Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Recoome posted:

Where's the joke

Rowan Dean is Australias Greatest Satirist™. Sorry if he is too high brow for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ora Tzo posted:

So they've definately learnt their lesson from the disaster that was their attempt at the privatisation of tertiary education?

What does Labor have to gain by agreeing with the Coalition on this? Why would they agree to it this time when they didn't support the previous versions of it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What does Labor have to gain by agreeing with the Coalition on this? Why would they agree to it this time when they didn't support the previous versions of it?

On the one hand, you're completely correct, but on the other hand, ehhhhhh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://fundrazr.com/51EP39

guys the comments here are hilarious.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You're not wrong. Get in quick to read them before that drug smuggler's sister deletes more comments.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Waiting for them to break out the chestnut of that the headphones were to be secretly taken by a syndicate of baggage handlers, because right now they've said literally nothing on what was meant to happen with the head phones in the mysterious packaging once she got back. "My headphones are missing!" The alternative was she was to take them somwhere else first and yeah.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
The new Corby?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ABC Presenter on RN Drive tonight: "Why are Universities leaners and not lifters?"

I really wanted to hit the radio when I heard that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ora Tzo posted:

The new Corby?

Problem is in the last decade feelings have changed, especially as the years went on people realised "oh, she was guilty and here I look like a sucker". Schapelle also had the advantage of her drug was just weed, and it was in Indonesia a skip away. This one is in South America and the drug is not as sympathetically viewed.

If you want to be sympathetic in these, do the Michelle Leslie - be a literal model, pay off the judges, claim to convert to their religion and then never talk about it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Leslie

Lid fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 1, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
BREAKING NEWS: University graduates will be forced to pay back their HECS debts when they start earning just $42,000 a year and student fees will rise by 8 per cent under the Turnbull government's higher education changes.

The package presents a more measured approach than the Abbott government's disastrous 2014 budget - which proposed the full deregulation of university fees and a 20 per cent funding cut - but still carries political risk for the Coalition and will be difficult to get through the Senate.

The lowering of the HECS repayment threshold - down from the current $55,874 - is more dramatic than expected and will see almost 200,000 extra graduates dragged into the repayment system. The threshold was previously legislated to fall to $52,000 in coming years.

Universities will also be hit with funding cuts through a 2.5 per cent efficiency dividend designed to save the budget $2.8 billion over the next four years.

55k to 42k? Isn't that creeping Into casual work Territory?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

BREAKING NEWS: University graduates will be forced to pay back their HECS debts when they start earning just $42,000 a year and student fees will rise by 8 per cent under the Turnbull government's higher education changes.

The package presents a more measured approach than the Abbott government's disastrous 2014 budget - which proposed the full deregulation of university fees and a 20 per cent funding cut - but still carries political risk for the Coalition and will be difficult to get through the Senate.

The lowering of the HECS repayment threshold - down from the current $55,874 - is more dramatic than expected and will see almost 200,000 extra graduates dragged into the repayment system. The threshold was previously legislated to fall to $52,000 in coming years.

Universities will also be hit with funding cuts through a 2.5 per cent efficiency dividend designed to save the budget $2.8 billion over the next four years.

2000 hours per year at $21 per hour.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Drug charges are all bullshit and I blame the American government. But it always seems to be good-looking women who get the front pages long term. There've been a few people of East-Asian appearances with East-Asian names who got busted in places like Vietnam and you only hear of them once and never again.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

And how will they know if I accidentally underestimate my income by approximately 100%

It's still a sensible move because even if 95% of expats do that it leaves 5% of goody two shoes declaring their income, which is more money than the $0 they were drawing from expats before.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Les Affaires posted:

38 hours a week?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Okay so I'm watching qanda and I realised why I've long respected Barnaby Joyce, in general, even though I don't like him. I used to think it was because he sticks up for his beliefs, but actually plenty of conservatives do that. It's because he sticks up for his beliefs and explains them in a face-to-face way that most ordinary, reasonably people can parse. And that is so loving easy to do! Yet nobody else in Australian parliament, that I can think of, does that. Even the Greens are slaves to talking points and focus groups.

edit - OK as soon as I typed that he said "people up and down the street were furious about it," re: the Muslim ABC lady's Anzac comment who even I can't remember the name of, let alone the mums and dads up and down the street. Bu anyway, in general, for the most part, more or less, I respect Barnaby Joyce despite very much disliking him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Free speech is very important when it comes to critisizing Islam, but also if you say the bad words on Anzac day you should be fired.

