Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I mean you can, just gotta have no shame about it. Fleece/wool under the wetsuit is great in the shoulder season for adding some warmth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Do NOT wear a rental wetsuit without underwear. I used to work at a dive shop and ... well I'm just gonna leave it there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a semi-drysuit for winter kayaking and I have hell of a time getting layering right. I have never tried to wear it nude before though.......

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Would the Intex Challenger K1 hold up on a relatively calm sea? I'm guessing even small surf would bend it up. If that's the case what's the cheapest analogous sea kayak?

bongwizzard posted:

I have a semi-drysuit for winter kayaking and I have hell of a time getting layering right. I have never tried to wear it nude before though.......

sounds sweaty and/or clammy.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Chard posted:

Would the Intex Challenger K1 hold up on a relatively calm sea? I'm guessing even small surf would bend it up. If that's the case what's the cheapest analogous sea kayak?

sounds sweaty and/or clammy.

Olld rotomolded sea kayaks can regularly be found on Craigslist for $300 and under. Just make sure it fits you correctly and you're good to go.

Only boomers, the wealthy, or the dumb buy new sea kayaks. They'll probably outlast our civilization.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'll post pictures of my home-built canoe/kayak hybrid. maybe I should make a thread in the DIY forums.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chard posted:

It really does seem pretty sturdy. Very thick plastic, but I don't know if I'd take it on the ocean. I mean, I've only kayaked once in my life and it was in the Pudget Sound I don't know much. I live right on Lake Michigan which is definitely oceanish with the waves, and you know.... being one of the biggest loving lakes in the world. I have a friend who's kayaked on it before a few times but I think I'll get a spray skirt and use my regular Pelican kayak that I've never used before as well on it.

I'm just planning on using this for small flat water lakes when I can't be arsed to hook up my regular one on my Subaru which is a bitch doing it by myself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
First time phone posting a pic so sorry if it's screwed​ up.

That's the Challenger K1 upside down since the winds were 40+ loving miles per hour. Note the grass/reeds at a +45 degree angle.

The drat thing worked wonderfully. I was amazed. I didn't inflate the bottom of the seat at all and I fit in there very well. I had some good back support unlike the previous pic I posted. The wind was an issue and the kayak is pretty light but overall it was very easy to handle.

For 65 bones I'd say get it if you need a spare for a friend or even if it's your first purchase and you don't want to spend a lot.

I'm pleased.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You took an inflatable kayak out in 40 mph winds? Are you insane?!?!? 20 knots is suggested as the "you might actually fuckin' die" cutoff for touring boats, and 40mph is around 34 knots. :stonk: :stonk:

I took a surf ski out for the afternoon. I wasn't wrong describing them as torpedoes that you ride on, the hull speed is pretty crazy. Got an unexpected distance up Indian Arm before turning around due to my hand blistering. Unstable as hell when the water gets choppy, but that just makes edging oh so very fun in soft conditions. Great for riding down swells, too. :haw:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hey now, imagine the kind of tailwind, imagine how drat fast you'll go!

Just don't do what happened to me when I was paddling through Canyonlands: the headwinds were so strong we were being blown upstream. That loving sucked. The waves moving upstream and sloshing us were pretty sizable too.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
How fat is too fat to start learning to kayak? Asking for a very fat friend who might also be me.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I've developed a pretty sizable beer belly. Looking to possibly buy a Challenger K1.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

IMO it's worth getting the Challenger K2 instead of the Challenger K1. It gives you the option of bringing a second person, or some gear. The seats attach by velcro, so you can easily just have one seat. It was pretty easy and stable to paddle my Challenger K2 by myself.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You're mostly never too fat to kayak so long as you fit into the open-top models, just consider a realistic turnaround time if you're leaving the shoreline.

The fitter you get, the farther out you can go!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

How fat is too fat to start learning to kayak? Asking for a very fat friend who might also be me.

