Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

CornHolio posted:

So a buddy of mine is looking at a 1999 Range Rover.

I told him to never buy a $2500 Range Rover, but other than that advice, what should he be looking for if he goes to check this out and how bad of a vehicle will it be for him?

Head gaskets. What exactly does he want it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CornHolio posted:

I told him to never buy a $2500 Range Rover, but other than that advice, what should he be looking for if he goes to check this out and how bad of a vehicle will it be for him?

He should be looking for a spare car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ormy posted:

Head gaskets. What exactly does he want it for?

A daily driver. Right now he drives a Jimmy with a badly slipping transmission.

I don't know much about old Range Rovers other than 'do never buy' but I want something more concrete to tell him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I also saw a $2500 1999 Range Rover with a broken engine recently. Here's what I wrote about it.

my hands, incapable of being stopped posted:

You are at a posh private school, angry because the nanny had some kind of family emergency and couldn’t drop off Zjaden this morning. That’s when you feel it, on some level beyond the physical.

When you look up from your smartphone, the normally-taciturn sun visors of your Audi SQ5 start flapping. The dashboard flashes a series of increasingly dire warnings, finally settling on “BIOHAZARD DEFENSE ACTIVATED.“

You feel as if you are now constantly in a car crash, but you are still parked. Barely a breath later, the exterior glass explodes under the strain, showering you in glimmering cubes. With the interior of the Audi now open to the air, that’s when you hear it.

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The sky is growing dark in what is left of the rear-view mirror. Is it a tornado? Are you caught in a terrorist attack?

It has not stopped. In fact, it grows closer. TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Children are crying on the sidewalk, including Zjaden, who has collapsed face-first onto the pavement, blood streaming from his ears and eyes. You know in your heart this is Judgment Day.

Finally, a rusty 1999 Range Rover Classic bursts into view, a cloud of impenetrable ash in the shape of a human skull trailing it. The front end is gone, mangled back to the bare suspension supports which are welded directly to the valve covers of the immense green engine that is its screaming heart.

As it passes you, the rear air suspension of the Rover explodes, showering the battered side of your carbonized Audi with shrapnel of only the finest British manufacture. Somehow you remain conscious, but you know it is too late for your son. The last thing you see before the cloud overtakes you is the words “STRANGE ROVER” punched into the remaining intact metal of the truck’s tailgate.

That night, you return to your $1.3 million McMansion atop Posh Hill and declare your intention to leave your husband. Coming this close to death has changed you, but you can’t admit it to yourself or to him that you were living a lie all this time. He refuses, your contract of mutual support inviolable. The argument becomes heated. A revolver is withdrawn from your purse. Two shots, centre mass.

As you walk to the desiccated husk of your Audi, dripping liquid diesel from its panels into the storm sewer, you take your time. It is a certainty that the police will never arrive. They are too busy following a luxury SUV after getting pollution and noise complaints from the railroad and airport.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Surf well man, I hope the curl breaks late out there.
We'd all be happy to have a grandpa like that. Condolences, TRN. :sympathy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm having a problem.

I've been lifting weights roughly 3-4 times a week for a month now and last night I realized that they're going up into the air far too easily. Did I break the weights?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

I've been lifting weights roughly 3-4 times a week for a month now and last night I realized that they're going up into the air far too easily. Did I break the weights?

make them heavier

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Grunt more. That's what the hot jocks at the gym do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm not an alchemist!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

Congratulations, you can now graduate past the pink 2lb dumbells. Try the 5s next :v:

In all seriousness, progression is satisfying.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

Call the Smithsonian, you're a modern marvel and should be preserved (preferably in bronze) for future generations to appreciate.

grats

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you've never really lifted before, the first few months of weight lifting are incredible. You'll never see gains/progression like that again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

If you've never really lifted before, the first few months of weight lifting are incredible. You'll never see gains/progression like that again.

I've tried to do this in the past but I never put the whole diet and exercise thing together properly. This time I think I might have found the proper balance. I'm also 7 pounds away from my 90 day goal and I'm on day 54.

