Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or Kakariko. If I know one thing about Zelda, it's that the plot starts in Kakariko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

This is from an experienced-with-the-game angle but Climb Tuft Mountain, Then look At The Other End Of The Road There.

Koholit Rock might be unadvisable at this point, but I think it would be nice to explore the current region some more before abandoning it for kakkariko. SO I guess a beach party would be OK too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised there are still roads out here. I vote to follow a road or road-like substance into this new area and see if it leads to another stable.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Eh, might as well go to Kakariko and get the initial plot stuff out of the way up front. There's lots of time to get lost once the game's had a chance to establish itself!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poll on the previous page.

Mega64 posted:

Good question! I'll have to find out later.

Poll is up. Probably won't have an update up until Friday, will try to get gameplay in on Wednesday.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah, durians. The magical fruit.

Also I really like the Wizrobe designs in this. And the way they sort of skip through the air. And from some angles they look a bit like that cool cryptid Japanese games seem to like so much.

Also also I've been using this LP a bit to explore some of the areas you've shown in my own game so thanks for the inspiration

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I voted for the beach party, because even though we've only been awake for a few hours, a beach party sounds relaxing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Got our winner! I'll start recording later today and will have the next update up tomorrow or Friday.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

And it looks like our new destination will be...

...alright, then.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Please party on the beach on the way to the island, tia

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I won by default. The two greatest words in the English Language.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh boy private island!

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Mega's avatar is suddenly apt.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

McDragon posted:

Also I really like the Wizrobe designs in this. And the way they sort of skip through the air. And from some angles they look a bit like that cool cryptid Japanese games seem to like so much.

I was noticing that too. It's a good design.

Japan has like eighty billion different youkai, yet can't get enough of our doofy Flatwoods Monster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

snograt posted:

Mega's avatar is suddenly apt.
We need to figure out a new in-game way to determine a random direction before the next poll.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

PMush Perfect posted:

We need to figure out a new in-game way to determine a random direction before the next poll.

Hold bomb above your head, go in the direction the explosion throws you.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Walk into a Bokoblin camp and start doing the two handed weapon spinning move. Whatever direction you were facing when you get shot is where to go next.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Heavy Sigh posted:

They're remote triggered, not timed.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

Alternatively just drop a round bomb and follow wherever it rolls off to.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Smart Car posted:

This was my first thought.

Alternatively, if you've only got two options, use Magnesis and a metal shield to flip a coin.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

PMush Perfect posted:

Find and kill an enemy with a weapon. Go in the direction the corpse's weapon points.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Find and kill an enemy with a weapon. Go in the direction the corpse's weapon points.
Ooh, that's a good one. Has to be something that makes them ragdoll, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Breath of the Wild is one of the few games that make me regret not having much to do with consoles. It genuinely looks and sounds like the best LoZ game ever.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Smart Car posted:

That's just going to give "downhill" every time.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Breath of the Wild is one of the few games that make me regret not having much to do with consoles. It genuinely looks and sounds like the best LoZ game ever.

That's kind of a tough call to make just based on how unlike other Zelda games (except the very first) it is. The whole go-anywhere-the-gently caress-you-please schtick changes the flow of the game a whole lot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

vdate posted:

That's kind of a tough call to make just based on how unlike other Zelda games (except the very first) it is. The whole go-anywhere-the-gently caress-you-please schtick changes the flow of the game a whole lot.

It's interesting because there are a fair few people who are ostensibly Zelda fans but really dislike BotW.

I can understand why in that if you're into Zelda for the dungeons and puzzles then BotW is a whole lot of stuff you don't want and very little of stuff that you do.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The content that BotW does have is mostly excellent. It's the content that it lacks (or repeats ad nauseam) that's the real weak point of the game. I really wanted to call BotW my favorite Zelda but at a certain point I just realized that despite all the stuff I hadn't done yet, I had basically already seen everything the game had to offer.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Is it worth buying the Switch for this game? It looks so ridiculously awesome.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

While it's not a perfect game, it's excellent at what it does. When I bought the game (the WiiU version, since there was no way I was getting a Switch full stop, let alone for this game), I spent more than 24 of the first 48 hours I owned the game, playing the game, because it's so good at effortlessly sucking you into the world. One more hill to climb, one more new place to see, one more thing to find, and so on. On that note, the game largely avoids some of the problems I hear other open-world games have by populating the game fairly densely with handcrafted actual Things To Do. If you see something that looks out of place, there's probably something you can do with it! That said, the poster a couple posts above has a point, though - if you think you'll find poking around a big old world for shrines and Koroks and hidden places and so forth tiresome, possibly it's best to avoid it. So, use your best judgement. If that sounds like a grand old time for you and a Switch won't break the bank, why not? There'll probably be other games you want for it eventually, Nintendo first party IPs being what they are.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

AweStriker posted:

That's just going to give "downhill" every time.
Well, you just have to find a conveniently round-topped boulder or hill first. Which is a decent way to get sidetracked in itself.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Junior G-man posted:

Basically, if you look at what you've seen so far here and think "I could go for a fuckoff huge world stuffed with that and elaborations on that", you won't be disappointed.

