Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

The grand saga that keeps unfolding.
The budget is about to be unveiled, the faltering emperor is attempting to sell it to the people and a sinister force is preparing to grab power in Queensland on the periphery.
With the threat of universal real estate going down the shitter, there seems to be no end to this madness.

Duke Bill Shorten of House Labor
Maneuvered into power by the unions shadowy forces, Duke Shorten seems to be the best hope to oust the emperor.
Not the most progressive force but that is overlooked when the current wielders of power is unhinged.
This of course assumes he doesn't slip up and his enemies failing to oppose him.

Rhinehart of the Mining Guilds
Behind the throne is the money of the minings guilds that flows into it's coffers.
Sometimes the guild is represented by the Adani's, the Shenhua, but most recognizably by the Rhinehart.
Having cut down a previous emperor, they show no qualms in doing whatever to keep damaging the universal environment and line their pockets.

Emperor Malcolm Turnbull of House Liberal
As a result of the disastrous leadership of Emperor Abbott, Turnbull was installed by the house.
What everyone didn't expect was for him to turn into a pale imitation of his predecessor.
Most recent is Turnbull's rejigging of the 457 Visa to win over the populace.
Will the upcoming budget serve as a trigger to remove him? Only time will tell.

Baron Barnaby Joyce of House National
The stooge of the current emperor that is meant to be representing the periphery.
Known for his outlandish antics such as advocating the genocide of Australian carp and relocating governmental departments to the fringe.
He is however facing off against a sinister force who claim that they can do his job better.

Di Natale of the Greensmen
Advocates of living a sustainable lifestyle with regard to the universal environment.
A worthy ally of House Labor depending on circumstances.
Di Natale however faces disunity from those who seek to abolish the current mode of universal rule all together.

Pauline Hanson of One Nation
The sinister force that hopes to disrupt the canon of Auspol and declare jihad on all not like them.
Emerging from the darkness they have come to peddle the worst kind of politics behind Hanson.
After a defeat in the universal west they look to the east to gain a major foothold.
Their campaign however recently encountered a hickup when it turned out they may have broken electoral law the rules of engagement which could lead to the full force of the empire being brought down on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Happy May Day!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Interesting choice of theme, how long did those shops take?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

ewe2 posted:

Interesting choice of theme, how long did those shops take?

Around 15 mins.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

No Turnbull you loving idiot, you only walk without rhythm if you don't want to attract the worm!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

The Turnbull government will slash university funding by hundreds of millions of dollars in the May budget while hiking student fees and requiring graduates to pay back their loans faster.

The government will justify the cuts by pointing to a major new report which found universities receive adequate funding for most courses they teach and that their revenues are growing faster than costs.

Despite pleas from universities that they cannot absorb any more cuts, Fairfax Media understands they will be hit with a new efficiency dividend of between 2 and 3 per cent to be phased in over several years.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham, who will address university and business leaders on Monday night, is expected to release the government's higher education reform package in coming days.

The pain will be shared between universities and students, who will see a rise in course fees and a lowering of the HECS repayment threshold from the current $52,000. It is understood the fee increases will be significantly lower than a speculated 25 per cent hike.

A 3.25 per cent efficiency dividend, originally proposed by Labor, would reduce university funding by approximately $900 million over four years.

The government will soften the blow by increasing funding for dentistry and veterinary science courses, which are expensive to teach. It will also finally abandon plans, introduced in the 2014 budget, to reduce university course funding by 20 per cent.

Senator Birmingham will on Monday release a new report, commissioned by the government, that provides the most detailed picture ever compiled of the cost of delivering university degrees.

The Deloitte Access Economics study found universities receive sufficient revenue – through government funding and student fees – to cover the cost of teaching most degrees.

For example, the average annual cost of providing an engineering degree was $22,514 per student in 2015 compared to total funding of $26,623 per student.

A clinical psychology degree cost universities an average of $13,528 a year to deliver while attracting $18,711 in total funding.

Two clear exceptions are dentistry and veterinary science, which the study found to be significantly underfunded.

