Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've got stihl gear at work that sits for month and months with partial tanks of fuel in them with no ill effect. Chainsaws, augers, concrete saws and all of them are still going fine. The concrete saw is a bit sensitive to being tipped over (floods the carb and soaks the air filter) but that's also about 20 years old now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well I just got in writing that if I've got annual leave I should take it before end of financial year because we're completely over budget and there's going to be no funding until next year so I might as well be on holidays instead of sweeping out the shed. Even the state lands manager suggested we all take 6 weeks leave...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

6 weeks? Holy poo poo.

I've only had one job where you could roll over vacation days year to year, and even then, they wouldn't let you take more than 2 weeks at a time.

e: MURIKA

We're allowed to hold onto our leave year to year, but we're meant to have below 150hrs accrued at all times, which is down from what we used to do which was 250hrs in accrual. At one stage before our house was built I was banking up as much leave as possible to take 7-8 weeks leave to finish the house off when we got hand over, but because settlement got pushed out i was always sitting with about 7 weeks accrued up waiting.

Then I got my leave paid in, as well as three extra weeks that had not been paid in for working weekends for three years, on top of the 7 weeks sitting there. 14 weeks accrued up. 532hrs. My manager had a shitfit and i had 6 weeks off for a holiday, then took 8 weeks off for the house, then had another few holidays until i got it back down to 150hrs.

Tho we're all thinking at work that its 100% not our fault that our management hosed the books up so badly, so why should we be forced to take our personal leave because they cant afford to have us actually do any work other than mindless busy work. I'll happily take time off if they dont want us kicking around at work, but only if its absent on duty leave with full pay. Otherwise they can pay me to come in and sit in the lunchroom.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

InitialDave posted:

You can partially or totally shut down and significantly reduce other overheads.

Pretty much this. If we're at home and not at work we're not driving around burning diesel, not using power tools using 2 stroke fuel, they dont have to try and think of work for us to do that doesnt require buying stuff to fix poo poo. Its less stressful on a budget thats already $10K overspent and climbing to not have anyone around.

Our wages are already accounted for- they get taken out of our sections budget and put aside at the start of the financial year- We get autopay so regardless of what we do for a time sheet or even if we put a time sheet in we get paid our base rate and then they modify the next fortnights pay according to your time sheets (Or several fortnights later if you only get near a computer after a month or so to do the timesheet)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I'll keep that in mind, and that is a worry of mine: I want to avoid agressive steroids at least, as I'm already on them for asthma

With my partner and her Ulcerative Colitis its stress thats the big trigger for her, so she took the massive plunge of a radical career change (went from environmental sciences in construction to teaching of all things!) and it caused 99% of her symptoms to settle down unless shes having a rough time at school (like getting thrown in the deep end by getting a term contract two days before the term starts because the last teacher just walked out and took all their resources with them) which causes them to flare back up again.

Diet really didnt help her much, but it had a MASSIVE impact on her brother who has UC AND Crones. He cut out all gluten, basically went to veg+meat only and its made him go from not being able to leave the house to nearly having a normal life.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Flynn is drat near textbook treason (Aiding a comforting enemies, which ISIS certainly is). No wonder he was desperate for immunity.

Holy gently caress this has gone waaaaay beyond dumpster fire.

I think the entire dump is on fire now

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I'm eventually going to drop a 1080 into my rig when I have some spare money but that's mostly cos I refuse to run my dell 27" at below its native 2560x1440 resolution.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

600 odd km from home, noticed a bit of play in my RF wheel bearing. Gonna just ignore it til I get home

Ive run wheel bearings so loose you could physically wobble the wheel while stationary and also run them so tight they turned the races blue for thousands of kms no worries.

When the taper roller bearings in your wheels are nearly an inch thick across their face you can get away with a lot of abuse :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I'd love a set of those, but i dont think it would have the travel to lift the landcruiser or the other 4wd's i service up off the ground by the time the suspension reached full droop and i would be TERRIFIED to get under a 3.2+ tonne 4wd held up by one those. Its sketchy enough on a 3.5T hoist cos they REALLY shouldn't noticeably labour when the load comes on.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

We've been a metric nation since 1988 here in Australia and you still get hosed over by hardware shops stocking American Fuckery bolts and nuts. At least we only have BSP threads on our plumbing fittings.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Then theres the perpetual slapfight between ISO metric and JIS metric. Same thread diameter, same thread pitch, different loving head size. A JIS M8 is a 8mm thread diameter with a 12mm head. An ISO is an 8mm thread diameter with a loving 13mm head on it! Just to make you have to crawl back out from under the car to get a second socket halfway through removing a bashplate.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

JIS cross head screws can suck a dick

Robertson drive for lyfe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Welcome, friend. Join the brotherhood of "gently caress THIS poo poo" former mechanics.

Not a single person I went to auto school with is still in the trade, they're all salespeople of some flavor or another. At least in that field you get some return on your soul.

Everyone keeps asking me why Im not a professional mechanic with how good I am at fixing mechanical poo poo and it boils down to the fact that if i did this every day, i'd hate it. Never make your hobby your profession unless your 100% comfortable with resenting your hobby for the rest of your life.

• Locked thread