Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Junior G-man posted:

How long do those leaf people just hang around? I mean, that chained ball thing seems pretty elaborate. "Hahahaha! I will hide myself inside this obscure puzzle until a hero wakes up 100 years later who might pass this way and could possibly care enough to solve it!"

I mean, what do they do in the meantime? Does Hyrule even have broadband so they can check LeafHub or something?

I choose to believe Link got into a massive game and hide-and-go-seek before this Chamber of Resurrection business happened. They are all very proud of themselves, since they have not been found in 100 years. "Hee-hee!" They whisper within theirs pots-danging-from-chains, or flower puzzles. "I am the best hider *ever*!"

Also, Kass is my favorite NPC. Just excellent.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It's Kass! :swoon: The most dapper birdman this side of Pohkiel from Legend of Mana! Meeting Kass is pretty neat - since he can fly he tends to turn up in all sorts of unlikely places, and you always know when he's nearby because you can hear that distinctive squeezebox tune at a volume proportional to his distance from you. (You can hear it in the background of the chained-rock puzzle!)

Junior G-man posted:

How long do those leaf people just hang around? I mean, that chained ball thing seems pretty elaborate. "Hahahaha! I will hide myself inside this obscure puzzle until a hero wakes up 100 years later who might pass this way and could possibly care enough to solve it!"

I mean, what do they do in the meantime? Does Hyrule even have broadband so they can check LeafHub or something?

They are forest spirits, after all. It's not clear whether they're mortal or what. Given that Wind Waker implied that the Kokiri changed into Koroks, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they aren't. They might just nap until they're found.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

D3m3 posted:

I choose to believe Link got into a massive game and hide-and-go-seek before this Chamber of Resurrection business happened. They are all very proud of themselves, since they have not been found in 100 years. "Hee-hee!" They whisper within theirs pots-danging-from-chains, or flower puzzles. "I am the best hider *ever*!"

Also, Kass is my favorite NPC. Just excellent.

It does speak volumes to their commitment, I'll give them that.

But honestly, have you ever played hide and seek where you hid well enough not be found? At some point it almost becomes an agony. That's not to say that these leaf dudes are subject to the same rules of boredom as we are, but still.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Forest spirits. As long as there's something around to help grow and/or nearby animals to prank, they're good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The first one found was surprised you weren't Hestu, whoever that is, so unfortunately it seems like it's not actually Link they're hiding from.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We Leeroy'd into someone else's hide and seek game, half of the time while naked, the other half while dressed as Hyrule's best-armed tourist.

And that's not even getting into the fact that our ride is Clydsdal Satan.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

We Leeroy'd into someone else's hide and seek game, half of the time while naked, the other half while dressed as Hyrule's best-armed tourist.

And that's not even getting into the fact that our ride is Clydsdal Satan.

Maybe we are just interrupting their game and all their "Yahooo! you found me" is just really sarcastic while they throw those nuts at Links' head.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

As an aside note on this - despite the fact that Nintendo passed up on a golden opportunity to make Link emote as well in this game as he did in Wind Waker, this Link has a heck of a lot of implied personality that largely comes across through inferred dialogue (i.e. what he'd have to have said to prompt some reactions from NPCs) and in the dialogue option choices themselves, which are often rather more... colourful than simple yes/no prompts. In particular, the options for *snip* made me realize that in this game Link is a monumental dork.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't put Leeroy-ing into somebody else's game of hide and seek for fun past him.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 15, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

so we're not allowed to post this?

Real talk, enjoying it, because I will probably not be able to play this game anytime soon.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 15, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

I totally spaced - I'm sorry. I won't do it again.

edit: oh god my tables why is that image so gigantic

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is a huge spoiler, mate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Spoilered the spoiler so it won't spoil anyone's spoiler-free spoilers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bruceski posted:

That is a huge spoiler, mate.

Oh gently caress sorry.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are Kass's little riddle jingles references to prior series music? I could swear the one he played for the dragon river sounded familiar.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glazius posted:

Are Kass's little riddle jingles references to prior series music? I could swear the one he played for the dragon river sounded familiar.

Good catch! We haven't actually heard it much yet, but it's a piece from the excellent Main Theme of Breath of the Wild. A few parts of it have popped up a couple times so far, mainly the first time Link leaves the Shrine of Resurrection and parts of King Rhoam's plot dump.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Electric attacks are great because they stun enemies and make them drop their weapons.

Today we're going to head north to investigate this mysterious shrine the bird man told us about.

The area around here is heavily forested, with ancient ruins scattered around. We're going to gloss over most of those so we can sneak to our destination without much combat.

That doesn't mean no combat, of course. This guy is a Wizzrobe, a Zelda staple that stems way back to the first Zelda. In BotW, there are three different types based on their elements (fire/ice/lightning) and two tiers of each. This guy's an Electric Wizzrobe, so caution is recommended.

