Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So some minor health issues my sister had been having are suddenly looking like they might be not so minor. She's having surgery tomorrow, and things could be serious. :ohdear:

I'm not a spiritual type normally, but any good vibes would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My father in law has been helping me renovate my laundry room. He's been a carpenter for 35 years and a supervisor for major commercial buildings (he basically build 75% of the new buildings in downtown Detroit). When we first started I was telling him about how diy is basically illegal in Australia and all that and he was all "wow those loving liberals ruining everything why can't they leave people alone?"

Today we got to the previous owners diy electrical and drywall work, which was a hot mess, and at the end of the day he was like "you know Tusen, maybe Australia has the right idea"

:newlol:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

eyebeem posted:

I wonder how much I would have made last year if I was paid my wage hourly instead of salary.

Ha. One of the reasons I got out of photography for a living is when I did the math on all the hours I spent doing poo poo not behind the camera. Should have never done the math because...

Previa_fun posted:

Just a warning: you can't un-know this fact.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So irritated right now.

Some of my extended family has found out about the impending wedding and are being pretty salty about not being invited EVER THOUGH WE HAVEN'T EVEN SENT OUT SAVE THE DATES YET.

And one of them I haven't even spoken to in 11 years. I hate family.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

So irritated right now.

Some of my extended family has found out about the impending wedding and are being pretty salty about not being invited EVER THOUGH WE HAVEN'T EVEN SENT OUT SAVE THE DATES YET.

Ahahahaha

It has just begun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

So irritated right now.

It is really helpful to narrow down who you aren't inviting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Ahahahaha

It has just begun.

I hate my entire embarassing extended family. I wasn't going to invite any of them. Like, my parents and siblings and that's where it ends. I made my own loving family.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

loving go for it then. It's your wedding, and if your extended family is terrible, gently caress 'em, don't let them drag your and your wife-to-be's day down.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I hate my entire embarassing extended family. I wasn't going to invite any of them. Like, my parents and siblings and that's where it ends. I made my own loving family.

Tell them to gently caress off basically. My wife's extended family did the same poo poo and she told them it's not about you, sorry not sorry.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My wife and I got married at the court house to avoid it all. Did it at lunch time, grabbed Spaghetti Factory for lunch afterward, then I went back to the office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eyebeem posted:

My wife and I got married at the court house to avoid it all. Did it at lunch time, grabbed Spaghetti Factory for lunch afterward, then I went back to the office.

As much as I'd prefer that, she wants a real wedding and I will do whatever she wants because it will make her very happy.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

As much as I'd prefer that, she wants a real wedding and I will do whatever she wants because it will make her very happy.

We both kind of wanted a "real wedding", despite my Mom making a lot of cracks about just eloping. Afterwards, we both kind of agreed it wasn't worth it, and tacitly agreed to never bring it up again. Except the log sawing. Surprising everyone with us having to saw a log in half was loving great.

Not saying you should change anything, because I definitely get the "she wants it and it'll make her happy", but it might be one of those things you just kind of let go.

Also, good luck! Not with the wedding, that'll be usual wedding fanfare, but good luck dealing with family. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's had a bad year and man, the day I proposed I just have never seen her so drat happy. She was just bursting with joy. I keep looking back at the photos from that day and she just radiates happiness. So yeah, I absolutely have to give her the best wedding we can manage. She deserves it.

In other news, Miata is still borked and I got offered a chance at a new job based entirely on my "incredible people skills" today. I'm not planning on leaving my current job but it was a great feeling.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

eyebeem posted:

Eh. In an alternate universe my hourly rate would be less to compensate. That's how free market employment works.

Heh, I was getting paid a flat rate bi-weekly, and then out of nowhere the owner decided he wanted us clocking in/out which still makes no sense to me. Then got all pissy when I started leaving at 6 and never showing up on weekends...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Watching turbines rev up after youve been working on them nonstop for a week is really loving cool

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had to send out invites to people I never wanted to see and I knew would never come to the US for it because my mother didn't want to upset anyone. Some of those I had to invite include literal drug dealers and rapists.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well looks like my sister's all right. It was a rapid growth cancerous mass, they think they got the whole thing. Some light chemo and she should be fine.

drat this has been a rough 12 hours.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Grats, enourmo. That's one helluva bullet to dodge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Well looks like my sister's all right. It was a rapid growth cancerous mass, they think they got the whole thing. Some light chemo and she should be fine.

