Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
YLLS has a thread for whitewater kayaking, which is the downhill skiing of the nautical world. Here, we tackle headier subjects. Sea Kayaking. Big Kayaking. Kayaks longer than your car:

I worked on an intro for a few days and decided that megathread intros are dumb. I know jack-poo poo about Kayaking, really, and you shouldn't read about Kayaking from an SA thread intro anyways.

Go read Kayarchy.com for the nitty-gritty low-down on sea Kayaks. It's the best book on the subject which isn't printed onto trees.

This is an oldschool greenland style kayak:

This is a newschool touring kayak with a sail:

This is a surf ski, for people who get off on riding torpedos:

This is a packraft, an inflatable pool toy which can be taken anywhere! :airquote:

This is a collapsible kayak for really really financially idiotic yuppies:

Kijiji claims this is a kayak but I think it's not:

In summary: Kayaks. Kayarchy.com :magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
<Reserved for Expansion.>

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Good, hopefully the riff-raff stops making GBS threads up my coastline. :godwin:

Yeah, I had planned on some packrafts in the OP, as well as the funky origami boats. It's a big OP, the bigliest, takes time.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
OP is done, unless anyone has further irreverent expansion suggestions.

There's like 20 feet of snow on all of my mountain haunts, so I've decided that this is a good year to finally get my paddle canada level 1 certification and VHF license. So good that I'm doing it in May, in a balmy 7* celcius ocean, whee!

:stoked:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Does NYC not have yacht/rowing clubs? I can store a full expedition here in Vancouver at Jericho for like $200/yr.

Have rolling / rescue classes tonight. Air temperature high of 8*, water temperature 6*. :captainpop:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I suggest the finest greenland paddle money can buy, with curly maple inlay and a blade carving of your choice.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have acquired my paddle Canada level 1! :clap:

After experiencing how awesome it is to hardcore edge a kayak, and how fast this allows you to maneuver, I don't think I can ever go back to non-performance boats. :stare:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh neat, since it holds your legs in you can kinda sorta edge a bit in that I bet.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I usually just wear underwear under mine, but if they're providing the suit then shorts will take a bit of the bag out and prevent it from "flushing" due to gaps in the body fit.

Swimshorts are better since they are a closer fit without a thick band at the waist, and you don't want anything to chafe while also having the wetsuit fit as skintight as possible.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I mean you can, just gotta have no shame about it. Fleece/wool under the wetsuit is great in the shoulder season for adding some warmth though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Chard posted:

Would the Intex Challenger K1 hold up on a relatively calm sea? I'm guessing even small surf would bend it up. If that's the case what's the cheapest analogous sea kayak?

sounds sweaty and/or clammy.

Olld rotomolded sea kayaks can regularly be found on Craigslist for $300 and under. Just make sure it fits you correctly and you're good to go.

Only boomers, the wealthy, or the dumb buy new sea kayaks. They'll probably outlast our civilization.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You took an inflatable kayak out in 40 mph winds? Are you insane?!?!? 20 knots is suggested as the "you might actually fuckin' die" cutoff for touring boats, and 40mph is around 34 knots. :stonk: :stonk:

I took a surf ski out for the afternoon. I wasn't wrong describing them as torpedoes that you ride on, the hull speed is pretty crazy. Got an unexpected distance up Indian Arm before turning around due to my hand blistering. Unstable as hell when the water gets choppy, but that just makes edging oh so very fun in soft conditions. Great for riding down swells, too. :haw:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I missed that you were on a lake, risk of death probably significantly less than I'd suggested.

Sounds like a blast.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nice trip! Digging the atmosphere in that place, rusted old steam donkeys and creepy piers are awesome. I didn't think the Oru would really work out well for overnights, glad to see it's a bit more capable than I had thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Maaaaan, I really thought this would be the summer I could take up noodling around in kayaks. Looks like a couple of rental days are all I am going to get, though. :(

• Locked thread