Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rime posted:

Have rolling / rescue classes tonight. Air temperature high of 8*, water temperature 6*. :captainpop:
Celsius? Even then, :vince:

So, all the Oru Kayaks are 20% off right now at a bunch of places, so I finally caved and bought the Bay ST! :homebrew:

I'll post some pictures and stuff once I get it in and try it out.

Can't wait to take it on several overnight trips with some buddies later this year!

So, next steps are to find a PFD and good paddle... Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I'm assuming I'll need to register it as well (this is in Ohio)? I'm assuming I would eventually get fined even if it doesn't have a motor on it, right?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just wanted to post an update on the Oru Kayak I purchased a few months ago--it's been pretty great! Really beat my expectations, it tracks well, easy to paddle, super lightweight, and it's durability has been tested by dragging it over rocks, scraping it over hidding logs, and paddling down pretty fairly big open water at the confluence of two rivers, and some small rapids.

A few weeks ago I took it down the Little Miami for a few nights:

And the other week I did another three day kayak camping trip down the Roanoke River/Devils Gut Creek in North Carolina. If you're looking for an amazing place to kayak camp, I seriously can't recommend it enough! You can rent out platforms along the swamp and the river, and camp out on those overnight, which is unlike anywhere else I've ever camped. It's definitely a unique experience paddling through mangroves and camping out a little island in the swamp surrounded by Bard Owls.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rime posted:

Nice trip! Digging the atmosphere in that place, rusted old steam donkeys and creepy piers are awesome. I didn't think the Oru would really work out well for overnights, glad to see it's a bit more capable than I had thought.

Except for having to disassemble the top zipper to get stuff out, it's honestly not too bad apart from not having as much storage as say sit on tops. I definitely packed pretty minimally and felt like it I couldn't do too much more, so I probably wouldn't be taking it out for more than a week at a time.

Honestly the main downside is the difficulty getting in and out as opposed to a nice sit on top, but I honestly suspect other sit ins are similar. Plus the seat isn't as nice as my buddy's Predator MK, which is like a freaking lazy boy that's stable enough to stand upright on.

I'm definitely hooked on kayak camping though... Any other great spots or rivers you guys would recommend?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

beefnoodle posted:

Looks great! I just ordered an Oru Bay ST this week, for lake use here in Seattle. However, seeing your (Hennessy?) hammock has me thinking about doing some inland overnights.

Nice! I think you'll love it... I really like the Bay ST because I'm 6' 4" and it has an adjustable footrest that nicely accommodates tall people unlike earlier models.

Just remember it takes awhile to set it up for the first time, then once you get the idea it's pretty quick after that. Also be prepared to flip when you first get in and start making adjustments to the seat and stuff. I'd also recommend a large sponge to soak up any waves that get over the sides. Also, getting in and out is an extremely undignified process, just fyi. Otherwise it is pretty freaking awesome and congrats! That's a great buy! Please post some overnight trip pics when you do one :D

What paddle and PFD did you pick up to go along with it?

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a canoeing thread? My husband and I did a bunch of canoe camping in the Adirondacks in our youth and I'm interested to hear about people's experience with 2 person canoes vs 2 person kayaks.

I think you're looking at it! It's tough getting traction outside the hiking and backpacking megathread.

I personally don't care for tandem anything, it's all the frustration and work without any of the ability to go where you want... It's the worst of both worlds methinks. Canoes vs Kayaks... I like canoes because you can really load them up with gear, but I think Kayaks are easier to paddle, and sit on tops seem to be a nice hybrid of capacity/comfort and ease of paddling IMO.

The other thing I don't care for on canoes is that you're technically supposed to be sitting on your shins, resting against the seat bar. Sitting on a seat greatly reduces your power and stability.

• Locked thread