm thinking Woodhead will dominated 3rd down work and a good chunk of redzone work. Solid pick in best ball i think.

I had him ready in the previous two rounds, but Benjamin falling was too good and I got scared I'd lose a quarterback and took Mariota.

Honestly, I am loving my draft. I can't wait until week four when half my roster is on IR and someone quotes this.

Also, how did Shepherd drop so far. I'm not as high on him as some, but his ADP is way too low. I considered him over Brown, but I had to go with my gut.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

VietCampo posted:

Probably the addition of Brandon Marshall causing it.

I understand the reason. I am saying that the drop is too big. He's a second year player who had a solid rookie year and should be seeing some great match ups. He is seriously undervalued.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I was eyeing Charles too. I feel like he still has some gas left in the tank.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

I want to believe in Charles still... but Chiefs doctors were apparently recommending he should retire. :(

Yeah, but he was saying they were not listening to him about issues he was having in his rehab. He made it seem like their recommendation to retire was because they didn't want to pay him.

He burned me too, but in the tenth round, he's the ideal boom/bust candidate. If he's healthy, he's the starter. But it's all or nothing. But I'm a gambler!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RisqueBarber?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, drafting fantasy football teams three months before the season! :argh:

sorry, I'm bored at work today

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Risque, I wasn't trying to nag. I just noticed that the last couple times you responded immediately to forums posts, so I was just letting you know you were up. Sorry if it came off douchy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, I was hoping the irrational hate for Ebron would let him fall to me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

Thielen, Doyle, and Ebron are all good value this round.

I really hope Doyle's ADP can stay this low. It's still early but so far, he's one of my favorite targets when waiting on TE. Ebron is also a better target this year than last. Still think it'll be more like another incremental gain than true jump to breakout status but he'll bring real TE1 upside this year.

Ebron is way undervalued. The only reason he didn't finish in the top five is because he was hurt. Of course, he is always hurt, which is why you shouldn't draft him in the top five. But he's a great flyer.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

Ebron's red zone target share isn't great is my only hangup with him now. That'll probably keep him out of the Top 5 even if he's healthy. If the RBs weren't as involved in the Lions passing game as they are, his TD upside would be much higher. But things are spread too thin between all the position groups.

I agree, but he was getting a lot of targets in the passing game before he got hurt, which just means more opportunities.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I was hoping to go Tannehill/Tyrod for my picks, since I am nervous about Mariota and wanted to cover my bases.

As for Stewart, frankly I'm surprised he lasted this long. I think Mccaffery is going to be a more passing / 3rd down back and we'll see Stewart more as the feature back.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

12.05 - Kenny Britt

Coming off of a 1000 year season in spite of a lovely QB, Kenny Britt may very well repeat the process with another lovely QB. Here's hoping.

Part of me thinks this is a solid speculative pick. The other part had been burned by Kenny Britt.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

He was top of my queue for a while.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think Maclin is way undervalued. One bad year in a player who has been consistent throughout his career deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If I hadn't grabbed so many receivers early, I probably would have taken him much earlier.

This is my favorite type of value pick, because it pays off so regularly. Even when it doesn't become a home run, it still is frequently great draft positional value.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

VietCampo posted:

Yea i would've grabbed Maclin if i didn't already have like 6 WR2's already, he lasted longer than i thought he would.

I had Marlon Mack ahead of him and I gave strong consideration to Williams, but McDermott feels like he is going to completely torpedo the Bills. I think there is a strong chance that he goes full Josh McDaniels there.

Has that dictator bullshit even worked in the last ten years? I don't include Bellichek, because Bill plays it cool when he does it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

VietCampo posted:

Yea i had Mack above Williams, but i'll take Williams with McCoy's hammys.

If I had McCoy, I would have grabbed him too. I feel like handcuffs are more important in best ball.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

coronaball posted:

I'm going camping tomorrow and I doubt my phone will work there. You can just autodraft best player available for me if I take too long.

Or we could pause until Memorial Day is over.

I think pausing for the weekend is fine.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 27, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Please tell me that beer doesnt also own maclin

gently caress. I was pretty excited about his value. I still think he lands somewhere, but the cap hit they are absorbing to do this makes me nervous

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

coronaball posted:

17.07 Jared Cook :siren:

This format makes him palatable. There will be weeks when he is my TE1. There will not be more than 4 of these weeks. They will be impossible to predict. And, most certainly, none of them will come back to back.