:unsmith: Hooray!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My mom had a shitfit because I didn't want to invite my rear end in a top hat aunt who was a huge pain in the rear end at my sister's wedding. Mind you, this side of the family mostly ignored my immediate family for 15 years. I didn't invite said Aunt because it was our wedding and I don't really care much about her family drama bullshit. No mention of it since.

That's awesome Enourmo. Glad your sister is ok!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BigPaddy posted:

I had to send out invites to people I never wanted to see and I knew would never come to the US for it because my mother didn't want to upset anyone. Some of those I had to invite include literal drug dealers and rapists.

You'd think that a drug dealer would be the ideal person to invite: great chance of getting a generous wedding gift of cash (albeit in crumpled dollar bills)

The rapist, not so much.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Calling in 'sick' to look for jobs is a better use of your time than sitting at work and fiddle-fartin' around without getting anything done."

~me 2 hours ago

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Technically it's a better use of company time (assuming you have paid sick/personal leave)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a win-win for sure.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

#dadwinning

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

:3:

T-shirt is rad, too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

You'd think that a drug dealer would be the ideal person to invite: great chance of getting a generous wedding gift of cash (albeit in crumpled dollar bills)

The rapist, not so much.

Yeah I can vouch for it being little fun having a party where a guy who has said questionable things in the past is invited. Even less so when you find him sexually assaulting a passed out friend of yours after drugging, plying with alcohol and failing to secure a threesome with his girlfriend and her innocent yet dumb friend.

We enjoyed 'removing' him from the party quite a lot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's why we decided on mom staying home for awhile, what's the point of working if most or all of your paycheck goes to childcare? Yeah it was tough for awhile and I worked 50 and 60 hour weeks for what seemed like forever, but my son was taken care of by his mother until he was 7yrs old and you can't buy that. Now the wife is making great money and making up for the lost work time :v:

We did that. My wife was only finding part time stuff anyway that would pay less than daycare cost, so yeah, no way we're going to pay for the privilege of working. Daycare got cheaper after my daughter was a year old, so wife went back to work. I still cringed at the yearly cost - I could have bought a car!

On the topic of healthcare, I just looked at the premiums for the company I'm contracting through. Of, my poor rear end in a top hat. Just the healthcare is going to be $277 a *week* for high-deductible we-don't-pay-anything-until-you-spend-$10k bullshit. Over double what I was paying for better insurance with the outsourcers I was with. Blue Cross-Blue Shield. They do have a more basic program that's cheaper AND has no copays, but it does not cover any hospitalization. They offer a separate "pays cash" add on for hospitalization, that brings it back up to just under the other option, but the $0 out of pocket should make up for it. Going to run it by the wife tonight. Jesus, the pay increase over the first outsourcer I was with was just completely negated by the healthcare cost.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

Good stuff, man.

spog posted:

"They're dirty"
"They're non-consecutive, though..."

spog posted:

The rapist, not so much.
Taking the nuclear option with the "have everyone else be less appealing so they don't get last minute cold feet" technique.

scuz posted:

"Calling in 'sick' to look for jobs is a better use of your time than sitting at work and fiddle-fartin' around without getting anything done."

~me 2 hours ago
Remember, a 10 minute poo poo break every workday is a week's paid holiday per year!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Adiabatic posted:

Watching turbines rev up after youve been working on them nonstop for a week is really loving cool

dont listen to this guy hes a loving naive idiot who thought hed be leaving after only 7 hours

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

dont listen to this guy hes a loving naive idiot who thought hed be leaving after only 7 hours
The good thing about turbines is they'll run on drat near anything you can shove in there. Petrol. Diesel. Coal dust. Managers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BigPaddy posted:

My wife really really really didn't want one particular uncle on her side being invited but her mum forced her into it. I posted them.

Well, almost all of them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

My wife really really really didn't want one particular uncle on her side being invited but her mum forced her into it. I posted them.

Well, almost all of them.

whatta nice guy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh boy BRZs/FR-Ss are now getting to the real cheap price range

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Remember when you could get cheap RX8s to drop in V8s? Well almost that time with the Toybaru.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Turbo Conversion Audi started and idled for the first time!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Remember when you could get cheap RX8s to drop in V8s? Well almost that time with the Toybaru.

You can still get cheap rx8s. Just not cheap enough. :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

oh boy BRZs/FR-Ss are now getting to the real cheap price range

They're going to get cheaper soon since rumours are floating around that Toyota's going to announce a second gen BRZ/whatever86 for the 2019 model year.

Seriously considering picking one up when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't tell the tone intended by text alone, so bite me ging.

• Locked thread