Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

slothrop posted:

What did the duck say to the chiropractor?

Quack

But seriously, I had a friend come see me at work today, he had hosed his back doing something silly and went to a chiro. He walked out and said "I feel worse than before I came in", the chiro told him he'd need to "walk it off"

A long time ago when I was applying for any job in the area that I was qualified for I went to a group interview for a receptionist position at a local chiropractic office. (I was super desperate.) It was more a sales pitch on the miracles of the "medicine" than an interview. "Chiropractic can cure cancer! It can cure infertility! Babies should be adjusted as soon as they're born! There's practically nothing that chiropractic can't treat!"*

*Literally things he claimed.

Then in the one-on-ones he talked about how the office often prayed together. I tried to bullshit my way through, but I guess poorly. I guess it was for the best I didn't get it, although it paid well...

Anyway, that's my story about chiropractors, thanks for reading.

Also, it's​ supposed to get sunny around here soon which means I get to take the beetle out more! And the first sunny weekend that I have free imma re-upholster the rear seat. I suppose I'll make a project thread for her as well. It won't be all about eating spaghetti off cars probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Also don't ask you doctor to change your oil. He may stick his dipstick in the wrong reservoir.

Don't kinkshame me.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wow, today sucked. But it's cool, because it's a job I actually like doing (which is super rare, I've discovered) so even the tough days are sweet.
You're doing amazing work and deserve so much more compensation. Thanks for keeping at it.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Where is this bathroom thread? I feel like I'm missing out on madness.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I went to get rascal out of his crate after I had finished painting something and this is how I found him

He obviously wants you to paint him like one of your French dogs.

As an engineer (although not structural) I already find this very enjoyable. Does it get even much better? Does the bathtub take an exciting journey to the bottom floor? I'm excited to find out!

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Thank you guys so much for the bathroom thread, it's everything I want in my Something Awful Forums User Experience. I appreciate the twists and turns, how the plucky protagonist goes through the classic character arcs of hero, victim, and villain, and how the inevitable final character reveal was foreshadowed in the very first post of the saga. All around great thread, A+, would read to my children as a warning of the type person to avoid/not become.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

I'm so dependent on cars yelling at me if I leave my headlights on that I've left them on several times now on the Beetle, and either noticed running the dog out or in one case a visiting friend pointed it out to me. I need to look into some sort of after market chime, I really don't want to kill the battery, it's a pain in the rear end to access under the rear seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

True that your landlord is responsible for that, but I've built a good relationship with my landlord by making my own repairs and generally taking care of the place myself. I let him know each time I do/have done any maintainance, and he's never had a problem with it. He's also never raised my rent, which is unheard of in the area I'm in. I suppose this method wouldn't be effective if you live in one of those corporate-owned places, though.

LloydDobler posted:

Really you should wire the headlights through a relay if they aren't already, then wire the headlight switch through the ignition switch. There really is never a time when you need headlights on and don't have the keys handy.
This is a thing I'd like to do, thanks for the idea.

Fellow Beetle bro :respek:. I had to sell mine in November to get money to get away from a totally toxic relationship (but both of us are 1000x better than before, surprisingly), but I still have my 73 Dragonbus. I will have another beetle as time goes on, and probably another Super Beetle (though never a curved-window model - I respect them, but it's a 72 or 73 flat-window only version for me), and I'm going to start living vicariously through your posts and anecdotes.

I did everything to mine. Replaced every bushing, every mount, and every single piece of rubber that wasn't the window scrapers. I even put in pop-out windows and daily-drove it for nearly 2-3 years in Phoenix, and another 18 months at 50% duty along with the bus.

I never gave a proper introduction to your thread. While I may not be the air-cooled gurus that 14" and <dude who has that awesome red/gravel black-grey beetle he restored from the ground up, name escapes me rn but massive respect> are, I'm willing to help redneck you along the way if you want cheap, quick, and safe (if ugly) fixes, and tips on things I've learned.

I just finished reading your bus thread, dude! It is super inspiring and an awesome resource. You've done really great work on it. I'm super bummed you had to sell the beetle although I understand the reason. Had a similar situation in my 20s and leaving was the best decision I ever made. I hope you get another beetle soon. The world needs all the old beetles it can get.

I will definitely bug you for help. Heh, bug. I really want to do pop-out windows, and am considering a disk brake swap... I also have a leak to track down and possibly wiring to work on (radio goes out when it rains... Pretty sure it's coupled with the leak). I'd like to make her DD worthy, which will include making myself competent to driver her daily, so any of your wisdom (and any/all of AI) will be very highly valued.

I wouldn't count out the curved windshield bugs! It's nice to have that extra bit of room inside. It's not much, but it's noticible. My passenger wiper doesn't sit against it on the end, but whatevs.

BTW I loved your entry on the photo challenge!

Haha, thanks! It was fun and I totally wasn't self-conscious of eating spaghetti off my car while my neighbors looked on, thinking me a lunatic... :D

• Locked thread