Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I will be 33 and am not responsible enough to own a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

I'm working the elliptical so hard I broke the welds again. Did some reading and this seems to be an issue with the model but I'm not the original owner A) can't get it replaced and B) already had it welded once. But my buddy says he can weld it back up tomorrow and he has access to some hardcore strong poo poo that we are going to use to add some strength and hopefully keep this from happening again because I don't have the scratch to replace the whole thing right now and I don't want to pay for a gym membership.

Buy a bike. Only I break those that much.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Simple - you take it easy going on the outbound / warmup then you give it hell coming back. I only did 16.2 kms but the last 10 minutes was progressively harder until I go 5 minutes at close to or over max effort. Fall off bike at front door.

I either ride up a hill or into a headwind on the way out (mostly the latter because it is flat as gently caress here). That way you can kill yourself on the way out and get home.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

An activity that is fun (like cycling, but other work) is more sustainable long term than just getting on a machine and exercising in one place.
Also doing 6 hours on a machine would make me suicidal, while I'm literally going on a vacation where I will ride my bike plus 50lbs of poo poo 6+ hours a day. For fun.
The reason weight loss doesn't stick is because people don't keep the lifestyle change after they lose the weight. Having something you enjoy doing really helps, whether that is cycling, playing a sport, or even running.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What's the difference between riding in place or seeing the same scenery every time you ride? I have a bike that I ride for enjoyment on the beach and trails, and I have a spin bike for daily exercise because quite frankly I've lived in this area for 30 years and it all looks and feels the same, so I'd rather not ride in the stifling heat or on busy roads with idiot drivers in an area that's no different one day to the next no matter how many routes I take. When I have time and the weather is nice and I want to enjoy myself, I put my bike on my car and go to the beach or local trail for a ride. When I just want to have a quick leg workout I jump on the spin bike. It's nice having both, and I have plenty of other activities that keep me outside so I don't need to be out on the roads.
I love exploring different areas. Plus everything changes all the time.
I did spin intervals for a while and it made me want to shoot myself.
Plus strava segments make things more fun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Siochain posted:

Please try that up where I live in the winter :)
I don't want to go down this road too far, but up in the bike thread we have people in winnipeg riding year round, so.
Minneapolis also has a huge number of year round bike commuters. Takes a dash of htfu though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

funny Star Wars parody posted:

FOX 9 MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL: Local goon has died today after attempting to ride bicycle to work in misguided attempt for mancard points and internet bragging rights. "I dont know why he decided to ride his bike today", Mrs. Goon said last night, "the snow was four feet deep and not even cars were attempting to go out today."

Mr. Goon hit an ice patch and fell to his death in front of an salt truck. His memorial service is to be announced.

Nokian makes bike snow tires, it'll be fine.
Also, fat bikes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Re: back pain. Going to a DO worked better for me than an MD. DO sent me to a PT, which did a lot of good v. The MD who just wanted to give me pills.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

rdb posted:

What happened to the horse?

Clearly OP poisoned it as a scheme to get the kids out of the house.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

everdave posted:

There is a 104k mile Boxster that has had the IMS done local guy asking 5800 and wants it gone. I'm sure 5 would buy it. I just can't. Got 3 cars in the drive away and major projects going. If anyone wants the info let me know. Silver/black car.

This is the type of post that needs a location on it.

Also, until last month, I basically told cops "no" and tried to get them to listen to me. Now I both tell cops "no" and say "no" for cops and no one listens to me.

Also, I ride bikes. No one pays me to do that.

What should I do in Jackson, MS when it is raining? It is a rest day today, I have a rental car (theme of the south so far, really lovely drivers, but really good to cyclists. I am deeply confused) until 6.
I already had some good bbq and beer last night at some hipster place and maybe want something more real.

Also, like half the taps were Stone. In Mississippi. Next sam adams?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Good, dry ciders are amazing. There's been a guy making decent cider in sacramento for a decade and it has kind of spoiled me.
However, sweet cider sells better and he's started selling his soul a bit. Still serves the dry stuff at his cidery though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Raluek posted:

Who is it, and do they sell in the bay area? Always interested in finding new stuff. Sonoma Cider and Wildcide have been my favorites recently.

Two rivers and maybe.
Vince is amazingly bad at marketing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Hi I'm Bender. :v:

Please insert girder?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My alloy rims have Chris Kings with ceramic bearings. Bomb proof.
Mr. Phillip Wood laughs in your general direction.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhh. Right

And I bet they dont have the swarm of angry bees sound. Cause BEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ is one of the best ways to alert pedestrians ever.

