Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

keykey posted:

Oh, hello May thread. May everyone have sex. Lots and lots of sex.

Can't, we've collectively thrown out our backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

RE: Fencing chat. If you are going to be knocking in posts do yourself a favour and get a post driver. Makes life much easier than swinging a big bloody Maul about - at least if you are like me and have crap upper body strength and worse hand eye coordination.

Like this

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wow, today sucked. But it's cool, because it's a job I actually like doing (which is super rare, I've discovered) so even the tough days are sweet.

Call 1: Hospice dude going to the VA 2 hours away. Nurse says "you may want to reduce the amount of oxygen he gets as you get closer, his mother died yesterday and due to the elevation change (phoenix to prescott) he may not make it anyway. Could you help 'ease the transition?'" Dude was in his 50's, weighed maybe 90 pounds. He was a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) patient, but that's not really my place to assist in death. While he had no family left, I think a calm, quiet room in a hospice center, versus an ambulance rattling along at 639k miles on Highway 89, is a better place to do so. Though his breaths were getting pretty agonal and strained during the last 20 minutes, and the sending nurse said he'd probably die en route. Did I just give him 2 hours more of pain? He definitely would have expired had I lowered the O2 during the trip, and maybe quicker than in a hospice center with pain medications. Another medic I talked with later in the day (HIPAA-scrubbed, of course), who I respect a TON and has been a medic for like 35 years, said I probably should have quickened the transition and done what the nurse asked/implied :ohdear:

Call 2: ALS (Advanced Life Support) call given to us, a BLS (Basic) unit. Vomiting blood. 350lb guy. Immediately wants painkillers and zofran (anti-nausea medication). Refuses to walk to ambulance, even though he was there standing when we showed up and said "They're here!" to his group home manager. 10/10 abdominal pain reported, "chest pain" on inspiration. Pain got worse magically the closer we got to the hospital, was angry when I told him we were a BLS unit (because BLS units don't carry medications, only ALS -- medications make things easier, but even a BLS crew can breathe for you or whatever in a traumatic injury, it'll just hurt more). Requested we go to a hospital that specifically doesn't have a gastrointestinal doctor, even though main complaint is vomiting/pooping blood. Hospital angry, other crews I met along the way laughing, because he's a known drug seeker. But "drug seeker," along with "negligence" and "malingering," are all Attorney Words. We don't use them. So we transported him and went along.

Call 3: Psych patient, allegedly petitioned (court-ordered treatment, placed either by a doctor, judge, cop, or EMS crew, always restrained at the wrists and ankles to the gurney for transport), going from the intake lobby of one psych wing of a hospital, to a petitioned-patient-only facility. At hospital, patient is in lobby, staff states patient flips out at the drop of a pin, is difficult to control. We ask for the actual court petition, they say they don't have it, the receiving facility has it. Ask to get it faxed over, they say the patient's daughter was the one that filled it out over there, but the receiving facility doesn't have it, and/or won't fax it. Due to this, and due to the fact that the patient is losing her mind, but is still simultaneously alert and oriented (can answer four basic questions about herself and surroundings), we can't restrain her or transport her against her will. Nervous tics and screaming don't give us authority to do that unless she makes suicidal, threatening statements, or is intoxicated (which she is not).

She refuses the transport, and states that she doesn't have a daughter. Sending facility, the psych wing of the hospital, wants to dump her into the street and get her out of the lobby. She freaks out whenever the gurney (or my partner, I guess she didn't like his tattoos) are in view. However, she still wants help of "some sort," so I do something TOTALLY taboo. I walk with her, partner 50 yards back or so, around the block. No gloves, no gurney, just as a person to help. I walk with her around to the emergency department entrance, the normal one. I get her inside (after much prodding and talking), get her sat down at the desk, and start the registration process with her. Having EMS crews in the regular ED lobby is crazy, because people literally start saying things like "look, now even the AMBULANCE is waiting with us!" (people said this as I walked in), but I believed it to be the best course of action for the patient. Get her help, don't have to restrain her or hold her down (didn't have that authority anyway), and maybe started some process to recovery or medication.