Sit on top fishing kayaks can have like 400 pound weight ratings, so I guess the seat is the limiting factor.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

The Challenger K1 is rated to 220 lb. The Challenger K2 is rated to 400 lb. They'd probably be able to support a bit more weight but personally I wouldn't want to push the weight limits on something that keeps me afloat.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

I'm pretty fat and haven't had any issues with my zydeco 11. It's weight limit is 325lbs If I remember right. My buddy's sit on top has a weight limit of 325 as well.

Getting out of it is a bit awkward but at worst I end up getting wet. It might also be inexperience and clumsiness that's causing that issue.

I haven't had any issues with paddling. My arms were sore after the first few times out but stopped pretty quickly. Last time out I covered 3 miles throughout the day and had no issues. That was split up by a few hours of fishing though.

My kayak is rigged for fishing and I can reach and access its storage without issue even with the poles and lines. It was awkward accessing things behind me at first but I got past that once I became more comfortable in it.

I'd say main thing is don't let nervousness about your size hold you back. My kayak was an impulse buy because it was more than half off at EMS due to a ripped seat cover. My buddy held it for me and helped get me set up. It sat for over a year because a mix of nervousness and work sucking. I wish I started using it sooner.

Your best bet might be looking for a rental spot and just try some out. I'm rather inexperienced though so you'd have better luck asking others how to get started.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, I've been offered free kayak and canoe rental through my workplace. Does anyone have any tips in regards to paddling with a dog? It'll all be on a nice calm lake and a few ponds, only thing to worry about is trying to translate to the dog that there's no swimming allowed (due to the gators).

I'm thinking many dog treats and a good tie-down. She's fairly good with her sit-down-stay.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey now, imagine the kind of tailwind, imagine how drat fast you'll go!

Just don't do what happened to me when I was paddling through Canyonlands: the headwinds were so strong we were being blown upstream. That loving sucked. The waves moving upstream and sloshing us were pretty sizable too.

This is basically what we did. We'd power ourselves to the end of the lake that that the wind was coming from. It got easier the closer we got due to the terrain. Then we just turned around and did nothing. Just coasted along back to the launch. I was with my nephew so I played it safe and made us keep to a small area that was away from the cool stuff like beaver damns and otters and stuff. :( I didn't want our first time out ending in a serious disaster.

Now, I don't know what the sustained winds were but the gusts were really bad and caused damage around the local community, including a bonfire setting a garage with a racing car in it on fire. Yikes. I'm sure it was an illegal fire so those guys are hosed. We saw some older guy getting stuck downwind on the lake into high reeds but he made it out and back to the launch. So I figured, hey, if this dude can do it than so can I! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Since it's a flatwater lake the waves weren't too bad. Although I noticed myself struggling a bit more than my nephew since my kayak was much lighter.

To be honest I don't know how we did it. It really didn't seem too bad and that really shows how good that inflatable kayak is. However, it was still dangerous. Some dumbass let his 6 or so year old kid alone in a dingy and was screaming for us to get too him before he blew away. They ended up catching up to him on a dock and pulling him in.

Anyway. The Challenger K1 is cool in my book. Taking it out in very windy days, not the smartest thing I've done.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I missed that you were on a lake, risk of death probably significantly less than I'd suggested.

Sounds like a blast.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

As long as the lake isn't too cold, yeah. Paddlers seem to die a few times a year in the popular lakes here because they get hit with a sudden gust coming down the mountains and tip into near freezing water. If it was a prairie lake the chance of hypothermia would be significantly lessened. There's actually some pretty popular little beach areas due to the warmth of that water.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I've taken out my Challenger K2 a few times now, with a bunch of different friends. I asked the more experienced paddlers for their feedback. They were all pretty impressed by the stability and speed of the kayak, given that it's a fairly inexpensive inflatable. We managed to go a fair distance out and hit some small waves on purpose to see how the craft fared - it was pretty stable.

A few complaints:
1) When used as a two-person kayak, it's a bit short. The two paddles tend to clash a bit, which is a bit annoying. I kinda solved this by putting the front seat very far forward, but I (5'10" dude) was a bit cramped.
2) No rudder, although the skeg did keep the kayak reasonable straight.
3) Not possible to put a skirt on.

I also used it as a 1 person kayak by installing only one seat. It seemed a bit on the long side but it worked pretty well. If anything, it was a bit easier to handle when paddling solo.