Fairfax Media understands the government will provide top-up funding for these subjects in the budget through new loadings.

The Deloitte report, based on data from 17 universities, shows the average cost of delivery for universities increased by 9.5 per cent from 2010 to 2015 while revenue grew by 15 per cent.

"This independent analysis speaks for itself," Senator Birmingham said.

"Funding for our universities is at record levels, but it has grown above and beyond the costs of their operations.

"Universities have a vital role to play in Australia but many mums and dads are feeling the pinch of tighter budgets at home and want to know their tax dollars are being used effectively and efficiently."

Senator Birmingham said he would not pre-empt the announcement of his reform package but added: "In the context of a tight national budget, the Turnbull government is focused on getting the best return for every taxpayer dollar invested."

The Deloitte report notes that universities also use their teaching revenue to cross-subsidise research and other activities.

Universities Australia last week released a report showing universities and students have contributed $4 billion to reduce the deficit since 2011 and that further cuts could put some universities in a precarious position.

"Universities and their students have already done more than their fair share of budget repair," chief executive Belinda Robinson said.

"In this context, it is difficult to justify further cuts that would affect student affordability and put at risk the quality of education and research on which Australia's prosperity depends."

Universities recorded an average profit margin of 5.3 per cent in 2015, with the University of Sydney and University of Melbourne recording strong surpluses of $157 million and $141 million respectively.

Vice-chancellor salaries have also soared over recent years, with nine vice-chancellors receiving annual pay packets over $1 million.

The government will also on Monday release an implementation plan on measures to increase the transparency of university admissions.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Finally we are dealing with the real issues in this country: an overly educated population with student loan debts that aren't harsh enough to pay for such hubris.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Ground floor of the thread during the month when the world ends (probably (maybe)).

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Awesome OP. Shame it was wasted on such a poo poo topic. Nuke us Kim Jong Il - You're our only hope

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the vegemite must flow

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Sorry to interrupt your usual shitposting but I bring this important announcement

The AFR posted:

Government can build better, cheaper infrastructure than private sector: Morrison

Treasurer Scott Morrison says governments can build infrastructure projects more cheaply and effectively than the private sector, justifying the "good debt" focus of his second budget that next week will foreshadow a turning point to "better times" for Australian households.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Australian Financial Review, Mr Morrison expressed cautious optimism that international ratings agencies would retain Australia's AAA sovereign credit rating given his "very high goal" of keeping to the projected return to budget to balance by 2021.

He said Sydney's apartment market was "already turning" due to prudential controls on bank lending to investors that were flexible enough to avoid a "hard landing" for housing.

And he suggested the "very encouraging" economic news from the US, Europe and Asia could relieve the frustration of Australians over unexpectedly low wages and income growth since the global financial crisis eight years ago.

This positioned Australians for "the end phase of what has been a pretty long road for them".

"All of that sacrifice is going to be soon worth it so long as we keep making the right choices," he said. "After all all these years of really hard slog, not long to go now."

Mr Morrison's focus on "good" government debt to fund infrastructure projects fits in with his stated aims for the budget: to promote more and better paid jobs, to support government services and to tackle cost-of-living or low wage growth pressures.

"There are some projects that the private sector will never get off the ground because the risks are just too great," he told the Financial Review. "We have no interest in crowding out private sector investment but nor do we have great interest in paying large sums of money to manage public risk – which they will charge us more for than we can do ourselves."

The federal government has decided to give itself the option of large-scale borrowing for big infrastructure projects while still trying to protect its budget bottom line by reclassifying debt as good or bad depending on what it is used for.

Key projects to be at least partly funded in this way are expected to include an inland rail link between Melbourne and Brisbane as well as the new airport at Badgerys Creek in Sydney, given the reluctance of Sydney Airport Corporation to proceed on the government's terms.

While an "infrastructure budget" focused on productivity-boosting projects is generally popular with economists and even the Reserve Bank of Australia, there is concern the government's choices will be dictated more by political interests rather than economic criteria.

But, according to the Treasurer, projects with a long lead-time and no cash flow coming in mean the private sector must have the capital sitting dormant while also trying to manage the various regulatory, zoning, pricing and planning risks.

