Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a personal property city tax of $1100. Maybe I should go back to old, beat-up cars.

Sailboat? I might owe the princely sum of $17 next year on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a personal property city tax of $1100. Maybe I should go back to old, beat-up cars.

How much did the Gorester or MR2 cost you?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

Sounds like you are playing Monopoly and got the worst Community Chest of all time

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wow, today sucked. But it's cool, because it's a job I actually like doing (which is super rare, I've discovered) so even the tough days are sweet.

That was my day, glad it happened. Resume regular weight loss and Group B chat (enjoy reading that).

I sincerely hope I never end up needing a ride in your bus, but if I do, I could do a lot worse. :patriot:

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

If only it was easier to relocate to a state without an idiotic concept of personal property taxes in order to avoid that nonsense. Don't forget that some counties in Virginia also tax pet ownership.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ahhh just landed in Austin :burger:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

pr0craztinazn posted:

Don't forget that some counties in Virginia also tax pet ownership.

Ummmm..... what the gently caress? Pet ownership taxes??????

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummmm..... what the gently caress? Pet ownership taxes??????

They're referred to as licenses, but that strikes me as a tax, as I've not heard of many other places that have such requirements. Edit: googling notes this is actually common practice and I'm just an idiot.
https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=553
http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/police/animalcontrol/pages/dog-license-information-.aspx
http://www.richmondgov.com/AnimalControl/PetLicense.aspx

pr0craztinazn fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 4, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Adiabatic posted:

That's for your AMG merc, right? Is that 6 months or a year? And did it qualify for the tax relief bit?

Just wondering. The first time I registered my old duramax in Henrico I was shocked at the 700ish tax bill for 6 months. Apparently 3/4 ton trucks didn't qualify for the 50% off tax relief that normal vehicles did.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

rdb posted:

That's for your AMG merc, right? Is that 6 months or a year? And did it qualify for the tax relief bit?

Just wondering. The first time I registered my old duramax in Henrico I was shocked at the 700ish tax bill for 6 months. Apparently 3/4 ton trucks didn't qualify for the 50% off tax relief that normal vehicles did.

Thankfully it's for all my vehicles aside from the boat (which also came but it's in both our names) and it's for the full year. There's discounts involved? I didn't look at it too intently just yet.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine used to say something about tax relief and had two columns on the bill, one with the discount and one without. $1100 for the year sounds like the relief was factored in unless things changed since I moved a couple years ago.

This describes it:

http://henrico.us/finance/divisions/revenue-division/personal-property-tax-relief/

It should apply regardless of your jurisdiction.

rdb fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 4, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Third part of Clickspring's new project is up. Not sure if you guys dig on his stuff, but the new project is quite the undertaking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tRUVGTjLJA

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have a business now and have to pay a yearly tax on THINGS I OWN. Like the value of your desk and your laptop and your file cabinets. Now for my tiny business this is a super low tax (I pay like $20-30) but I find this the most insane thing I can think of.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

everdave posted:

I have a business now and have to pay a yearly tax on THINGS I OWN. Like the value of your desk and your laptop and your file cabinets. Now for my tiny business this is a super low tax (I pay like $20-30) but I find this the most insane thing I can think of.

They're considered assets of your company, imagine being a billion dollar company and using assets to hide your money so you can operate at a loss but have a shitload of money in objects that don't lose value quickly or something else diabolical like that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

They're considered assets of your company, imagine being a billion dollar company and using assets to hide your money so you can operate at a loss but have a shitload of money in objects that don't lose value quickly or something else diabolical like that

You have not hidden your money, your assets that you have purchased will still appear on the balance sheet and thence be seen in the P/L statement as assets - if your yearly change in assets exceed your yeary change in liabilites still shows on your gross proift and is very taxable. Just because you apply liquid assets to buy less liquid assets is not diabolical or even that wrong. Applying your depreciation schedules incorrectly on the other hand is.

An asset is allowed to legally depreciate in value to reflect changes due to wear and tear. Most assets are on a 3 to 5 year write down schedule where they will have a target before sale value - thence if you buy a truck as part of a fleet, you get to write off a percentage of value over the schedule. That will mean that a truck for instance reaches a legally allowed percentage of the orignal value and this reduction in value reduces the assets on the P/L. If you realise a profit or loss on sale of asset over or under the book value.... *shrug*

But jsut buying assets is not hiding your moeny.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 4, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if you tape bundles of cash to the bottom of the desks?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What if you tape bundles of cash to the bottom of the desks?

Have you declared value of said cash in the your ledger?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're uh, paperweights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

Ahhh just landed in Austin :burger:

Kerbey Lane Cafe. Get their queso. Not much else on the menu is worth writing home about (the food's pretty decent, but it's just diner fare for the most part), but the Kerbey Queso is pretty awesome.

Try to hit up Paco's Tacos too. My favorite tacos there are the Carne Guisada, Paco's Pick, and The Hatch. I'd suggest Torchy's Tacos too, but they're not an Austin exclusive anymore. Alamo Drafthouse Theater is also a good stop (if you go, show up at least 30 min early, and TURN OFF YOUR PHONE, they will absolutely throw you out if you so much as look at it once the lights go down), but they've expanded outside of Austin as well.