If you have reservations about that, you probably won't think it's worth it.

The game will sell itself to you or not very quickly. I'm definitely in the former category.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If the only reason you want a Switch is this game, take a look at the WiiU offerings, you can probably get one for cheap and the game is fine on it.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I pretty much bought a switch just for this game. :v:

There are other games that my brother wants to play, and I am sure more titles will come out eventually, so I just bit the bullet and got it now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've already got seven or so Switch games. Pretty solid indie system.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd have more for my Switch if I was in a better place financially but I bought it knowing I wanted to play Zelda and other eventual 1st party titles but that I wouldn't be able to splurge on tons of games for it right away.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Night is more dangerous in general since it attracts Keese and skeletal monsters, but many other monster types sleep during the night. Plus there are other benefits to the night we may see later in the game.

So last time, we've figure out how we're going to decide where to go next. We ended up voting on having Link run in a circle until he gets tired, then go where he faces. The result?

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u13/003.mp4

Turns out...it's pretty much the same way we've been going. Our end point for now will be this distant island.

I figure the best way to do this is to take the road there. We can always backtrack and visit other areas later if we wish. And if not, you could always buy the game and explore yourself. There's a ton out there, after all! Can't give everything away.

First, some scenic views of Link making his way back to Ganonhoof.

Along the way, we encounter some Bokoblins. Nothing out of the ordinary, except...

...they've knocked some travellers out.

Travellers can't die, and they'll recover as soon as we defeat the enemies that knocked them out.

Still, for hearty truffles, I'd put up with worse!

This is Crazy Truffle Lady. Her name is Nat but Crazy Truffle Lady is much more accurate.

She's a lady crazy about truffles, you see. Danger is of no concern to her, only truffles.

I blame my sister, really. She's the one who refuses to go home until we find some hearty truffles.

This is Crazy Truffle Lady's unfortunate sister, Meghyn. She gets roped into the crazy truffle adventures, usually to her detriment.

Music: Omen of the Bloody Moon

While walking on the road, little red and black specks rise in the air.

Also, it's hard to see from here, but the moon is blood red.

The surroundings get redder, the music more ominous...

Then the game stops and fades to black...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pX9hHFtr_A

Music: The Blood Moon

Link... Be on your guard.

Link...please be careful.

Then...we're back where we were, with things going back to normal.

The Blood Moon is a soft reset, basically. All enemies that were killed come back to life, and pretty much everything that can be reset, is. It's theorized that the blood moon is a way the game "fixes" itself if something weird happens, or to delete game world changes so the game doesn't get bogged down by all the different things in the overworld like other open-world games. Considering how surprisingly bug-free this game is relative to its size, it works for me!

Blood Moons are unpredictable, but killing stuff and changing the world is more likely to trigger them. They mostly occur at midnight, but sometimes they can happen at other times, even several times in a row, if you somehow really messed something up.

Other than that, the Blood Moon doesn't really do much else. It can buff cooking a bit, which I'll go into later, and there's one thing in particular that requires a Blood Moon which can drive some batty, but otherwise it's not that big a deal.

But what is a big deal, to us at least, is this stable up ahead.

Music: Stables

This is the Lakeside Stable.

Sure do!

So on this map of yours, do you see Dueling Peaks to the north of here? Well, apparently that used to be just one mountain a really long time ago. The legends say a dragon god split the mountain in half to forge a way through, and that's how it went from one to two.

I wonder if any of that is true...

A dragon around Lake Floria, huh? Might be worth investigating at some point.

At various areas are these magazines, and they're usually worth a good read.

quote:

Traysi here, bringing you the latest news and gossip from morning to night!

Glowing Blue Bunny

A loooong time ago, there was a skilled hunter. On the way back from a hunt, he saw a light moving in the darkness. Without hesitation, he fired an arrow toward it, and where it had been he found a bunch of rupees.

From that day forward, whenever he saw a similar light, he would fire an arrow at it. He always found rupees where his target had been, and he grew quite rich.

Or so the story goes... I bet you think this is just a myth, right? Then what do you say about all the people who claim to have seen a glowing blue bunny in the forest lately? You probably say, "Oh, Traysi, thank you for writing volume 6!" Sound about right? You should say that, because the blue bunny is the light the hunter saw! Finding it means finding lots and lots of rupees! I can't endorse this bit of gossip enough!

Wait, I don't know how to use a bow and arrow... That really puts a damper on things.

Another thing to be aware of, it seems.

