Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

You've surely heard about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild by now. About how it's one the highest-rated games of all-time, how it completely shakes up the open-world formula in an exciting new direction, how it throws out much of what defined the Zelda series for the past twenty-five years to go in a completely unique direction. So let's skip all that and get to the Let's Play itself.

I freaking love this game. The world is massive, there's things to find everywhere, and it's an open world game that encourages exploration. The bits of story are surprisingly strong, the music sparse but incredible, and the gameplay incredibly diverse, always giving you a variety of options in approaching combat and puzzles. Of course, it's not perfect, with the difficulty curve being incredibly wonky, some bad framerate issues in spots, and a lack of real dungeons that the series is famed for. Nonetheless, this game hits pretty much everything I want in a game and has already cemented itself as an all-time favorite of mine. Thus the inspiration for this Let's Play.

I've ultimately decided to go screenshots, albeit with plenty of videos and animations to show off all the cutscenes and cool moments that happen in the game. I've also decided to let the audience decide what I do in-game. Should I explore every inch of Hyrule? What order should I do the major areas in? Should I even do all of them? Should I beeline straight to the final boss? You'll decide!

There's only one thread rule, but it's an important one.

No spoilers, even in tags. No hints on what to do next. No being coy about clues. Don't be an idiot and we'll be fine. Otherwise...

Lurkers can follow my Twitter to be notified about updates.

:siren: For a more structured Let's Play, I recommend ThornBrain's video LP! :siren:

UPDATES

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THE NEXT TWO POSTS!!! :siren:

Max Peck posted:

I'm not sure why, but I had to do it.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 8, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As of "Chapter 8".

CURRENT MAP

CURRENT ARMOR

* Cannot be dyed
L# Gear's current level, if none listed then cannot be upgraded

Head

Barbarian Helm (L0)
Climber's Bandanna (L2)
Diamond Circlet * (L0)
Hylian Hood (L2)
Rubber Helm (L0)
Soldier's Helm (L1)
Stealth Mask (L2)
Tingle's Hood *
Zora Helm (L2)

Body

Champion's Tunic * (L1)
Hylian Tunic (L2)
Nintendo Switch Shirt *
Old Shirt
Soldier's Armor (L2)
Stealth Chest Guard (L2)
Tingle's Shirt *
Warm Doublet
Zora Armor (L2)

Legs

Climbing Boots (L1)
Hylian Trousers (L2)
Soldier's Greaves (L2)
Stealth Tights (L2)
Well-Worn Trousers
Tingle's Tights *
Zora Greaves (L2)

Dye Colors

Blue, Red, Yellow, White, Black, Purple, Green, Light Blue, Navy, Orange, Peach, Crimson, Light Yellow, Brown, and Gray.

CURRENT QUESTS

Click here to view all current quests.

CURRENT MEMORIES AVAILABLE

Pictures will be removed from section as memories are discovered. Any hints to locations will be below the picture in spoiler tags.

- Memory 2

quote:

Hmm... That's Lake Kolomo, isn't it? It's an oddly shaped lake west of here. There's a forest on the west side of it. Yes, I can see some trees here as well. It must be over there.

- Memory 3

- Memory 4

- Memory 5

- Memory 6

- Memory 7

- Memory 8

- Memory 10

- Memory 12

UNLOCKED MEMORIES

- Memory #1: Subdued Ceremony - (Video)

- Memory #10: Mipha's Touch - (Video)

- Memory #13: Slumbering Power - (Video)

- Memory #15: Return of Calamity Ganon - (Video)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 13, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE FIRST UPDATE HAS BEEN MOVED TO SPEED UP THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD :siren:

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So the first few updates will be pretty linear, since we've got to do some tutorial stuff before the entire world is unlocked. I'll have one choice in a couple updates, but for now I'll pretty much be on auto-pilot until we're done with the tutorial area. After that, though...!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Ooh! I was hoping someone would do this. Definitely glad to see you at it, Mega64.

Are you playing this on the Switch or the WiiU?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Switch version. Figured I'd get the new console for it, and glad I did if only for the portability!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh sweet. Since I don't see myself getting a Switch anytime soon this'll be great to check out.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mega64 posted:

Switch version. Figured I'd get the new console for it, and glad I did if only for the portability!

