Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
YLLS has a thread for whitewater kayaking, which is the downhill skiing of the nautical world. Here, we tackle headier subjects. Sea Kayaking. Big Kayaking. Kayaks longer than your car:

I worked on an intro for a few days and decided that megathread intros are dumb. I know jack-poo poo about Kayaking, really, and you shouldn't read about Kayaking from an SA thread intro anyways.

Go read Kayarchy.com for the nitty-gritty low-down on sea Kayaks. It's the best book on the subject which isn't printed onto trees.

This is an oldschool greenland style kayak:

This is a newschool touring kayak with a sail:

This is a surf ski, for people who get off on riding torpedos:

This is a packraft, an inflatable pool toy which can be taken anywhere! :airquote:

This is a collapsible kayak for really really financially idiotic yuppies:

Kijiji claims this is a kayak but I think it's not:

In summary: Kayaks. Kayarchy.com :magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
<Reserved for Expansion.>

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sea kayaking is grand, whale watching heightened by the possibility of getting mega owned by a casual bump

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Growing up in rural america, I did quite a lot of canoeing but I've only been sea kayaking once. It was all fun and games paddling around a protected bay, but once we got out into the open ocean it was intimidating has HELL.

I can't imagine getting within 100 meters of any charismatic mega-fauna: whale, shark, seal, or otherwise. Don't state and federal laws dictate you're supposed to stay away from the whales anyway?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't tell you, though I wouldn't be surprised. I can tell you, as a flatland canoer myself, that at every marine mammal encounter several members of our party would beat a hasty retreat, while others of us would linger briefly in awe before following suit.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Hey is this thread for packrafts too? We just ordered a pair and really looking forward to them getting here in a week or two.

We happened upon our first one in the wild yesterday on a small day hike, and the guy was positively beaming with happiness over it. :3:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kayaks, while not quite hang gliders, are kinda being abandoned. Packrafts, so hot right now. Four-figure pool toys :getin:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Good, hopefully the riff-raff stops making GBS threads up my coastline. :godwin:

Yeah, I had planned on some packrafts in the OP, as well as the funky origami boats. It's a big OP, the bigliest, takes time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Kayaks, while not quite hang gliders, are kinda being abandoned. Packrafts, so hot right now. Four-figure pool toys :getin:

One of my friends has one and manages to lug it up trails to lakes that were previously inaccessible to most paddlers, and I'm legit jealous.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
OP is done, unless anyone has further irreverent expansion suggestions.

There's like 20 feet of snow on all of my mountain haunts, so I've decided that this is a good year to finally get my paddle canada level 1 certification and VHF license. So good that I'm doing it in May, in a balmy 7* celcius ocean, whee!

:stoked:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got the flatwater kayaking cert from Paddle Canada as part of my degree, which was just pool work in a whitewater kayak, but it came in really handy when I was landing a tandem sit-on-top with my husband on a beach and a toddler ran right into our path. Braked on a dime and the kid got to keep his teeth. Learning the proper skills is worth it!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Here is a fishing kayak;

Kinda silly looking, but so much easier to drag around than a boat. Kayak fishing is becoming a huge deal now and I see guys in them every time I am out it seems.

Here are some crazy guys fishing right over some sharks in their kayaks;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbNMk7Y3ic

Also I bought a pair of packrafts last spring and have still never used them.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Also I bought a pair of packrafts last spring and have still never used them.

How much do you want for them?

I understand the thing where you buy the gear for the idea. I was married and on track to buy a pair of sea kayaks and have them collect dust. Instead I bought a single packraft off craigslist, and the next day learned first hand what swiftwater is. The story I tell is that I then sold it because I got spooked by that experience. However my buddy is probably correct that my selling it was more to do with marriage. I kept the proceeds from the boat sale in a box, thinking if the relationship went south that's my bug out bag. It was not nearly so dramatic but I am now divorced. Last season I borrowed half a dozen people's boats. I'm still not super enthralled by the activity itself, but it is for sure the social scene right now. Last week I bought my own again, and hit the same river I first tried. This weekend we are talking about a 4am trailhead start to ski to a river that might still be ice choked. Thank you for reading my boat story.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

How much do you want for them?

