Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Explosionface posted:

My favorite revelation in this game was simply that there were no impassable barriers, especially invisible ones.

It's made it impossible to play other games. "Oh, there's a hole in that building! With a clever glide I can go explore and noooooooope it's a cosmetic wall."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Planning an update tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a teaser.

This game has so many wonderful things like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just noticed something in one of the screenshots. Could you take a closer look at the left side of the volcano?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I climbed a bit further from the shrine, and rather than making resist food I just horked down apples and chicken to offset the environmental damage. Really the great thing about this game is that while they have intended ways to do things, if you find a workaround they say "sure, go ahead" instead of "go back and do it right." Shame they removed the Magnesis physics-breaking boat, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's right there on your quest log, destroy Ganon. May as well check it off the list.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

vdate posted:

God bless you, you loving madman. This is something only a crazy person would do, but it's the best kind of crazy. All I'll say for now is that I did the same zoom-out thing you did on the Great Plateau, and then just put down the controller for a second and went 'uh....'. I'm guessing drat near everybody did. Still, it's looking great so far, and I'm looking forward to more!

Yeah I think everyone does. It's one thing for reviews to say "this world is really big" and another to realize how many hidden corners there are in the starter area alone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Flame

Giant Horse

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ganonhorse is one letter too long, so mine's Ganonhors.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Max Peck posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: a detour (of a detour (of a detour (of a detour)))

Meanwhile Zelda's off fighting Calamity Ganon for 100 years going "it's fine, he'll show up soon, right?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can you cryonis yourself off the edge of the world map?

Sadly no. You will eventually hit an invisible wall. It was so jarring when I encountered that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sue, Sport-Utility Equine

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

This has my vote!

I like how you can't make the giant horse sprint. Perhaps your body could not withstand it?

Pretty sure it moves faster when I spur it, I just assumed it had infinite stamina. Never really tested.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That is a huge spoiler, mate.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unseen: octorocks being crack-shot snipers. They will lead their target and if you leave one alive it will nail you from a mile away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm starting to greatly appreciate this theme of "decide where to go next through some random, arbitrary means" thing.

It's incredible that you can just go to some random place in this game and find something. It may just be a korok, but there's stuff, and terrain, and maybe something that looks cool. The closest they get to "just put a texture here so there's not a hole in the geometry" is some of the fields, and even those have their aesthetic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If the only reason you want a Switch is this game, take a look at the WiiU offerings, you can probably get one for cheap and the game is fine on it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They'll also turn their heads to watch you. "Keep cool Bob, he hasn't seen you yet. Trust in the camouflage crouch. He just coincidentially happens to be walking this way with an axe."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The first Zelda game was open-world nonsense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The great thing about Eventide is that they give you so many toys to play with. So the challenge isn't "guess what they want you to do" but rather making use of a vast set of tools. Lightning happens more often so you can throw metal weapons at enemies, you can just shoot the weapons/orb off the Hinox (I've heard you can glide in and grab it, but either the window for that is tiny or I was doing something wrong), they've hidden tools around corners that someone might not even recognize as tools and someone else can turn into their main leverage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Why note shoot an arrow at random and follow where you shoot it?

Shoot an arrow into a wild animal and go the direction it runs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh god you're meant to use Cyronis to get to the island platform?

I found a boat on the eventide proper, put the orb there and then sailed the boat to the island to get it up to the platform.

I believe I used an octorok baloon, though it's been a while. In this game, "supposed to" is just a suggestion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FPzero posted:

Man I love how you can some puzzles in this game.

I'm pretty much done with the thing and I've been holding off on playing the game because I don't want it to end. I also want to play the game and finish it so I can start a new one and take a different route, see what I can do with the skills I've learned and such.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For people keeping track of music references, Hestu dances to Manbo's Mambo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Legend of Zelda: Barbie Princess Dress-up

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I feel like the bandanna actually looks really good with that shirt? Better than the hood, anyways.

Yeah, the hood doesn't quite mesh with the rest of the outfit. And I spent so often with the bandanna on for climbing, I just got used to that look.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hateno ho!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bit of a Freudian slip there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the temperature mechanics if you look at the thermometer in the corner. There's red and blue marks on the side for extreme temperatures that cause damage. Resistance clothes like the doublet will lower those marks, but the elemental weapons? They actually move the needle indicating ambient temperature. One of those little things that just makes the game click for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I got there while freezing to death (not enough cold resist, just chugging food) and assumed it would be a much tougher boss fight so I nope-d out. Went through more of the game watching it circle the mountain off in the distance taunting me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

That apparatus solution is beautifully spiteful. :allears:

The main thing to note for it is that the exit ramp isn't centered on the rotation axis, and perspective can mess with you so what *looks* lined up isn't actually aligned.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

same outfit, dye it red blue and white from the head down:911:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There's a PATH?! I spent ages trying to climb up the inside of a wet waterfall chugging stamina food! Succeeded though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zebrin posted:

The Champion of Hyrule people.
Still afraid of some chickens...

One of these days, I am sure that Nintendo will make the final boss some form of cuckoo monster, that summons the swarm when you hit it too many times in a row.

Due to this game's philosophy of "what the heck, sure" if you're clever you can goad enemies into triggering the cucco swarm.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I imagine you could also glide in through the waterfall as well.

Nope, the water knocks you down. That was the first thing I tried when I realized the shrine was halfway up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

...They crammed a mecha anime into Legend of Zelda, didn't they?

Wait'll you see Link's Sentai outfit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

What I'm getting from this is that Wind Waker Link had a giant robot lobster but couldn't be bothered to get it out of storage.

You didn't see the lobster? Man, you miss the best stuff if you fall for that game's fake ending.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yup, just threw a Guardian off a cliff like it aint no thang. Zora in this game are hardcore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Eventually I start getting some hits in. The main issue is Lynels have a lot of health, so it'll be a long fight and you will break several weapons in the process.

This seems like a good time to talk about the actual combat numbers, give folks a sense of scale. The Champion's Tunic lets you see hp of enemies, so this is all about as transparent as a game can make it without having some faerie show up and pause everything to explain it.

The attack value of a weapon is how much damage it does for each attack. Enemies don't have armor, they don't take reduced damage from anything, it's just "base attack damage, doubled if the weapon's thrown or breaks, extra damage for charge attacks [that I've never bothered to parse out]" plus some buff from whatever attack food you scarfed down (I would go parse this now but my WiiU is all the way on the other side of the room. :effort:). If your sword does 14 damage and the enemy has 60 health, it takes 5 attacks. For a sense of scale your starter bokoblins have 13 health, blues have around 70 and black ones have 240. That lynel has 2000 health. However you come at it, this thing is going to take some effort. On the other hand, Mega got a 24 attack sword from it instead of his 14 one, which would make going back and fighting it again substantially shorter.

The damage you take works pretty much the same way. It doesn't matter if a club is being held by a bokoblin, a moblin or a lynel, it has the same attack stat as if you picked it up. So if Mega had 9 armor (I believe that's what the gear has at that point going purely off memory), that 24-attack sword would be doing 15 damage every time it hit him, aka 3.75 hearts. So if you see a basic bokoblin with some nasty spiky club don't take it for granted; if he DOES hit you, that's gonna hurt.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At which point everyone who has played this game stops paying attention to the cutscene and starts trying to remember where that shrine is so they can hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just a normal day in Hyrule and another nostalgia reference from this game. Remember those giant death-robots in Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field?

• Locked thread