For me, the coolest thing is that I was able to transport it by bike! Although I've only gone short-ish distances with it so far (about 30 minutes by bike)., I think it works fine on my cyclocross/light touring bike and I'd feel comfortable going longer distances with it to get to other areas. The main problem is that the bag it came with is not really durable, so I'm looking into getting a sturdier but still lightweight duffle bag.

All packed up and ready to go:

Inflated and ready to paddle, next to the bike for comparison (actually, I inflated it about 70% just to wash it off):

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

eviljelly posted:

The Challenger K1 is rated to 220 lb. The Challenger K2 is rated to 400 lb. They'd probably be able to support a bit more weight but personally I wouldn't want to push the weight limits on something that keeps me afloat.

Im about 275 and got the K2 for just me. It's nice for paddling around the shore of the lake and I can lay down in it and chill (6 foot 2), but I wouldn't want to take it out further than a couple hundred of feet where the real boats are.

I'll definitely want to upgrade for next year, but it's nice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What I like about the K1, which is basically it's selling point, is that it's extremely portable. I still haven't used my Pelican yet. When I went kayaking for the first time with my own stuff my nephew used it. Little bastard is like 6' 3" 227lbs. I really want to use that one and maybe get a spray skirt or something but it's just so drat difficult to mount it on my car by myself. Even with my nephew I had to jump on top of my car to secure it in place. With the K1 I can just grab the bag and go. I don't know how else to mount the kayak. I have the official Subaru aerobars and kayak mounts. It'd be a little easier if I had an outback since it's lower to the ground but my forester requires me at least to balance on the outside of my door or sometimes I have to step onto the seat without falling backwards. I suppose when there's a will there's a way. It just sucks because I'm lazy.

A conundrum indeed.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

omnibobb posted:

Im about 275 and got the K2 for just me. It's nice for paddling around the shore of the lake and I can lay down in it and chill (6 foot 2), but I wouldn't want to take it out further than a couple hundred of feet where the real boats are.

Can I ask you why you wouldn't take it more than a couple of hundred feet out? I'm a total noob at kayaking so I'm just wondering what makes this not suitable for going out a bit further. I've seen plenty of $700+ inflatable kayaks advertised at local kayak stores as seaworthy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What I like about the K1, which is basically it's selling point, is that it's extremely portable. I still haven't used my Pelican yet. When I went kayaking for the first time with my own stuff my nephew used it. Little bastard is like 6' 3" 227lbs. I really want to use that one and maybe get a spray skirt or something but it's just so drat difficult to mount it on my car by myself. Even with my nephew I had to jump on top of my car to secure it in place. With the K1 I can just grab the bag and go. I don't know how else to mount the kayak. I have the official Subaru aerobars and kayak mounts. It'd be a little easier if I had an outback since it's lower to the ground but my forester requires me at least to balance on the outside of my door or sometimes I have to step onto the seat without falling backwards. I suppose when there's a will there's a way. It just sucks because I'm lazy.

A conundrum indeed.

A lot of old rear end dudes manage to get 80lb fishing kayaks on their roofs, so it is possible. If you are not strong enough to straight up and set it on there then try lifting the bow onto the back of the car, then lifting the stern as you slide it onto the racks. A sent of carriers like this:

Can make it easier to guide the yack on straight.

If you can manage the weight, then look at j-cradles;

They make it super easy to pop it up and adjust and strap with the yak supported and stable.

Really look at any kayak or fishing forum and you will see a ton of products and a ton more diy tricks to make loading a boat easier.

I am going to go insane at some point and buy a beater minivan, gut it, and turn it into my Kayak Fishing Command Center, the idea being I can leave it rigged and loaded 24/7, which I know will translate into be using it a ton more often. But thus far have been too lazy to find a suitable van.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bongwizzard posted:

If you can manage the weight, then look at j-cradles;

They make it super easy to pop it up and adjust and strap with the yak supported and stable.