Great insights from Q&A.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

40 hours a week for 50 weeks (which, sick days and xmas makes real). RIP Cafe Workers with HECS debts.

freebooter posted:

Okay so I'm watching qanda and I realised why I've long respected Barnaby Joyce, in general, even though I don't like him. I used to think it was because he sticks up for his beliefs, but actually plenty of conservatives do that. It's because he sticks up for his beliefs and explains them in a face-to-face way that most ordinary, reasonably people can parse. And that is so loving easy to do! Yet nobody else in Australian parliament, that I can think of, does that. Even the Greens are slaves to talking points and focus groups.

The strong point about not having particularly well thought out ideas is that you don't need to rearticulate them to fit a 15 second sound bite. I should know, I'm really good at having not particularly well thought out ideas.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

He responded to a question about uni rate with LABAH DEBT, I retract my comments

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

freebooter posted:

edit - OK as soon as I typed that he said "people up and down the street were furious about it," re: the Muslim ABC lady's Anzac comment who even I can't remember the name of, let alone the mums and dads up and down the street. Bu anyway, in general, for the most part, more or less, I respect Barnaby Joyce despite very much disliking him.

I had a similar begruding respect for Kevin Andrews. He was someone who looked evil, was a conservatice Christian through and through, but always believed and had reasoning for his positions. It didn't feel like he was off the cuff or overly focus tested but that he was exactly who he appeared to be, and purity like that is something that (during the short lived second Rudd prime ministership) was in short supply. Next to Abbott he looked positively genuine.

Edit: contrast with how deeply I respect Penny Wong but how much it literally hurt to watch her argue on QandA against same sex marriage because it was the party line. That was so painful.

Lid fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 1, 2017

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress he just said "baseload power"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm going to reorganise my respect for Joyce based around "occasionally goes off script." I guess that's all it takes in 2017.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Paying $420 a year on a $20,000 hecs debt means you will have paid it off in around 50 years. Give or take.

In the meantime that money which is most likely to go towards spending on food, rent, etc is instead going to offset other crap in the budget that wouldn't be missed by others who can afford it more readily.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's sad how hateful people are.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4661912.htm

Confirming what we suspected, turns out commercial news in Australia is literally just browsing Reddit for their stories with no fact checking :lol:

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

Les Affaires posted:

Paying $420 a year on a $20,000 hecs debt means you will have paid it off in around 50 years. Give or take.

In the meantime that money which is most likely to go towards spending on food, rent, etc is instead going to offset other crap in the budget that wouldn't be missed by others who can afford it more readily.

The indexation rate in 2015 was 2.1%, so indexation on a $20K HELP debt would have been... $420!

Beautiful.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Shunkymonky posted:

The indexation rate in 2015 was 2.1%, so indexation on a $20K HELP debt would have been... $420!

Beautiful.

if only the kids run a bit faster on the treadmill, they'll be able to get off of it!

(I'm someone who worked part time so I could pay my fees up front and get a 20% discount, back when HECS fees were something you could conceivably earn part time while living independently. gently caress I feel sorry for kids starting uni now, they're paying much more for a shittier education)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
As a South Australian it loving infuriates me to hear twits on Q&A say "We can see what happened in South Australia" and have absolutely nobody challenge them that neither of the SA blackouts had a single thing to do with renewable energy. They had to do with 1) hurricanes knocking out the transmission lines, and 2) AEMO failing to turn on enough generators.

South Australians were sitting in the dark, not even clear of the crisis, when Malcolm Turnbull starting using us as a tool to bludgeon renewables with. Having dickheads continue to use us as a fake example of a made-up problem is maddenning, and having nobody challenge it is even more so.

Where were the greenies on that panel? Plibersek was a disappointment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Queensland senator said Mr McNee — who financially supported One Nation — had not “donated” the plane to the party but admitted he had given it to Mr Ashby for his personal “business”.

“He didn’t donate the plane to James Ashby. Having met James, they became friends,” Senator Hanson told Sky News.

“Bill’s a developer and he ­actually has a lot of business that he does in Queensland, and Bill was continually looking around for a plane.

“He found out James was a pilot (and) he thought: “Here’s a great opportunity to actually have a plane and to actually ­use it as well.’

what is this i don't even?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

what is this i don't even?

Enemy Combatant Enhanced Interrogation Technique

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Schlesische posted:

The strong point about not having particularly well thought out ideas is that you don't need to rearticulate them to fit a 15 second sound bite. I should know, I'm really good at having not particularly well thought out ideas.