I make my approach with a flurry of arrows.

Wizzrobes are a pain to fight melee. They float in the air, and can turn invisible to move elsewhere (though their footsteps make them easy enough to track).

They always wield a corresponding elemental rod.

A rod we can get. They're bad for melee attacks, but you can shoot ranged elemental attacks with them. Lightning is great for crowd control for weapon-wielding enemies. Also fantastic for water battles, as you may expect.

Another food that boosts max hearts.

Lizalfos swimming in the water almost take me out, but I'm really good at running away at this point.

The Hero of Courage!

The further we go in, the more this forest seems like a jungle. Well, I guess it can be both.

The haze does make it difficult to see farther away, unfortunately.

I need to cross this river to make progress, but I also want this fish. The sacrifices I make...

Lizalfos can camouflage themselves to match their environments. I don't take the bait.

Still got a bit to go, but we're making good progress in this miserable place.

Eventually I get to this odd ruin that has three large rocks on three corners...

...and a rock stuck on a pillar.

The key, of course, is stasis and throwing a weapon at it. Arrows are too weak to do anything.

Pushing it to the corner is a very difficult task, as these rocks are big and may not roll well.

So I tried statis and ended up overshooting it. Welp! It'd be way too much of a hassle to get it back up there, so...

I'll come back to it. Maybe. Possibly.

In the meantime, more things.

A nearby pillar gives us a great view of...uh...

Screw it let's jump in.

Guarding the entrance is a Moblin. These guys also made their start in the original Legend of Zelda, though they're much taller and lankier than their other iterations. They're certainly a step up from Bokoblins.

I believe this one is a Black Moblin, though it could possibly be Blue. Lighting makes it a bit difficult to tell.

The Lightning Rod comes in handy here. My inventory's full so I decide to break a weapon on him first.

Perfect.

Then I use his own weapon against him to soundly defeat him.

Moblins have the same body parts as Bokoblins, just in Moblin form.

We nab a really nice find. Up to 650 rupees already!

Turns out we've reached the maws of the river dragon, and that led us straight to the Spring of Courage.

Series veterans will recognize Courage as being one of the three pieces of the Triforce, usually being the piece to represent Link (with Wisdom for Zelda, and Power for Ganon). I get the feeling this is where we're supposed to be.

I, Goddess Hylia, will guide you.

...Seems just finding the place is not that easy. To unlock the shrine, we'll need Farosh's Scale, whatever that is.

At any rate, it's certainly not here, and I'm sure we'll find it during our travels.

So let's go back to Ganonhoof and resume our current path to follow the path of the sword.

This time, I notice a stump with a rock attached and do the obvious.

So we didn't access the shrine, but we got some sweet new weapons and some cash, so it worked out alright. I'm sure we'll be back someday, though.

For now, onward!

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u12/061.mp4

Oh yeah and lest you think Ganonhoof only tramples birds to death, he has no issue trampling over freaking bulls.

Good horse.

And this bridge leads us into uncharted territory!

Well, it will after I loot this chest.

Also dragon person from before somehow made it all the way over here. Weren't you traveling this same direction last time we saw you?

It's probably safe to assume this is the tower of this region. Sincle we'll probably want to know precisely where we're going from here, our current priority will be to scale this tower.

It's a bit steep, though. If only Link could climb mountains...

...Oh, right. This is Breath of the Wild. Link can do that!

However, at Link's current stamina the cliff would be too steep to scale by itself. So let's climb as high as we can on this side and then glide over to a good spot on the other side that lets us reach the tower.

There's some really nice forage in this area.

So, first thing is to climb one of these really tall trees. The game's nice enough to make the leaves mostly transparent when you scale the top of these trees.

This little section looks like a good place to reach as any. If we can scale the cliff above, we'll reach the tower.

As a bonus, Luminous Stones to mine!

It's a long climb but we're barely able to make it. Good thing we chose that stamina upgrade!

https://g.mega64.net/botw/u12/077.mp4

This is an Octorok. It, too, debuted in the original Zelda game and appears in almost every game since. Their gimmick is shooting rocks at you, and BotW's iterations are no different.

There's several types, this one being a Water Octorok.

They're pretty fragile, so the easiest way to deal with them is to take them out with an arrow. It's good to do so because they are relentless and have better aim than you'd expect.

The Octo Balloons are fun to play with. They don't have much practical effects, but you can do some really fun and inventive things with them. Sadly, they pop after a short time and you can only have a few attached to an item at a time.

I try killing them with bombs to conserve arrows, but it didn't take.

Second try, we reach the tower proper. Another Electric Wizzrobe is guarding it.

