Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Kayaks, while not quite hang gliders, are kinda being abandoned. Packrafts, so hot right now. Four-figure pool toys :getin:

One of my friends has one and manages to lug it up trails to lakes that were previously inaccessible to most paddlers, and I'm legit jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got the flatwater kayaking cert from Paddle Canada as part of my degree, which was just pool work in a whitewater kayak, but it came in really handy when I was landing a tandem sit-on-top with my husband on a beach and a toddler ran right into our path. Braked on a dime and the kid got to keep his teeth. Learning the proper skills is worth it!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Look up videos on good paddling techniques. It's a lot more fun when you know how to really rock that paddle.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow, it's even cheap in Canada! That's going on my wishlist.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Hey now, imagine the kind of tailwind, imagine how drat fast you'll go!

Just don't do what happened to me when I was paddling through Canyonlands: the headwinds were so strong we were being blown upstream. That loving sucked. The waves moving upstream and sloshing us were pretty sizable too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You're mostly never too fat to kayak so long as you fit into the open-top models, just consider a realistic turnaround time if you're leaving the shoreline.

The fitter you get, the farther out you can go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

As long as the lake isn't too cold, yeah. Paddlers seem to die a few times a year in the popular lakes here because they get hit with a sudden gust coming down the mountains and tip into near freezing water. If it was a prairie lake the chance of hypothermia would be significantly lessened. There's actually some pretty popular little beach areas due to the warmth of that water.

• Locked thread