Down side, I slightly tweaked my back yesterday at work so I had to go a bit easy and now my right wrist is acting up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slothrop posted:

It'll be interesting to see what sort of tricks you can turn with a car like that..

e: Is LTHDDY not available?

These are both excellent suggestions, perhaps BYCURIS, or FTHRBTM.

Tobias Funke is one of the best characters ever. How and why did David Cross take those drat awful Chipmunk movie roles?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Tell him to buy a $2500 corolla or camry and enjoy life. Plus that looks and sounds more like a $700 RR

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: Roadmaster tiiiiiime :siren:

Taking pictures while working on cars is something at which I am VERY BAD so I wish I had more snaps. Here goes:

Was in my garage to change the aforementioned pressure line hose. I found the very last one in existence anywhere in Minneapolis

This loving outlet's flare nut was pissing me off but it's okay now. It's okay.

Rhyno posted:

I've tried to do this in the past but I never put the whole diet and exercise thing together properly. This time I think I might have found the proper balance. I'm also 7 pounds away from my 90 day goal and I'm on day 54.

Down side, I slightly tweaked my back yesterday at work so I had to go a bit easy and now my right wrist is acting up.
Just imagine how much worse it woulda been without any strength training! :buddy: What's up with the wrist? Pain while moving and stuff?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Tobias Funke is one of the best characters ever. How and why did David Cross take those drat awful Chipmunk movie roles?

Cross has spoken about it before, it basically boiled down to "it paid a lot of money." At the very least it seems like he puts in a good day's effort for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pNO9OM2MA

One day I hope to have a defensive interview with ABC News on a golf course with a beer in hand.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 4, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Cross has spoken about it before, it basically boiled down to "I needed money."
Steve Martin did the abhorrent Pink Panther remakes because he wanted to buy another painting by Monet so :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Just imagine how much worse it woulda been without any strength training! :buddy: What's up with the wrist? Pain while moving and stuff?

Yeah it's rotational pain. I can move my hand back and forth with no problem but if I twist my wrist it's a slight pain. I have a brace from an injury years ago so that's helping me from hurting it more.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ice-T put on a dog mask for Tank Girl. Letterman or someone was making fun of him for it, and he was all "They paid me a million dollars to put that poo poo on." Then he pointed at the audience and said "Every one of you would have done that. ONE MILLION DOLLARS."

I think any working actor can put a good day's work into a role, they have no control over whether or not it turns out to be a poo poo product, especially at the point of contract signing. They gotta earn a paycheck just like the rest of us.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 4, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's rotational pain. I can move my hand back and forth with no problem but if I twist my wrist it's a slight pain. I have a brace from an injury years ago so that's helping me from hurting it more.
Had a similar problem after I started lifting. When doing low-back squats, my wrists were supporting the bar at a super hosed-up angle and by keeping them straight it got better and I didn't have to take any down time. Sucked for a while, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Be careful, and post a form video in YLLS if you want some pointers. Good form is probably one of the most difficult things for relative newbies to weightlifting to master.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think Jackie Chan said he did the Rush Hour movies so he would have money to make the movies he wants in China.

I think Vin Diesel did something similar too.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mariooncrack posted:

I think Jackie Chan said he did the Rush Hour movies so he would have money to make the movies he wants in China.

I think Vin Diesel did something similar too.
Heard something a while ago that Vin said that he does stuff like the Fast and Furious movies so that he can make stuff he loves, like Riddick films and live-action D&D-style movies (The Last Witch Hunter). He's a total nerd and it's awesome.

The Midniter posted:

Be careful, and post a form video in YLLS if you want some pointers. Good form is probably one of the most difficult things for relative newbies to weightlifting to master.
:agreed:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

My 5 year old has an unconnected Android phone that I picked up off craiglist and wiped just so he can play games. Just a cheap stand in for a tablet.

My kids basically get my wife and my old phones for this exact reason. They still aren't getting a sim card to rear end of with though, because gently caress overages.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

Ice-T put on a dog mask for Tank Girl. Letterman or someone was making fun of him for it, and he was all "They paid me a million dollars to put that poo poo on." Then he pointed at the audience and said "Every one of you would have done that. ONE MILLION DOLLARS."

