Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Locator posted:

IMO that's as 'real' as sailing gets. Just you, the wind, the water on your little boat. Good stuff.
Loved that little thing. Flipped it over so many times, eventually got pretty good at righting it in the middle of the lake.

Quoting so I can go back later and try this. Should do a test one this week then make them on vacation.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Presumably everyone has seen

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com

Are underfloor car lifts a common thing? Because that seems like an awesome idea.
Underfloor like that isn't as common for residential because install cost can be high and you don't get the ability to stack cars.

Count down to May chaos begins this week. Music festival Fri-Sun, vacation Tues-Sun, maybe go the 'The Vintage' then the E30 Brodeo the weekend after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nm posted:

An activity that is fun (like cycling, but other work) is more sustainable long term than just getting on a machine and exercising in one place.
Fun can be a part of it but so can ease of use. I have a kayak but between loading, unloading and all the other poo poo it adds ~30 minutes before I even factor in driving time if I want to take it out. Or I could throw on some shorts and walk into the guest bedroom and hop on the rowing machine. Sure the kayak is more fun (most of the time) but the rowing machine is super convenient if I have a spare half hour and want to bust out some cardio to loud music. Same reason I have a basic squat cage and weights in the garage.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What's the difference between riding in place or seeing the same scenery every time you ride? I have a bike that I ride for enjoyment on the beach and trails, and I have a spin bike for daily exercise because quite frankly I've lived in this area for 30 years and it all looks and feels the same, so I'd rather not ride in the stifling heat or on busy roads with idiot drivers in an area that's no different one day to the next no matter how many routes I take. When I have time and the weather is nice and I want to enjoy myself, I put my bike on my car and go to the beach or local trail for a ride. When I just want to have a quick leg workout I jump on the spin bike. It's nice having both, and I have plenty of other activities that keep me outside so I don't need to be out on the roads.
efb - this

Darchangel posted:

I did play the closed beta of Quake Champions a little over the weekend, and I can say that they're on the right track. It feels like Quake, anyway. As I hear it, Overwatch has a lot of the fast-paced shooter feel that Quake Arena used to, and I guess Halo still does. I do like playing the fast paced FPS games like I did as a yoot. I also still suck mightily at them, and boy has it been a while since I played with mouse and keyboard. I mostly game on the Xboxen, but I recently got a 2011 iMac that has a decent enough processor and graphics card to run newer games on Win 10. Until then, I had an old Mac Pro from 2008 or 9 with a dual-core 2.8 GHz Xeon.
I got my invite for this but am still waiting on my new computer to show up to play it. Either that or I need to run a drat ethernet line to the back room and just play it on the simulator.

slothrop posted:

For fucks sake. Ordered some boots over a month ago from eBay. Now there's a circlejerk of blame. Seller blames Customs, Customs blame Australia Post, AusPost blames the seller. I waited 1/2 and hour on the phone for AusPost to tell me gently caress all this morning and an hour and a 1/4 on hold with customs to get nothing out of them. What a bunch of cunts.

I just want these loving boots. God I hate everyone and everything.
I'm with Tomarse, file a claim and let eBay deal with it.

Way off topic but what's the smallest enclosed trailer you would tow a ~14.75 foot car in? I've started trailer shopping and plan to keep it small to help keep weight down since I'm towing with the Tacoma. I think a 16' v-nose would be a little tight but a 18' might be ok. Will probably go look at some trailers in a couple weeks when I have some time and take a bunch of measurements.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lot of catch up after a week and change away...

Fo3 posted:

Looking at a bmw as well, but people not so helpful in AI anymore it seems. Anyway, people are just starting to chuck any motor in e30 and e34 and I think they're a good buy if I just get a nice stock one and hold onto it.
Welcome back. E30/34 chat if you find a clean, all stock one they're going up in value and are great to drive. But 'e30 tax' is making people ask stupid money even for lovely examples. M50/52/54 is a great swap option for better mpg and daily driving.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm also looking to get a trailer so I don't have to pay someone to move me. I think taking a load of stuff up with us every time we visit the wife's parents is much more preferred than paying someone to gently caress up my walls and furniture again. Also I'd get a trailer out of it so that's good.
You guys have any recommendations on trailers? Brands?
I could use some trailer advice too, am shopping for an enclosed at the moment but not seriously. Race car is 14.75ft long, ~2200lb. I need to test fit it in a 16' but I'm guessing that'll be way too short so shopping 18-22ft v-nose, low profile/height.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Some people's parents try to force their children to have these insane $200/person weddings while not helping at all with the expenses and the kids dont have the balls to tell their parents to gently caress off
So crazy some of the weddings my cousins have had, always destination trying to one up each other.

