Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
at the climax of the film a really smart dog teaches the predators about friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Jose Mengelez posted:

at the climax of the film a really smart dog teaches the predators about friendship.
#rufftimesatrigemounthight

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
https://youtu.be/TMdDBr3nnE4

The best piece of Alien content

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Maldoror posted:

Screenshot of Engineers from Alien Covenant, from the latest issue of Empire magazine.

I, for one, welcome the Jedi Engineers. Finally, we get the fusion of the two greatest cinematic masterpieces of the 21st century. Not even SMG has dreamt of something this magnificent.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maldoror posted:

Screenshot of Engineers from Alien Covenant, from the latest issue of Empire magazine.

He's going "nyaaaaaah" in a high-pitched whiney voice

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can't wait to see those fuckers get dissolved.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Have Blue posted:

Well done

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hopefully they fuckin engineer themselves some better fashion sense.

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

Have Blue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DIAnBby0Q

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Have Blue posted:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

what's gravity's place in sci-fi history? feels like its gonna be quickly forgotten. whats it take to be an alien, a 2001, a blade runner?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gravity isnt really a sci-fi as much as its a chase movie set in space

i enjoyed it for sure but its not scifi

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vegetable posted:

what's gravity's place in sci-fi history? feels like its gonna be quickly forgotten. whats it take to be an alien, a 2001, a blade runner?

Blade Runner was a bomb when it came out and only earned its reputation over time and had to find its audience.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

ruddiger posted:

Blade Runner was a bomb when it came out and only earned its reputation over time and had to find its audience.

And it has like 4 different cuts, the best of which is the director's/final cut

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

ruddiger posted:

To be fair, that was the summer of E.T., Tron, Fast Times, Poltergeist, The Thing, and Zapped.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The thing with Blade Runner is that it wasn't very well received when it came out because it isn't a very good movie

Over time, nerds from all over the world banded together to declare it a cinematic masterpiece, but it's really not.

It has super cool sets and a nice look and nothing else going for it

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Yeah as far as I can tell Blade Runner's name is still thrown around because it's what you use to quickly describe a 1980s dirty future cyber city with huge scary buildings and Asian influences. That sort of thing is just on nerd minds a lot and is rarely executed well, or even attempted.

I watched it when I was a kid and there are 3 things I remember: the black city with fire and Chinese ladies on tv screens, the glum android's speech in the rain at the end, and the uncomfortable bits about being told you're not helping a turtle, which somehow proves whether or not you have empathy. Those are the only parts anyone brings up from that movie so that's all anyone remembers.

edit: I remember other bits too! At one point the main character might get some lovely street food or something. And there was another android who was like a girl who did cartwheels and poo poo, I think she dies unremarkably, I dunno if she had lines or not. Blade Runner only really has one idea

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blade Runner sounds like an action movie title but it's not

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Alien Isolation games are pretty the best more recent Alien games to be released.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

etalian posted:

The Alien Isolation games are pretty the best more recent Alien games to be released.

Uhh did they make another one?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

etalian posted:

I heard it was excellent. I have it on Steam but I'm too afraid to play it. :ohdear:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's really good but takes a big downturn when the alien is shown to be capable of speech

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

oldpainless posted:

It's really good but takes a big downturn when the alien is shown to be capable of speech

I thought its taunts were pretty witty and incisive

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
The reviews are in, OP, and the answer is no.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Regarding Alien: Isolation. Steam seems to like it.

Overall rating of 91% of over 12,000 reviews. That's pretty loving good.

I'm still a big wuss though. I'll finish Colonial Marines sometime and then I'll play Isolation between the hours of 12:00pm and 2:00pm at the height of summer.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 7, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Regarding Alien: Isolation. Steam seems to like it.

Overall rating of 91% of over 12,000 reviews. That's pretty loving good.

I'm still a big wuss though. I'll finish Colonial Marines sometime and then I'll play Isolation between the hours of 12:00pm and 2:00pm at the height of summer.

it's pretty much the best somewhat newer Aliens game to come out.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Torquemada posted:

The reviews are in, OP, and the answer is no.
ACTUALLY early reviews coming in say the movie is going to be EVEN BETTER than prometheus

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Hurf de durf here's my GBS goon nerd guess at the plot after after watching all the trailers and poo poo so far.

Covenant takes place 30 years after Prometheus. Covenant is a ship full of couples on a mission to start a settlement on an Eden like planet.

In the latest trailer David says to Shaw he never experienced the compassion she shows him as she repairs him. He puts her to sleep, then some years pass before they arrive on the Engineer's homeworld. David learns all about the Engineers and decides they are bad and uncompassionate, as they were going to try to destroy the earth, so he takes it upon himself to destroy them (he was almost destroyed by one of them after all and all he did was translate). Maybe Shaw gets killed somehow and that pisses him off too. He releases the black goo and it wipes most of the Engineer's home planet out. (Remember how the Captain Janek said the black goo was probably placed in a military facility far away from the homeworld because it was so dangerous.) The earlier Covenant screenshot of the Engineers was probably them reacting to the black goo being released by David.

So, at least some of the Engineers survive and take it upon themselves to make the Xenomorphs, creatures that are specifically designed to wipe out human beings as efficiently as possible, and they seed the wrecked engineer's homeworld with eggs and spores and poo poo, and maybe also tweak the environment to look attractive to human settlers in an attempt to lure humans to the planet.

So, the Covenant lands on the Engineer's homeworld years after David's black goo apocalpyse, and they get attacked by Xenomorphs, and there's probably some kind of showdown between David and one or more Engineers.

Daniels is the only survivor and probably gets cocooned with a Xenomorph egg and takes it with her, and maybe an Engineer pursues her? Somehow an Engineer with a queen Xenomorph in its chest has to crash land on LV-426, where the queen will lay eggs on the ship and then the Nostromo will later find it and have no clue what any of it is. For the surviving Engineers I would guess their overall goal would be to get the Xenomorphs to Earth where they would wipe humanity out. They would probably want to wipe out every last human since their homeworld got destroyed by David, a product of humanity that they obviously see as an abomination.

:goonsay:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Guys land, monsters happen, turns out, CORPORATIONS are the real evil

A strong independent women wins in the end
- ever alien movie ever made

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seeing it today.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2017

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Watched the movie and liked it way better than Prometheus, seemed like a legit scifi filled with some really unsettling scenes.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

apparently the characters still act like scary movie teens :/ i'm still going to see it though

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just saw it. OK, that was fun and a lot better then I thought.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sunshine is better, even with the change in direction 2/3rds through.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Getting my hopes up Alien won't be horrible. Might take FRI off to check out a matinee even.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the 'metheus was sci-fi pulp at its finest and im really lookng forward to the new 'lien

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

"Actually I will have you know that Superman v Batman is the best scifi movie" - A CD poster

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i haven't seen Prometheus, but seeing how hyped people were before it came out and how little it's talked about now, it was probably astoundingly mediocre and forgettable. you know, like most movies these days

Maldoror posted:

He's apparently planning two more. The third is greenlit and is scheduled to begin filming in 2018. The two additional films are supposed to explain who made the Xenomorphs and why, and will set up the events leading to Alien. That's what I heard anyway.
you probably heard right because hollywood can't make enough origin stories

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

metheus is funny there is a scene wher a guy is poking his fingers at a "SPACE COBRA" and guess what he gets killed

i dont treat the movie as a scifi except in the broad terms of the genre

its got space ships and pew pew pew pew and aliens and

how can you not love fassbender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

how can you not love fassbender

:allears:

• Locked thread