"That's a lot of risk for a private sector proponent to manage and if they are doing it, they have got to price all of that risk into the project," he said. "Government will price that risk quite differently because we have a different capability to manage all of it.

"Sometimes they [the private sector] are better to be the take-out purchaser. When you get into an operation phase, they are 10 times better at that. But if they have to absorb too much of the initial cost because the cost of their risk is greater, that just puts more pressure on them at the other end when the revenue starts to run."

The government's argument is that because these projects will ultimately generate an income stream, they do not need to be included in estimates of the budget balance – similar to the model for the National Broadband Network. It will also establish a new Infrastructure Financing Unit in the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet to help advise and structure finance for projects.

The budget focus on infrastructure and assistance on housing affordability, including limited use of pre-tax income to accumulate first home deposits, are designed to give new momentum to the Turnbull government and to boost its stocks with disgruntled voters as well as boosting the economy.

In a pre-budget interview, the Treasurer dismissed criticism there is already considerable private sector capital available for investable infrastructure projects, saying there has been "no end of people" telling him this but the projects "just sit on a list" while the issue gets kicked around for 20 years.

"So how do they get from being on a list to actually happening?" he said. "Well, governments do something.

"That is what actually starts to convert something that is important into an actual project which is happening …

"Creating that expertise, that skill-set within the Commonwealth [means] that can actually be a participant in these projects, not just sign a cheque and kick the money out the door and wait for the next one which has been the traditional role of Commonwealth infrastructure."

Mr Morrison said he was taking every step and action he could to ensure Australia retains its AAA credit rating, and that external creditors are continuing to buy and indeed to oversubscribe to government bonds at a good price. But the ratings agencies have made it clear spending must generate an economic return that supports the government's ability to repay the debt.

The Melbourne-Brisbane inland rail link – while a perennial favourite of the Nationals – is widely regarded as a very expensive freight option providing limited economic benefit and a dubious long-term return on investment.

It is not one of Infrastructure Australia's seven "high priority" projects and AFR Weekend revealed it was the price demanded by Nationals leader, Barnaby Joyce, for not withdrawing his party's support for the government taking on building a second Sydney airport.

The Treasurer said it was not helpful to think about funding infrastructure projects "in absolutes".

"It is about what project and what role using what vehicles," he said. "We are always looking proactively at the difference we can make and where we think we can make that difference, well, we would be in a position to do that."

The states have traditionally taken the major role in building infrastructure but even under an active NSW Liberal government, congestion and population growth have meant building lags well behind community demands for more, especially in transport infrastructure.

Mr Morrison said the Abbott government's asset recycling program that paid states a bonus percentage of proceeds from their privatised assets if invested in infrastructure had been an excellent initiative but was expensive and had run its course. The Turnbull government ended the funding.

"It took forever for some of the states to actually sell the assets and some of them did and some of them didn't," Mr Morrison said.

"NSW certainly benefited from it and Victoria did, ultimately."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

There you have it. The LNP admits giving public projects to the private sector is a waste of money.

I mean it'll be brushed over soon as it's convenient for them to sell another public asset to a mate for cents on the dollar. But still.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That is what the nebulous 'good / bad' rhetoric is for. Fund the stuff the private sector isn't willing to stump up for and as soon as it looks profitable sell it off for less than it is worth. Taxpayers get to foot all the risk and reap none of the reward. Just like God intended.

Unions and Airtasker reach agreement to bring payments inline with the award [SMH]. They're trying to work something out for workers comp coverage too.