I think any working actor can put a good day's work into a role, they have no control over whether or not it turns out to be a poo poo product, especially at the point of contract signing. They gotta earn a paycheck just like the rest of us.

Except Tank Girl is a cult classic and is actually highly entertaining?? Soundtrack was fun too and featured what is one of the greatest songs ever produced...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYsGWh_vpE

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

Buy a set of adjustable dumbbells, Bowflex or powerblocks

In other news Austin has incredible food. Finally tried shake shack and it's loving amazing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

Buy a set of adjustable dumbbells, Bowflex or powerblocks

WHOOOSH

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

scuz posted:

Had a similar problem after I started lifting. When doing low-back squats, my wrists were supporting the bar at a super hosed-up angle and by keeping them straight it got better and I didn't have to take any down time. Sucked for a while, though.

Your wrists and arms shouldn't be supporting the bar at all, it's all in the upper back. Make sure your shoulders are stretched out and try and put your hands as close together as possible on the bar, then lift your elbows up. This creates a perch on your upper shoulders/traps and you barely need any pressure at your hands to steady the bar.

That's how I've learned, at least. And no pad on the bar.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

So I'm having a problem.

Have you tried just holding them there after you've lifted them? You have to wait for them to get their weight back.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Your wrists and arms shouldn't be supporting the bar at all, it's all in the upper back. Make sure your shoulders are stretched out and try and put your hands as close together as possible on the bar, then lift your elbows up. This creates a perch on your upper shoulders/traps and you barely need any pressure at your hands to steady the bar.

No pads, no gloves. And sound advice.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Yeah, I guess "supporting" was the wrong word to use there since what you're describing is how I do stuff (now, anyway :buddy: ) Pads are stupid and gloves keep you from building callouses, which are badass.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

No pads, no gloves. And sound advice.

That stupid pad thing should never have been invented, it screws up your form so much.

Also

:) "What kind of workout do you do?"
:clint: "I lift weights."
:) "What about cardio?"
:clint: "I lift weights faster."

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

That stupid pad thing should never have been invented, it screws up your form so much.

Also

:) "What kind of workout do you do?"
:clint: "I lift weights."
:) "What about cardio?"
:clint: "I lift weights faster."
They got complexes for cardio! Excuse the T-nation weird-ness, there's still good exercises in there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

scuz posted:

They got complexes for cardio! Excuse the T-nation weird-ness, there's still good exercises in there.

Holy poo poo that website. Ugh.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Holy poo poo that website. Ugh.
It's detestable, no doubt. I have half a mind to translate all of their useful information (what there is of it) and dump it on another blog just to keep everyone from having to visit that abhorrent site.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

scuz posted:

Steve Martin did the abhorrent Pink Panther remakes because he wanted to buy another painting by Monet so :shrug:

Michael Caine famously said about Jaws: The Revenge posted:

I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

keykey posted:

My kids basically get my wife and my old phones for this exact reason. They still aren't getting a sim card to rear end of with though, because gently caress overages.

Just uh, keep in mind that even a phone without a SIM can still dial fun numbers.

Like 911.

And a larger PSAP has the ability to get a decent location on the phone if that happens.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Thank you guys so much for the bathroom thread, it's everything I want in my Something Awful Forums User Experience. I appreciate the twists and turns, how the plucky protagonist goes through the classic character arcs of hero, victim, and villain, and how the inevitable final character reveal was foreshadowed in the very first post of the saga. All around great thread, A+, would read to my children as a warning of the type person to avoid/not become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the Grandpa condolences dudes, it was appreciated. He was definitely one of a kind. In his honor I already had a hotflash about putting the corvette engine into the CJ3B somehow since they are both pretty trashed and destined for the junkyard or come-and-take-it craigslist prices anyway. Too bad the CJ has an engine compartment appropriately sized for it's stock I4.

scuz posted:

:siren: Roadmaster tiiiiiime :siren:
Taking pictures while working on cars is something at which I am VERY BAD so I wish I had more snaps. Here goes:

Incidentally, I will always love these because gramps had one a lot like it and used to take me to the beach in it :3: That thing is dope man.

• Locked thread