They make less noise than Chris King (though more than cheap hubs), but they'll out last me. And you know how i am with bike parts.

Kings are much more finicky and harder to service.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That I doubt -. KIngs are dead easy to service and no where near finnicky in my experience. Plus the big win is King provide any amount of documentation so they can be self serviced with ease.

Phil literally sends a rebuild kit with the hubs for when you need to do it 5 years from now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

Here's a crazy thought -- maybe they're BOTH good hubs and the real challenge is to see that.

Chris Kings are for when you want to win the race.
Phils are for when you want to ride around the planet, loaded, several times. They have different uses. Kings are great hubs, but they're not the gold standard of bombproof.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And you accuse me of being a dick? Piss off.

Well... I disagree with that assessment, mostly because Kings are built to do MTB style drop ins even in road form - the current R45's have outlasted two frames and three rims, which is not unusual for Ck's at all. I would contend they are a gold standard just by how much punishment they are proven to take and shrug it off.
King won't even make a tandem hub with more than 36 holes. It indicates what they're designing for and it ain't the apocalypse of freds on 100lb bikes.

eyebeem posted:

CK will make dentists stop and say "nice hubs!" Phils will make the ghost of Sheldon Brown stop and say "your hubs are appropriate."

This is the truth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blk posted:

So, who here would give up beef for sports cars? I know I would.

Does this account for the massive increase in methane produced by humans eating beans?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

$750 will get you a full day in M4s and M3s with BMW's M Car Control Clinic which is well worth it
$750 will get you 90 minutes in the Porsche GT4 which doesn't sound like it's worth it
$1550 will get you a full day of the M School at either of BMW's performance centers (Thermal, CA and Greenville, SC)

I don't know if it still exists, but porsche world road show was the best thing. When I was in SoCal (they hit a bunch of major cities), they would rent autoclub speedway and let people drive 911s around it (lead follow) for free.
Yeah, you had to go through some marketing poo poo and also drive their SUVs for a bit, but for zero dollars it was a great deal. Also free food.
When I moved from socal, I wasn't on the right lists, so I don't know if it still exists. It was only a few laps, but again, free.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Enourmo posted:

welp i'm 29 now, one more year and i can officially call myself Almost Old.

Now to figure out something I can do to celebrate that's low-budget and fits my lazy holiday mindset...

Remember this is the last year where anything you do can be a "youthful indiscretion." Once you're in you're thirties, you're hosed when you screw up? But 20s? Everyone excuses that poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

eyebeem posted:

Currently paying $3,000~/month for two kids in daycare. It's going to be an insane windfall in a few years.

What does the snip cost?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

where in the world are you spending $100k/yr on university jesus christ

This place called 'murica. If you don't live in one of the few states with good public options, it can get pricey. Even out of state tuition at a good state school ia expensive as balls. Also, in 18 years, it will be way more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

in 18 years there probbo wont be much of america left but i see

somehow michigan has decent universities i guess

They do, but go look at what university of michigan costs out of state (45 loving grand tuition only).
Also, I will say that if your kid is smart/jard working enough to get into the really big name privates, it would be really nice to actually be able to afford that. The networking opportunities are just loving amazing at like harvard, stanford, and yale -- it is a big part as to why my stanford and yale educated aunt is rich as gently caress. It has less to do with the quality of education, but the doors it opens.
If you make to much money for scholarships (but not enough to just pay easy) the $300k in debt is kinda a killer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

The really big league schools don't cost much to attend, they have endowments out the rear end to pay for everything. I was interviewed by MIT way back and they pretty much said "if you get in, don't worry about tuition, that's usually handled from grants/scholarships." But I didn't make the cut. :eng99:

Kinda. If your parents bought a 300k house in the bay area 20 years ago, good loving luck.
Need based aid is great, but there is a pretty significant swath of people in high cost areas who get missed and hopefully they have savings or they're gonna get missed.
My school had 100% need based aid, but there were a fair number of people from those coasts who just missed out and needed loans. This was 15 years ago though and maybe they've improved a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So irritated right now.

Some of my extended family has found out about the impending wedding and are being pretty salty about not being invited EVER THOUGH WE HAVEN'T EVEN SENT OUT SAVE THE DATES YET.

And one of them I haven't even spoken to in 11 years. I hate family.

It is really helpful to narrow down who you aren't inviting.

• Locked thread