Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
'Let's Play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild': :stonk:

'SSLP': :stonklol:

God bless you, you loving madman. This is something only a crazy person would do, but it's the best kind of crazy. All I'll say for now is that I did the same zoom-out thing you did on the Great Plateau, and then just put down the controller for a second and went 'uh....'. I'm guessing drat near everybody did. Still, it's looking great so far, and I'm looking forward to more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
We will name our horse Tommy, because it is two-toned.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Well! They weren't foolin' about its giant-ness.

...if you'll excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to witness Big Horse with my own eyes.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

This is about as good as it's going to get since Ganondhorse is too long.

Also, having just made this trip, I have no idea how you're going to do this, but I'm all manner of eager to find out!

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 12, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Clearly, a) there's a heck of a lot of lurkers in this thread, and b) we collectively feel very strongly about the name of your absurdly gigantic horse.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It's Kass! :swoon: The most dapper birdman this side of Pohkiel from Legend of Mana! Meeting Kass is pretty neat - since he can fly he tends to turn up in all sorts of unlikely places, and you always know when he's nearby because you can hear that distinctive squeezebox tune at a volume proportional to his distance from you. (You can hear it in the background of the chained-rock puzzle!)

Junior G-man posted:

How long do those leaf people just hang around? I mean, that chained ball thing seems pretty elaborate. "Hahahaha! I will hide myself inside this obscure puzzle until a hero wakes up 100 years later who might pass this way and could possibly care enough to solve it!"

I mean, what do they do in the meantime? Does Hyrule even have broadband so they can check LeafHub or something?

They are forest spirits, after all. It's not clear whether they're mortal or what. Given that Wind Waker implied that the Kokiri changed into Koroks, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they aren't. They might just nap until they're found.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

We Leeroy'd into someone else's hide and seek game, half of the time while naked, the other half while dressed as Hyrule's best-armed tourist.

As an aside note on this - despite the fact that Nintendo passed up on a golden opportunity to make Link emote as well in this game as he did in Wind Waker, this Link has a heck of a lot of implied personality that largely comes across through inferred dialogue (i.e. what he'd have to have said to prompt some reactions from NPCs) and in the dialogue option choices themselves, which are often rather more... colourful than simple yes/no prompts. In particular, the options for *snip* made me realize that in this game Link is a monumental dork.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't put Leeroy-ing into somebody else's game of hide and seek for fun past him.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 15, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

I totally spaced - I'm sorry. I won't do it again.

edit: oh god my tables why is that image so gigantic

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Eh, might as well go to Kakariko and get the initial plot stuff out of the way up front. There's lots of time to get lost once the game's had a chance to establish itself!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Breath of the Wild is one of the few games that make me regret not having much to do with consoles. It genuinely looks and sounds like the best LoZ game ever.

That's kind of a tough call to make just based on how unlike other Zelda games (except the very first) it is. The whole go-anywhere-the-gently caress-you-please schtick changes the flow of the game a whole lot.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Is it worth buying the Switch for this game? It looks so ridiculously awesome.

While it's not a perfect game, it's excellent at what it does. When I bought the game (the WiiU version, since there was no way I was getting a Switch full stop, let alone for this game), I spent more than 24 of the first 48 hours I owned the game, playing the game, because it's so good at effortlessly sucking you into the world. One more hill to climb, one more new place to see, one more thing to find, and so on. On that note, the game largely avoids some of the problems I hear other open-world games have by populating the game fairly densely with handcrafted actual Things To Do. If you see something that looks out of place, there's probably something you can do with it! That said, the poster a couple posts above has a point, though - if you think you'll find poking around a big old world for shrines and Koroks and hidden places and so forth tiresome, possibly it's best to avoid it. So, use your best judgement. If that sounds like a grand old time for you and a Switch won't break the bank, why not? There'll probably be other games you want for it eventually, Nintendo first party IPs being what they are.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

I just got to the ruins myself. The guy standing at that monument says that parts of it are around... unless he doesn't say that if you're unable to show him what those pieces say?

Yeah, it's weird, he mentioned something similar for me, and he definitely gives you a hint on what to do to proceed. It's odd he didn't this time, though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Kakariko. It holds The Most Important Thing(s).

