Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I don't see how it's ABC's fault, they're just quoting the prosecutor :

quote:

Commonwealth prosecutor Paul Maguire SC told the committal hearing the gesture had "become known as the Islamic State salute".

That statement is also correct, considering jihadist groups use it all the time on their propaganda material, and the gesture has been associated as such in recent times in the West.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Spudd posted:

So it should be instead

Be on welfare in any way at all: bad

Although welfare for the rich: good

?

The article is complaining that people are getting payments for meeting mutual obligation requirements. There isn't much room for interpretation.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

HOT LEAKS: My grandparents have made the ISIS salute when they win at lawn bowls

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Recoome posted:

HOT LEAKS: My grandparents have made the ISIS salute when they win at lawn bowls

I think context is important, doing that symbol before a murder with references to international islamic terrorism doesn't leave much room for interpretation as to its meaning.

So calling it an ISIS salute doesn't seem wrong in that context. it's the difference between a swastiska used by a Jainist and one used by a Neonazi.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 1, 2017

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This uni thing - it is weird to me that whenever its hits the media, the literal cost of the degree is all they talk about. Despite the current government's attempts to gut it, HECS is still a pretty great system, and when I think about returning to uni (which I am) the cost consideration has nothing to do with the ultimate HECS repayments, and everything to do with the skinflint Austudy payments of $437 a fortnight (less than Newstart, wtf!), which starts getting reduced as soon as you start working part-time.

I understand that most Australians go to uni in their late teens or early 20s, and live with their parents while they do so. But for people who don't have that option, I don't really understand how you're supposed to get by on a smidgen over $300 a week (if you work part time as well). It puts people off going to university, which is in the long run a negative for everybody in the country, and all to squeeze and extra few pennies out of students while we still keep spewing money into coal subsidies and the Joint Strike Fighter. gently caress this government.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Another cool thing is that if you are on Newstart or whatever, going to uni doesn't exempt you from from meeting 25 hours per week to avoid being sent to Work For The Dole activities. So you can either switch to Austudy and get less money or hang out at Salvos instead of being able to study.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/DavidSharaz/status/858840993549885441

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

How the gently caress does an ex-rugby player screw that up?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/858973168727277570

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How the gently caress does an ex-rugby player screw that up?

Like everything else with Turnbull he's taking his lead from the hard right now rather than relying on his own knowledge.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cool, I'm only paying over half my income after tax on rent for a lovely unit in the outer suburbs and was looking for something to spend the remainder of my disposable income on

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Cool, I'm only paying over half my income after tax on rent for a lovely unit in the outer suburbs and was looking for something to spend the remainder of my disposable income on

Then you'll love this

https://twitter.com/DPlunky/status/858974851108708352

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't understand what that means

and I'll never learn because I can't afford to go to uni now

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

No worries, I'll just negatively gear enough properties until I'm making less than $37k

Or I dunno, emigrate

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

freebooter posted:

I don't understand what that means

and I'll never learn because I can't afford to go to uni now

For every dollar their income goes up they basically pay 97% tax because of tax breaks lost / help debt paid. Consider this a lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
And this is not even the most horrific things they want to inflict on all of us as the senate has hamstrung them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

No worries, I'll just negatively gear enough properties until I'm making less than $37k

Or I dunno, emigrate

Neither of those will work.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Now I legit regret going to Uni

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
That housing bubble burst is looking closer and closer.

It'd actually be pretty smart to try and rush a crash along - they know they aren't going to win the next election. The Libs should set it up so that it'll crash sooner rather than later, call an early election, and watch it go to poo poo under a Labor government so they can perpetuate "Libs = best ekonomik managers 4 eva!" I'd suggest it's what they're doing now but just lol @ the idea that they're planning that far ahead at all.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ora Tzo posted:

And this is not even the most horrific things they want to inflict on all of us as the senate has hamstrung them.

I wonder if the senate will kibosh this uni stuff as well. Worst case is Xenophon demands some anti gambling legislation in exchange for passing this poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So naively one might think "ooh welfare bashing too hard, lets bash the tertiary sector to save money instead" with this budget but it looks more like as well as revenue continues to shrink and the remaining cash is spent on missile defence and shunting federal departments around the country. How long can this go on?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

why won't emigrating work? I'll probably be a CA before it becomes feasible so I'm sure I can come up with some way of dodging HECS

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

For every $500 a year pay rise you get is a smashed avo at $14 a year you can treat yourself to. How awesome is that. $1000 pay rise and you can literally treat yourself once every blue moon.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Not even to countries without tax treaties with us?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
lmao this government is so hosed

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah watch Bill Shorten's Labor Party vote for this, and then gift us with another 4 years of The Trumbles.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
I'm figuring I should aim for an IBL next semester and do a decent enough job that the company keeps me around.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

why won't emigrating work? I'll probably be a CA before it becomes feasible so I'm sure I can come up with some way of dodging HECS

Apparently you have to report your worldwide income to the ATO lol.

Also what is she trying to say here?

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/858974380541452288

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

And how will they know if I accidentally underestimate my income by approximately 100%

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Also what is she trying to say here?

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/858974380541452288

She's trying to say "don't throw me in prison for all the fraud I've so obviously committed"

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Bogan King posted:

She's trying to say "don't throw me in prison for all the fraud I've so obviously committed"

Idiocy, it lead to One Nation's rise and then it lead to One Nation's fall?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Has the government acknowledged the risk of increasing HECS/HELP debt by forcing students to borrow more? Unpaid/unrecoverable HECS debts were supposedly at over 6 billion in 2013, and growing at ~1 billion a year back then.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

For some light hearted comedy in the interlude I present

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/847367739752693760

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/WMDsearcher/status/858985093246754816

The property developer is his sugar daddy? I dunno wtf

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Like I'm going to click on a link with Andrew Bolt talking to Rowan Dean that isn't also labelled "murder/suicide".

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah watch Bill Shorten's Labor Party vote for this, and then gift us with another 4 years of The Trumbles.

Why would they? They opposed the last lot of uni changes, and opposing the Coalition on education is something they could do in their sleep.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bogan King posted:

For some light hearted comedy in the interlude I present

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/847367739752693760

Where's the joke

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why would they? They opposed the last lot of uni changes, and opposing the Coalition on education is something they could do in their sleep.

So they've definately learnt their lesson from the disaster that was their attempt at the privatisation of tertiary education?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Haha nobody can get a graduate job after graduating so they're not paying the debt, clearly the solution is to tighten up the repayment threshold and not the broke as gently caress job market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

G-Spot Run posted:

Haha nobody can get a graduate job after graduating so they're not paying the debt, clearly the solution is to tighten up the repayment threshold and not the broke as gently caress job market

What we need is 100% Soviet style employment. Or you know acknowledgment job based capitalism is dead alongside globalisation.

• Locked thread