Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

bolind posted:

Commuting on a bike in anything above freezing is just a matter of the right clothes/gear and a dash of HTFU. I biked to work, on average, every other (work) day in November-December-January.

I would love to bike to work but there aren't any showers there or nearby. Even when the weather is nice I would definitely need a shower after a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Depending on the specifics I could be up a few grand or down a few hundred on a solar roof per that calculator. Too bad the roof would cost $30-50k and take 30 years to recoup. I don't plan on being in this house for more than a couple more years and I can reshingle it (myself) for a few grand.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I solve problems. Usually technical problems at least somewhat infosec related but sometimes I just fix random poo poo around the office. I get paid pretty well (for the midwest) and usually have fun with my friends at work all day. Other than being in the midwest everything is great.

BraveUlysses posted:

how do i move into infosec? looks like an interesting and soon to be booming industry
I'm in infosec but I just kinda fell into the field and don't really know how to get in without an IT background. The field is desperate for competent people though and there are a lot of entry level analyst positions out there. EY (and I assume the other big firms) seem to hire just about anyone judging by all the very expensive morons they keep sending us so maybe that's an in. People that like to tinker and solve problems tend to be valuable. Python, Powershell, and Bash scripting all go a long way.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

... been trying to see the bottom of every bottle of beer in Indiana.
To be fair, I'm not sure what else you would do in Indiana.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

There's no way the engineers designing that juicer had any intention of making something efficient or profitable. That had to have been someone's joke design before they submitted the real one but then it got accepted. They were probably like "this whole project is loving ludicrous but have you seen how much VC money we have to play with?" It was probably a once in a career opportunity to just go balls out and build something with no oversight or restrictions.

• Locked thread