Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Presumably everyone has seen

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com

Are underfloor car lifts a common thing? Because that seems like an awesome idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I bike to work when I'm not lazy but it's all of 1.9km each way.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Thoughts ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNb0RUCcbuo

For a pretty budget project car. Dude selling it gave me a walk around vid

e: yes it's cheap & bad & the paint is insanely terrible.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 2, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

monsterzero posted:

What kind of project do you have in mind? Lemons car? Do you have friends with a lot of farmland? I'd happily drive something like that gloriously into the ground but would not put money into it. Full disclosure, a few 80s Nissan Sentras touched me in the bad place so I may be biased against the make/era.

Cheap RWD 1980s Japanese car (my white whale is a good, mostly stock AE86 Levin or Nissan S12 hatch) to eventually repaint, find missing trim and chuck an SR20DET into for daily driving and straight up enjoying. I like poo poo old cars way more than anything modern.

t's road legal and appears mostly mechanically sound with a decent interior and the engine (while gutless) sounds ok. The paint is super poo poo and the missing bits of trim are mildly annoying.

For reference, RWD Japanese cars go for crazy money in Nz - probably because the huge majority of cars here are Japanese and mostly they've been fwd for like 35 years. The money the dude is asking is:
- approx 1/5th the cost of an AE86 with panel damage, non-road legal, etc

- less than all but the shittiest condition KP Starlet

-twice the price of an S12 rolling shell with no dash, engine or gearbox

I haven't seen a decent S12 for sale ever so I can't say what they normally go for (massively uncommon now) in comparison to this guys asking price.

Honestly if it was a S12 hatchback I'd have paid the man already, the notchback is slightly less desirable to me, and with the singlecam even more so. But I've literally never seen a good condition, running, road legal S12 hatch up for sale.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So I offered the guy with the S12 500 bucks less than asking price (never pay ask) and he declined so I'll walk away and keep looking for a clean S12 hatch

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

rhyno i'm pretty sure half of the drama in your life is self inflicted

This is probably the case with all people that experience a high frequency of drama in their lives

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm trying to figure out how vacation pay costs the company more/less than actually working, and I'm failing. When I've taken vacation, taxes were still taken out of my paycheck, and the company had to pay for it directly out of their own coffers.

Some is paid for in the budget when it's accrued, not when it's taken. That's the case with time in lieu that I earn for working overtime. No extra pay but accrue paid time off. I often have up to 4 weeks worth of time in lieu built, and then get about 4 weeks annual leave every year too

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 10, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Well I just got in writing that if I've got annual leave I should take it before end of financial year because we're completely over budget and there's going to be no funding until next year so I might as well be on holidays instead of sweeping out the shed. Even the state lands manager suggested we all take 6 weeks leave...

I work for a similar dept in Nz and accrue shitloads of leave through summer cos it's when we can do all our work and then have to take it in winter, when it's wet and cold and dark 15 hours of the day. Kinda sucks. Have 30 ish days racked at the moment, managed to take most of April off. Supposed to take it all before August but I keep accruing more and have got a office role for the winter managing stuff for a nationwide project where I can't really take time off so oh well. Gonna be sweet having 2 months leave next winter to rip into the landcruiser in my new shed

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I count birds for a living

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

They just end up looking slightly less bathtub-like than the convertible, and even less safe.

Anyone need a 1982 TE72 sedan with 3T-C minus the 5 speed? My dad drove 450 miles to drag a stripped one back from LA just to put the 5 speed in his Morris Minor. It was stripped almost a year ago and left in a backyard. It started right up and idled smoother than any Toyota 4 cylinder I'd ever seen. :staredog:

ps: The A/C is all there too

edit: I just have to bolt the driveshaft in and figure out a seat for superleggera* drift action

* no trunk, doors, seats, interior, hood, grille, lights, etc

Yes but I'm in the wrong country

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I like hoppy IPAs. Also coffee. I also spent quite a while staring at this page assuming LDS was a disease and trying to work out what it was.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

600 odd km from home, noticed a bit of play in my RF wheel bearing. Gonna just ignore it til I get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I think I'm gonna start drinking decaf after the first cup of the day, smashing 3-5 cups of coffee a day while I'm in the office for winter can't be good for me

• Locked thread