Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

a bone to pick posted:

look at this idiot who never saw total recall

I did but wasn't a huge fan. I almost liked the newer one better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorrschach
Apr 26, 2017

by Smythe
Prometheus would've been watchable with Richard Attenborough narrating.

Alien 3 is the best Alien movie.

Movies are all poo poo these days.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJX-_Wdp88A

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

The Management posted:

The plot of Prometheus was unmitigated garbage. Nothing about it made sense and the characters acted idiotically the whole time. It ended up being both stupid and boring.

actually lost is a widely loved show ur brain is just not taking its daily doctor recommended dose of colorado cannabis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Les Os posted:

Prometheus is a great send up of the golden age of science fiction. The film is filled with an overwhelming sense of dread as these characters delve deeper into the secrets of an ancient civilization of gods alien in their relation to us but which the film alludes to as being the equivalent of a great mother cat freaking out and eating her young only in this scenario the mom feline hates her offspring and everything they represent. The scale of the world the story inhabits can only be described as cyclopean and the scenery recalls the painted covers of pulp space novels. The most striking image in the movie, an astronaut bursting into flames, is heavy with allusion to a type of storytelling which looked up at the heavens and found in the expanse of the cosmos a disturbing madness

this is a terrible loving post

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not allowed to debate Prometheus online anymore, due to a rage incident related court order, but gently caress you if you think the movie was bad. It wasn't​ perfect but it was nowhere NEAR as bad as many people make it out to be. A lot of the criticism is also COMPLETLY unfounded and shows a misunderstanding of the plot and characters.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
i thought prometheus was eerie and interesting and good

as they say theres no accounting for goon taste because they have none

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
I would happily tolerate a great number of minor plot niggles in a film that has a tone, establishes it well, and doesn't feel the need to have something jump out on you every two minutes.

Prometheus genuinely left me feeling unsettled in a way that none of the Alien sequels do, it is a real existential/body horror that made my skin crawl. The scene where Noomi Rapace performs a c-section on herself deservedly gets a lot of attention but I think my favourite moment is when the old guy wakes the Engineer. The thing looks at this grasping, violent, selfish little old man and his android buddy with a mix of love, disappointment, and fear, and then answers their existential questions by murdering the poo poo out of them.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

this is a terrible loving post

hey buddy go suck a dick or add to the discussion

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Les Os posted:

hey buddy go suck a dick or add to the discussion

prometheus was bad

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sexual and/or parenthood imagery? Oh wow look at this deep musing on man's place in the cosmos and whether we can ever truly escape our daddy issues.

It has a deep message of... uh... erm... space is scary much like the, uh, adult world is to a child!!!! Groundbreaking sci fi!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

David was a good character though. And the music was really good

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just make a whole movie about David and Elizabeth exploring their human / android relationship. The nature of humanity, sentience, emotions, things like that.

All the other characters are basically just in the way and should be killed off immediately, if not sooner.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Prometheus was the best sci-fi comedy since Galaxy Quest. This new one had me at the oh-so-happy "this is a ship of couples" line in the trailer, I look forward to seeing what David does with these chumps.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Prometheus was the best sci-fi comedy since Galaxy Quest. This new one had me at the oh-so-happy "this is a ship of couples" line in the trailer, I look forward to seeing what David does with these chumps.

Another movie about humans getting face hosed by alien monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BycvfcIIqWc

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Strategic Tea posted:

Sexual and/or parenthood imagery? Oh wow look at this deep musing on man's place in the cosmos and whether we can ever truly escape our daddy issues.

It has a deep message of... uh... erm... space is scary much like the, uh, adult world is to a child!!!! Groundbreaking sci fi!

what exactly is the deep philosophical meaning of alien huh

how about you stfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

David: if an android Wishes to be more human, could he not then be called a mandroid?

(There is a pause as all the other crew members NOD and PONDER THOUGHTFULLY)

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Prometheus is good as gently caress, idiots. Covenant looks like it will follow suit nicely

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

prometheus was bad

Millions of Crows posted:

Damon Lindelof co wrote it so it was shitted up with basic bitch christian mythology like everything that hack writes.
Lost, the Leftovers feature the same non-mysteries and stupid characters and shallow overblown bullshit.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It was well made but the utter shittiness of the script ruins the movie entirely

bio force ape
Apr 3, 2016
I had abdominal surgery one time. It was excruciating, and I couldn't sit up for like two or three days. I lol'd when I saw her up and running after a Space Abortion.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, the strong Christian themes of how God hates us and we were an accident.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

maybe it's the ultimate feminist movie since it's about a queen indirectly face loving guys to death.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bio force ape posted:

I had abdominal surgery one time. It was excruciating, and I couldn't sit up for like two or three days. I lol'd when I saw her up and running after a Space Abortion.

It's called an adrenaline high and it's supposed to allow you to keep moving and fighting after you've been hosed up by a mammoth or giant sloth. I've once broken my ankle without noticing it, thanks to the magic of adrenaline. :allears:

It gets even better if you get a good dose of morphine and amphetamine from the cute medpod

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also points off for no Fassbender dick goodness

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It was well made but the utter shittiness of the script ruins the movie entirely

Ridley knew.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Prometheus was dogshit and the only reason you could even call it science fiction is because it had a spaceship. Watch good movies, retard.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
None of the characters are likeable except for the captain.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I liked it because there were some interesting visuals and also I hated nearly every character and enjoyed watching them die/almost die horribly.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Gotta wonder what kind of financial mess Scott got himself into that he's making followups to his first feature films at almost 80 years old

Why can't he make a sequel to Legend instead

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Labes for days posted:

I liked it because there were some interesting visuals and also I hated nearly every character and enjoyed watching them die/almost die horribly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BflyFD7ULR4

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

they should stop landing on the alien planet and being surprised when they all get eaten

also the bad lady should have run to the side

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Prometheus was okay. Nothin special really.

I'll just say that Avatar is a lovely sci-fi flick, and is completely forgettable. Someone needs to stop Cameron from releasing 18 sequels to that turd fest.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

etalian posted:

Also points off for no Fassbender dick goodness

hell I'd watch Shame in space

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Do some people feel that if they don't rush to the defense of a bad sci-fi movie, they'll stop making them at all?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

people who liked lost are basically bugs in my eyes.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
compared to avatar prometheus is citizen kane.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

WhyteRyce posted:

Do some people feel that if they don't rush to the defense of a bad sci-fi movie, they'll stop making them at all?

Fine by me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is Lindelof involved in this film at all in any way?

If not, there's hope for this. I still think Ridley is a fantastic director - visually, Prometheus is great (with the exception of some really ropy CGI) but his ability to identify a lovely garbage fire script seems to have been lost.

It's best watched as a farce with a really great backdrop.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I get feeling protective of Scott because he's the only one keeping Alien alive but you can temper down your defense of that bad movie

• Locked thread