$11/hour, my friends. And that's AFTER unionizing. The first 3 years were 9.60.

That was my day, glad it happened. Resume regular weight loss and Group B chat (enjoy reading that).

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 3, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You're a good person. I don't know how else to express my appreciation for the fact that people like you exist in the world.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

You're a good person. I don't know how else to express my appreciation for the fact that people like you exist in the world.

Exactly my thoughts. That's some tough poo poo to deal with for no money... Hell, that's​ some tough poo poo to deal with regardless.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

:(

The Tracer sat in a field on totally flat tires so the floorpans are gone.

That never stopped Fred Flintstone :smug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Most days are 99% "taking grandma from the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) to the ED because she had an unwitnessed fall so the on-call physician requires a CT" calls, with the others sprinkled in. Today was just strange and lovely so I typed it out to cope and add to the chat thread post count. There have been many worse days, and there uave been many awesome days (like working turn 3 at PIR Saturday, as posted earlier).

The pay sucks, though, and since AMR has a monopoly, it is unlikely to change.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wow, today sucked. But it's cool, because it's a job I actually like doing (which is super rare, I've discovered) so even the tough days are sweet.

Call 1: Hospice dude going to the VA 2 hours away. Nurse says "you may want to reduce the amount of oxygen he gets as you get closer, his mother died yesterday and due to the elevation change (phoenix to prescott) he may not make it anyway. Could you help 'ease the transition?'" Dude was in his 50's, weighed maybe 90 pounds. He was a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) patient, but that's not really my place to assist in death. While he had no family left, I think a calm, quiet room in a hospice center, versus an ambulance rattling along at 639k miles on Highway 89, is a better place to do so. Though his breaths were getting pretty agonal and strained during the last 20 minutes, and the sending nurse said he'd probably die en route. Did I just give him 2 hours more of pain? He definitely would have expired had I lowered the O2 during the trip, and maybe quicker than in a hospice center with pain medications. Another medic I talked with later in the day (HIPAA-scrubbed, of course), who I respect a TON and has been a medic for like 35 years, said I probably should have quickened the transition and done what the nurse asked/implied :ohdear:

Call 2: ALS (Advanced Life Support) call given to us, a BLS (Basic) unit. Vomiting blood. 350lb guy. Immediately wants painkillers and zofran (anti-nausea medication). Refuses to walk to ambulance, even though he was there standing when we showed up and said "They're here!" to his group home manager. 10/10 abdominal pain reported, "chest pain" on inspiration. Pain got worse magically the closer we got to the hospital, was angry when I told him we were a BLS unit (because BLS units don't carry medications, only ALS -- medications make things easier, but even a BLS crew can breathe for you or whatever in a traumatic injury, it'll just hurt more). Requested we go to a hospital that specifically doesn't have a gastrointestinal doctor, even though main complaint is vomiting/pooping blood. Hospital angry, other crews I met along the way laughing, because he's a known drug seeker. But "drug seeker," along with "negligence" and "malingering," are all Attorney Words. We don't use them. So we transported him and went along.

Call 3: Psych patient, allegedly petitioned (court-ordered treatment, placed either by a doctor, judge, cop, or EMS crew, always restrained at the wrists and ankles to the gurney for transport), going from the intake lobby of one psych wing of a hospital, to a petitioned-patient-only facility. At hospital, patient is in lobby, staff states patient flips out at the drop of a pin, is difficult to control. We ask for the actual court petition, they say they don't have it, the receiving facility has it. Ask to get it faxed over, they say the patient's daughter was the one that filled it out over there, but the receiving facility doesn't have it, and/or won't fax it. Due to this, and due to the fact that the patient is losing her mind, but is still simultaneously alert and oriented (can answer four basic questions about herself and surroundings), we can't restrain her or transport her against her will. Nervous tics and screaming don't give us authority to do that unless she makes suicidal, threatening statements, or is intoxicated (which she is not).

