Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

Why can't Brits pronounce "room"? It's not a womb, there is a R at the beginning.
Uhh... Aside fron Jonathan Ross, I don't think I've ever heard that pronunciation? Sounds like it's someone with a speech impediment more than anything.

Also, "chassis" is a "sha", not a hard "cha", whereas "neanderthal" is a hard "t".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I'm planning a thread once we get going. We have a workspace and funds but nobody can agree on the car.
Well, do you want a challenge, or do you want something at least one of you already knows well in order to smooth things forward? What are the various team members' tastes in cars?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

monsterzero posted:

Gotcha. I wanted an ae86 for a while and then they had their tofu renaissance so I feel your pain. I could have bought a Corolla SR5 but it would have needed literally every part upgraded to be happy with it. I would have been better off saving my money for a couple years and buying what I wanted in the first place (assuming values don't triple in 12 episodes.) I ended up buying an AW11 instead. The moral of the story is you want a Japanese 80s RWD car, buy an MR2. They rule.
Pretty much this. Also "drift scene" cargo-cult mods are as annoying as the "rat look" poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So some 10 year old - or a castrado twenty something - has my wife's former number.
The little poo poo has been loving with anyone that has accidentally texted or called him since he got the number; being rude, cursing, name calling, threatening, etc...

First of all, why the gently caress does a ten year old have a phone?
Second of all what should I do about this? What would you do?
Call pretending to be competition that's been won, but say you need an adult's permission to sort out the XBox or whatever he's won, hopefully get his mother on the phone or to call you back, and give her the list of poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Another medic I talked with later in the day (HIPAA-scrubbed, of course), who I respect a TON and has been a medic for like 35 years, said I probably should have quickened the transition and done what the nurse asked/implied :ohdear:
Well, he can go drive an ambulance then. You were there, you made the call you felt was right, and it wasn't one that actively harmed anyone.

ExplodingSims posted:

Secret MRA was not what I was expecting out of that thread.
By MRA you mean Men's Rights Activist? Nothing about him comes across as one, he's just a bit of a melon who has some rather idiotic ideas about women and what they want, presumably because he's not actually encountered that many of them, never mind seen their bathrooms.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

It's not so much the quote that I posted as much as the wriest of the sillyness he posted after words
Yes, I read the thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

True, it's mostly sexism, but the MRA streak is evident in phrases like

Cage posted:

I doubt he wouldn't have gotten too much poo poo (but still some) if he didn't use the word "unfair". Thats hosed up.
Yeah, that's unrelated to anything "MRA". It's just sexist idiocy showing that he thinks either women get more than a 50/50 say in a couple's decisions, or - in my opinion, more likely to be what he meant - that they don't deserve that 50/50 because The Man is the one bankrolling everything.

And we thought LobsterboyX wanted to live in the 1950s...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

semantics aside the guy revealed himself to be a bigoted oval office so we can leave it at that
Basically.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

So a buddy of mine is looking at a 1999 Range Rover.

I told him to never buy a $2500 Range Rover, but other than that advice, what should he be looking for if he goes to check this out and how bad of a vehicle will it be for him?
It's a P38. It will break more. It is guaranteed to be in some way broken already.

Good that it's had the air suspension removed, as that's a common failure, but really? Leaf springs? Something tells me the owner doesn't know anything about the vehicle, and that's a big red flag.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Unless you see a really good deal, you may be better off looking for a used set of weights kit. Olympic bars and plates can be pricey new, but there's not that much you can do to hurt lumps of cast iron, and the 1" bar stuff isn't that wonderful (and comes with bugger all weight most of the time).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Would I be stupid to buy an E320
Yes.

Darchangel posted:

for $1000?
Someone else's, eh. Your $1000? Hahaha...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

Oh I agree. I am just thinking of the kids. My wife is terrified of them "tracking us down" if I file a report. If it was just me I would welcome them doing that. Old man thinking blurs that thought.
That would just add to the pile of poo poo that should be headed their way for their behaviour. gently caress them.

Rhyno posted:

You're allowed to send out a wedding invite without a "plus one" line on it right?

cakesmith handyman posted:

You can do what the gently caress you want, but people feel they can ignore or reinterpret things like that as they feel. Hell you could literally write "don't bring your batshit crazy wife" and they'll laugh it off and bring her anyway.
No point half-arsing it. Specifically put "NO plus ones", give people single "tickets" or badges etc, and have the venue staff instructed to remove those without.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

monsterzero posted:

In the game of wedding the only winning move is not to play.

angryrobots posted:

Hah, if I got an invite without the option of bringing my wife, that was a waste of a stamp.
The USPS should run that as an ad. "For only 49c, let anyone in the continental US know that you think their other half is really loving annoying".

wife is different from girlfriend/SO
"May they never meet"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

That's pretty cool, never seen that over here in the UK.

Went for another ride, broke a brake cable, survived. Need glasses for flying bugs.
If you're running rim brakes, Halfords have Clark's teflon cable sets for like :10bux:.