That is basically the article in a nutshell and figured it was too early to start spamming walls of text.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I really can't understand why the libs thought good debt/bad debt would help them. Theyre the only ones who bring it up. And they're not going to win the next election anyway. Basically just gave away their ability to whinge about debt.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Happy May Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

:ussr:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Ahahahhahaha, comedy gold itt.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Top OP, looking forward to losing my job when the Uni cuts come through

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

remember how we were going to become a nation of innovators and STEM and poo poo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Top OP, looking forward to losing my job when the Uni cuts come through

Same here, gotta love the idiotic view the government has "Well Universities have been making profits". Yeah well they have, to cover shortfalls in funding that Howard, Gillard and now Turnbull are bringing in.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Good to see the government targeting those who really need to contribute more to society: uni students

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ten Becquerels posted:

Good to see the government targeting those who really need to contribute more to society: uni students

Pretty sure that abolishing compulsory student unions was a master-stroke by Howard that allowed future governments to gently caress with students at will

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I really can't understand why the libs thought good debt/bad debt would help them. Theyre the only ones who bring it up. And they're not going to win the next election anyway. Basically just gave away their ability to whinge about debt.

Nothing else has worked, and they've already blown right through "bizarre poo poo Barnaby came up with" as well

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/858829079734136833

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/858829362916753408

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Glad to know that doing deals with Barnaby Joyce is what will lead us to economic ruin.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Those uni students should have thought about it a bit harder before they started running Nazis free speech off their campuses. This is the only way to make them see sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Please explain this to me.

As in, is this meaningful or just like "look at Simon in university" or whatever?

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 1, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's cutting University funding and putting up fees.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Please explain this to me.

As in, is this meaningful or just like "look at Simon in university" or whatever?

Simon Birmingham is the Federal Minister for Education who is pretty well back tracking on his student union values.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Cutting uni funding and hiking student fees is insane. They're making a profit while being government funded, big whoop. Our economy is based on highly skilled and educated workers and consumer goods and services. Why would you try to discourage both?

Free education now, of course, but if you're going to be a capitalist, do it loving properly. My uni lost 2 campuses recently because of this poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Every student political party is a scam with a catchy name like regeneration, or GO! or whatever.

E: I misread the thing lmao

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 1, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/858800691782930433

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

This certainly is a take

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The SMH posted:

Mark Latham stood at the back of the room in jacket and jeans listening intently to a workshop on "alternative media". In a little room above Sydney's University of Technology, a group of YouTube commentators - who usually hide behind pseudonyms - had come to show their faces and share their ideas for taking on the mainstream.

The mission, said moderator James Fox Higgins, was to "make libertarianism sexy". The men - and men they all were - on the panel seemed to agree their cause suffered from an image problem: one of oddball keyboard warriors camped out in their underwear in their parents' basements.

"Us libertarians, we're not that cool," admitted Dylan Thomas, known online as "truediltom". Perhaps to prove the point, Sven Lowe - who works on YouTube channel The Rational Rise with Mr Higgins - said he consumed "eight hours of YouTube content a day".

The Friedman Liberty Conference brought together leading libertarians from Australia and overseas for a three-day freedom fest, extolling the virtues of guns, drug legalisation and eliminating taxes.

But it was also a platform for self-styled "outsiders" of the far-right to step out of the shadows, culminating in a show-stopping double-feature late on Sunday with Mr Latham, the former Labor leader, and Ross Cameron, the former federal MP who on Saturday lost his bid to rejoin the Liberal Party.

Mr Cameron, who made headlines in February when he headlined a far-right fundraiser and called the Liberal Party a "gay club", continued his crusade against the Herald, which he accused of photographing him unflatteringly.

Addressing the Herald's photographer in the room, Mr Cameron said: "His job is to take 100 photos of Mark Latham and Ross Cameron and make them look like f---wits."

Then Mr Cameron raised his arm into a Hitler salute and yelled, to whoops of approval: "Mate, if you want to come down now I'll give you the Nazi salute and you can f--- off to the pub."

The bias and failings of the mainstream media were a preoccupation of many speakers at the conference. But it was Mr Latham's critique of "identity politics" and the modern Labor Party which stirred the crowd to rapturous applause.

Mr Latham, who lost the 2004 election to John Howard, accused Labor of drifting from a pro-market, anti-establishment ethos to embrace political correctness and identity politics in a race to the Left with the Greens.

"The Labor Party's goal posts have moved much more than my position," he said. "They've abandoned meritocracy. Modern Labor is killing itself with the own-goal of identity politics.