This is basically what I have. The straps just really suck. That's the part I have to jump on the roof for. They aren't attached to the rack so I have to wrap it around the kayak and it's difficult without jumping up there. I almost lost my kayak during that super windy day I mentioned. I tightened the poo poo out of it but honestly the wind just just too insane. The straps loosened enough and the kayak fell off the front rack but I caught it and managed to pull over.

This is my setup. I put this up there alone and as you can see I bought it at Dick's.

ninja edit: actually last time I mounted it with the rack facing outwards so that was probably a stupid idea. However it was much easier to get the kayak up there with the racks facing that way.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, first, do you have actual ratcheting straps or just friction ones? You want ratcheting ones, they are like $15 and will let you get a tighter hold and be less likely to loosen as you are driving. Once you get real straps then you need to figure out a way to make them easier to rig, I used to use looped pieces of paracord tied to the racks and replaced the hooks on my straps with small, but rated, carabiners. I could just clip the 'beaner into the loops and then tighten them down.

You also really want a pick line on the bow and stern, but I suspect if you get the straps set correctly they will never come loose. But pick lines are still a good idea. I am willing to bet that your car has hook points front and back.

Also, if the height of the rack is an issue, look at getting a little 2-step ladder to get you more height. Installing some grab handles on the yak would also be helpful, I bet that thing only weighs like 30-40lbs, but without being able to get a firm grip it will still be cumbersome as poo poo.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

eviljelly posted:

Can I ask you why you wouldn't take it more than a couple of hundred feet out? I'm a total noob at kayaking so I'm just wondering what makes this not suitable for going out a bit further. I've seen plenty of $700+ inflatable kayaks advertised at local kayak stores as seaworthy.

I felt it wasnt stable enough with all the weight in the back and the wake from big boats would come over the side.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, first, do you have actual ratcheting straps or just friction ones? You want ratcheting ones, they are like $15 and will let you get a tighter hold and be less likely to loosen as you are driving. Once you get real straps then you need to figure out a way to make them easier to rig, I used to use looped pieces of paracord tied to the racks and replaced the hooks on my straps with small, but rated, carabiners. I could just clip the 'beaner into the loops and then tighten them down.

You also really want a pick line on the bow and stern, but I suspect if you get the straps set correctly they will never come loose. But pick lines are still a good idea. I am willing to bet that your car has hook points front and back.

Also, if the height of the rack is an issue, look at getting a little 2-step ladder to get you more height. Installing some grab handles on the yak would also be helpful, I bet that thing only weighs like 30-40lbs, but without being able to get a firm grip it will still be cumbersome as poo poo.

I do have a ratchet set but they are really long. I suppose I can try to find some short ones if possible. Currently they are friction straps. Yeah the weight isn't so much an issue, but it sure is cumbersome with that weight distributed across a bulky 10 foot piece of plastic.

I never thought of a step stool. :cripes:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I do have a ratchet set but they are really long. I suppose I can try to find some short ones if possible. Currently they are friction straps. Yeah the weight isn't so much an issue, but it sure is cumbersome with that weight distributed across a bulky 10 foot piece of plastic.

I never thought of a step stool. :cripes:

Look up how to tie a "overhand on a bight" knot and use it to shorten your current straps if you need to. Handles are very easy to add to sit-in yaks, there are a ton of kits online.

Also no one thinks of a step stool, it is like the most common answer to the very common "How can I load my yak more easily" threads on every kayak forum. No one ever seems to think of it for some reason, myself included. I am assuming that you are not like 60+ so falling off a 2-step ladder isn't going to break your hip, but spend a little to get a nice sturdy one.

If you wanna spend a bunch there are all manner of assist devices out there, but most are a few hundred bucks.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm 34 so I'm old and have to worry about that hip. Actually my pic is on this page. I'm capable but it's just a pain in the rear end.

Basically I'm whining because it isn't easy as I want it to be.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I'm 34 so I'm old and have to worry about that hip. Actually my pic is on this page. I'm capable but it's just a pain in the rear end.

Basically I'm whining because it isn't easy as I want it to be.