If discs, you can upgrade to Clark's hydraulics (M2 model) for £40 a set, which is :catdrugs: pricing, frankly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

wow how weird there are multiple sufferers of this strange and exceedingly rare visual hallucination disorder in this very thread
Doing a quick Google search gives me the impression it's a pretty common thing that loads of people experience in a mild way now and then?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

An old firehouse came up for sale near me some time ago, up a really neat old canyon area. It had two engine-length bays and the offices or whatever had already been converted to living space/kitchen/etc. Only a single floor, and a lot smaller than that one though.

They were asking $800,000k - I am a generally content person but I am still filled with angst that I didn't have the means to buy it.
Everybody has three mortgages these days.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Boo, the iPhone 4 I've been using since 2011 may finally have ceased functioning. No longer recognises SIM cards. Ah well, switching to the Samsung a friend gave me last year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm trying to figure out how vacation pay costs the company more/less than actually working, and I'm failing. When I've taken vacation, taxes were still taken out of my paycheck, and the company had to pay for it directly out of their own coffers.
You can partially or totally shut down and significantly reduce other overheads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That cost seems comparable to "normal" solar panels, if for example I covered the entire south-facing roof of my house with those instead of buying a panel system.

Plus they don't look like rear end, and seem to have a lifetime warranty?

If I were looking to get solar and/or needed to re-tile my roof, I'd certainly consider it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think Japan is probably still the standard to aim for in terms of how rail travel should work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Route them through major cities and give the rest of the country regular trains?
Have a cute girl with a little trolley walking between carriages selling cold beer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The thing is, if we (as a species or as a given country) really wanted to step up space tech stuff, it's not that expensive in big picture terms. I worked it out once and I think the entire Apollo programme, start to finish and adjusted for inflation, cost less than a year of the NHS.

So if the US is going to continue to gently caress people on healthcare, you could at least spend the money on something cool like big loving rockets.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So what you're saying is, if I got cancer and decided I wanted to just die they could put me in a rocket and fire me into space? Sounds cool.
Dignitas Orbital Ltd. You heard it here first, folks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

gently caress YOU HAYNES!
My favourite brake servos are the ones where the arrangement of the engine and other stuff in the bay means you can unbolt it in two minutes, but that fucker is never coming out without at least three other major components being removed first.

See also:

VAG Engineer 1: "We can make this engine a non-crossflow design, put the exhaust manifold and turbo immediately below the inlet manifold"

VAG Engineer 2: "Cool, it makes the packaging more compact, and people can easily get at it all"

VAG Engineer 1: "Nah, put it at the back side of the engine bay and get that poo poo rammed up against the firewall, then give a clear foot of space around the front of the engine just to rub it in"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My manager has handed his notice in, and I think I'm going to apply for the position. It's a bit different to what I do normally, obviously, and would likely be a steep learning curve, but I feel like I shouldn't let the opportunity pass me by.

The only other people in the engineering department who might be able to apply are significantly (25+ years) older than me and probably retiring in the near future, so internally I think I'd be the only one going for it, plus the instant the news came out I had two people (someone in engineering and someone in quality) say I should apply.

I basically feel like I'd be a lot better positioned for it if it were a little more down the line and I could work with my manager to move toward that kind of role, with him being here for say another 5 years, but if he's going now, well, he's going now, and if I don't go for it and the role is taken by someone more my age, it kind of blocks that path for a longer time.

If I didn't get it, I think I'd kind of get a second bite at progression by applying to be the senior engineer when he retires.

Anyone else found themselves in this kind of scenario?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Take it.

5 years of pushing yourself is a hell of a lot better than 5 years of regretting not taking an opportunity.
Well, I can apply for it, but it's not like I've been asked to take the role.

Though they've appointed people much less capable than I am in positions just as senior, so there's that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beep-beep car is go posted:

This but be prepared for Politics. I had a similar thing happen at my last job and even though I was the most qualified on the team (experience, certificates and my own opinion so get that grain of salt out) I was passed right over because I wasn't buddy buddy with the director.
Yes, I'm going to apply.

Politics may occur, and I may not get it, but it wouldn't be being "passed over" in the sense of it going to someone else here. The potential candidate pool is pretty small, and the people in it are firmly in "only X years till retirement" mode.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That or a throat spray that numbs.
I find those sprays like Covonia that include a numbing effect can be quite good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Glenlivet does a good one but it doesn't come with an applicator
That's probably why I consistently overshoot "numbed throat" to "can't feel my face".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

poo poo dude I got a 2,2 degree and I've never had to actually tell anyone that when getting a job, it's literally never mattered.
Yeah, Enourmo, I've probably failed more exams than you've taken. But things like degrees are a ratchet, once you get up that next click, you're good, how and how long don't matter any more. Then get yourself in the door somewhere, and it becomes about your capability, people have seen too many imbeciles with massive theoretical knowledge and great qualifications who can't actually do anything. Get that inertia of being known as competent and things just kind of roll along with or without the qualification.