I understand the thing where you buy the gear for the idea. I was married and on track to buy a pair of sea kayaks and have them collect dust. Instead I bought a single packraft off craigslist, and the next day learned first hand what swiftwater is. The story I tell is that I then sold it because I got spooked by that experience. However my buddy is probably correct that my selling it was more to do with marriage. I kept the proceeds from the boat sale in a box, thinking if the relationship went south that's my bug out bag. It was not nearly so dramatic but I am now divorced. Last season I borrowed half a dozen people's boats. I'm still not super enthralled by the activity itself, but it is for sure the social scene right now. Last week I bought my own again, and hit the same river I first tried. This weekend we are talking about a 4am trailhead start to ski to a river that might still be ice choked. Thank you for reading my boat story.

Are you stoned in the woods right now?

Also I really want to use the things, but my hiking buddy and I have never remembered to mess round with them when he's at the house, and I really don't want to try to inflate these things for the first time at the side of the river.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Are you stoned in the woods right now?

Also I really want to use the things, but my hiking buddy and I have never remembered to mess round with them when he's at the house, and I really don't want to try to inflate these things for the first time at the side of the river.

Eternally, forever and amen

Dude, hit that poo poo. Blowing is easy, bring some tyvek if you're worried about a leak. Shred the gnar bra

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi kayaking goons. I bought what I think is a Pelican Trailblazer about 3 years ago and haven't used it once. Now that I have a house and it isn't sitting in a storage garage I plan on taking it out soon. Well, whenever Spring finally hits here in Wisconsin. :mad:

I only kayaked once before and that was in West Seattle which was pretty awesome. It was a tandem with my retarded ex-wife though so I'm sure it will be more interesting being able to control my own boat.

Here is what I have:

I know nothing about kayaking but I finally want to use it on some flatwater lakes. Welp, that's my story!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Look up videos on good paddling techniques. It's a lot more fun when you know how to really rock that paddle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

Eternally, forever and amen

Dude, hit that poo poo. Blowing is easy, bring some tyvek if you're worried about a leak. Shred the gnar bra

Blowing is not easy if you have been hiking and smoking dope all day. The grand plan was to use them to extend the range of our day hikes, so we could hike up river until we were tired and then just float back.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine recently got the Oru Coast sea Kayak, and it's actually pretty rad. The Oru is stupid expensive, but so is having a non-collapsable kayak in your NYC apartment sitting there not paying rent. Best part is, you can take it on a commuter train and hike to a lake with it... or just drop it in the hudson. I have no idea why anyone would get one outside of a city, though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Does NYC not have yacht/rowing clubs? I can store a full expedition here in Vancouver at Jericho for like $200/yr.

Have rolling / rescue classes tonight. Air temperature high of 8*, water temperature 6*. :captainpop:

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
We just got out our new packrafts this weekend. poo poo's pretty rad.
https://goo.gl/photos/8ZRSUhGcH8ouJXHc8

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rime posted:

Have rolling / rescue classes tonight. Air temperature high of 8*, water temperature 6*. :captainpop:
Celsius? Even then, :vince:

So, all the Oru Kayaks are 20% off right now at a bunch of places, so I finally caved and bought the Bay ST! :homebrew:

I'll post some pictures and stuff once I get it in and try it out.

Can't wait to take it on several overnight trips with some buddies later this year!

So, next steps are to find a PFD and good paddle... Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I'm assuming I'll need to register it as well (this is in Ohio)? I'm assuming I would eventually get fined even if it doesn't have a motor on it, right?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 21, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I suggest the finest greenland paddle money can buy, with curly maple inlay and a blade carving of your choice.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm poor but I'd like to get into kayaking. I have some calm protected bays and inlets, as well as bigger sounds and bays, pretty close to me.

I was thinking about the Intex Challenger K1 or K2. Thoughts? http://www.kayakerguide.com/intex-challenger-k1/

I also wondered... A one man is $90 and a two man is $110. I'm not entirely sure the girlfriend is gonna get into it. Is it possible to kayak the two man kayak by myself?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo that thing is $65 on Amazon. I think I might just grab one or two for transportability and to coerce a friend to go since I'll have a spare.

