Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Chiropractors are scammers

Pseudoscience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

slothrop posted:

What did the duck say to the chiropractor?

Quack

But seriously, I had a friend come see me at work today, he had hosed his back doing something silly and went to a chiro. He walked out and said "I feel worse than before I came in", the chiro told him he'd need to "walk it off"

A long time ago when I was applying for any job in the area that I was qualified for I went to a group interview for a receptionist position at a local chiropractic office. (I was super desperate.) It was more a sales pitch on the miracles of the "medicine" than an interview. "Chiropractic can cure cancer! It can cure infertility! Babies should be adjusted as soon as they're born! There's practically nothing that chiropractic can't treat!"*

*Literally things he claimed.

Then in the one-on-ones he talked about how the office often prayed together. I tried to bullshit my way through, but I guess poorly. I guess it was for the best I didn't get it, although it paid well...

Anyway, that's my story about chiropractors, thanks for reading.

Also, it's​ supposed to get sunny around here soon which means I get to take the beetle out more! And the first sunny weekend that I have free imma re-upholster the rear seat. I suppose I'll make a project thread for her as well. It won't be all about eating spaghetti off cars probably.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Chiropractors are quackery, but if you can find one that doesn't sell the bullshit, it's cool to burn sick time on a therapeutic massage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goober Peas posted:

Goons make the worst doctors. Lol at the quacks itt.

I'm trying to work out where the majority of replies being "gently caress Chiropractors, see a real goddamn doctor" makes for bad advice?

Actually it's pretty drat good to see a bunch of people say that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm trying to work out where the majority of replies being "gently caress Chiropractors, see a real goddamn doctor" makes for bad advice?

Actually it's pretty drat good to see a bunch of people say that.

Yeah, it was more directed towards the folks actually trying to dispense medical advice other than go to a doctor, but keep going. You're adding an additional interesting twist.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 2, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Telling someone to not see a chiropractor and see a doctor is like the opposite of giving medical advice. ???

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

quote:

muscle relaxers will get that fixed for you in three days (or at least make it so you can stretch it out and sort out the pulled muscle)

its definitely a muscle based on this which means the only thing they'll do is give you stronger ibuprofin and maybe a muscle relaxer and tell you to alternate between ice and heat

That is almost definitely a pulled muscle from sleeping funny,

It would have to be a constant issue, like if it kept happening over a month or something.

Shall I continue?

(i'm ribbing these guys and op a little. Dude needs to go to a trusted doctor for medical advice and not forums.somethingawful.com where everyone's credentials are dubious at best)

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goober Peas posted:

(i'm ribbing these guys and op a little. Dude needs to go to a trusted doctor for medical advice and not forums.somethingawful.com where everyone's credentials are dubious at best)

I assure you, sir, that my credentials are vouchsafed by heaven. No less.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The real question here is should the chiropractor ride a bicycle to work?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Safety Dance posted:

The real question here is should the chiropractor ride a bicycle to work?

Only in a clown costume. Preferably with a red nose that honks.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
So I offered the guy with the S12 500 bucks less than asking price (never pay ask) and he declined so I'll walk away and keep looking for a clean S12 hatch

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Also don't ask you doctor to change your oil. He may stick his dipstick in the wrong reservoir.

#freeinternetforumadvice

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Goober Peas posted:

Also don't ask you doctor to change your oil. He may stick his dipstick in the wrong reservoir.

Don't kinkshame me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So some 10 year old - or a castrado twenty something - has my wife's former number.
The little poo poo has been loving with anyone that has accidentally texted or called him since he got the number; being rude, cursing, name calling, threatening, etc...

First of all, why the gently caress does a ten year old have a phone?
Second of all what should I do about this? What would you do?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Get someone in another country with free international talk and text to rack that kid's bill the gently caress up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

Get someone in another country with free international talk and text to rack that kid's bill the gently caress up.

Gladly. You know anyone?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's the hard part.

Hmm. Does Skype still let you search for people by phone number? I remember once upon a time a forum I was on had a problem with some kid who got banned DDoSing us. We looked him up on skype, got a location and name, and called his mom.

The DDoS stopped.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Gladly. You know anyone?

Most of the Canadians and scandi itt should have it

Aussies too I think

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So some 10 year old - or a castrado twenty something - has my wife's former number.
The little poo poo has been loving with anyone that has accidentally texted or called him since he got the number; being rude, cursing, name calling, threatening, etc...

Call pretending to be competition that's been won, but say you need an adult's permission to sort out the XBox or whatever he's won, hopefully get his mother on the phone or to call you back, and give her the list of poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Call pretending to be competition that's been won, but say you need an adult's permission to sort out the XBox or whatever he's won, hopefully get his mother on the phone or to call you back, and give her the list of poo poo.

gently caress, that's good.

For bonus marks, see if you can get a 1-800 number to show up on caller ID using Google Voice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My 9 year old has a dumb phone. It's actually great because when he's out around the neighborhood playing with friends we just call him to come home instead of going to look for him. And he carries it when we go to places like Busch Gardens in case we get separated or something, it's great peace of mind honestly.

He doesn't really like it though, we have to make him take it, trying to get him in the habit of having it with him.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My nine year old has a smartphone. Its cheap and costs me like an additional $5 with my plan. I monitor it though and she doesn't even really use it much other than to talk to her grandma, so maybe I'm a bad parent, I dunno.