In some areas of my life, I'm both terminally lazy and quite rubbish. But people don't see that so much if the bit that directly affects them is going according to plan.

And yes, you are not your mother, and the world she was dealing with is not the world as it is now.

In other news, I spent the morning hanging out with the guys from Regular Car Reviews, they're good blokes. Cappo had loads of people wanting a poke around or sit in it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just had a long chat session with an Ebay rep after they sent me a snotty message about not giving people contact info and complaining about "selling outside of ebay". They really don't seem to get that when you're selling poo poo like used engines, people want to come and look at them before buying, and if someone's driven 100+miles to look at something and wants to buy it, you can't really force them to use the buy-it-now option. Apparently you have to make people buy something before giving them an address or phone number, and hey, you can cancel the transaction if they don't want it, and they might remove any resulting bad feedback.

Favourite bit is that they don't want to have any kind of option to allow people to say "yeah, I've sold this" and pay the fees. They literally refuse to let you pay them the money they're upset about not making from fees, while trying to force you to do things in a way that makes it harder to sell stuff and thus generate fees in the first place.

Speaking of Ebay people, FFS, if you buy a set of four alloy wheels with tyres - which have clearly been descibed as being less than brilliant condition and not that great at holding air - for forty quid, don't turn up and act disappointed that they are, in fact, a bit manky, then ask what "best price" is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, other favourite trick/mistake is people putting the quantity as "4" or whatever, so when they intended it to be a set of wheels for £100, they've listed it as £100 each. It takes a certain amount of effort to explain to them that they need to either send or accept an offer of 4x£25 if they intend it to be that price.

Best bit is I just looked up the car he said he was getting them for, and it looks like it's a different PCD, so good luck with that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Forty quid????

For that price, he'd be lucky that they weren't square.
They were quite rough and not at all rare (16" five spokes from a mk1 Audi A3, so fit Golfs etc), didn't owe me a penny, don't fit anything I own, and were kind of in the way, so I had them up at "get them gone" pricing of £49 or best offer.

Someone offered £25. :fuckoff:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously, what's scrap value over there? At that price you've got to be near or below the scrap price to just recycle them.
Probably about what I sold them for, TBH, but this way I didn't have to go weigh them in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

But that's not the only surprise. Apparently 275/55R20 have become so common that replacement tires are cheaper than the 275/65R18s that came on it. Wtf, I remember when 20's used to be a stupid expensive waste of money size that only came on luxury poo poo and only lasted 15k tops.
Conversely, good luck finding performance-oriented tyres in small sizes. 14", 13" other than classic Mini common sizes and so on. 15" still not too bad, helped by a lot of older performance stuff like classic Ford hot hatches, though this used to be your best bang for the buck diameter. 16" hasn't fallen off the radar yet, but it seems 17" is a good price sweet spot for decent tyres nowadays.

*Pours out a 40 1.1L for the dudes running metric wheels*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Ive got a set of awesome 80s gold Saab TRX spec alloys that I need to go weigh in as nobody wants to buy them and the tyres are too expensive; but having to do this makes me sad :(
Would they suit being used as wall art or repurposing as barstools?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Just always put in the eBay ad that the item is for sale locally, and may be ended due to local sale, and then pull it because "the item is no longer available" when you hand it to the buyer. eBay doesn't need to know that you sold it to someone who contacted you via eBay. They got your listing fee. If they won't make accommodations for the situation you described, gently caress them. They need to change to fit how people want to use the service, not the other way 'round.

Unfortunately, you generally get a zero listing fee in the UK, so they are losing out on money, and they can see if you've has someone asking about addresses or phone numbers - I specifically asked about all the listing with contact details in the description, and apparently THAT is a breach of policy too.

But your attitude is the one I took with them, and they're just not bloody interested. All they want to do us threaten people with account suspension for breaching a policy that really doesn't work for certain types of sale.

It's a pretty typical computer-says-no scenario.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Currently keeping my eye out for any interesting looking alloys that crop up in 5.5x13 4x98 for cheap.
I have a set of original Uno Turbo alloys in my stash. See if you can find some of those, they've got a nice classic sort of "Compomotive TH" look to them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You know you're getting :corsair: when you can insure 5 vehicles for under a grand without even going to a specialist company...

Can we not argue about what voodoo is voodoo and what voodoo is actual for real voodoo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fz85FE0KtQ

That reminds me I should be buying hybrid tyres for my bike instead of alloys for my car. Boo.
If it's an MTB, I'd recommend what are similar to BMX hardpack tyres, I used to use the DMR Moto RT, gives you the volume benefit of a "full size" MTB tyre but faster rolling.

The £400 mountain bike I bought 4 years ago has front suspension and 3x gearing. I wish I'd known this back then.
Problem is, it's bloody hard finding a rigid fork nowadays.

• Locked thread