Beedle's here with a slightly new inventory. Nothing we need right now, though.

We'll have to wait until day to talk to the other stablehands, since Link isn't rude.

Also, a recipe for a delicious apple pie, it seems.

And more new items.

Anyway, where there's a stable, there's a shrine.

This one is hidden behind some bombable rocks.

Music: Shrine Theme

This one is also pretty simple...for the most part.

These things are giant see-saws that shift weight, of course.

So we've got to halt the tilt using the power of Stasis.

The next one has two routes. One's just a chest to a Traveler's Sword, though. The other leads further.

The last obstacle is kind of a weird one. At first, it seems simple enough. Stasis this platform and walk to the monk.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u13/073.mp4

Except the other platform also tilts.

That said, if you go full-force, there's a good chance you can climb up anyway and reach the monk. Shrine complete, right?

Not quite. I want that chest. Especially since the last time I did this shrine it completely eluded me. We can't really reach it from here, though.

This one took me awhile to figure out, and even then I'm not sure if it's the "actual" solution.

I thought using stasis and bombs would work, but they ended up doing nothing.

The chest up top is not magnetic, but this one from earlier is.

It seems the way you're supposed to reach the monk is use the chest to weigh down the platform (the chest is heavier than Link, and unlike the other tilt platforms this one has a border on the edge to stop the chest from falling off) and then stasis the flat platform.

Good to know, but it doesn't help us reach that chest.

So let's think. We have a see-saw and a heavy object we can lift above us. Hmmm...

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u13/082.mp4

See-saw physics are the best physics. Granted it took awhile to actually get the height to reach this chest, but hey, we figured it out. That's what matters, right?

Our reward is an Ancient Core. Actually not that bad a get, though we can't really use it right now (unless we want to sell it of course).

With the treasure looted, we get our third Spirit Orb.

Coming outside, it is now day and everyone is awake.

Including this stablehand that has a quest for us.

Sure thing.

You will?! Really? I'm so happy! I'm counting on you.

This one is really easy. We just have to figure out why the stable gets struck by lightning, then fix the problem.

Hmmm...

Climbing the stable itself is kinda tricky but definitely doable.

Then we find the source, a random axe jutting out of the horse's skull.

We could take it as a weapon, but Magnesis works just as well.

Simple as that!

Aha! Yeah, that's as good as a lightning rod, isn't it? I wonder if someone put it up there on purpose. How strange...

Our reward is actually pretty nice. This is our first helmet, which gives Link another slot for defense. As a bonus, it resists electric attacks.

Quest complete!

The Rubber Helm looks goofy as hell, so I'm going to wear it the next couple updates (which are already recorded by the way so I can't take it off). The defense boost is nice, at any rate.

Each one is unique and absolutely worth a look.

This area looks really cool, and hopefully we'll get a better view next update. Lots of waterfalls and sheer cliffs, which of course makes it difficult to navigate the area.

For now...

Last person is here.

There's something strange at the top of that waterfall, though... Climb the ladder on the watchtower and take a peek. You'll probably need a telescope or something for a good look.

Yep, definitely looks odd. I mark it and will maybe come back to it later, if you guys want.

For now, it looks like this road will eventually lead us to Lurelin Village. It's on the way, so let's stop by there as we make our way to the island.

Next time, Lurelin Village! Also maybe we talk to this guy!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 25, 2017

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That tilt puzzle... that was fun for me. I used the treasure chest to launch me from the one paddle directly to the monk.

Then I regrabbed the chest and launched from the second paddle to the chest. After getting it went back down to do it again to get to the monk and... I smashed the chest so hard it clipped into the floor, had to leave and reenter to reset the room.

Also, when I first saw the blood moon it looked like the clip was implying that everything was upgraded, like everything was black or blue bokoblins. Got really confused when as soon as the hellfire and brimstone look went away and everything seemed normal.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As far as I know, the multiple Blood Moons occurring mid-day is a result of a bug with the game. The only way to consistently fix it that I found was to close the game and restart it. Apparently it was the result of the game being kept on for too long, which with the Switch's sleep mode functions was exactly what was happening to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god the hat looks like Link has a fish on his head. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well there's something I need to do next Zelda session, that hat rules.

Something I really like about this game is that you can always do everything in a shrine. As far as I can tell anyway. It's never come back when you have thing X, but sometimes thing Y makes things easier. Well, I guess there's a few that technically you'd need supplies for if you didn't want to make yourself miserable.

Also my first Blood Moon came just after I'd beaten up some bad guys in a cramped den and they all respawned around me so I bravely ran away. The effect is still really cool even later on though. Every so often I'll miss the embers and I'll wonder what the big ominous light is and then I suddenly remember. Also also I always feel pleased with myself when a Blood Moon triggers. It makes me think "good, I did enough things that the game had to do something about it".

• Locked thread