She has a Chromebook too, and mostly uses it for school and AnimalJam.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My 5 year old has an unconnected Android phone that I picked up off craiglist and wiped just so he can play games. Just a cheap stand in for a tablet.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random job chat: I'm sitting down to a 7 hour upgrade on one of our systems. I'm just remote hands for worst case, but it's got my workstation tied up. So, I can either work (haha!), drink, or list junk I've been wanting to sell on eBay. So far eBay is winning so far.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Will a 2 stroke auger be alright not running it out of gas every night after use? Because I am not going to do that. Started building my fence today I got two posts out of 45 set I am halfway there (I am using 8-12 foot 6x6 and having to do it myself)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

everdave posted:

Will a 2 stroke auger be alright not running it out of gas every night after use? Because I am not going to do that. Started building my fence today I got two posts out of 45 set I am halfway there (I am using 8-12 foot 6x6 and having to do it myself)

Are you talking 1 post a week or one post a month? Either way, it should be fine. I never run equipment completely out until I'm getting ready to store it longer then ~3 months.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

Are you talking 1 post a week or one post a month? Either way, it should be fine. I never run equipment completely out until I'm getting ready to store it longer then ~3 months.

I will be doing hopefully 5-10 posts a week just nights after work (out of town next couple of weekends). I am using ethanol free 40:1 tru-fuel. The manual says run it out after use but I can't/won't do that. Will be used at least weekly until fence done then I don't care if it ever runs again (need it to last maybe 2-3 months max)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have left a trimmer with tru-fuel in the tank sit for 2 years and it was fine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

I have left a trimmer with tru-fuel in the tank sit for 2 years and it was fine.

Great to hear, and alsonthanks spyder

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

Chiropractors are quackery, but if you can find one that doesn't sell the bullshit, it's cool to burn sick time on a therapeutic massage.

I see a chiropractor once in a while. But she's an actual doctor and physical therapist and most of what she does is actually deep tissue massage and she helps me stretch out kinks I can't do on my own.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

I will be doing hopefully 5-10 posts a week just nights after work (out of town next couple of weekends). I am using ethanol free 40:1 tru-fuel. The manual says run it out after use but I can't/won't do that. Will be used at least weekly until fence done then I don't care if it ever runs again (need it to last maybe 2-3 months max)

It will be fine, especially with tru fuel.

It doesn't have a fuel line shut-off? Seems pretty weird for the manufacturer to expect you to run the fuel tank dry, but I could see turning the fuel off and running the fuel out of the bowl.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

It will be fine, especially with tru fuel.

It doesn't have a fuel line shut-off? Seems pretty weird for the manufacturer to expect you to run the fuel tank dry, but I could see turning the fuel off and running the fuel out of the bowl.

ITs just the $250 auger with 8" wide bit that lowes sells (got it for $200) instructions explicitly say burn all the fuel each day. So I started with that in mind but couldn't get it to crank with just a 1/4 tank it said fill tank completely. Started right up after that. Like I said if I can get these 45 posts set with it I'm happy. Super bonus if it still running good after and I can sell it for $150. No cutoff or drain.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can probably get a cheapo plastic one wherever sells lawnmower parts and chuck one in. I know primeline for sure owns one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

ITs just the $250 auger with 8" wide bit that lowes sells (got it for $200) instructions explicitly say burn all the fuel each day. So I started with that in mind but couldn't get it to crank with just a 1/4 tank it said fill tank completely. Started right up after that. Like I said if I can get these 45 posts set with it I'm happy. Super bonus if it still running good after and I can sell it for $150. No cutoff or drain.

I did it the hard way, with a post digger son :colbert: Although the soil here is mostly sand so no biggie except when you run into rocks. I can't imagine hitting a good sized rock with an auger that's gotta suck.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've got stihl gear at work that sits for month and months with partial tanks of fuel in them with no ill effect. Chainsaws, augers, concrete saws and all of them are still going fine. The concrete saw is a bit sensitive to being tipped over (floods the carb and soaks the air filter) but that's also about 20 years old now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:(

The Tracer sat in a field on totally flat tires so the floorpans are gone.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I did it the hard way, with a post digger son :colbert: Although the soil here is mostly sand so no biggie except when you run into rocks. I can't imagine hitting a good sized rock with an auger that's gotta suck.

I have no idea how you did it. Last fence I built was when I was 15 or so and helped my dad with a post hole digger and I can still feel that special sort of chest muscle pain. I am thoroughly exhausted enough after just this initial try. But do remember I am having to dig down 18-36 inches and setting 6x6 posts sondont think too bad of me!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Woke up to a bunch of voice mails and missed calls from work this morning, looks like I'll have some interesting mechanical failures to fix when I get in in half an hour :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

everdave posted:

I have no idea how you did it. Last fence I built was when I was 15 or so and helped my dad with a post hole digger and I can still feel that special sort of chest muscle pain. I am thoroughly exhausted enough after just this initial try. But do remember I am having to dig down 18-36 inches and setting 6x6 posts sondont think too bad of me!

I'm going to be doing the same thing- except 48" down. Renting a Toro Dingo with a 16" bit for $150 and banging them out. Post hole diggers can suck it in clay soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Woke up to a bunch of voice mails and missed calls from work this morning, looks like I'll have some interesting mechanical failures to fix when I get in in half an hour :v:

I've been on annual leave for 3 weeks and all I've come back to is a billion emails not for me aaaaaaaaaaaaand a manual handling training course which involves taking part in things I can't be arsed to. I'm gonna say I have a bad back and then eat all the food they supply.

• Locked thread