While fighting it, a swarm of Keese swoop around me. It's just a large number of Keese, kill enough and they'll flee the area.

Nothing too scary.

Surrounding the tower are these giant stone slabs, most of them covering things up.

Statis does a good job getting rid of them.

Some loot...

...and a couple holes blowing up wind. Which we need since the tower doesn't have footholds until over halfway up. The updrafts let us go up to the next cliff and then glide to the tower from there.

And now we're set!

We've come a long way so far.

New warp point...

...and a map of the area!

This is what we've revealed so far (still a tiny portion of the entire map, of course).

And these are the various area names.

The marker ends up being in the ocean, right off Cape Cresia.

At this point, we've got enough new areas to explore, so I'm going to open things up again.

Where should we go next!? Again, I'll take the first bunch of answers I get and then hold a poll (again allowing multiple options to be voted) to ultimately decide.

Next time, I don't know what we're going to do yet!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 25, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I had quite an adventure climbing that tower myself. I was still at the basic stamina wheel, had no stamina food and didn't notice that area with the updrafts, so as you may imagine this posed some challenges. I ended up having to take a roundabout path to the east, using trees and smaller cliffs to make my way up to the one right next to the tower before having a battle with the enemies up there and then finally making my way up it. That little adventure made my decision to save stamina wheel upgrades for later worth it, as it would've never happened had I been putting my upgrades into it instead of health.

Point is I really love this game, and the little things like alternate creative solutions you get up to to make the most out of your basic stats such as that or exploring areas with enemies too strong to face head on are just as fun in their own way as exploring with a full stamina wheel and enough health to not be one shot by anything that looks at you funny.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 16, 2017

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Climb every mountain. Or, y'know, at least climb to the top of Tuft Mountain, see what you can see in the surrounding area.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Oh and as for what to do next. We found the Spring of Courage so why not head to the Courage Steppe next?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lots of beaches marked on the map now. Time for a beach party!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

biosterous posted:

Lots of beaches marked on the map now. Time for a beach party!

Here here. Give the dork a break from all his extreme mountain climbing and murder.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Wherever you go, stop by Lake Floria first. It's right there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Go to Koholit Rock Wake up that lazy rear end windfish again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Get to the beach... by climbing over the mountain.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

What about going, Wherever your sword points?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Make Link run in a circle until his stamina is gone then go in the direction he's facing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Make Link run in a circle until his stamina is gone then go in the direction he's facing

seconded.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Visit Hyrule Castle but NOT fight Ganon to show off why it's a bad idea

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Go to Koholit Rock Wake up that lazy rear end windfish again.

Seconded.

Fun fact about real life horses: horses will never ever trample other animals or humans if they can help it. If there's an animal in their way, or, say, a person falls off the horse in front of them, they will do all they can to avoid it or leap over it.

The only horses that trample people/animals are horses that are panicking and feel that's the only way out, or horses that have been specifically trained to do so (police/military horses).

So, who do you think trained this horse to trample bulls? :D

Also a question: can you stasis an octorok's rock in midflight?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unseen: octorocks being crack-shot snipers. They will lead their target and if you leave one alive it will nail you from a mile away.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also a question: can you stasis an octorok's rock in midflight?

Good question! I'll have to find out later.

Poll is up. Probably won't have an update up until Friday, will try to get gameplay in on Wednesday.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
All you people not voting for Hyrule Castle what do you have against making Mega64 die again and again for our pleasure?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

People, lets ride Gannonhoof off to Hyrule Castle and fight Gannon! Your voting is dragging this LP out needlessly, we can beat that chump. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MiddleOne posted:

People, lets ride Gannonhoof off to Hyrule Castle and fight Gannon! Your voting is dragging this LP out needlessly, we can beat that chump. :colbert:

Yeah. We've basically seen everything and the game has run it's course. Let's finish it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah. We've basically seen everything and the game has run it's course. Let's finish it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm starting to greatly appreciate this theme of "decide where to go next through some random, arbitrary means" thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm starting to greatly appreciate this theme of "decide where to go next through some random, arbitrary means" thing.

It's incredible that you can just go to some random place in this game and find something. It may just be a korok, but there's stuff, and terrain, and maybe something that looks cool. The closest they get to "just put a texture here so there's not a hole in the geometry" is some of the fields, and even those have their aesthetic.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Me too, and I love the random adventures so far. However, a little bit of plot stuff in the coming updates wouldn't be amiss for me. But maybe I'm one of those rare dorks who likes vidya game plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Me too, and I love the random adventures so far. However, a little bit of plot stuff in the coming updates wouldn't be amiss for me. But maybe I'm one of those rare dorks who likes vidya game plots.

So vote Hyrule Castle then. No plot but the one plot. :colbert:

• Locked thread