scuz posted:

Friend of mine with more money than he knows what to do with has a big interest in getting this old firehouse and living in it while converting the lower level into a full-on wrencher's paradise. I'm egging him on hard because living vicariously through a friend who has a firehouse seems like a good idea.
Someone on garage journal did similar and it turned out really nice. Encourage your friend. Lots of dead photos but some stuff works - http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75379

monsterzero posted:

I call 178lbs my get-hurt weight. :(
145 is my get sick/injured/busy weight. Someday I'll push past it and make some actual progress.

Geoj posted:

I'm more surprised at his ability to find a bank willing to write a note for that much on a nearly 30 year old car.
If blue book on the car is good it is VERY easy to get a loan for an old car if your credit isn't crap.

Got sick on vacation, still feel like poo poo. But being sick on the beach beats being sick at home. Even sick vacation was much needed and went well.

Race car is back in the garage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Larrymer posted:

If it's just a room, use powerline adapters. I ran one to my computer upstairs and it was as fast as if it was plugged right into the router.

I had completely forgotten these existed. Sounds like a much better option than crawling around the attic, drilling holes in the wall/ceiling and running ethernet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I play skyrim on my work laptop
New work laptop arrives Friday right before the long weekend. First thing installed will be Steam. I use my work laptop for 90% of my gaming, the sim rig gets used for simulator and that's about it. Should really move things around so I can use a mouse/keyboard on it more comfortably.

mariooncrack posted:

The humble store is having a sale right.
Woo adding more game to the backlog :argh:

spog posted:

Anyone who has a kid aged 1-7 might as well empty a dumpster inside the car and beat on the outside with a monkey wrench when they pick up the car from the dealer.
No matter how much of a car lover you are; a young mommies's car looks like it's been stolen and recovered from hobos.
Fiance and I were talking about this the other day, when we decide to have kids we're picking up a cheap disposable minivan. Might even pick it up earlier because we realized fitting three dogs (40, 80 and ~110lb) in either of our vehicles is going to be difficult.

Almost over this drat cold that I picked up on vacation two weeks ago. Down about 10lb and have no energy. Been force feeding myself and doing half days at work this week, slowly getting back to normal. Pisses me off because I brought the race car home on the 15th and haven't had the energy to do much other than look at it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

$750 will get you a full day in M4s and M3s with BMW's M Car Control Clinic which is well worth it
$750 will get you 90 minutes in the Porsche GT4 which doesn't sound like it's worth it
$1550 will get you a full day of the M School at either of BMW's performance centers (Thermal, CA and Greenville, SC)
I won the one day M car control clinicc it was great and probably worth ~750 for a day of throwing brand new M-cars around a track. The local BMW club does group trips to the M-school at pretty discounted rates. I haven't gone yet but I'm really tempted.

BloodBag posted:

I had a mini cooper and a Porsche 914 before I got married and through the joys of compromise over time I've never had a project car again. You think you know what's up but you really don't. It doesn't feel like change and the relationship stays the same, but in retrospect, it's a change and no it doesn't.
Stop, you're scaring me. So far she's supportive of my car obsession but wants me to build another garage so we can park the daily drivers in the attached garage and setup a large home gym there as well.

New grinding sound on the 320i noticed this morning. Other than that it's running great and I'm just trying to put miles on it before taking it to the mountains next weekend. Really need to do at least a garage alignment and borrow a set of corner scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone make an auto lift that doesn't require you to bolt it into the floor?
Most four post lifts don't require them to be bolted down. In fact many have optional caster kits so you can move it around the garage as needed.

Enourmo posted:

welp i'm 29 now, one more year and i can officially call myself Almost Old.

Now to figure out something I can do to celebrate that's low-budget and fits my lazy holiday mindset...
Happy birthday

Darchangel posted:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-scissor-lift-91315.html
There are some safety mods that a few folks have done (better/stronger/more positive locking when raised), but reviews on YouTube and such are surprisingly positive.
Friend who runs a detail business has one of these and has been very happy with it.

Powershift posted:

There are portable lifts that you wheel around like a pallet jack, but they're hella expensive.

e: here's a lighter duty one, that's kinda neat. http://www.asedeals.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/workhorse-portable-car-lift-msc-6k/
I think Dad's ordered one similar to this and I've been very close. They seem nice but I worry about storing a car on it long term

• Locked thread