:argh:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

1) Beer sets 24 hour timer
2) Beer's wife is on the clock
3) Beer's wife has time expire
4) Beer sleeps on couch

Please subscribe to my fan fiction.

I know she still has plenty of time, I just love the idea of Beer being in the dog house for fantasy football

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Because I have been slacking.

14.02 Dion Lewis
Great fifth RB value for PPR. In a time share, but should have a few good games to make it worthwhile in best ball format.

15.11KCC DEF
Been a top fantasy defense for a couple years, with great special teams play. Defenses started going here and this was as good as any.

16.02Zach Miller
Was a great producer last year until he got hurt. Solid #2 TE in best ball.

17.11NYG DEF
Nice stacked defense. Lots of talent. Should be able to generate pressure and hopefully turnovers. I think they are gonna have some big, individual games.

18.02C.J. Fiedorowicz
I needed a third TE and he felt like the safest option.

19.11CHI DEF
Everyone wondering why the Bears didn't address defense much in free agency is ignoring what they did the year prior. There is a lot of young depth being developed and I am banking on Vic Fangio remaining one of the top defensive coordinators in the league. Homer pick

20.02Mike Glennon
Third quarterback. Gonna be a starter. Just in case Mariota and Tannehill die. Will probably need to air it out a lot.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I feel like being three deep at QB, TE and DEF is essential to succeeding in best ball format. I think my strategy ended up being flawed throughout, because I always felt like I was chasing with certain picks. I hate when I feel like I'm the last guy grabbing players on a positional run.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm fine with my draft, but I am nervous about my RB health/depth. Would feel better with one more.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I was happy with the Doug Martin value at the time, but the more I hear about how much he's turned a corner, the more I feel like he's going to bust hard.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

The Glennophant Man/Sataere

On QB, there was a run before Mariota dropped to me, which sucked hard, so I doubled down to protect myself. As for Glennon, I think he's starting the year. John Fox will want a veteran. I feel he's a good hedge.

For RB, I pretty much agree with you on it being scary thin. Dion Lewis is a guy I like with a decent PPR floor. Stewart was value. Crowell is good, but I'm not completely sold. Martin scares me, but his value was too good. Howard is the only guy I'm comfortable with. I think he has a high floor and high ceiling. I don't think it's homerism either. I saw him last year and he's just good.

My WR depth is why my RB and QB depth sucks :v:

TE is fine. Zach Miller Is A TE1 when healthy. I will enjoy the five games I get from him. He's a glorified receiver.

DEF I disagree. KC has been top five consistently and with ST touchdowns and Tyreek Hill, I feel comfortable with them. Giants DEF is stacked and I feel they provide a good balance. I wanted a third DEF because DEF is really inconsistent year to year. I'm just betting on Vic Fangio. It's a swing for the fences lottery pick.

EDIT: I think you are pretty on point. Just laying out my logic

Sataere fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm glad you guys seem to like my draft. I'm going to get into my process a bit on why my team looks the way it does.

This is my first slow draft, but I find that it is very similar in format to the Cheating for Charity league and I treated my approach as such.

The nice thing about the beer league is that it isn't as important that you have the top tier players at their position. Having boom/bust guys balanced with floor guys can really allow for tons of big scores.

I think this de-emphasizes the quarterback position even more than it already is. Because all you need is a couple second level tier players to provide points. Three starting quarterbacks is optimal, because you give yourself the best opportunity for someone to hit, while providing a safety net at floor.

I use that same approach for defense and tight end. With defense, I think having three options is important also, because defense can provide a decent chunk of points on a weekly basis if you get the top one. The problem is defense is hard to predict from year to year. KC has Toub and Hill, so I feel they add a special teams element and they've been good. NYG has so much talent, especially across their front line. Chicago has invested a ton of capital into their front seven and have one of the best defensive coordinators, so they are a nice upside pick. And once again, I just need one of three to gave a big week on a given week.

For TE, I just wanted a guy who has been consistently good and guys to back him up that see targets and are clear number ones.

Running back and wide receiver were interesting. My running back depth suffered because I tended to draft for floor instead of ceiling. In my first eight picks, I only took Howard in the first and Crowell in the first. I wanted more running backs early, but the quality of receiver talent trumped it. And frankly, half the running backs are going to miss significant time. In best ball, I'd rather my talent be on the receiving side.

My roster composition was deliberate, although I would have preferred one more running back. But hedging injuries is very important to success, in my opinion.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 21, 2017

• Locked thread