Thing(s) may not actually be the Most Important. Pretty snazzy, though!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

You can just magnesis the barrels instead of using stasis on the button? Why didn't I think of that the first time?

The_Final_Stand posted:

You can stasis the button instead of magnesis-ing the barrels?

breathofthewild.txt

edit: Well I managed to not post this until the update had gone up. Bravo me. Anyhow, it's Hestu! I feel for anybody who managed to miss this guy until a fair ways in, because the initial inventory is small enough that you might have to leave cool stuff behind on a regular basis, which would be terrible.

vdate fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 29, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ah, a vote about the Important Thing - dressing like a ninja Sheik. That's an auto-yes by me. Why would you ever NOT want the option to dress like Sheik?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Wear the stealth gear. Link with his hair done up with chopsticks always looked funny to me and being stealthy is more useful than you'd expect! (Admittedly Ganonhoof is kind of an impediment to stealth. Not easy to be stealthy when you're riding Raoh's horse.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ohoho, this event! This is some Princess Mononoke bullshit right here, and I mean that as the highest possible compliment. I stumbled into this real early; basically around the same time the LP did, but I didn't know that closing and opening the paraglider would refill your stamina. I did, however, have a lot of stamina elixirs handy, so... yeah! I was also running out of arrows by the time I got to the last eye, so it was rather an exciting proposition all around! (I was basically making the :stare: face the whole time, because this was NOT what I was expecting from my mountaineering adventure!)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Shoot an animal that doesn't die in one hit, then go in the direction it runs.

Alternatively, go on a sneaking mission to Hyrule Castle to see what you can see.

On an unrelated note, rendering it like this:

Weeble posted:

Keeping with my suggesting you go and see the sights of the

Volcano

means the only thing I can hear is the voice clip for Dart's second Addition from Legend of Dragoon.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Holy poo poo I never noticed this the first time but each champion has a picture of their thing on their blue uniform scarf! And Link's is...

Mega64 posted:

I never noticed this until this screenshot, but the four champions have the designs of their Divine Beasts on their blue cloths. You can easily see it in the fabric of Urbosa, the Gerudo Champion. Link's symbol is...a bit more iconic.

Goddammit Mega64 you scooped my revelation!

Cythereal posted:

...They crammed a mecha anime into Legend of Zelda, didn't they?

It was Zoids the whole time!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Prince Sidon is the best character in the game and no one else comes close. :colbert:

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

It's like they hybridized Kamina with a shark.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
He's named friggin' Lionel! How bad could it be?

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 22, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Sidon's fan club extends into real life, it would seem. I'd vote for the same but I think the Zora armour actually looks really good in blue and there's no 'un-dye' option.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Clearly, we need to invest in real estate. By which I mean go buy us a house!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I, uh... I may have lit four of five torches and then shot the last one with a fire arrow in lieu of figuring out the puzzle properly.

Mostly I wanted to see if the game would let me get away with it. I was still in the 'they wouldn't really let me do that, would they?' phase of my time in Breath of the Wild.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I see some armour and I want to dye it black!

Also, yeah, let's head up Akkala way, see what Hudson's stalled out on. Since Robbie's up there too, maybe we can fork over the rest of our Ancient whatsits to him. Maybe he'll upgrade Magnesis and Cryonis for us!

Also, a lot of the Hylian text in this game is recognizably English characters warped a little. The 'Link' on that sign is pretty clear, although 'Master' is definitely harder to get out of it.

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 15, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It's time for science! By which I mean 'visit the lab it's like right there'.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

bladeworksmaster posted:

Go west, young man. And do it wearing the Sheikah armor.

The Sheikah Set Counterclockwise Tour seems like a great idea!

vdate fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh man, I remember the first of the 'burn stuff' shrines. I had only like three regular arrows in the quiver when I got here, so I had to do the incredibly stupid dance of firing the flaming arrow at the out-of-reach vines, and then running over and picking it up again (since it'll just bounce off of stone surfaces) before it burns up.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why exactly does the game keep track of you getting all treasure chests in a shrine?

savixeon posted:

So the player knows they've gotten all the treasure chest in a shrine.

Ask a stupid question...

vdate fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 24, 2017

• Locked thread