She refuses the transport, and states that she doesn't have a daughter. Sending facility, the psych wing of the hospital, wants to dump her into the street and get her out of the lobby. She freaks out whenever the gurney (or my partner, I guess she didn't like his tattoos) are in view. However, she still wants help of "some sort," so I do something TOTALLY taboo. I walk with her, partner 50 yards back or so, around the block. No gloves, no gurney, just as a person to help. I walk with her around to the emergency department entrance, the normal one. I get her inside (after much prodding and talking), get her sat down at the desk, and start the registration process with her. Having EMS crews in the regular ED lobby is crazy, because people literally start saying things like "look, now even the AMBULANCE is waiting with us!" (people said this as I walked in), but I believed it to be the best course of action for the patient. Get her help, don't have to restrain her or hold her down (didn't have that authority anyway), and maybe started some process to recovery or medication.

$11/hour, my friends. And that's AFTER unionizing. The first 3 years were 9.60.

That was my day, glad it happened. Resume regular weight loss and Group B chat (enjoy reading that).

Dude, your pay sucks but I'm glad as hell there's people out there like you willing to do the job.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Most days are 99% "taking grandma from the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) to the ED because she had an unwitnessed fall so the on-call physician requires a CT" calls, with the others sprinkled in. Today was just strange and lovely so I typed it out to cope and add to the chat thread post count. There have been many worse days, and there uave been many awesome days (like working turn 3 at PIR Saturday, as posted earlier).

The pay sucks, though, and since AMR has a monopoly, it is unlikely to change.

Vent away brother - EMT's are the unrecognized heroes of the first-responder trifecta. You guys are awesome - keep being awesome.

ps - come up to Canada, I think we pay our EMT's a LOT more.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

loving hell, MGS.

So fencechat, I just got handed another job I don't have time for. Despite my protest, my wife decided to block her difficult thoroughbred in his feeding stall. I literally said, he's going to panic and go forward and tear down the fence.

Hey guess what. Notice the brand new hydrant that got broken off as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

loving hell, MGS.

So fencechat, I just got handed another job I don't have time for. Despite my protest, my wife decided to block her difficult thoroughbred in his feeding stall. I literally said, he's going to panic and go forward and tear down the fence.

Hey guess what. Notice the brand new hydrant that got broken off as well.

:colbert: A car wouldn't do that. Problem solved.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A Mustang will :iamafag:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

A Mustang will :iamafag:

Insufficient bystanders.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sadly, it looks like the bathroom thread has run its course. Driven into the ground by the OP's stereotypical goony and unrecognized sexism, and another goon being a goon.

It was fun while it lasted. :toot:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Seminal Flu posted:

Sadly, it looks like the bathroom thread has run its course. Driven into the ground by the OP's stereotypical goony and unrecognized sexism, and another goon being a goon.

It was fun while it lasted. :toot:

Yeah I'm kinda mad at that. I blame the GBS and DnD idiots for melting down at OP's sexism, instead of letting it ride and seeing how far the rabbit hole went.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I haven't been there since April 10, need to get caught up. Thanks for the reminder. I'll prepare myself for the inevitable shitfest at the end.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slidebite posted:

I haven't been there since April 10, need to get caught up. Thanks for the reminder. I'll prepare myself for the inevitable shitfest at the end.

Oh my god, it's been stickied. I've got almost 30 pages to catch up on...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

stump posted:

RE: Fencing chat. If you are going to be knocking in posts do yourself a favour and get a post driver. Makes life much easier than swinging a big bloody Maul about - at least if you are like me and have crap upper body strength and worse hand eye coordination.

Like this

It took me three re-reads to realize you were talking about putting up fences and not poking pokey swords at others. I shouldn't still be suffering from coffee deprivation at 11am.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

You're doing amazing work and deserve so much more compensation. Thanks for keeping at it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
For those who remember my NC/E93/997 post, I'm going to scratch the E93 from the list. It's a great car but I think I prefer the fleet feeling of the NC or the under your skinness of the 997. If anyone sees a cheap NC2 PRHT or 997 please feel free to drop me a PM.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'd been ignoring the bathroom thread for a while because all the goons tripping over themselves to make the same 3 jokes had gotten old, but that was so worth it to go back and read the last few pages.