I'm probably gonna be down there sometime next month.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Apparently I have an ear infection.

:smith:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They're uh, paperweights.

As long as they are correctly valued, you are good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

That sucks dude, I feel you. Just recently got over complications from oral surgery, it was not fun.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Got that '92 Buick Roadmaster in my garage tonight to swap out the power steering pressure hose. Until I made a trip to buy metric crow-foot wrenches/sockets(?), it was nearly a failure, but with the crow-foots it was a manageable quagmire. There really is NO room to swing a wrench around in there, yick. Pictures coming in tomorrow cuz I'm phone-postin and pretty tires.

Wrar posted:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My last remaining grandparent passed today, and I kinda felt this was an okay place to remember him. He taught me that old cars were great and you could fix anything with bondo and duct-tape, and to always laugh at everything especially Serious Stuff. He surfed with the old California icons and fiberglassed boards for movie stars in Malibu & Hawaii back in the day. He lived for the water. Don passed away sometime last night in his sleep, at home, less than two miles from the shorebreak. He was an ornery cuss until the end and I will always remember the one heartfelt peice of advice he ever gave me:

"Get a screw-off job, so you can hit the beach instead"

His garage at the end:

Late 1940s/early 1950s woodie (Plymouth IIRC)
Some kind of surfer rat-rod Model A
1967 Impala convertible
1987 Jeep Wagoneer
Jeep CJ3B
Corvette C4
3rd gen 4runner
A wrecked Hobie Cat lodged down in the creek/canyon runoff below his house :v:

Surf well man, I hope the curl breaks late out there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rdb posted:

Adiabatic posted:

Thankfully it's for all my vehicles aside from the boat (which also came but it's in both our names) and it's for the full year. There's discounts involved? I didn't look at it too intently just yet.

What in the gently caress is this poo poo?
Taxes on land and buildings are bad enough. Where in the hell is this, so I don't move there?

scuz posted:

Got that '92 Buick Roadmaster in my garage tonight to swap out the power steering pressure hose. Until I made a trip to buy metric crow-foot wrenches/sockets(?), it was nearly a failure, but with the crow-foots it was a manageable quagmire. There really is NO room to swing a wrench around in there, yick. Pictures coming in tomorrow cuz I'm phone-postin and pretty tires.

Crow's foot wrenches are on my list. They're rarely necessary, but when you need them, they're a life saver.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

My last remaining grandparent passed today, and I kinda felt this was an okay place to remember him. He taught me that old cars were great and you could fix anything with bondo and duct-tape, and to always laugh at everything especially Serious Stuff. He surfed with the old California icons and fiberglassed boards for movie stars in Malibu & Hawaii back in the day. He lived for the water. Don passed away sometime last night in his sleep, at home, less than two miles from the shorebreak. He was an ornery cuss until the end and I will always remember the one heartfelt peice of advice he ever gave me:

His garage at the end:

1967 Impala convertible
1987 Jeep Wagoneer
Jeep CJ3B
Corvette C4
3rd gen 4runner

Sounds like the kind of guy the world needs more of. Sorry for your loss, but glad you had him in your life.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

His garage at the end:

1967 Impala convertible
1987 Jeep Wagoneer
Jeep CJ3B
Corvette C4
3rd gen 4runner

A legit cool dude.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Darchangel posted:

What in the gently caress is this poo poo?
Taxes on land and buildings are bad enough. Where in the hell is this, so I don't move there?

Virginia. I hear Connecticut can be quite high as well.

Even Indiana nails me with a yearly surtax on all my vehicles but it's not as bad. Only state I have lived in that did not was NY.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RIP awesome grandpa dude, cowabunga

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wrar posted:

Ear infections suck, hopefully they gave you the drops and it will clear up quickly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Witnessed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

I feel ya bud. I went from getting a $200 bill on like a dozen vehicles to getting a $500+ bill on a single vehicle.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sounds like he lived a good life. Sorry for your loss.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like an awesome dude and you were lucky to have him for the time you did. RIP

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In more :3: news, my daughter has named my new car Tobias. Now if I could just get "I blue myself" on a license plate somehow. I would get ANALRAPIST or SHEMALE but I'd be explaining myself too much.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So a buddy of mine is looking at a 1999 Range Rover.

I told him to never buy a $2500 Range Rover, but other than that advice, what should he be looking for if he goes to check this out and how bad of a vehicle will it be for him?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

In more :3: news, my daughter has named my new car Tobias. Now if I could just get "I blue myself" on a license plate somehow. I would get ANALRAPIST or SHEMALE but I'd be explaining myself too much.

just get funke

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I told him to never buy a $2500 Range Rover, but other than that advice, what should he be looking for if he goes to check this out and how bad of a vehicle will it be for him?

He should be looking for a different vehicle.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

It'll be interesting to see what sort of tricks you can turn with a car like that..

e: Is LTHDDY not available?

slothrop fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

It's a P38. It will break more. It is guaranteed to be in some way broken already.

Good that it's had the air suspension removed, as that's a common failure, but really? Leaf springs? Something tells me the owner doesn't know anything about the vehicle, and that's a big red flag.

• Locked thread