Yeah, I want to get a Switch myself, but I cannot afford it right now. Maybe in the future... and the portability is definitely a selling feature for me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i want this game so bad, but finding a switch is uh

well it's much harder living in a city then it was back in the country, i'll tell ya what

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
You should put a warning in the OP that this game gets hot and steamy at certain parts.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Putty posted:

You should put a warning in the OP that this game gets hot and steamy at certain parts.

Hot and steamy is the entire appeal of this game, though!

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
This will be the best LP that will ever be abandoned!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Earnestly posted:

This will be the best LP that will ever be abandoned!

If it makes it past ten updates it'll be a miracle.

I want to believe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Audience participation you say?
Strip Link naked. Now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Had some footage recorded, but...

Augus posted:

Strip Link naked. Now.

Zero-ELEC posted:

Immediately run away from the old man.

Going to go ahead and rerecord that!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This was the second update, but I kinda overloaded it with MP4s.

Stay tuned for a better-running version...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 1, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE SECOND UPDATE HAS BEEN MOVED TO SPEED UP THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD :siren:

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 25, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I kinda went overboard on the MP4s there, made eleven of them, so it kinda bogged things down at least on my end. Ended up flat-out linking them for now, kinda ugly but it's better than screwing up people's browsers. I'll tweak around a bit and see if I can find a good compromise for things in the future.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
You ran into a blue bokoblin, not a black one, near the tree base.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Good point, thanks! Fixed.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Gave up on Paper Mario for this eh? Can't say I blame ya, a lot of LPs I was reading kinda halted when the Switch came out.

I'll look forward to seeing where you take this LP, there's a lot of uh, interesting stuff in the game thats got to been seen to believed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Naked Link is a pretty hard mode to run with. He takes an extra half-heart of damage even from most of these lovely Bokoblin weapons, which is kind of a bad thing when you've got exactly three hearts.

Good old closed-box cooking, though. That's a Hylian classic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I will admit, I dubious that an SSLP of BotW would work, but drat if this isn't pretty interesting. :munch:

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Love this game, it is by far my favorite Zelda game ever. Bought a switch just for this, pretty much.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mega64 posted:

CLICK FOR GIF

This seems pretty appropriate.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

My favorite revelation in this game was simply that there were no impassable barriers, especially invisible ones.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Next time, show you're a Link of faith and go to church.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Explosionface posted:

My favorite revelation in this game was simply that there were no impassable barriers, especially invisible ones.

It's made it impossible to play other games. "Oh, there's a hole in that building! With a clever glide I can go explore and noooooooope it's a cosmetic wall."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Next time, show you're a Link of faith and go to church.

Don't know if I'll do it next update or not due to the next chunk of gameplay being pretty wordy, but I'll plan on it if so!

e: Added an image to link to GIFs (even though they aren't technically GIFs but MP4s but whatever) now so I don't lag out this thread with 10+ MP4s every update.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 1, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bruceski posted:

It's made it impossible to play other games. "Oh, there's a hole in that building! With a clever glide I can go explore and noooooooope it's a cosmetic wall."

I loved Nier Automata but going from Breath of the Wild to a game with so many invisible walls everywhere was jarring as gently caress.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Planning an update tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a teaser.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Somehow Link already comes off as as big a bumbling yet fearless goober he's ever been since Wind Waker.

You are not a stalwart knight on a noble quest, whatever the story ends up feeding you. You are a dubiously-intentioned crazy naked kid using debris to beat up gobbie bums.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mazed posted:

Somehow Link already comes off as as big a bumbling yet fearless goober he's ever been since Wind Waker.
There are character-defining moments, and then there's Link chasing after the bird that kidnapped his sister so hard that he doesn't notice himself falling off a cliff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mega64 posted:

Planning an update tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a teaser.

This game has so many wonderful things like that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE THIRD UPDATE HAS BEEN MOVED TO SPEED UP THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD :siren:

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 25, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Next time, we'll track the other three shrines and then proceed to ignore them in favor of futzing around some more.
The Sandbox Experience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Updated previous update by inlining the animations, so they should show up but not auto-play and thus slow the thread down.

I'll adjust the first two updates tomorrow to do the same. Let me know if there's any issues! Certainly has been an experience getting all the technical stuff down, as usual.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's some nice animation work. Well done!

Can't wait to see where else you gently caress off to on this plateau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The dude in the shrine looked like one of those self-mummified Buddhist monks.

Zelda is still a series that can be relied on to casually throw creepy stuff at you, it's very good to see.

• Locked thread