Secret MRA was not what I was expecting out of that thread.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

I'd been ignoring the bathroom thread for a while because all the goons tripping over themselves to make the same 3 jokes had gotten old, but that was so worth it to go back and read the last few pages.

:same:

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Where is this bathroom thread? I feel like I'm missing out on madness.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh boy, do I envy you, embarking on this journey for the first time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Immediately wants painkillers and zofran (anti-nausea medication)
known drug seeker

How in the hell is Zofran abuseable? I know it can be a godsend for those going through opiate withdrawal, but I had no idea it had any abuse potential.

Also,

KozmoNaut posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went to get rascal out of his crate after I had finished painting something and this is how I found him

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I went to get rascal out of his crate after I had finished painting something and this is how I found him

He obviously wants you to paint him like one of your French dogs.

As an engineer (although not structural) I already find this very enjoyable. Does it get even much better? Does the bathtub take an exciting journey to the bottom floor? I'm excited to find out!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Some jackass shot an EMT the other day.

Now there's a shooting at a community college here.

Dallas, you're losing your mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Another medic I talked with later in the day (HIPAA-scrubbed, of course), who I respect a TON and has been a medic for like 35 years, said I probably should have quickened the transition and done what the nurse asked/implied :ohdear:
Well, he can go drive an ambulance then. You were there, you made the call you felt was right, and it wasn't one that actively harmed anyone.

ExplodingSims posted:

By MRA you mean Men's Rights Activist? Nothing about him comes across as one, he's just a bit of a melon who has some rather idiotic ideas about women and what they want, presumably because he's not actually encountered that many of them, never mind seen their bathrooms.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Well, he can go drive an ambulance then. You were there, you made the call you felt was right, and it wasn't one that actively harmed anyone.

By MRA you mean Men's Rights Activist? Nothing about him comes across as one, he's just a bit of a melon who has some rather idiotic ideas about women and what they want, presumably because he's not actually encountered that many of them, never mind seen their bathrooms.

It's not so much the quote that I posted as much as the wriest of the sillyness he posted after words

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

It's not so much the quote that I posted as much as the wriest of the sillyness he posted after words
Yes, I read the thread.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

True, it's mostly sexism, but the MRA streak is evident in phrases like

the guy with the dumb brain posted:

And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process,

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I doubt he wouldn't have gotten too much poo poo (but still some) if he didn't use the word "unfair". Thats hosed up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How in the hell is Zofran abuseable? I know it can be a godsend for those going through opiate withdrawal, but I had no idea it had any abuse potential.

Zofran isn't abusable. But an alcoholic will often order a burger with their tequila to convince both themselves and attempt to convince others that what they're doing is normal.

Also, his chief complaint was "vomiting blood," so that's part of the story.

Re: bathroom thread

His posts individually aren't MRA, but add them up and sketch out the worldview of whoever would say all those things out in your head. 9 times out of 10, I come up with a red pill truther.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 3, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

True, it's mostly sexism, but the MRA streak is evident in phrases like

Cage posted:

I doubt he wouldn't have gotten too much poo poo (but still some) if he didn't use the word "unfair". Thats hosed up.
Yeah, that's unrelated to anything "MRA". It's just sexist idiocy showing that he thinks either women get more than a 50/50 say in a couple's decisions, or - in my opinion, more likely to be what he meant - that they don't deserve that 50/50 because The Man is the one bankrolling everything.

And we thought LobsterboyX wanted to live in the 1950s...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

semantics aside the guy revealed himself to be a bigoted oval office so we can leave it at that

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

semantics aside the guy revealed himself to be a bigoted oval office so we can leave it at that
Basically.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

Haha, that's the truest part. If you're really designing a bathroom for (stereotyped) women I wouldn't build a crazy hard to clean tub, I would build a 12' long vanity with shelving on either side and a soundproof toilet cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Just got a personal property city tax of $1100. Maybe I should go back to old, beat-up cars.

• Locked thread