Contrast Joyce with someone like Hansen who's been a politician for decades and whose every idea is completely boneheaded yet she still struggles to recite basic statements.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

AgentF posted:

As a South Australian it loving infuriates me to hear twits on Q&A say "We can see what happened in South Australia" and have absolutely nobody challenge them that neither of the SA blackouts had a single thing to do with renewable energy. They had to do with 1) hurricanes knocking out the transmission lines, and 2) AEMO failing to turn on enough generators.
also, 3) AEMO/AER (I forget which) didn't maintain knowledge of the ride-through settings for wind generators, and 4) only fossil fuel generators were permitted to provide frequency control ancillary services. In other words, the organisation(s) responsible for ensuring the stability of the grid didn't know how some of its generators were configured, and wouldn't permit battery storage to provide resiliency. To their credit, this is changing.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

AgentF posted:

Where were the greenies on that panel? Plibersek was a disappointment.

I think it was Ludlam's communications manager who made the point (on Twitter) that no-one from the Greens has been invited onto the show in the last 6 months.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cheap Trick posted:

I think it was Ludlam's communications manager who made the point (on Twitter) that no-one from the Greens has been invited onto the show in the last 6 months.

It's your ABC.

*camera pans around to reveal room full of right wing conservatives*

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

That's probably the point. There's not enough students getting a decent job, let alone full time work of any kind so they just lower the threshold until everyone is paying it back regardless of how little they make. It's getting pretty close to the minimum wage actually.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You know those obvious "buy property at the height of the bubble" home investment propaganda pieces?

ABC is getting in on the act http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/brickx-startup-selling-shares-in-sydney-melbourne-properties/8487790

It reads more like an advertorial for a startup.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

That's probably the point. There's not enough students getting a decent job, let alone full time work of any kind so they just lower the threshold until everyone is paying it back regardless of how little they make. It's getting pretty close to the minimum wage actually.

Minimum wage is $34,980. As Birmingham pointed out on 730 it's 20% above minimum wage.

The Googles posted:

In 2014, the median starting salary for bachelor degree graduates aged less than 25 and in their first full-time employment was $52,500 (essentially unchanged from $52,450 in 2013, and $52,000 in 2012).

There should be a tax on companies that employ graduates for less than median wage as they're obviously leaners and not paying graduates enough to pay back HELP debt.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

A Federal Government trial restricting how Centrelink recipients can spend their money is costing taxpayers up to about $10,000 per participant.

The Cashless Debit Card quarantines 80 per cent of welfare and cannot pay for liquor, gambling or be used to withdraw cash.

The Coalition is looking to expand income management to more communities, with one MP pushing for 10 new trial sites to be announced in next week's budget.

Details released under the Freedom of Information show the pilot program is costing up to $18.9 million, excluding GST.

The Government is paying the debit card provider, Indue, at least $7.9 million, while the Social Service Department's administrative costs are $2.6 million.

A Government-funded report in March said about 1,850 people were covered by the trial.

The compulsory scheme began last year in two areas with large Aboriginal populations — Ceduna in South Australia and Western Australia's East Kimberley.

The preliminary report found a quarter of drinkers on the card reported consuming alcohol less often and about a third of gamblers had curbed the habit.

But it also showed one in two participants said their life was worse because of the card.

Human Services Minister Alan Tudge used the data to hail the card a "success" and last month told the ABC the Coalition was considering a further rollout.

"We just want to further consult with different regions in terms of their appetite for change," he said.

"And then we'll consult obviously internally and assess whether or not we should be progressing further with it."

Labor has reserved judgment on the possibility of expansion until a final evaluation is released mid-year.

But it has rejected the prospect of Australia-wide welfare quarantining.

"Labor does not believe that the cashless debit card should be rolled out nationally," Opposition social services spokeswoman Jenny Macklin said.

Ms Macklin and Labor's human services spokeswoman Linda Burney last month held consultations in the East Kimberley towns of Kununurra and Wyndham about the card.

How about we just give those poor people $2,500 payments in cash every quarter and let them improve the quality of their lives a bunch. This way we can feel good about helping people and it isn't costing us any extra money over what we're paying now for this crock of poo poo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bogan King posted:

How about we just give those poor people $2,500 payments in cash every quarter and let them improve the quality of their lives a bunch. This way we can feel good about helping people and it isn't costing us any extra money over what we're paying now for this crock of poo poo.

wash out your dirty mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Bogan King posted:

In case you didn't realise already the goal is to make miserable not improve their lives.

• Locked thread