Oh dude you are tall as heck. Get a step ladder, some real straps and tie that piggy down.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just wanted to post an update on the Oru Kayak I purchased a few months ago--it's been pretty great! Really beat my expectations, it tracks well, easy to paddle, super lightweight, and it's durability has been tested by dragging it over rocks, scraping it over hidding logs, and paddling down pretty fairly big open water at the confluence of two rivers, and some small rapids.

A few weeks ago I took it down the Little Miami for a few nights:

And the other week I did another three day kayak camping trip down the Roanoke River/Devils Gut Creek in North Carolina. If you're looking for an amazing place to kayak camp, I seriously can't recommend it enough! You can rent out platforms along the swamp and the river, and camp out on those overnight, which is unlike anywhere else I've ever camped. It's definitely a unique experience paddling through mangroves and camping out a little island in the swamp surrounded by Bard Owls.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nice trip! Digging the atmosphere in that place, rusted old steam donkeys and creepy piers are awesome. I didn't think the Oru would really work out well for overnights, glad to see it's a bit more capable than I had thought.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rime posted:

Nice trip! Digging the atmosphere in that place, rusted old steam donkeys and creepy piers are awesome. I didn't think the Oru would really work out well for overnights, glad to see it's a bit more capable than I had thought.

Except for having to disassemble the top zipper to get stuff out, it's honestly not too bad apart from not having as much storage as say sit on tops. I definitely packed pretty minimally and felt like it I couldn't do too much more, so I probably wouldn't be taking it out for more than a week at a time.

Honestly the main downside is the difficulty getting in and out as opposed to a nice sit on top, but I honestly suspect other sit ins are similar. Plus the seat isn't as nice as my buddy's Predator MK, which is like a freaking lazy boy that's stable enough to stand upright on.

I'm definitely hooked on kayak camping though... Any other great spots or rivers you guys would recommend?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just wanted to post an update on the Oru Kayak I purchased a few months ago--it's been pretty great! Really beat my expectations, it tracks well, easy to paddle, super lightweight, and it's durability has been tested by dragging it over rocks, scraping it over hidding logs, and paddling down pretty fairly big open water at the confluence of two rivers, and some small rapids.

Looks great! I just ordered an Oru Bay ST this week, for lake use here in Seattle. However, seeing your (Hennessy?) hammock has me thinking about doing some inland overnights.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a canoeing thread? My husband and I did a bunch of canoe camping in the Adirondacks in our youth and I'm interested to hear about people's experience with 2 person canoes vs 2 person kayaks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

beefnoodle posted:

Looks great! I just ordered an Oru Bay ST this week, for lake use here in Seattle. However, seeing your (Hennessy?) hammock has me thinking about doing some inland overnights.

Nice! I think you'll love it... I really like the Bay ST because I'm 6' 4" and it has an adjustable footrest that nicely accommodates tall people unlike earlier models.

Just remember it takes awhile to set it up for the first time, then once you get the idea it's pretty quick after that. Also be prepared to flip when you first get in and start making adjustments to the seat and stuff. I'd also recommend a large sponge to soak up any waves that get over the sides. Also, getting in and out is an extremely undignified process, just fyi. Otherwise it is pretty freaking awesome and congrats! That's a great buy! Please post some overnight trip pics when you do one :D

What paddle and PFD did you pick up to go along with it?

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a canoeing thread? My husband and I did a bunch of canoe camping in the Adirondacks in our youth and I'm interested to hear about people's experience with 2 person canoes vs 2 person kayaks.

I think you're looking at it! It's tough getting traction outside the hiking and backpacking megathread.

I personally don't care for tandem anything, it's all the frustration and work without any of the ability to go where you want... It's the worst of both worlds methinks. Canoes vs Kayaks... I like canoes because you can really load them up with gear, but I think Kayaks are easier to paddle, and sit on tops seem to be a nice hybrid of capacity/comfort and ease of paddling IMO.

The other thing I don't care for on canoes is that you're technically supposed to be sitting on your shins, resting against the seat bar. Sitting on a seat greatly reduces your power and stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

OSU_Matthew posted:

What paddle and PFD did you pick up to go along with it?

It comes with a paddle, which I'll try out before I spend more money. I already had this PFD from other boating activities: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOZ48WE

• Locked thread