Sweet.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow, it's even cheap in Canada! That's going on my wishlist.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

OSU_Matthew posted:

So, next steps are to find a PFD and good paddle... Anyone have any recommendations?

I got an NRS Vapor to go with my new kayak. I'm pleased with it

Also those $60 Intex inflatables are great for spreading the Good News of kayaking with your friends. I keep a couple and some spare vests just for that

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Awesome. I read a couple of reviews saying they're great for the money but I am an easily duped newbie so I'm glad that the hive mind approves.

PS I looked into it a bit more and I found out that the seats on the 2 person version can basically be placed anywhere, and it's not that long a kayak, so definitely possible to kayak solo in the 2 person version.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This ones a good cheap boat too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C...8PcL&ref=plSrch

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

gently caress that, it doesn't come with a paddle. I'm buying the other one.

Actually, seriously. Right now. I'm buying two of those K1s. gently caress it.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Hi, it's me, the guy who is apparently an Intex viral marketing mole.

So, I ordered the Challenger K2 but Amazon shipped me the Explorer K2 instead. The price is more or less the same but do you think I should keep it or demand a return? If they're more or less a similar product, I would be inclined to keep it because I'd like to start tooling around in it...

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have acquired my paddle Canada level 1! :clap:

After experiencing how awesome it is to hardcore edge a kayak, and how fast this allows you to maneuver, I don't think I can ever go back to non-performance boats. :stare:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^ Not sure what that is but congrats!

My two Challenger 1s arrived today. Here we are:

The carry bag that it comes in.

The pieces inside after taking them out of the bag.

The package unraveled.

Infalated!!!

It seems pretty cool so far. I'm 5' 11" 185lbs and it's a bit tight but not bad. Well it's not really tight as much as I sit really high in it. I can probably change that by just not inflating the bottom of the seat. That would probably also help with the back support because if I lean back at all I just go all the way to the back. I also have no idea what that uninflated green thing is for. It seems to be a shape that would fit under the front cargo net, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish at all. Wait, now that I think about it, it's probably supposed to be inflated and shoved inside the bottom in front so there is something to put my feet against. Id' imagine you inflate it just the amount you need to be able to push off of. I also don't know what those 2 o-rings are for. They seem like they would fit on the paddle with some force but I don't know where they would go. If you haven't figured it out the directions are pretty awful.

Anyway. It seems like a nice toy for 65 loving dollars. :buddy:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 1, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The O-rings are drip guards for the paddle. Also that seat makes my back cry out in fear.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bongwizzard posted:

The O-rings are drip guards for the paddle. Also that seat makes my back cry out in fear.

Ah cool. Now I know what to do with them. Also, yeah. If I don't inflate the bottom part of the seat I'd probably get at least another 4-6" of support. Hopefully it will be enough.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh neat, since it holds your legs in you can kinda sorta edge a bit in that I bet.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Okay, I looked into it a bit (including looking at kayarchy) and I decided to indeed return the Explorer K2 for the Challenger K2 - the big issue was that the Explorer was too stubby/short. Even the Challenger K2 is on the short end even as a one person kayak. This means, however, that I have to live another week as a kayak-less subhuman. :(

That Challenger K1 looks pretty rad. I'm pretty stoked to try my kayak out when it arrives. ONE MORE WEEK!

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Taking a sea kayaking class next weekend. They recommend I bring a swimsuit to wear under a wetsuit but I only have boardshorts. Is that... is that OK?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I usually just wear underwear under mine, but if they're providing the suit then shorts will take a bit of the bag out and prevent it from "flushing" due to gaps in the body fit.

Swimshorts are better since they are a closer fit without a thick band at the waist, and you don't want anything to chafe while also having the wetsuit fit as skintight as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I've obviously never worn one, because my assumption was always that you were totally naked under wetsuit. Thinking about it for more than a second makes it seem obvious why that is not the case, for some reason I got that idea in my head somehow.

• Locked thread