"I've got an IQ of three figures and I'm not going to fall for this bullshit," he said to cheers.

Mr Latham, who has been shunned by most contemporary Labor figures and also fired from numerous commentary gigs including most recently Sky News, appeared to have found a new home at the libertarian love-in.

"That's the other thing I love about a libertarian conference – no matter what I say, you can't kick me out," he said.

The conference concluded with a screening of men's rights movement documentary The Red Pill, which Mr Latham said he found "dull".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is it just e or does Bill Shorten have the biggest election Ammo stockpile in modern history?

I mean sure, Rudd had Work choices but Shorten has this royal flush of Medicare, University Fees, gently caress the banks, proper NBN and high speed rail? Anything else? Seems like quite the warchest

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Bags of flour cant use ammunition Anidav, they just sit in the back of the pantry until the moths spawn to serve as airborne reminders to clean out the loving pantry. Get with the program

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Is it just e or does Bill Shorten have the biggest election Ammo stockpile in modern history?

I mean sure, Rudd had Work choices but Shorten has this royal flush of Medicare, University Fees, gently caress the banks, proper NBN and high speed rail? Anything else? Seems like quite the warchest

Meanwhile, Turnbull (or Dutton) has:

Almost the entire Australian media

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Last thread I posted about UQYLNP being batshit and wanting to reintroduce sedition. Buzzfeed picked up the story.

"Queensland Uni Liberal Students Want To Make It Against The Law To Criticise The Queen posted:

The University of Queensland Liberal National Club has passed a motion calling for the reintroduction of sedition laws in Australia that would make it a crime to criticise the Queen.

A member of the university's Liberal National Club who was present at Wednesday night's meeting has confirmed to BuzzFeed News the motion to reintroduction sedition was passed by a large majority .

The sedition motion was moved by first year Club members, in response to the launch of a republican movement on campus earlier this month.

BuzzFeed News understands the students behind the sedition push are from a faction of the club loyal to former Club president Kurt Tucker.

Last month Tucker was forced to resign after saying he would be a Nazi Party member if alive in 1930s Germany.

Hours after the motion passed, LNP Club members went on to lose a campus debate to the UQ Australian Republic Club.

Fellow University of Queensland students said the sedition motion is "ridiculous" and a niche issue that young people don't care about.

"We're worrying about our HECS debts, whether we'll ever be able to afford a house, and the undersupply of full time jobs in Queensland," Sinιad Canning, UQ student and Young Greens member said.

"No wonder the LNP's youth vote is tanking."

Historically, sedition laws have been used by governments or heads of state to suppress dissent.

In March 1949 Lawrence "Lance" Sharkey was convicted of uttering seditious words after telling a Sydney journalist that if "Soviet Forces in pursuit of aggressors entered Australia, Australian workers would welcome them".

In 1950 William Burns was sentenced to nine months of hard labour for publishing seditious words in a Communist Party newspaper; and in 1960 Brian Cooper was jailed for urging "the natives" of Papua New Guinea to demand independence from Australia.

No one has been successfully prosecuted under sedition laws in Australia since 1961.

The law was amended in 2005 to include terrorism offences, but in 2006 police ruled books promoting suicide bombings and anti-Australian conspiracies didn't breach the new laws.

The UQ LNP Club is no stranger to controversy.

In 2014 the club was criticised for hosting an asylum seeker themed pub crawl, celebrating 100 days of no boat arrivals under the Abbott Government's "stop the boats" border protection policy.

Current Club president Matthew Newcombe (pictured above) refused to answer BuzzFeed News' questions.

But the Federal Young Liberal President, Aiden Depiazzi said the Young Liberal Movement has a firm position in support of our Constitutional Monarchy.

"I wouldn't expect this policy to have wider support within our Movement - many of whom are arch monarchists and love the Queen," Depiazzi said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Meanwhile, Turnbull (or Dutton) has:

Almost the entire Australian media

As if the media is on side with Turnbull. They devoured Abbott almost exactly in line with public opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We don't want to leave a burden of dept to our children so we'll make them pay through the nose for higher education.

• Locked thread